PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs LCD Calibration Anyone?

laser1972
11-14-2009, 05:51 AM
I think Best Buy's Geek Squad does it, but its $300.00.. Didn't know if anyone does it on the side.. Or recommend anyone cheaper?

Im not talking about bringing over a DVD , real equipment is used.

Thanks everyone..

WhitiE
11-14-2009, 09:58 PM
go buy the dvd and save yourself some money man. i doubt your setup really needs to be professionally calibrated....

Scorp
11-14-2009, 10:08 PM
$300.00 for a professional calibration is a steal, considering the equipment used costs more then 15k.

Johnny Vegas
11-14-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm gonna say go with the colab if you don't have a protection plan on the tv. If you do have a plan don't get it or you'll never be able to use the plan since the colab only helps the life of the tv. I pray my stuff goes to shit when I buy a protection plan. Just me tho.

Silock
11-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Get the DVD and calibrate it with your eyes. You're the one who will be watching it 99% of the time. If it looks good to you, then WGAF?

UteChief
11-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Check out AVSforum.com, someone there can recommend a good calibrator.

mikeyis4dcats.
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM
a little known secret is that most tvs have calibration settings posted on the internet. While it may not be EXACTLY what you'd get it's close enough that saving $300 is worth a try to see how you like it.

Don't bother doing anything until after the initial burn-in period though.

WhitiE
11-15-2009, 10:21 AM
seriously dude if you got your tv calibrated i would probably think you were weetahded. i work for a store that sent a guy to get training for the calibration and its all nice and everything but not worth the money. go buy the $30 dvd or however much it costs and do it yourself. that way u have a more understanding of what each setting does. like brightness has to do with white levels and contrast has to do with black levels..... what kind of tv you got anyways?

Miles
11-15-2009, 11:52 AM
a little known secret is that most tvs have calibration settings posted on the internet. While it may not be EXACTLY what you'd get it's close enough that saving $300 is worth a try to see how you like it.

Don't bother doing anything until after the initial burn-in period though.

Great suggestion. It will not be exact since all sets are slightly different but it can get you damn close. The avsforum is a good source if your set is somewhat common.

laser1972
11-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I have a hdtv projector, a LCD and a plasma..

There seems to be pros and cons for each...Using the DVD and having someone use their 15K equipment..

I have seen some of the TV's at best Buy that have been calibrated, especially the new LED ones, it looks amazing, almost 3D like

Maybe i should just bite the bullet, have one done, if its worth it, i will get more done, if Not, i'm only out $300 and I can bitch on here not to get it done

Thanks everyone

Silock
11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
SOFA

KING

WE

TODD

ED

Miles
11-16-2009, 01:17 AM
I have a hdtv projector, a LCD and a plasma..

There seems to be pros and cons for each...Using the DVD and having someone use their 15K equipment..

I have seen some of the TV's at best Buy that have been calibrated, especially the new LED ones, it looks amazing, almost 3D like

Maybe i should just bite the bullet, have one done, if its worth it, i will get more done, if Not, i'm only out $300 and I can bitch on here not to get it done

Thanks everyone

Before you go out and spend $300 you might want to post what set you are looking to get calibrated. If they are somewhat recent and higher end models you may see a nice benefit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Get the new version of Avia or DVE II.

Do not ever have the geek squad do anything for you under any circumstances, even if someone has a fucking gun to your head.

I went into BB this weekend to look at three TVs before I decided which one I was going to order on the 'Net.

an LG Full Array LED TV, a Sammy Edge Lit Model, and a Panasonic V10 plasma.

I looked at the first two and got a good idea of glare problems (my main concern, as I'm not too concerned with looking at PQ in a B&M store when their TVs are set on torch mode and the lighting obscures any contrast problems). Then, I asked the guy if they had any V10's in stock.

His response: No, but they have an S10, and that would be better than a V10 if I would let the professionals at the GS calibrate it.

Now, an idiot may have been swayed, but if someone actually did their research on TVs they'd know that the S10 isn't just a lower model than the V10, but the S10 is two models below, has fewer real lines of resolution, a slower refresh rate, worse contrast, etc.

When I told him that the V10 had far more optimization modes, he also told me that it was b/c of it's THX mode (false) and that it didn't have individual adjustments for colors (false).

Don't ever, ever shop at a Best Buy. Use it to get an idea of what something looks like, but remember that they train their employees to prey upon the ignorant. They're fucking parasites.

Johnny Vegas
11-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Do not ever have the geek squad do anything for you under any circumstances, even if someone has a ****ing gun to your head.

I went into BB this weekend to look at three TVs before I decided which one I was going to order on the 'Net.

I looked at the first two and got a good idea of glare problems (my main concern, as I'm not too concerned with looking at PQ in a B&M store when their TVs are set on torch mode and the lighting obscures any contrast problems). Then, I asked the guy if they had any V10's in stock.

His response: No, but they have an S10, and that would be better than a V10 if I would let the professionals at the GS calibrate it.

Now, an idiot may have been swayed, but if someone actually did their research on TVs they'd know that the S10 isn't just a lower model than the V10, but the S10 is two models below, has fewer real lines of resolution, a slower refresh rate, worse contrast, etc.

When I told him that the V10 had far more optimization modes, he also told me that it was b/c of it's THX mode (false) and that it didn't have individual adjustments for colors (false).

Don't ever, ever shop at a Best Buy. Use it to get an idea of what something looks like, but remember that they train their employees to prey upon the ignorant. They're ****ing parasites.

I used to work at Best Buy and its not exactly they train their employees to prey, but they hire people that don't know their shit. I worked at one and lasted 2 years, but couldn't stand the management they had. Even tho the employees don't make commission at best buy the managers just look for "yes" folk to do sales that know jack about the product they sell. Now some do know what they're doing, but there are also seasonal college students coming in and they don't know wtf they're doing. They were just asked if they've know what the stuff on the shelf is meant for basically. I couldn't take it and split. I was tired of them hiring dead weight in the media dept. Then I switched to the TV dept. and quit 2 weeks into training. They didn't tell me one thing the tv's, but only how to sell the service plans and other "gravy" items like calibrating tv's. They all compete with other Best Buys in their district so they get anyone who can sell instead of knowing what the facts are.

Miles
11-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Do not ever have the geek squad do anything for you under any circumstances, even if someone has a fucking gun to your head.

Don't ever, ever shop at a Best Buy. Use it to get an idea of what something looks like, but remember that they train their employees to prey upon the ignorant. They're fucking parasites.

Yikes, I didn't even realize that geek squad/best buy claims to calibrate TV's these days. I'd strongly prefer they never touch the settings on my TV, much less pay them to do so.

|Zach|
11-16-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't really use salesman at places like that but on the other hand sometimes I don't really care when I hear stories like yours Hamas.

Who in gods name is going to know every fucking thing about every fucking product they are offering down to details like that. Especially for the money they get paid.

That would be nuts.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't really use salesman at places like that but on the other hand sometimes I don't really care when I hear stories like yours Hamas.

Who in gods name is going to know every fucking thing about every fucking product they are offering down to details like that. Especially for the money they get paid.

That would be nuts.

I'm not asking for them to have a comprehensive knowledge of the product. How about a simple "I'm not really sure" rather than lying about the features of a product to get a customer to buy something that is in the store.

I guess that's too much to ask.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2009, 02:02 AM
I used to work at Best Buy and its not exactly they train their employees to prey, but they hire people that don't know their shit. I worked at one and lasted 2 years, but couldn't stand the management they had. Even tho the employees don't make commission at best buy the managers just look for "yes" folk to do sales that know jack about the product they sell. Now some do know what they're doing, but there are also seasonal college students coming in and they don't know wtf they're doing. They were just asked if they've know what the stuff on the shelf is meant for basically. I couldn't take it and split. I was tired of them hiring dead weight in the media dept. Then I switched to the TV dept. and quit 2 weeks into training. They didn't tell me one thing the tv's, but only how to sell the service plans and other "gravy" items like calibrating tv's. They all compete with other Best Buys in their district so they get anyone who can sell instead of knowing what the facts are.

The biggest problem is the fact that the people who stay there are the people who are going to have that sociopathic view where they care more about the bottom line of the business than the best needs of the customer.

Let's be honest.

Say you work at a BB and you make 10 bones an hour. Some dude comes in and needs a laptop adapter. Now, you could tell him that he could order one online that would do the same job for 20 bucks, or sell him the one in your store for 100.

Now, if that transaction takes 5 minutes, you've been compensated about 80 cents, and you're costing the guy who came in 80 bucks. And you aren't the one getting that money.

I just think that's a particularly soul crushing experience.

Miles
11-16-2009, 02:09 AM
The biggest problem is the fact that the people who stay there are the people who are going to have that sociopathic view where they care more about the bottom line of the business than the best needs of the customer.

Let's be honest.

Say you work at a BB and you make 10 bones an hour. Some dude comes in and needs a laptop adapter. Now, you could tell him that he could order one online that would do the same job for 20 bucks, or sell him the one in your store for 100.

Now, if that transaction takes 5 minutes, you've been compensated about 80 cents, and you're costing the guy who came in 80 bucks. And you aren't the one getting that money.

I just think that's a particularly soul crushing experience.

I don't think that Best Buy pays commission but they do push sales figures on their employees.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-16-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't think that Best Buy pays commission but they do push sales figures on their employees.

I wasn't talking about it from a commission basis.

$10/hr=16 cents per minute

16cpm*5 minutes=80 cents.

I had a roommate who worked at a BB once. He told me about some particularly nasty stories.

I guess when you walk in they automatically profile you as belonging to one of three or four (can't remember which) customer types depending on your gender.

soundmind
11-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm not asking for them to have a comprehensive knowledge of the product. How about a simple "I'm not really sure" rather than lying about the features of a product to get a customer to buy something that is in the store.

I guess that's too much to ask.

I wasn't talking about it from a commission basis.

$10/hr=16 cents per minute

16cpm*5 minutes=80 cents.

I had a roommate who worked at a BB once. He told me about some particularly nasty stories.

I guess when you walk in they automatically profile you as belonging to one of three or four (can't remember which) customer types depending on your gender.

I'm afraid of Americans...I'm afraid of the world...I'm afraid I can't help it...

Sir, this is exactly what scares me about the future of our country. This is what we value now, sales. Not quality, not service, not doing the right thing, certainly not looking our for our fellow man. Especially not if the other options are profitable.

Miles
11-16-2009, 03:36 AM
Sir, this is exactly what scares me about the future of our country. This is what we value now, sales. Not quality, not service, not doing the right thing, certainly not looking our for our fellow man. Especially not if the other options are profitable.

Yeah this is an entirely new concept. People didn't start fucking each other over for personal gain until more recent history. Any comments on TV calibration?

|Zach|
11-16-2009, 05:28 AM
I'm afraid of Americans...I'm afraid of the world...I'm afraid I can't help it...

People want everything for cheap cheap cheap...

Watch out what you ask for...