PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs I am impressed with Cassel so far.

BossChief
11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Is playing well so far. This is the first time I can say he has looked like a NFL QB. I hope he keeps it up and we get a win, more importantly some flow to the offense that we can build on. Take out the moonshot and he has played a good game.

JASONSAUTO
11-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Is playing well so far. This is the first time I can say he has looked like a NFL QB. I hope he keeps it up and we get a win, more importantly some flow to the offense that we can build on. Take out the moonshot and he has played a good game.

hell even the INT hit chambers in the chest. not the greatest pass but still should have been caught

Mr. Flopnuts
11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
His paygrade dictates that he shows better accuracy than he is.

DeezNutz
11-15-2009, 03:59 PM
We're in the middle of the Sahara, and we're thirsty.

Priest31kc
So am I. When his receivers get open, and he has time, he looks really good. Ya know since those things are pretty important when judging a QB. When Russell gets time and receivers open, he misses them. That's a bad QB.

Mr. Laz
if he gets the same about of time in the pocket in the 2nd half i bet he does alot better.

he's still jumpy back there.

JASONSAUTO
11-15-2009, 04:00 PM

he has looked good today to me. almost every drop would have gone for a first down

Tiger's Fan
He hasn't done anything great, but goddamn, look at the garbage around him. Brian Waters is a total waste of space, and I'm really getting sick of Bowe playing like a punk ass bitch half the time. Chambers is this teams #1, and it aint even close.

petegz28
Weak arm, holds the ball too long, terrible game managment. Shades of the 1st Chiefs vs. Oakland game

KCUnited
Also, this is the best game call we've had, imo.

Tiger's Fan
11-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Oh, and for all you Bradley fans, he's a punk too. No wonder he doesn't see the field much.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-15-2009, 04:02 PM
he has looked good today to me. almost every drop would have gone for a first down

But some of the passes that were completed should have been better. I'm judging every single throw. He's getting more time back there than he has all year. I agree with Laz, he could be jumpy. The 2nd half is going to be the story if he continues getting time in the pocket.

petegz28
11-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Weak arm, holds the ball too long, terrible game managment. Shades of the 1st Chiefs vs. Oakland game

Silock
11-15-2009, 04:33 PM
hell even the INT hit chambers in the chest. not the greatest pass but still should have been caught

Yeah, it should have been caught, but that doesn't make it a good pass.

Easy 6
11-15-2009, 04:40 PM
He's been looking mostly like a mobile Huard in this game.

and now the terrible handoff.

MIAdragon
11-15-2009, 05:12 PM

This he looks like a decent backup and what the fuck is the problem with getting the damn play off he burns at least 2 to's a game with that shit.

BossChief
11-15-2009, 05:22 PM
close this gme out with a win this time defense!!!

EyePod
11-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Well, he did have that one drive where he had the long passes to Bowe and Chambers IN STRIDE. Then he fumbled the snap (Charles saved his ass with the recovery), ran into charles as he handed it off (somehow charles still got a yard on that play), and then threw the ball threw the motherfucking uprights. What a terrible QB.

Tactical Funky
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, he did have that one drive where he had the long passes to Bowe and Chambers IN STRIDE. Then he fumbled the snap (Charles saved his ass with the recovery), ran into charles as he handed it off (somehow charles still got a yard on that play), and then threw the ball threw the mother****ing uprights. What a terrible QB.
:rolleyes:

The play where he ran into Charles was most likely a miscommunication error on the playcall. The play where Cassel threw the ball through the uprights was because Bowe had a defender glued to his ass and Cassel did the right thing and threw it away instead of forcing the ball.

Cassel had some sloppy moments today, but overall did a decent job against a good defense.

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM

I was impressed with you so far, until this thread.:evil:

Look, I hate Cassel. Can't stand the sonofabitch. But to be "impressed" with him after this game makes me wonder what brand of crack you are mainlining.

baitism
11-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Cassell is what he has always been....a good back-up QB.

BossChief
11-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I was impressed with you so far, until this thread.:evil:

Look, I hate Cassel. Can't stand the sonofabitch. But to be "impressed" with him after this game makes me wonder what brand of crack you are mainlining.

did you notice the time stamp?

I started this right before halftime.

chiefzilla1501
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM

You had this response drafted regardless of how Cassel played.

There are some on this board that absolutely refuse to acknowledge when he does anything remotely positive.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was "impressed." But it was a fairly solid game. It's made a HUGE difference to have a real target opposite Bowe.

Raised On Riots
did you notice the time stamp?

I started this right before halftime.

All is forgiven.:D

Count Zarth
Cassel is showing improvement, that much cannot be denied.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-15-2009, 06:04 PM

And that's simply not good enough from the sixty million dollar man.

TinyEvel
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM

Fock you and your Yoda quotes.

He is just average. I still don't understand how he threw that pass while Seymour was obviously in his face in the first quarter.

I want him to do great but whoever said he's mobile Huard might be right.....so far.

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 06:05 PM

OMG CASSEL IS TEH IMPROVED BECAUSE MIKE BROWN SAVED TEH JERK AND SPURT BOWL 2009!!!!!@ELEVENTY!!!!!!!!

RNR
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
OMG CASSEL IS TEH IMPROVED BECAUSE MIKE BROWN SAVED TEH JERK AND SPURT BOWL 2009!!!!!@ELEVENTY!!!!!!!!

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
11-15-2009, 08:56 PM
If the Raiders had an NFL QB on the roster, they would have won going away.

Lucky for us that they don't.

Duck Dog
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
I'll reserve my judgement of cassel until he has an OL in front of him.

Coogs
11-15-2009, 09:13 PM
He probably had his best overall game throwing the ball of the season. But 208 passing yards is not exactly HOF material just yet. Better? Yes. Still some work to do.

Duck Dog
11-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Bowe needs to stop dropping the ball.

Count Zarth
11-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Bowe needs to stop dropping the ball.

Bowe
Bradley
Savage

Who else dropped a pass today?

Silock
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Bowe
Bradley
Savage

Who else dropped a pass today?

Brandon Flowers.

T-post Tom
11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Through the preseason and nine games: Cassel = FAIL

Not even close to earning his salary. Accuracy and decision making are inconsistent at best. He has the right attitude, but can't translate that into good play on the field. His performance on the field is approaching Grbac levels.

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Not even close to earning his salary. Accuracy and decision making are inconsistent at best. He has the right attitude, but can't translate that into good play on the field. His performance on the field is approaching Grbac levels.

No,no,no,no,no; go over to Classic Games and watch a Grbac game again; he will look ALL-FUCKING-WORLD compared to Crap Hassel.

Trust me, I've done it.

Count Zarth
11-15-2009, 10:29 PM
No,no,no,no,no; go over to Classic Games and watch a Grbac game again; he will look ALL-FUCKING-WORLD compared to Crap Hassel.

Trust me, I've done it.

Fuck you, ROR.

Grbac NEVER played on a team this devoid of talent.

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Fuck you, ROR.

Fuck YOU, GoChiefs.

Don't you have a flop to flip?

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Fuck you, ROR.

And though it wasn't worth 60 mill by a long-shot, Grbac had ten times the arm of Mark 'BendmeOver' Castle.

Choke a dick.:D

tonyetony
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM
And though it wasn't worth 60 mill by a long-shot, Grbac had ten times the arm of Mark 'BendmeOver' Castle.

Choke a dick.:D

Ten times the arm?!?! Really dude, Grbacs arm won't go down as great, a good arm with a rotten head is his best chance at glory!

Raised On Riots
11-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Ten times the arm?!?! Really dude, Grbacs arm won't go down as great, a good arm with a rotten head is his best chance at glory!

Everything but the head for the game, that boy had.

KCChiefsFan88
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Cassel is a more athletic Steve Bono, even with Bono's 76 yard trample through the Arizona Cardinals defense.

chiefzilla1501
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
No,no,no,no,no; go over to Classic Games and watch a Grbac game again; he will look ALL-****ING-WORLD compared to Crap Hassel.

Trust me, I've done it.

I always thought exaggeration was an art. But I guess it's a science to some.

KCChiefsFan88
11-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Grbac still holds the Chiefs single game passing yardage record

tonyetony
11-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Grbac still holds the Chiefs single game passing yardage record

so

ChiefsCountry
11-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Grbac is everything you want in QB expect for his brain. Put DeBerg's head on Grbac's body and you have an all-world QB. Cassel has none of Grbac's physical tools and right now his brain isn't much better either.

Mosbonian
11-16-2009, 12:15 AM
LOL...some of this stuff is classic.

Not sure how anyone can truly judge this QB until we have the following:

1) An Offensive Line that isn't downright offensive to play behind. Most of the time they look like Matador's ( and I don't mean the cars)

2) A year getting comfortable with both the Coach and his system...

3) Receivers who actually catch the ball and don't play like they have too much vaseline on their hands

Haley is going to have to give in and find an Offensive Coordinator that he feels comfortable with....because he doesn't have the experience to be that and the Head Coach.

Unlike some here, I will give the Coach and our QB some slack this year. And I will even give Jamaal Charles another year to grow into his role too.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
11-16-2009, 12:19 AM
Grbac is everything you want in QB expect for his brain. Put DeBerg's head on Grbac's body and you have an all-world QB. Cassel has none of Grbac's physical tools and right now his brain isn't much better either.

Unfortunately in the NFL you can't play Franken-Quarterback...you have to live with what you have and make the best of it. If Cassel isn't the answer, then the search needs to go on.

But I'm not sure who you wanted to be in his place instead....there sure wasn't a plethora of good QB's to pick from this past draft or Free Agency period.

mmaddog

KCChiefsMan
11-16-2009, 12:32 AM
So am I. When his receivers get open, and he has time, he looks really good. Ya know since those things are pretty important when judging a QB. When Russell gets time and receivers open, he misses them. That's a bad QB.

considering that he has never had time, not even once, he's not doing too bad

blazzin311
11-16-2009, 04:17 AM

Agreed 100%.

And that's simply not good enough from the sixty million dollar man.

Well sorry to disappoint you but he's not going to be that 60 million dollar man until the talent is upgraded around him. Which won't be this year obviously. So pointing out that he's not earning his salary or it's simply not good enough is useless at this point.

I'll reserve my judgement of cassel until he has an OL in front of him.

Indeed. Although I felt he did get a little bit better protection today which isn't really saying much I guess. Defenders were still in his face throughout the day, just not quite as much.

He probably had his best overall game throwing the ball of the season. But 208 passing yards is not exactly HOF material just yet. Better? Yes. Still some work to do.

I concur. Of course there's still some work to do. This offense overall is not nearly a finished product, and is lacking talent and depth in many areas. Let's give it a couple of years and see how it plays out before we as fans judge completely.

Well then it's a damn good thing his 60 million dollar salary wasn't all for this season. You can't rush to judgement until he has a proper supporting cast full of legit NFL talent around him on offense. Not some of these scrubs he's been playing with. Same goes for the rest of the team for that matter. To rush to a complete judgement this soon is dumbassery as far as I'm concerned.

1) An Offensive Line that isn't downright offensive to play behind. Most of the time they look like Matador's ( and I don't mean the cars)

3) Receivers who actually catch the ball and don't play like they have too much vaseline on their hands

Haley is going to have to give in and find an Offensive Coordinator that he feels comfortable with....because he doesn't have the experience to be that and the Head Coach.

Unlike some here, I will give the Coach and our QB some slack this year. And I will even give Jamaal Charles another year to grow into his role too.

mmaddog

Agreed on all accounts. Damn fine post. :clap:

milkman
11-16-2009, 06:23 AM
considering that he has never had time, not even once, he's not doing too bad

He's had time far more than once.

He gets happy feet far too early, and actually makes the terrrible O-Line look even worse than it already is.

scho63
11-16-2009, 07:20 AM
My biggest pet peeve with Cassell so far is his lack of urgency as he goes from play to play. He seems to be in slow motion and always has only 4-5 seconds to snap the ball. Contrast that to Peyton Manning who gets to the line with 10-12 seconds left and can always change plays and observe the defensive scheme. I blame Haley a little for this because he is getting the plays in too slow.
I think the play calling has been HORRIBLE as well.

MOhillbilly
11-16-2009, 07:28 AM
two kids stand in the street and fight with turd logs. thats how yesterdays game went.

ChiTown
11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Not worth the money, IMO.

For $60MM, I wasn't expecting Jesus Christ. But, is it too much to ask for one of his Disciples?

philfree
11-16-2009, 07:50 AM
He's had time far more than once.

He gets happy feet far too early, and actually makes the terrrible O-Line look even worse than it already is.

I'm impressed that Cassel is still standing after all the hits he's taken. As far as his "happy feet" are concerned I can't fault him for that right now. He gets hit more times then not when he drops back to pass and after a point any QB is going to develop a case of happy feet. Until he stops getting hit on every play and has several games in a row where he has protection and doesn't get beat up it probably won't change. That said his play needs to improve. And if he makes it through the season and then we truely improve our o line he and the team might be better off for it.

PhilFree:arrow:

milkman
11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm impressed that Cassel is still standing after all the hits he's taken. As far as his "happy feet" are concerned I can't fault him for that right now. He gets hit more times then not when he drops back to pass and after a point any QB is going to develop a case of happy feet. Until he stops getting hit on every play and has several games in a row where he has protection and doesn't get beat up it probably won't change. That said his play needs to improve. And if he makes it through the season and then we truely improve our o line he and the team might be better off for it.

Watch Aaron Rogers sometime.

He, like Cassel, plays behind a terrible O-Line and has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long, and is taking hits every bit as much as Cassel, but he stands in the pocket until the last minute, play after play.

As many hits as he's taken over the last year and a half, he hasn't devloped happy feet.

chief husker
11-16-2009, 08:27 AM

mmaddog

Once we have a better O line, Cassel will be fine.

DumbHillbillies
11-16-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm not.

Raised On Riots
11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Not worth the money, IMO.For $60MM, I wasn't expecting Jesus Christ. But, is it too much to ask for one of his Disciples?

LMAO So you were hoping to draft Curry then?

Once we have a better O line, Thigpen will be fine.

The most modular, and oft-repeated phrase in the history of the Kansas City Chiefs.

ChiTown
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
LMAO So you were hoping to draft Curry then?

The most modular, and oft-repeated phrase in the history of the Kansas City Chiefs.

No, I wanted Ryan Succop to be our #1 pick.........

stevieray
11-16-2009, 09:21 AM

He, like Cassel, plays behind a terrible O-Line and has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long, and is taking hits every bit as much as Cassel, but he stands in the pocket until the last minute, play after play.

As many hits as he's taken over the last year and a half, he hasn't devloped happy feet.

...."comparisons"...the weakest and lamest argument out there.

I constantly ask my one daughter why she can't be more like her sister...:rolleyes:

milkman
11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
...."comparisons"...the weakest and lamest argument out there.

I constantly ask my one daughter why she csan't be more like her sister...:rolleyes:

I have no idea what your two daughters are like, but that is irrelevent.

Comparing how different QBs react to the same set of circumstances is neither weak or lame.

What we see is one has balls, the other doesn't.

stevieray
11-16-2009, 09:35 AM
different QBs

What we see is one has balls, the other doesn't.

my daighters are their own person.

....you can't compare them. because in your own words, you just said they are different.

balls? matter of opinion.

Raised On Riots
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
No, I wanted Ryan Succop to be our #1 pick.........

He pretty much is, in a roundabout sort of way.:evil:

milkman
11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
....you can't compare them. because in your own words, you just said they are different.

balls? matter of opinion.

Yes they are different.
I did say that.

Thier position is the same however, and they both play behind sieves.

And I won't debate that it isn't my opinion.

I will debate that my opinion is supported by the fact that Rogers stands in the pocket in the face of real pressure, and Cassel gets happy feet in the face of phantom pressure.

I will also concede that my perception that Cassel gets happy feet in the face of "phantom" pressure is an opinion, but it still remains a fact that one stands tall in the pocket and the other doesn't, regardless of whether that pressure is real or phantom..

philfree
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM

He is playing on an offense that has been in place for several years and he does have some recievers to throw too. And as bad as their line is ours is worse. I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

philfree
11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Rogers also makes his line look worse then it is because of holding the ball too long and not taking his check downs.

milkman
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
He is playing on an offense that has been in place for several years and he does have some recievers to throw too. And as bad as their line is ours is worse. I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

Cassel has been sacked 29 times in 8 games.
Rogers has been sacked 41 times in 9 games.

Their O-line is every bit as bad as ours.

The difference is that Rogers stands in and makes plays.
I know the next argument is that Rogers has better weapons to throw to, and while I understand that stats can be subjective especially these stats, this:

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7200&team=9

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7406&team=12

would suggest that that isn't the difference.

Look at the number of poor throws, and the percentages.

Chiefnj2
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Down Convert %
Third-and-1 67
Third-and-2 52
Third-and-3 49
Third-and-4 47
Third-and-5 42
Third-and-6 41
Third-and-7 37
Third-and-8 32
Third-and-9 32
Third-and-10 or more 20

Those are the stats from all teams from 2006-2008.
First half against Oakland:
3rd and 17 became 3rd and 12 after Oakland penalty
3rd and 14 became 3rd and 9 after Oakland penalty
3rd and 4
3rd and 23.
3rd and 6
3rd and 7
3rd and 8
3rd and 8.
3rd and 5 (took a knee).

KC averaged 3rd and 9.6 yards on third downs in the first half of the game. Is Rogers facing an average of 3rd and 9??

milkman
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Rogers also makes his line look worse then it is because of holding the ball too long and not taking his check downs.

Cassel holds the ball too long as well, and still ends up going to his checkdown.

Tribal Warfare
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Cassel holds the ball too long as well, and still ends up going to his checkdown.

and Haley is starting to show is frustration concerning that too.

milkman
11-16-2009, 10:30 AM
Down Convert %
Third-and-1 67
Third-and-2 52
Third-and-3 49
Third-and-4 47
Third-and-5 42
Third-and-6 41
Third-and-7 37
Third-and-8 32
Third-and-9 32
Third-and-10 or more 20

3rd and 4
3rd and 23.
3rd and 6
3rd and 7
3rd and 8
3rd and 8.
3rd and 5 (took a knee).

KC averaged 3rd and 9.6 yards on third downs in the first half of the game. Is Rogers facing an average of 3rd and 9??

Who the fuck cares?

It doesn't matter if he's getting sacked on first and 10 or 4th and 99, he's getting pressured and sacked, as much, if not more than, Cassel.

philfree
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Cassel has been sacked 29 times in 8 games.
Rogers has been sacked 41 times in 9 games.

Their O-line is every bit as bad as ours.

The difference is that Rogers stands in and makes plays.
I know the next argument is that Rogers has better weapons to throw to, and while I understand that stats can be subjective especially these stats, this:

would suggest that that isn't the difference.

Look at the number of poor throws, and the percentages.

Rogers is playing better QB then Cassel right now IMO but he causes alot of his own sacks. Cassel has alot of improving to do but if you don't think he;s regressed in his pocket presence because of the beating he's taken then that's fine. And if you think most QBs wouldn't be effected by it then that's fine too. Of course you'd be wrong but hey that's fine too.

ChiTown
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Down Convert %
Third-and-1 67
Third-and-2 52
Third-and-3 49
Third-and-4 47
Third-and-5 42
Third-and-6 41
Third-and-7 37
Third-and-8 32
Third-and-9 32
Third-and-10 or more 20

3rd and 4
3rd and 23.
3rd and 6
3rd and 7
3rd and 8
3rd and 8.
3rd and 5 (took a knee).

The problem, as it is with many below average teams, is the lack of production on 1st down. Our ability to be more productive on 1st down would greatly enhance our qb's value to this team on 3rd down.

philfree
11-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Who the **** cares?

It doesn't matter if he's getting sacked on first and 10 or 4th and 99, he's getting pressured and sacked, as much, if not more than, Cassel.

Cassel doesn't have to time to throw to a check down reciever Rogers is getting sacked because he ignores his check downs. Alot of his sacks are his fault not his o lines.

HC_Chief
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
The problem, as it is with many below average teams, is the lack of production on 1st down. Our ability to be more productive on 1st down would greatly enhance our qb's value to this team on 3rd down.

Not going to happen until we replace at least 4 players on the OL. This line SUCKS. The faid had easy penetration all day.

God help Cassel if the D runs a stunt or a twist... holy shit, it's like this crew has no idea how to handle it. You want an instant open pass ruch lane versus KC? STUNT! Now bull rush 4. Now run a twist. That equates to Sack, Knock Down, Sack. easy peasy lemon squeezy. :p

milkman
11-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Cassel doesn't have to time to throw to a check down reciever Rogers is getting sacked because he ignores his check downs. Alot of his sacks are his fault not his o lines.

Foe every excuse made for Cassel that is proven to be a fallacy, a new excuse is pops up.

You go ahead and keep making new excuses.

milkman
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Not going to happen until we replace at least 4 players on the OL. This line SUCKS. The faid had easy penetration all day.

God help Cassel if the D runs a stunt or a twist... holy shit, it's like this crew has no idea how to handle it. You want an instant open pass ruch lane versus KC? STUNT! Now bull rush 4. Now run a twist. That equates to Sack, Knock Down, Sack. easy peasy lemon squeezy. :p

Bullshit.

Cassel had planty of time in the pocket for much of the day yesterday.

Excuses are like assholes.

Chiefnj2
11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Foe every excuse made for Cassel that is proven to be a fallacy, a new excuse is pops up.

You go ahead and keep making new excuses.

A fallacy? New system, questionable playcalling, new receivers, no running game, porous OL, all of those are false?

milkman
11-16-2009, 11:01 AM
A fallacy? New system, questionable playcalling, new receivers, no running game, porous OL, all of those are false?

The fallacy is that any QB under the same pressure is going to look as bad as Cassel.

All the rest of that is nothing more than bullshit excuses.