PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Bleacher Report: Getting to Know Your 2010 NFL Draft Sleepers

Tribal Warfare
11-17-2009, 05:56 AM
Getting to Know Your 2010 NFL Draft Sleepers
(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/290417-getting-to-know-your-2010-nfl-draft-sleepers)
Scribe Written on November 14, 2009
KNOXVILLE, TN - SEPTEMBER 12: Sheldon Price #22 celebrates with Alterraun Verner #1 of the UCLA Bruins after his interception against the Tennessee Volunteers on September 12, 2009 at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tennessee. (Photo by Joe Murphy/Getty Images) Joe Murphy/Getty Images

At just over halfway through the NFL season, I no longer feel bad already thinking ahead to next year. With a deep draft this year and so many college teams, I took the liberty of highlighting some of the sleeper picks this year.

Sleeper picks for those of you who don't know, are low risk-high return picks often trading the immediate impact player for lower round potential.

QB Todd Reesing, Kansas

Potentially a very poor man's Drew Brees. Reesing was in talks for the Heisman after a hot start this season, but has fallen practically off draft boards after a shaky 3 weeks of playing through a groin injury and terrible offensive line.

He has a strong arm, great mobility, and makes minimal mistakes.
Projected Round: 7-FA

RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford

Running back with great hands and a ton of power when breaking tackles. He would be a great power back or possibly even a tight end at the next level, think a faster Jason Witten. If he falls to the third round, he would be very hard to pass up.
Projected Round: 2-4

WR Chris McGaha, Arizona State

Doesn't have the size to be an elite receiver in the league but has flawless hands and runs sharp routes. Has the speed to gain separation and would be a solid possession receiver in the NFL.
Projected Round: 3-4

WR Taylor Price, Ohio

Great speed, consistent hands, and at 6'1, 212 pounds, a good build for an NFL receiver. Price has put up decent numbers so far, could be a surprise No. 2 receiver in the league. Coming from a smaller school, would make a great late round value.
Projected Round: 5-6

WR Stephen Williams, Toledo

Lacks explosive speed to succeed as a WR in the NFL, he runs great, clean routes and puts up big numbers, could be a better fit as a tight end with his 6'5 height.

TE Anthony McCoy, USC

McCoy's a great athlete, and with measurables of 6'5 and 255 lbs, he could shoot up the draft boards by the end of the season. Think Tony Gonzalez, he could be a young quarterback's best friend.
Projected Round: 4-5

KR Brandon James, Florida

With the contract talks still pending with Josh Cribbs, it wouldn't be a bad idea drafting a late round kick returner. James has lightning-quick speed and excels on punt returns. Could also be used much like Cribbs in Wildcat formations and slant passes.
Projected Round: 6-7

RT Kyle Collaway, Iowa

A very solid tackle, has good height and size. Durable and a great run blocker, aside from a DUI charge, very few downsides to think about when drafting him.

OT Chris Scott, Tennessee

A massive tackle, Scott is versatile and could be alternated at any position on the line. Above average pass blocking, and solid on the run, could move up the boards depending on the Volunteers' success this year.

DE/LB Carl Ihenacho, San Jose State

Ihenacho always seems to be in the backfield, making life rough for running backs, posting 18.5 tackles for a loss last season and getting to the quarterback seven times. Would move to OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Great value pick.

NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest

Robinson is a monstrous nose tackle compiling six tackles for a loss last year and give sacks. A much more athletic run stopper than the likes of Shaun Rogers and Albert Haynesworth, and about 30 pounds lighter. If he drops to the third, you would be a fool to pass on him regardless of need.
Projected Round: 2-3

DT Jared Odrick, Penn State

Great size for a defensive tackle, put up solid numbers last season and qualified for the All Big Ten First Team.

At 6'5, 308 he would be a good fit in a 3-4 scheme, expect someone in the cold weather, hard nose AFC North to make a play for him.

ILB Pat Angerer, Iowa

A member of the All Big Ten Second Team, Angerer put up impressive numbers last season and has had a solid year this year as well.

Angerer excels at stopping the run. With this years success of the Iowa football team, Angerer may be pushed up to the 3-4 rounds.

CB Alterraun Verner, UCLA

Verner has an amazing nose for the ball, breaking up 18 passes last year and recording 73 tackles and 2 interceptions. Verner is my sleeper pick this year, he's about as shutdown a corner you'll find this draft aside from Joe Haden, great value pick.

SS Bo McNally, Stanford

Lacks the speed to be an elite safety in the NFL, McNally still puts up impressive numbers and has a knack for keeping the play in front of him. McNally would be a steal if he falls to the sixth round.
Projected Round: 5-6

KCFalcon59
11-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Todd Reesing?!?!?!?. :doh!:

He has a weak arm, runs around too much, and makes huge mental mistakes.

This sounds more like it.

Coach
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
QB Todd Reesing, Kansas

I stopped reading right there.

Sure-Oz
11-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Todd Reesing lol copter

Priest31kc
11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
LMAO Todd Reesing

DaKCMan AP
11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
QB Todd Reesing, Kansas

Potentially a very poor man's Drew Brees. Reesing was in talks for the Heisman after a hot start this season, but has fallen practically off draft boards after a shaky 3 weeks of playing through a groin injury and terrible offensive line.

He has a strong arm, great mobility, and makes minimal mistakes.

More like a bankrupt, homeless, dying man's Drew Brees.

RB Toby Gerhart, Stanford

Running back with great hands and a ton of power when breaking tackles. He would be a great power back or possibly even a tight end at the next level, think a faster Jason Witten. If he falls to the third round, he would be very hard to pass up.
Projected Round: 2-4

I'd liken him more to Chris Cooley than Jason Witten. IMO, he's more powerful than Witten. Don't know how good his hands are, though.

KR Brandon James, Florida

With the contract talks still pending with Josh Cribbs, it wouldn't be a bad idea drafting a late round kick returner. James has lightning-quick speed and excels on punt returns. Could also be used much like Cribbs in Wildcat formations and slant passes.
Projected Round: 6-7

James is a great KR/PR with excellent vision and good elusiveness and speed. I wouldn't put much into him being a Wildcat weapon, but may be able to contribute as a 4th/5th WR on offense.

Brock
11-17-2009, 09:24 AM
TODD REESING OMGZ

SNR
11-17-2009, 09:27 AM
ReesingNextThigpen

Blick
11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I'd take Brandon Banks of K-State over Brandon James. He'll be a definite sleeper due to his size, but has more experience playing receiver and is every bit as dangerous and explosive as a returner.

Coogs
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I kind of like the Calloway in the 4th round thing. He used to play LT, but was moved to RT, and has played there for a couple of years. Having a good RT to come in and play RT should lessen the learning curve of having to retrain the footwork, which should allow him to step right in and be a difference maker at that spot from day 1.

DumbHillbillies
11-18-2009, 08:53 AM
NT Boo Robinson, Wake Forest

Taking Boo with our 3rd round pick or even the atlanta 2nd rounder seems like a much better option than reaching on cody in the first. Plus his name/nickname is Boo.:D

Chiefnj2
11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
While trying to watch Berry the last few weeks, I noticed the LT on Tenn. Not too bad. Worth some consideration in the 3rd round. It could be a Tenn dominated draft - Berry in the first, Scott in the 3rd, Williams in the 4th.

Chiefnj2
11-18-2009, 09:05 AM
I really hope Cleveland beats KC and drafts after the Chiefs. They will be looking for a lot of the same players as the Chiefs.

beer bacon
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Does Danario Alexander qualify as a sleeper or is he high profile now?

DaKCMan AP
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
While there aren't any Julio Jones or AJ Green's in this draft, I think the WR position will be fairly deep.

kepp
11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Does Danario Alexander qualify as a sleeper or is he high profile now?

I think he's played himself into a first day pick. If he keeps it up, he could sneak into the second round. I would bet he'll go in the third though.

Mr. Laz
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
KR Brandon James, Florida James has lightning-quick speed and excels on punt returns. Could also be used much like Cribbs in Wildcat formations and slant passes.
Projected Round: 6-7yes, please

Frankie
11-18-2009, 01:49 PM
Taylor Price.

Any WR with the name Taylor should be good for the Chiefs.

;)