PDA

View Full Version : Football Helmet-free practices?

LaChapelle
11-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Helmet-free practices in NFL's future?

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 17, 2009 7:07 PM ET

As the NFL continues to grapple with stories of former players living with long-term brain damage, there's a new proposal being discussed that would reduce the number of head-on collisions that players experience: Start practicing without helmets.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that John Madden, in his new role as an adviser to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, is regularly leading conference calls with a group of coaches to discuss ways to make the NFL safer, and one of the recommendations has been practicing without helmets.

The group of coaches Madden has regular discussions with -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, Eagles coach Andy Reid, Chargers coach Norv Turner, 49ers coach Mike Singletary and former coach Mike Holmgren -- have spoken about how they could make practices safer for players by taking the helmets off.

For his part, Madden -- an old-school coach of the 1970s -- has a hard time picturing an NFL practice without helmets. But he says the coaches of today aren't ruling it out.

"It seems a little far-fetched," Madden said, "but it's something the coaches have been talking about."

Madden, who also wants to see rules limiting off-season work, eliminating wedges on kickoff returns and eradicating hits on defenseless players, said he's enjoying his role as an adviser to the commissioner because he believes Goodell is dedicated to improving the game by making it safer.

"He's very interested in this, pushing safety, not only concussions, but the whole safety of the game, making sure it's played right, which I appreciate," Madden said. "And it's one of the reasons I'm involved. I know the things we believe in and the things we stand for are the same things the Commissioner stands for."

DBOSHO
11-17-2009, 06:00 PM
Pretty good idea.

Lets give them all flags too.

BigVE
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
Seems to me that playing/practicing without helmets would lead to MORE concussions, not less.

Demonpenz
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
i've said it for years. if you don't have a helmet your aren't going to tackle with your head right into someones sternum.

CaliforniaChief
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
I find myself complaining about all these 15 yard penalties (like last night's against the Browns on the Flacco sack) and say things like "Might as well make it touch football" and stuff like that.

But I'm not the 40 year old ex-player who can't get out of bed in the morning without a bottle of pills. I'm also not the 50 year old ex-player who can't remember names, perform basic motor functions, etc...and I'm not the 55 year old ex-player in a coffin because I had to medicate the pain with alcohol, drugs, and other painkillers.

Buck
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Whats next?

PED-Free Baseball?

Kyle DeLexus
11-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Whats next?

PED-Free Baseball?

Don't even joke! if that every happens I'll boycott baseball.

Raised On Riots
11-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Pretty good idea.

Lets give them all flags too.

This.

The good news is, in about 15 years this game will suck so fucking bad that we can start a whole new league of old-school, ass-kicking football and put the NFL in the fucking ground once and for all.

And KC's team is NOT wearing yellow, motherfuckers.:cuss:

RJ
11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
They're worried about head injuries so they're going to get rid of helmets during practice?

What am I missing here?

C-Mac
11-17-2009, 07:41 PM
Seems to me that playing/practicing without helmets would lead to MORE concussions, not less.

As an ex-football and ex-rugby player, I respectfully disagree.

Terribilis
11-18-2009, 01:37 PM
They're worried about head injuries so they're going to get rid of helmets during practice?

What am I missing here?
John Madden, in his new role as an adviser to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell

Demonpenz
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM
maybe the helmets provide protection in life threatning injuries but cause more concussions. I just know if you have a helmet you can just go in full force on peoples legs and not care about your head but you are more likely to get your head out of the way when wrapping up if you have no helmet. Trent Greens concussion with the chiefs on old style astroturf no helmet

HemiEd
11-18-2009, 01:44 PM

What am I missing here?

Helmet to helmet, is a pretty common occurance.
Something has to give, and it is not going to be the helmet.

I wonder whatever happened to that new space age look helmet? I started a thread about it a few years ago?

Here it is http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=179060

38yrsfan
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM

What am I missing here?

I would assume that it is intended to get players away from the "human-torpedo" mindset. The majority of their time is spent on practice sessions and with increased time in that type of helmet-less environment it would naturally lead to an inclination to not dive headfirst into another player or a pile - that would kind of hurt I imagine.

Changing the attitude and "common practice" is the intention.

IMO

CoMoChief
11-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Pretty soon the league will mandate "Pro Bowl" rules only.

You will then see scores in the 50's regularly.

"That's Arenaball" - Herm Edwards would have a cow.