PDA

View Full Version : General Politics Did We Elect a Beta Male As President?

donkhater
11-17-2009, 07:53 AM
In light of Obama's ridiculous display of bowing to the Japanese leader, I think this question is more than appropriate.

October 05, 2009
Did We Elect a Beta Male As President?
By Greg Lewis

We're all somewhat familiar with the body language dogs display when they greet each other. The dominant alpha male approaches directly, asserting his authority, while the beta male genuflects, crouches, tucks his tail, and may even end up on his back, exposing his neck in acquiescence, making sure the alpha male knows he has no intention of challenging him. With his "we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist" opening to the world's dictators, the President is exhibiting classic beta male behavior, in essence rolling over on his back and exposing his throat to them to make sure they know he has no intention of challenging their authority.

Of course, the problem is that he's not simply exposing his throat, he's exposing America's collective throat, sending the message that he's a typical beta male intent on submitting to all the alpha male leaders around the world, and damn the consequences. His response to the discovery of Iran's newest, and heretofore "secret," nuclear facility was, as Daniel Henninger (Wall Street Journal, October 1, 2009) points out, to have our State Department offer to start a direct dialogue with the tyrannical Burmese regime.

The Obama administration has also offered conciliatory gestures to the genocidal Sudanese leader Omar Hassan al-Bashir, and it has dispatched none other than John Kerry to meet with Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad. This, of course, is not to mention his somewhat more visible overtures to the world's alpha male thugs: Obama has consorted jovially with Hugo Chavez and his counterpart Daniel Ortega, he's bowed down to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, he's agreed to halt plans to install a missile defense system in eastern Europe to placate Vladimir Putin, and he's offered the aforementioned hand to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, despite the latter's expressed unwillingness to even agree to acknowledge the truly important issue of Iran's nuclear weapons in our talks, all quintessential beta male behaviors.

While we've all been seeking a political rationale for the president's actions, his behavior goes beyond the political to something deeper and more personal: like all beta males, Barack Obama simply does not have the temperament to confront tyrannical alpha males around the globe. In this light, even his inability to work with American allies Gordon Brown and Nikolas Sarkozy is a function of his being incapable of facing down the world's tyrants: to cooperate with our allies would require Obama to display alpha male behaviors, including demonstrating courage, something he's simply not capable of doing. The president's beta-male proclivities are arguably putting the safety of his constituents, the citizens of our country, in serious jeopardy.

Another cue to this unfortunate character trait of the president's can be found in the lack of assertiveness of his oratorical style. While many people insist that Barack Obama is a wonderful speaker, in fact, he exhibits less emotional range when he addresses a crowd than his predecessor, George W. Bush, did. He may have better speechwriters than W, but his delivery is monotonic and his cadences clipped, both signs of a beta male, unsure of himself, putting his words out there more for the purpose of seeking approval than of providing leadership.

The president's characteristic head tilt when he's speaking to an audience or having to deal with a tough question when he's being interviewed (although there are certainly very few instances of his having to do this) is another sign of submissive behavior. It crops up less than a minute in during an interview with Fox News's Bill O'Reilly (YouTube - Barack Obama Interview With Bill O'Reilly Sept 4, 2008 - FNC ) in answer to O'Reilly's question, "Do you believe we're in a war on terror?" After an initial "Absolutely," the Candidate begins to hedge, his head tilts as he explains the difficulty in sorting out the good guys from the bad guys in the Middle East. Like beta males everywhere, Obama is not about to commit to words that he might have to back up with assertive action.

Being a beta male is all about developing strategies for deflecting aggression, and for this reason, beta males do have an important place in society. Within the confines of a social unit, beta-male behavior can help to defuse aggression and maintain domestic peace. But in a world where other nations' alpha-male leaders are constantly probing for even the smallest signs of weakness, having a beta male president has thrown into stark relief the dangers to which this president's unfortunate character trait is exposing his country.

To return to the canine metaphor: It's the height of folly to think that other nations won't be doing everything they can to make President Obama their bitch.

donkhater
11-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Another article on this issue. I highlighted the criticism (by the NY Times, nonetheless) Clinton got when he did the same thing, lest people think this is merely politics.

How Low Can He Go?
Mona Charen
Tuesday, November 17, 2009

President Obama, who nearly prostrated himself before the king of Saudi Arabia last April, has once again bowed low to a monarch -- this time to the emperor of Japan.

What to make of this obsequious body language?

After the presidential frame went perpendicular before the Saudi royal, the White House at first denied that the president had bowed. He was merely leaning over, Robert Gibbs explained, because the president was "taller than the king." That might make sense -- to anyone who had not seen the video. President Obama bent so far over that he was at eye level with the king's hips.

The president's defenders suggested that he was merely being polite, or simply following protocol. Politeness consists in treating others with respect and taking care not to hurt their feelings. But a bow, well, that's a different matter.

Last week, the president did it again, bowing from the waist before Japan's Emperor Akihito. So what might have seemed a rookie mistake is now looking deliberate.

Protocol is not the explanation. While there have been exceptions, American presidents have not traditionally bowed to royalty. Nor have American diplomats or citizens of any stripe. Kings and queens of England have visited America and been quite satisfied to receive a dignified handshake from Americans high and low. President Roosevelt famously served Great Britain's King George VI and Queen Elizabeth hot dogs at his Hyde Park home.

When it comes to body language, it's best to stick to your own culture and traditions. A too-eager attempt to ingratiate by adopting others' customs can backfire. According to one Asian expert consulted by ABC's Jake Tapper, Obama's low bow caused considerable consternation in Japan. Apparently, a proper Japanese bow under the circumstances would have been executed with hands at the sides, and a slight tilt from the waist. "The bow as he performed it did not just display weakness in Red State terms, but evoked weakness in Japanese terms ...The last thing the Japanese want or need is a weak-looking American president and, again, in all ways, he unintentionally played that part."

President Obama makes much of his international pedigree, the latest iteration being the boast that he is the "first Pacific president" -- whatever that means. But when he stoops to royalty this way, he invites the question: How American does he feel?

Don't hyperventilate. Of course, there is no one way for Americans to think or feel. But some American attitudes are, or used to be, woven deeply into our character. Most Americans have a visceral distaste, dating back to our founding, for truckling to royalty. Article One, Section 9 of the Constitution states: "No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: -- And no person holding any office of profit or trust under them shall, without the consent of Congress, accept any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state." Kings and emperors have been treated with courtesy, of course, but to bow is -- yes, I'll say it -- un-American.

Here, let the New York Times explain it. In 1994, the Times gently rebuked President Clinton for "almost" bowing to the Japanese emperor. "It wasn't a bow, exactly," the editorial chided, "(b)ut Mr. Clinton came close. He inclined his head and shoulders forward, he pressed his hands together. It lasted no longer than a snapshot, but the image on the South Lawn was indelible: an obsequent President, and the Emperor of Japan. Canadians still bow to England's Queen; so do Australians. Americans shake hands. If not to stand eye-to-eye with royalty, what else were 1776 and all that about?"

President Obama's bows, coupled with his global apology tours, suggest something other than politeness. President Obama has repeatedly reminded us that he thinks we have been arrogant and high-handed in our dealings with other nations. By bowing and scraping, he intends to drop us down a peg or two. The president of the United States really did intend to show obeisance to the King of Saudi Arabia and to defer to the emperor of Japan. He appears to have done so not to flatter those nations but only to diminish his own.

patteeu
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
This was his appeal to many of the women and nancyboys who voted for him. They think that weakness is the path to peace. I just hope he doesn't do too much damage over the next 3 years.

jjjayb
11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I actually said he looked like a subservient dog when bowing in the other thread. Guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

Velvet_Jones
11-17-2009, 10:07 AM
After Obama gets the shit fucked out of him and then bitch slapped, at least we have local SOS shelter he can go to and get some counseling.

HonestChieffan
11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
I actually said he looked like a subservient dog when bowing in the other thread. Guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/kowtows-500x450.jpg

PunkinDrublic
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
You guys keep getting stupider every day in your blind hatred of Obama. Nothing you buy into suprises me anymore yet you were the first to accuse the rest of us as having Bush derangement syndrome.

BigRedChief
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I actually said he looked like a subservient dog when bowing in the other thread. Guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.So when Republican Presidents like Nixon and Eisenhower bowed were they also subservient dogs?

BigOlChiefsfan
11-17-2009, 10:39 AM
http://www1.ibdcd.com/image/toon_111609_FULL.jpg

Reaper16
11-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Q: Did we elect a Beta Male as President?

A: I don't give a shit.

L.A. Chieffan
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM
wtf

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 10:55 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZEf6TUYdm_0/Sv9TVvDhVSI/AAAAAAAAACQ/ev3O1SFSG4s/s1600/AP5909020306(2).jpg

Eisenhower bowing to the anti-American de Gaulle! In the midst of the Cold War!

NewChief
11-17-2009, 10:56 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZEf6TUYdm_0/Sv9TVvDhVSI/AAAAAAAAACQ/ev3O1SFSG4s/s1600/AP5909020306(2).jpg

He's not bowing, he's admiring de Gaulle's shoes!

L.A. Chieffan
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM

fucking pussy traitor dog! i will never look at eisenhower the same again. fuck that guy. he was obviously unfit for presidential duty. i submit that all records of ike being president be stricken from the record

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 11:00 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZEf6TUYdm_0/Sv9Su61hZqI/AAAAAAAAACA/LSberRcyG4g/s1600/eisenhower%2Bbow.jpg

Here is Eisenhower in a complete breaching of the separation of Church and state. That dog! He just completely submits himself to the Catholic Church and America lost all her power in that instant.

NewChief
11-17-2009, 11:01 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ZEf6TUYdm_0/Sv9Su61hZqI/AAAAAAAAACA/LSberRcyG4g/s1600/eisenhower%2Bbow.jpg

Here is Eisenhower in a complete breaching of the separation of Church and state. That dog! He just completely submits himself to the Catholic Church and America lost all her power in that instant.

He's clearly asking the Pope what those funny latin words on the floor mean.

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Everyone remembers Bush holding hands with the Saudi guy. That was considered proper diplomatic protocol from the right and extremely suspicious from the left. Now we just have the reverse situation.

Besides, it's not like Japan has anything over us "alpha male" wise -- they have almost no military. Basically we are their military.

|Zach|
11-17-2009, 11:12 AM
What a world!

http://www.allrightmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/melting-282x300.jpg

donkhater
11-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Q: Did we elect a Beta Male as President?

A: I don't give a shit.

Shocker.

In and of itself, the bowing doesn't mean much. But when combined with his global apology tour and his views on what Amerika should be, I think it speaks volumes.

You think Eisenhower and Nixon felt the same way about America as Obama does?

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Shocker.

In and of itself, the bowing doesn't mean much. But when combined with his global apology tour and his views on what Amerika should be, I think it speaks volumes.

No way man! Ike and Dick loved America. Obama hates America and is secretly talking to the Russians about our downfall.

fan4ever

Looks like a mutual bow to me...show me one where any other president is practically throwing his back out.

|Zach|
Shocker.

I am just going to file this whole post as fiction.

|Zach|
11-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Looks like a mutual bow to me...show me one where any other president is practically throwing his back out.

Wow, what did you do to your back to have this point of view?

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 11:20 AM

That's because all the others were so old they would have just fallen over.

Reaper16
11-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't give a shit about that, either. I don't presume to know how Obama would have felt in the 50's or 70's and I don't presume to know how historical figures would feel about the current age.

fan4ever
11-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Wow, what did you do to your back to have this point of view?

That's because all the others were so old they would have just fallen over.

Pretty funny stuff; nice to see a sense of humor pop up from time to time.

RINGLEADER
11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Obama is certainly submissive in these settings.

He'd probably argue that he's being reverential.

Personally, I don't know how it matters much in the grand scheme of things so far.

RINGLEADER
11-17-2009, 12:00 PM

ALWAYS LOOK EYE.

Iowanian
11-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Obviously, but it doesn't have anything to do with bowing to a midget. He was just being polite and trying to look him gently in the eyes.

Obama is just lucky that Miagi didn't make him Painta-fence after.

jjjayb
11-17-2009, 12:50 PM
So when Republican Presidents like Nixon and Eisenhower bowed were they also subservient dogs?

As I said in the other thread, it wasn't the fact of him bowing. I don't have a problem with it. It was the way he bowed. I don't recall seeing someone bow that low before. It was very subservient. In fact, it is the type of bow the Japanese use for Apologies, not for greetings.

Fish
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
We need a president that will grab foreign leaders around the neck and bury their faces in his ass as he lets out a beer and burrito fart. Then forcefully beds their wives while making them watch.

That's what Amercah needs dammit.... not some Mooslim Nancy!

BigRedChief
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
We need a president that will grab foreign leaders around the neck and bury their faces in his ass as he lets out a beer and burrito fart. Then forcefully beds their wives while making them watch.

That's what Amercah needs dammit.... not some Mooslim Nancy!ROFL

Old Dog
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
No, WE didn't. You might have though

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Not my president. I wouldn't call him Beta, I would just call him a POS.

Cannibal
11-17-2009, 04:16 PM
I wonder if Obo looked into is eyes and saw his soul.

irishjayhawk
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I really think that the bowing issue has reached new lows for political attacks.

It makes me rethink ever joining a political discussion ever again. That's how absurd it is.

BIG_DADDY
11-17-2009, 04:55 PM
I really think that the bowing issue has reached new lows for political attacks.

It makes me rethink ever joining a political discussion ever again. That's how absurd it is.

We can only hope.

vailpass
11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Look at who the obama supporters are in this thread and on this site. That tells you what you need to know about the section of America to which the empty suit appeals and how he ever got into office in the first place.
Fortunately it is a mistake that won't be repeated.

Reaper16
11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Look at who the obama supporters are in this thread and on this site. That tells you what you need to know about the section of America to which the empty suit appeals and how he ever got into office in the first place.

Yes, the smart, funny posters that don't hate people for being different than them. :D What a terrible group of people.

Demonpenz
11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
wrong end of that one!

thecoffeeguy
11-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Not my president. I wouldn't call him Beta, I would just call him a POS.

I second that.
I didnt elect him.

Norman Einstein
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
You guys keep getting stupider every day in your blind hatred of Obama. Nothing you buy into suprises me anymore yet you were the first to accuse the rest of us as having Bush derangement syndrome.

The leader of the U.S. is on equal ground with any other leader, no bowing should be tolerated by the U.S. people.

If he does as it seems he is out to do we will be expected to bow to everyone around the world. Teh American people will be the dreges of the earth.

NewChief
11-17-2009, 08:40 PM
The leader of the U.S. is on equal ground with any other leader, no bowing should be tolerated by the U.S. people.

If he does as it seems he is out to do we will be expected to bow to everyone around the world. Teh American people will be the dreges of the earth.

Not the DREGES!!! Next thing you'll say that we're COARDS! :p

Sorry, just a funny typo.

BigRedChief
11-17-2009, 08:41 PM
The leader of the U.S. is on equal ground with any other leader, no bowing should be tolerated by the U.S. people.Where were the Republicans at with condenmation when Nixon and Eisenhower bowed?

Jenson71
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM

We should bomb Japan just so they know we're still the bestest evar.

Norman Einstein
11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Where were the Republicans at with condenmation when Nixon and Eisenhower bowed?

I was interested in other things when they were in office. girls and sports were important, the state of the country wasn't as troublesome then.

Norman Einstein
11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
We should bomb Japan just so they know we're still the bestest evar.

You should go talk to your daddy so he can whup your ass.

Norman Einstein
11-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Not the DREGES!!! Next thing you'll say that we're COARDS! :p

Sorry, just a funny typo.

Not really a typo, I can't spell well and I'm too lazy to type on Word and transfer it to here.

blaise
11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Where were the Republicans at with condenmation when Nixon and Eisenhower bowed?

You mean here? Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.

I don't think you can be a beta male and become President of the US. It's about as alpha male a position as there is in the world.

Direckshun
11-17-2009, 10:50 PM
I will say this, having grazed the thread: it's good to finally have come across a crappy, senseless article that reaches so far, most of the conservatives here won't embrace it.

blaise
11-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I will say this, having grazed the thread: it's good to finally have come across a crappy, senseless article that reaches so far, most of the conservatives here won't embrace it.

yes, let us conservatives here strive for the intellectual, smug, condescending and douchebaggy standards set by Direckshun in the above post.

KCWolfman
11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
I find him to be socially weak and underhanded to assume his position, but he did not get his position by not being an "Alpha Male". Subterfuge and dishonest appearances carry as far as a strong and openly disciplined hand like Ronald Reagan's.

Direckshun
11-17-2009, 11:25 PM
yes, let us conservatives here strive for the intellectual, smug, condescending and douchebaggy standards set by Direckshun in the above post.

You know I've been posting on political boards for years, and I've never really found a way to ever avoid those charges of being a condescending, smug douchebag. I consciously tried on some boards but even then I was accused.

Which means one of two things: either I am irredeemably a smug, condescending douche, or everybody can be seen as being that way on a political board.

I won't defend that I'm a douche, but I mean, think about it. Couldn't you really accuse nearly everybody that regulars here of fitting that description? I really think so, which is why I find it kind of useless to throw that kind of accusation around.

Fish
11-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Us Amurcans can't be expected to do no formal respectful greeting like that gay ass bowing.. It's our customs only or y'all can fuck right off.

Respecting other cultures is for pussies and "dreges of the earth"....

KCWolfman
11-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Us Amurcans can't be expected to do no formal respectful greeting like that gay ass bowing.. It's our customs only or y'all can **** right off.

The two times I have seen him bow, the person he was bowing to did not bow back.

I don't find him a dredge, but I do find him to be a wily faux sycophant

AndChiefs
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
Frankly, when visiting other countries the President should try to honor the foreign leaders with their own customs. Hot dogs at the Hyde Park house was here and they should be willing to try to understand American customs on our soil. Mutual respect.

However, the bow was too low for proper respect: especially among equals.

Norman Einstein
11-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Us Amurcans can't be expected to do no formal respectful greeting like that gay ass bowing.. It's our customs only or y'all can **** right off.

Showing respect is very different from showing to be subserviant to a foreign leader. All leaders of nations are on the same level and should not bow. As for the U.S. I think we should show more strength in meeting than weakness. Obama is a spaghetti armed weakling on the world front and the rest of the world leaders will treat him as such until he stands up and leads as he should, with the strength of the mightest military on the face of the earth.

Calcountry
11-18-2009, 01:53 PM

Here is Eisenhower in a complete breaching of the separation of Church and state. That dog! He just completely submits himself to the Catholic Church and America lost all her power in that instant.You know, this post reminded me of the Roys always sticking up for Rich Scanlon, for some strange reason.

Saul Good
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
We should have one of his neighbors put a really bright light in his front yard that shines into the dining room of the White House. If Obama goes over there and knocks on the guy's door and asks him to turn it off, he's an alpha. If he calls the police and/or writes an anonymous letter, he's a beta.

Saul Good
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Frankly, when visiting other countries the President should try to honor the foreign leaders with their own customs. Hot dogs at the Hyde Park house was here and they should be willing to try to understand American customs on our soil. Mutual respect.

However, the bow was too low for proper respect: especially among equals.

When Obama goes to the zoo and visits the gorillas, he should bend over and pull down his pants in front of the dominant silverback.

patteeu
11-18-2009, 07:02 PM
We should have one of his neighbors put a really bright light in his front yard that shines into the dining room of the White House. If Obama goes over there and knocks on the guy's door and asks him to turn it off, he's an alpha. If he calls the police and/or writes an anonymous letter, he's a beta.

ROFL

Saul Good
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
ROFL

That one was totally for you, pat.

irishjayhawk
11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
This actually motivates me to become President. To piss off people simply by customarily bowing as custom indicates is a feat in itself. I wonder what even more subtle things would cause havoc.

BigRedChief
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
This actually motivates me to become President. To piss off people simply by customarily bowing as custom indicates is a feat in itself. I wonder what even more subtle things would cause havoc.Stand in your front yard in Alaska with a pair of binoclears keeping an eye on Putin?

KCWolfman
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
This actually motivates me to become President. To piss off people simply by customarily bowing as custom indicates is a feat in itself. I wonder what even more subtle things would cause havoc.

I know, it is like saying the word "nuclear" incorrectly, isn't it?

NewChief
11-18-2009, 08:44 PM
I know, it is like saying the word "nuclear" incorrectly, isn't it?

I think that made people laugh, rather than angry. I know it made me chuckle every single time. Hell, I laughed just reading your post because I heard "nucular" when I read it.

KCWolfman
11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
I think that made people laugh, rather than angry. I know it made me chuckle every single time. Hell, I laughed just reading your post because I heard "nucular" when I read it.

Really? I have seen people red with rage saying "I can't believe the leader of the free world can't pronounce the word".

Eh, in the mix, it is not a big thing. I find it makes our country look weak, but then he has already done that multiple times. This is no worse.

NewChief
11-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Really? I have seen people red with rage saying "I can't believe the leader of the free world can't pronounce the word".

Eh, in the mix, it is not a big thing. I find it makes our country look weak, but then he has already done that multiple times. This is no worse.

Well, you're right. There were definitely people saying that it made our country look stupid/ignorant/illiterate.

|Zach|
11-18-2009, 09:13 PM

ROFLROFL

|Zach|
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM
There are a lot of legitimate things this President could be ripped on for, I have no idea why so many people on silly shit that means nothing.

RJ
11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't have the time to read the thread, but it's interesting that anyone would think a man could become POTUS without being an Alpha male. How would that be possible?

KS Smitty
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.ppaquarium.com/..%5Cimages%5CBETTA%20MALE%20BLUE.JPG

Norman Einstein
11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't have the time to read the thread, but it's interesting that anyone would think a man could become POTUS without being an Alpha male. How would that be possible?

The man is handled by alpha males and is a very well trained beta male.

Calcountry
11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
There are a lot of legitimate things this President could be ripped on for, I have no idea why so many people on silly shit that means nothing.Like, double digit employment while trying to raise taxes to fund health care benefits that won't be received for 4 years? Yeah, that's true.

jjjayb
11-19-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.moonbattery.com/bk.jpg