PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chambers, Cassel try to be on the same page

Tribal Warfare
11-13-2009, 12:40 AM
Chambers, Cassel try to be on the same page (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1567328.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chris Chambers had achieved something rare in his career. He was released last week by San Diego, and that was the end of a good run.

Chambers, now a Chiefs wide receiver, and quarterback Philip Rivers had played together for more than two seasons. They knew each other’s tendencies and strengths. They had learned the boundaries of trust. They knew where not to go, too. Time together does that, especially for a wide receiver who has played now for three teams and with, he estimated Thursday, a dozen quarterbacks in nine seasons.

“I kind of was getting used to Philip a little bit,” Chambers said. “I at least got two years with one quarterback.”

There’s a new one now to learn. Chambers said he and Matt Cassel are getting to know each other, but there’s no doubting that both are at the front end of a relationship that could end anytime and will be tested in difficult and constant ways. Cassel hasn’t had much consistency on his end, either. Since training camp, Kansas City has added five new wide receivers — all of whom have had to prepare, adjust and play at a moment’s notice. Some did not pass their tests, and they were quickly given up on.

Chambers is the latest new wide receiver for Cassel to learn, and Cassel is the newest quarterback for Chambers to learn.

“You’d love to develop some rapport and a relationship with your receivers,” Cassel said Thursday.

It helped this last Sunday, when Cassel and Chambers connected for two touchdown passes late in the fourth quarter. Chambers didn’t know the terminology for his routes. Cassel had to translate. Somehow, it worked.

After that game, Chiefs coach Todd Haley told reporters that the time needed to establish a relationship between a quarterback and a wide receiver is an “overrated” phenomenon. Haley backed off that statement Thursday, saying he was in a bad mood after Sunday’s loss at Jacksonville and because Chambers and Cassel had worked so well together despite three practice days together.

“That’s important,” Haley conceded. “Guys, the more they work together, get on the same page. We do a lot of things to try to get those guys on the same page.”

One of the most helpful things, Haley said, is a pre-pregame routine he said he established in 1997, when he was wide-receivers coach for the New York Jets. New players would cycle in and out, and Haley discovered that it was helpful for wide receivers and quarterbacks to spend time together on the field before the rest of their teammates and coaches joined them.

They play catch, make jokes, and let the time pass on the field they’ll play on in a few hours. It was a way to hurry along, if not force, a bond between two positions that perhaps have the heaviest reliance on trust and feel.

It worked well enough for Chambers that he felt comfortable with Cassel in a desperate situation.

Chambers passed his first test, and that’s something others haven’t done. Ashley Lelie and Amani Toomer didn’t make it out of Chiefs training camp. Somehow, Chambers and Bobby Wade, with little prep time with their quarterback, haven’t been fazed. Both were productive in their first games with the Chiefs, and they are big reasons why Haley said he thinks a once-unstable unit has begun to make some noticeable progress.

Haley didn’t say what skills Wade and Chambers possess that helped them to adapt so quickly. Wade said he has some ideas.

“Experience has an awful lot to do with it,” he said. “Chris being in a few different systems, myself being in a few different systems, able to pick the offense up quickly — it definitely helps. Just knowing that the game is still the same.”

Wade said he is far more comfortable with Cassel than he was that first week, but he admitted that it’s a never-ending education. Chambers said he hopes to play with Cassel long enough to forge a relationship similar to the one he once had with Rivers.

Until then, they’ll have to rely on other skills to make their union work.

“You’ve kind of got to get there and know what you’re doing. Experience always prevails,” Chambers said. “It’s going to get to the point where he’s just going to throw one up, and I’m going to have to make a play for him. That’s where we’re going to get to.”

Count Alex's Losses
11-13-2009, 12:42 AM
I wonder if Chambers is bitter about the Chargers. He might have a good game against them later this year.

Bane
11-13-2009, 12:56 AM
I wonder if Chambers is bitter about the Chargers. He might have a good game against them later this year.

I hope so,seeing as Cro-hardley said we've never had a passing game.:cuss:

Tribal Warfare
11-13-2009, 01:05 AM
I hope so,seeing as Cro-hardley said we've never had a passing game.:cuss:

With Cassel as QB it could be a prophetic answer

Simply Red
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Chambers, Cassel try to be on the same page (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1567328.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Chris Chambers had achieved something rare in his career. He was released last week by San Diego, and that was the end of a good run.

Chambers, now a Chiefs wide receiver, and quarterback Philip Rivers had played together for more than two seasons. They knew each other’s tendencies and strengths. They had learned the boundaries of trust. They knew where not to go, too. Time together does that, especially for a wide receiver who has played now for three teams and with, he estimated Thursday, a dozen quarterbacks in nine seasons.

“I kind of was getting used to Philip a little bit,” Chambers said. “I at least got two years with one quarterback.”

There’s a new one now to learn. Chambers said he and Matt Cassel are getting to know each other, but there’s no doubting that both are at the front end of a relationship that could end anytime and will be tested in difficult and constant ways. Cassel hasn’t had much consistency on his end, either. Since training camp, Kansas City has added five new wide receivers — all of whom have had to prepare, adjust and play at a moment’s notice. Some did not pass their tests, and they were quickly given up on.

Chambers is the latest new wide receiver for Cassel to learn, and Cassel is the newest quarterback for Chambers to learn.

“You’d love to develop some rapport and a relationship with your receivers,” Cassel said Thursday.

It helped this last Sunday, when Cassel and Chambers connected for two touchdown passes late in the fourth quarter. Chambers didn’t know the terminology for his routes. Cassel had to translate. Somehow, it worked.

After that game, Chiefs coach Todd Haley told reporters that the time needed to establish a relationship between a quarterback and a wide receiver is an “overrated” phenomenon. Haley backed off that statement Thursday, saying he was in a bad mood after Sunday’s loss at Jacksonville and because Chambers and Cassel had worked so well together despite three practice days together.

“That’s important,” Haley conceded. “Guys, the more they work together, get on the same page. We do a lot of things to try to get those guys on the same page.”

One of the most helpful things, Haley said, is a pre-pregame routine he said he established in 1997, when he was wide-receivers coach for the New York Jets. New players would cycle in and out, and Haley discovered that it was helpful for wide receivers and quarterbacks to spend time together on the field before the rest of their teammates and coaches joined them.

They play catch, make jokes, and let the time pass on the field they’ll play on in a few hours. It was a way to hurry along, if not force, a bond between two positions that perhaps have the heaviest reliance on trust and feel.

It worked well enough for Chambers that he felt comfortable with Cassel in a desperate situation.

Chambers passed his first test, and that’s something others haven’t done. Ashley Lelie and Amani Toomer didn’t make it out of Chiefs training camp. Somehow, Chambers and Bobby Wade, with little prep time with their quarterback, haven’t been fazed. Both were productive in their first games with the Chiefs, and they are big reasons why Haley said he thinks a once-unstable unit has begun to make some noticeable progress.

Haley didn’t say what skills Wade and Chambers possess that helped them to adapt so quickly. Wade said he has some ideas.

“Experience has an awful lot to do with it,” he said. “Chris being in a few different systems, myself being in a few different systems, able to pick the offense up quickly — it definitely helps. Just knowing that the game is still the same.”

Wade said he is far more comfortable with Cassel than he was that first week, but he admitted that it’s a never-ending education. Chambers said he hopes to play with Cassel long enough to forge a relationship similar to the one he once had with Rivers.

Until then, they’ll have to rely on other skills to make their union work.

“You’ve kind of got to get there and know what you’re doing. Experience always prevails,” Chambers said. “It’s going to get to the point where he’s just going to throw one up, and I’m going to have to make a play for him. That’s where we’re going to get to.”

Ty Tribal

Micjones
11-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey, that Dwayne Bowe guy's pretty good too...

Demonpenz
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
how ****ing hard is it to get on the same page, there's only a couple

MahiMike
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM

What software are you doing those drawings with?

Demonpenz
11-13-2009, 12:06 PM
What software are you doing those drawings with?

autocad

Demonpenz
11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
dfasdf

Demonpenz
11-13-2009, 12:13 PM
stuff

CoMoChief
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM

HAHAHA!!! ROFL

bevischief
11-13-2009, 12:37 PM
autocad

ROFLROFLROFL

What version?

The_Doctor10
11-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Hey, that Dwayne Bowe guy's pretty good too...

Cassel's not allowed to throw it to Bowe, he might drop it.

Mr. Laz
11-13-2009, 03:28 PM
"seems to me Cassel is better when he's not on the same page with a WR /Wade"

Raised On Riots
11-13-2009, 05:00 PM
autocad

ROFL Rrrrright...

dfasdf

Awesome work as always.

milkman
11-13-2009, 07:34 PM
The inanity of the articles coming from the KC Star is mind numbing.

Easy 6
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
'you'd love to develop some rapport...' - Cassel

(para) 'chemistry is overrated' - Haley

Are there glimmers of Cassel pushing back, in veiled & subdued terms? maybe starting to get comfortable enough personally with Haley, to do it?, 'ie; coach, stop slinging guys in & out of here ****ing willy-nilly.' btw - Mark Castle?, Dwayne Bowe, that one guy?... he's 'open' a lot more than you seem to realize.

Then Haley's sounding kinda defensive & apologetic at the same time... 'ah, i was having a bad day... but we do all kinds of things to get you ready though'.

2010 had better be a seminal/epiphany year for this team, small market or no, theres no denying that the heat is full on in KC.

Raised On Riots
11-14-2009, 12:20 AM
'you'd love to develop some rapport...' - Cassel

(para) 'chemistry is overrated' - Haley

Are there glimmers of Cassel pushing back, in veiled & subdued terms? maybe starting to get comfortable enough personally with Haley, to do it?, 'ie; coach, stop slinging guys in & out of here ****ing willy-nilly.' btw - Mark Castle?, Dwayne Bowe, that one guy?... he's 'open' a lot more than you seem to realize.

Then Haley's sounding kinda defensive & apologetic at the same time... 'ah, i was having a bad day... but we do all kinds of things to get you ready though'.

2010 had better be a seminal/epiphany year for this team, small market or no, theres no denying that the heat is full on in KC.

Haley, Cassel try to be on the same page?:D (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1567328.html)

Pioli Zombie
11-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Another brilliant headline. Actually, I thought Cassel and Chambers wanted to suck.
Posted via Mobile Device