PDA

View Full Version : Legal Redskins will keep name...so far

RedNeckRaider
11-16-2009, 05:07 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091116/sp_nm/us_nfl_redskins;_ylt=A0LEVIW35wFLtLwABAIPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDMTExN3Y1YzI1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3JlNAR2d GlkAwRsA1dTMQ--

So is the name offensive? Does it need to be changed? What say you?

Supreme Court won't hear Redskins name case

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Supreme Court said on Monday that it rejected an appeal by six American Indians in their long-running legal challenge of the Washington Redskins' name, which they find racially offensive.

The justices declined to review a U.S. appeals court ruling that held the plaintiffs had waited too long to challenge six of the National Football League team's trademarks at issue in the case.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs appealed to the Supreme Court, saying it was important for the nation's high court to decide the merits of the case of whether the Redskins name was a derogatory term for American Indians.

The appeal was supported by more than 30 law professors, 13 psychology professors who are experts on stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination and by the Social Justice Advocacy Group, a coalition of non-profit and religious organizations and socially responsible investment entities.

Attorneys for the team, one of the most storied NFL franchises, urged the Supreme Court to reject the appeal. They said the appeals court ruling was correct and that the intervention by the justices was not required.

The Redskins name was first adopted in 1933, when the team was based in Boston, to honor its head coach, an American Indian, its attorneys said. The team moved to Washington in 1937.

The case began in 1992 with a petition by the American Indians to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to cancel the Redskins trademarks under a law which bars trademarks that disparage persons or bring them into contempt or disrepute.

A federal judge in 2003 and then in 2008 ruled in favor of the team. The appeals court in May upheld the judge's last ruling.

The Supreme Court refused to hear with appeal without any comment.

(Editing by Paul Simao)

RJ
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey RNR, that was a good idea starting the thread over here. It saves a mod the trouble of having to move it later when it's heavier.

You're a really considerate dude, especially for a Raiders fan. :D

Jenson71
11-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Is it offensive? No. Am I surprised it's lasted this long? Absolutely.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
The SC can't do a damn thing about it.

WhitiE
11-16-2009, 05:15 PM
The SC can't do a damn thing about it.

if obama thinks it will help him get re-elected it will be changed.....

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 05:20 PM
if obama thinks it will help him get re-elected it will be changed.....He hasn't gotten a playoff system in college football(the measuring stick for his administration)

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Seriously though...if it was offensive people wouldn't buy the product.

patteeu
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
The name doesn't bother me, but it seems kind of tame. I like "Chiefs", "Braves", "Warriors", "Savages" or even "Scouts" better.

banyon
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Cases like these are an embarassment to the profession.

blaise
11-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I can see why some people would find it offensive, but why would it be a constitutional issue?

ClevelandBronco
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM

At least some of the embarrassment can be shared with the "more than 30 law professors, 13 psychology professors who are experts on stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination and by the Social Justice Advocacy Group, a coalition of non-profit and religious organizations and socially responsible investment entities."

blaise
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
They're going about it the wrong way. The only way they'd get it changed is if they convinced enough Redskin luxury box purchasing companies and sponsors to pull money.

mlyonsd
11-16-2009, 05:33 PM
I'd be curious to hear what oldandslow has to say on the subject.

Me, I don't understand why it would be offensive considering its intent isn't meant to be derogatory and the fan base idolizes it.

I'm a disinterested third party though so what would I know.

Warrior5
11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Is it offensive? No. Am I surprised it's lasted this long? Absolutely.

It certainly offended falstaff...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17910

RedNeckRaider
11-16-2009, 05:46 PM
The name doesn't bother me, but it seems kind of tame. I like "Chiefs", "Braves", "Warriors", "Savages" or even "Scouts" better.

I guess I have thick skin but if there was a team called the Pittsburgh Peckerwoods I would sport their gear. I would think it was funny. How about the Haysville Honkys or the Montana Micks. It would not bother me in the least~

RedNeckRaider
11-16-2009, 05:50 PM

I did not think it was possible to embarrass a lawyer~ :)

Saul Good
11-16-2009, 06:30 PM
I really don't understand how this name has stood for as long as it has. I'm as un-PC as it gets, and even I think it should be changed. It doesn't offend me, but I wouldn't be offended by the team being named the n-worders, either. However, I would certainly see it as insensitive and rude enough to warrant being changed.

I'm totally fine with Chiefs, BTW.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2009, 06:39 PM
They're going about it the wrong way. The only way they'd get it changed is if they convinced enough Redskin luxury box purchasing companies and sponsors to pull money.

Companies would just take their place

LOCOChief
11-16-2009, 06:43 PM
as goes America, so goes CP, pussified.

RJ
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
On the one hand, I often see NA's wearing Redskins gear. There are lots of Indian folk around here. That might be in retaliation to all the damn Cowboys fans.

On the other hand, of all the Indian related sports names, if any one of them is offensive, it would have to be that one. It certainly doesn't sound complimentary.

Guru
11-17-2009, 04:49 AM
Poor Washington. Nobody likes their names. Remember the Bullets?

NewChief
11-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Is this an attempt to summon that one poster from the past who was Native American and would rant and rave about how racist teams with NA names are? I can't remember his name, but that guy was interesting. His appearances would usually coincide with those protests that NA sometimes staged at Chief games.

patteeu
11-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Is this an attempt to summon that one poster from the past who was Native American and would rant and rave about how racist teams with NA names are? I can't remember his name, but that guy was interesting. His appearances would usually coincide with those protests that NA sometimes staged at Chief games.

Are you thinking of this guy...

It certainly offended falstaff...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17910

jjjayb
11-17-2009, 06:06 AM
I guess I have thick skin but if there was a team called the Pittsburgh Peckerwoods I would sport their gear. I would think it was funny. How about the Haysville Honkys or the Montana Micks. It would not bother me in the least~

Or the Fighting Whities out of Colorado:

http://www.liquideggproduct.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/fightingwhites.png

RedNeckRaider
11-17-2009, 06:13 AM

Not at all. I was just driving home from work and heard the story on sports talk. When home I looked it up and posted it. I just wondered how people here felt about the issue~

blaise
11-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Companies would just take their place

These days? I don't think companies are still rushing out to pay top dollar for luxury boxes.

NewChief
11-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Are you thinking of this guy...

Maybe, I thought he had a different name though, for some reason. This guy was very proper and academic about his dislike of the name. He actually was a good debater, but he didn't get a lot of love on the board (surprise surprise).