PDA

View Full Version : KU Whitlock: Doughnuts 1, Mangino 0

DeezNutz
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnists/jason_whitlock/story/1577294.html

It’s the weight. That’s why Mark Mangino’s job is in jeopardy. That’s why Lew Perkins held a paper-trail meeting with Kansas football players Monday night.

If this is the end for Mark Mangino’s head-coaching career at Kansas — and it should be — his inability to deal with his weight problem is the cause.

This column is not an attempt to shame, embarrass or ridicule Mangino. As you know, I’m overweight. I’m a shade over 6 feet tall and this morning, I weighed 325 pounds. (Oh, that hurt to write.) I’ve been heavier. Much.

I can relate to Mangino’s struggle. He’s three or four inches shorter than me, and he weighs anywhere from 450 to 500 pounds. He’s a public figure in a demanding, high-stress job.

The weight and the stress form a perfect recipe for depression. They can put your mind in a very negative place. They can make you moody and volatile.

Football is a violent game, oftentimes coached by grown men who strain to control their emotions. For every Bill Snyder, there are a handful of Mike Stoops, especially among assistants.

We’ve known since his arrival at Kansas that Mangino labors to contain his temper. He berated refs at his son’s high school football game. We’ve watched him verbally undress his players on the sideline. We’ve seen assistant coaches bolt the program and heard the behind-the-scenes stories about the abuse they endured from their head coach.

In more than seven years of covering Mangino’s Jayhawks, I’ve never heard anyone associated with the program describe him as “happy.”

Mangino coaches from an angry place. It’s not surprising, to me, given his weight problem.

You might be inclined to dismiss the alleged complaints of a few current and former Jayhawks who grumble that Mangino is physically and verbally abusive to his players. You might think it’s no big deal that a coach yells, cusses and puts his hands on his players.

It’s not that big a deal when the coach loves his players as hard as he pushes them. That’s what’s missing in the Mangino equation. Where’s the love?

Beyond X’s and O’s, good coaching is a transference of energy. It takes a massive amount of energy to impact 100 boys on a college campus. At his age (53) and weight, Mangino cannot sustain the necessary energy level to positively influence his players. His team is being engulfed by his negative energy, a dark spirit driven by his excess weight.

The signs of this can be seen on and off the field.

A loss to Texas on Saturday will be KU’s sixth straight. And the promised “historic” season has turned into a nightmare primarily because Mangino’s prized offense lost its swagger.

Part of the rift between the football and basketball players was a byproduct of Mangino’s players mirroring their coach’s mentality about the basketball program. Despite a $2 million-a-year contract and a $33 million football facility, Mangino has always felt undervalued and unappreciated at Kansas.

Relieving Mangino of his coaching responsibilities at this moment would be the humane thing to do for his health and a blessing for his career.

Two years ago, Mangino peaked, carrying the Jayhawks to 12-1, an Orange Bowl victory and a top-10 ranking. He didn’t get one job offer. It was the weight.

If he spent two years away from football addressing his weight problem, applied for a job at 270 pounds, he would be a can’t-miss BCS candidate. Heck, he would be a terrific choice to coach in the NFL.

Every problem he experienced at Kansas could be blamed on his weight.

I’d love for Mangino and Perkins to reach an amicable, fair settlement. It would not be good for Mangino or Kansas for Mangino to return next year. He can’t recruit this offseason with everyone knowing he’s in a likely one-and-done situation.

“I may have lost some people around here, but it’s not the players,” Mangino said Tuesday.

Mangino asked the media to interpret that comment. It sounds like an admission that he doesn’t have the support of his administration. KU has a new AD and chancellor since Mangino arrived. In many respects, Mangino’s demise at KU is/was inevitable.

He’s working for an athletics director (Perkins) who has personal, intimate knowledge of how weight affects job performance. Perkins once weighed more than 400 pounds. It’s unfortunate that Mangino did not turn Perkins into his strongest ally when it came to battling weight.

We know Perkins is a formidable foe.

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Jason Whitlock is the Alex Jones of sports

Frazod
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Hopefully Mangino will sit on Perkins after he gets fired.

DaneMcCloud
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, it's too bad for Mangino but JFC, I watched the KU-K-State game and could not believe my eyes.

That man should not be coaching young college athletes. He needs to spend a couple of years on a fat farm and learn to control his eating.

DeezNutz
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
In all seriousness, Mangino has to address his weight problem, or the dude will be dead pretty damn soon. 53? Asking the heart to do that much work? Fuck...

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
His game plan vs Nebraska was pretty damn good, I've yet to see a team handle Nebraskas front 4 though I think they were trying to make Reesing a pocket QB.

DBOSHO
11-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Wait a second...

Whitlock is criticizing someone on being fat?

KcMizzou
11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Wait a second...

Whitlock is criticizing someone on being fat?I don't think so...

This column is not an attempt to shame, embarrass or ridicule Mangino. As you know, Iím overweight. Iím a shade over 6 feet tall and this morning, I weighed 325 pounds. (Oh, that hurt to write.) Iíve been heavier. Much.

I can relate to Manginoís struggle. Heís three or four inches shorter than me, and he weighs anywhere from 450 to 500 pounds. Heís a public figure in a demanding, high-stress job.

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Dude Whitlock is small compared to Mangino.

Mangino is so big his head looks like a watermelon.

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 11:05 PM
People were wearing shirts at the game that said " Our coach has the body shape of Buddah"

BigChiefFan
11-17-2009, 11:06 PM
If he is fired for his weight, that's discrimination. You can't fire someone for being overweight.

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 11:07 PM
If he is fired for his weight, that's discrimination. You can't fire someone for being overweight.

The Houston Texans are named the Texans cuz Houston is a city in Texas.

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:10 PM

Dude Charlie Weis almost died having a gastric bypass surgery because no one would hire him cause he was fat..

For a high stress job being extremely overweight is not good. If anything Mangino should welcome some time off to drop some weight.

KcMizzou
11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
If he is fired for his weight, that's discrimination. You can't fire someone for being overweight.It's not that... it's the fact that they're losing. (A lot)

As I posted in another thread... "23-39 in the Big 12, even with the season he caught lightning in a bottle (and a favorable schedule)."

And headed to a 1-7 or 2-6 conference record this season. A season in which his team was the clear favorite to win the North.

Now that the season's basically in the toilet... current and former players are coming out with complaints they held back before.

I don't think it has a thing to do with him being fat... unless like Whitlock says... being fat is the root of his generally nasty disposition.

Sure-Oz
11-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Mangino needs to get on that 'the biggest loser' show

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
It's not that... it's the fact that they're losing. (A lot)

As I posted in another thread... "23-39 in the Big 12, even with the season he caught lightning in a bottle (and a favorable schedule)."

And headed to a 1-7 or 2-6 conference record this season. A season in which his team was the clear favorite to win the North.

Now that the season's basically in the toilet... current and former players are coming out with complaints they held back before.

I don't think it has a thing to do with him being fat... unless like Whitlock says... being fat is the root of his generally nasty disposition.

Mangino is Ku's best coach record wise and KU was not a clear favorite to win the north.

Sure-Oz
It's not that... it's the fact that they're losing. (A lot)

He definetly has that going against him though, im thinking he wouldve been offered solid jobs elsewhere after that nice run...

DaneMcCloud
Dude Charlie Weis almost died having a gastric bypass surgery because no one would hire him cause he was fat..

For a high stress job being extremely overweight is not good. If anything Mangino should welcome some time off to drop some weight.

5'10, 500 pounds isn't extremely overweight.

It's obese. It's lethal. If the guy wants to live, he needs to get his shit together and lose 250 pounds, minimum.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Dude Whitlock is small compared to Mangino.

Mangino is so big his head looks like a watermelon.

You're on the clock.

SPchief
11-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Wait, so KU sucks at confernce football because Mangino is overweight?

:spock:

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
You're on the clock.

I already picked.

'Hamas' Jenkins
If I was a player, I know it'd be hard to do conditioning drills when your head coach has to spend three hours to get through TSA at the airport because of all the lead in his ass.

Mecca
5'10, 500 pounds isn't extremely overweight.

It's obese. It's lethal. If the guy wants to live, he needs to get his shit together and lose 250 pounds, minimum.

I was 5'11 and weighed 247 and thought I was massively overweight.

Sure-Oz
11-17-2009, 11:26 PM
I wonder wtf his breakfast lunch and dinner consist of

'Hamas' Jenkins
I'm 6'1, 200 and feel fat right now. I can't imagine what an extra me and a half would feel like.

'Hamas' Jenkins

It probably costs him near 3 digits to eat off the Dollar Menu.

Chocolate Hog
11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
If Mangino quits I wonder if Keyshton Terry plays somewhere else

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I dropped 47lbs, I'm now 5'11 200......I'm shooting for 20-30 more.

Sure-Oz
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
It probably costs him near 3 digits to eat off the Dollar Menu.

I bet he pours gobs of bbq sauce and maple syrup on everything

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-17-2009, 11:29 PM
He'd be a great coach in the National Foodball League.

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I thought about that too...christ...you'd have to eat six large pizzas just for breakfast to maintain that kind of weight.

DaneMcCloud
11-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I dropped 47lbs, I'm now 5'11 200......I'm shooting for 20-30 more.

Good for you, Dude! Stay as lean as possible for as long as you can.

I was 6'1, 195-200 until I was 40 years old (32" waist). Since turning 40, it's a fucking bitch to stay lean. I'm about 215 right now, I eat very healthy, walk at least 10 miles a week in the hills and do some serious mountain biking at least once a week.

Aging SUCKS!

Sure-Oz
11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
I thought about that too...christ...you'd have to eat six large pizzas just for breakfast to maintain that kind of weight.

I would love to see him face Adam from Man vs Food on travel channel....that would be hilarious. I would like to see mangino attack the 190lb hamburger

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Good for you, Dude! Stay as lean as possible for as long as you can.

I was 6'1, 195-200 until I was 40 years old (32" waist). Since turning 40, it's a fucking bitch to stay lean. I'm about 215 right now, I eat very healthy, walk at least 10 miles a week in the hills and do some serious mountain biking at least once a week.

Aging SUCKS!

I wear a 34 waist at 200lbs, I'm built kind of big.

DaneMcCloud
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
I wear a 34 waist at 200lbs, I'm built kind of big.

Just keep going, Dude. 47 pounds is awesome!

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Just keep going, Dude. 47 pounds is awesome!

Honestly I use to weigh 180 when I was about 21, when I realize that now I hate myself and think why did I let myself get so big.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
When I was 18, I weighed 138 pounds.
By the time I was 22, I weighed 205.

Phobia
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
That dude is 53? I'll bet he spends half his salary on beef. On behalf of the farmers, let him keep his job.

Mecca
11-17-2009, 11:48 PM

Do you know my brother?

Kid eats everything in sight downs soda's, eats entire pizza's...weighs 135lbs.

DA_T_84
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I'm a k-state fan, and it has been an easy thing to point at and laugh, especially since it's the whole instate rival and they beat us a few times in a row the past couple years.

I really want to make fun; but honestly, I think it is sad more than anything. He is a ****ing prisoner in his own body. He has a sickness. An addiction. Just like a drug addict or someone with OCD. He needs very serious help. Very soon.

Can you imagine what its like to be in his family? Having to look them in the eyes? Having to further put up with it because you are a public figure? I can't imagine him and his wife have a happy and healthy relationship. It isn't physically possible for them to have sex. Anytime they ever go out in public he is looked at like a circus freak. That has to ****ing drive him even further into depression.

It's a vicious cycle. I truly, truly want to see him get help because I think its a very sad situation. And shame on everyone around him who enabled him to get that big. He has so many resources at his disposal: lots of money, state of the art facilities and personal trainers, staff dieticians, players who look up to him and work hard as hell to stay fit, and he just gets bigger.

Again. Just sad.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-18-2009, 12:07 AM
Do you know my brother?

Kid eats everything in sight downs soda's, eats entire pizza's...weighs 135lbs.

Once I hit 21, all that shit changed. My metabolism slowed way down. I have a roommate from college who is 29 now. Still constantly eats like shit and I don't think he's anything over 160.

When I was on a consistent weight lifting program and I was in HS, I weighed around 155, dripping wet. But once I stopped, that shit just melted off of me.

veist
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
So I'm friends with Chris Tyrrell's brother, man does he have some stories about playing under Mangino. Ultimately things like, how does a guy take you seriously when you get all over his case about being overweight when you not only have no control over your weight but also have to pound a pizza after the game before you can meet with the press? You lose credibility doing that and what happens when its something where you should have credibility but at this point they're tuning you out now?

LaChapelle
11-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Which came first, Mangino or the flat lands of Kansas?

BillSelfsTrophycase
11-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Wait a second...

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/Jason%20Whitlock,%20thinking%20hard-thumb.jpg

Short Leash Hootie
11-18-2009, 06:25 AM
he wasn't criticizing IMO...he was giving advice/takes on something he knows quite well...and like he said, he has a weight problem as well...but like other people pointed out...compared to Mangino, Whitlock is Michael Phelps.

milkman
11-18-2009, 06:30 AM

When I joined the Navy, I weighed 115 (5'7" tall), at the end of boot camp, I weighed 130.
I've maintained a weight in the 155-160 range since I was about 38.

BigRedChief
11-18-2009, 06:36 AM
In all seriousness, Mangino has to address his weight problem, or the dude will be dead pretty damn soon. 53? Asking the heart to do that much work? ****...My blood pressure was 180/110. I lost 63 lbs so far. BP at the Dr. last week 110/70.

DeezNutz
11-18-2009, 06:50 AM
My blood pressure was 180/110. I lost 63 lbs so far. BP at the Dr. last week 110/70.

Outstanding, man. Keep up the good work.

Agent V
11-18-2009, 06:54 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Are you and DBOSHO even reading the article?

Christofire
11-18-2009, 06:59 AM
One of my fave pictures is from the Orange Bowl with Mangino standong next to -- and dwarfing -- the orange bowl mascot.
Posted via Mobile Device

eazyb81
11-18-2009, 07:21 AM
If Mangino quits I wonder if Keyshton Terry plays somewhere else

After this mess I would assume he heads to Nebraska.

thebrad84
11-18-2009, 07:26 AM
One of my fave pictures is from the Orange Bowl with Mangino standong next to -- and dwarfing -- the orange bowl mascot.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/9627/Mangino_and_Orange_Bowl_mascot.jpg

Groves
11-18-2009, 07:38 AM
I bet he pours gobs of bbq sauce and maple syrup on everything

Little too close to home, stickboy. Back off.

shitgoose
11-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Mangino would be the perfect anchor on a tug of war team

patteeu
11-18-2009, 07:41 AM

Where'd you get that idea?

OnTheWarpath58
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/9627/Mangino_and_Orange_Bowl_mascot.jpg

ROFL

That mascot is looking at Mark like, "I'm next. But only after he covers me in chocolate and bacon grease."

HemiEd
11-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I was 5'11 and weighed 247 and thought I was massively overweight.

You were.

boogblaster
11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Another Whitless Babbling .....

Boris The Great
11-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I think the doughnuts are way farther ahead than 1-0. Its like a mercy rule situation.

Sure-Oz
11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Little too close to home, stickboy. Back off.

you do that too? i pretty much put bbq sauce on everything but i get bad acid reflux

Bearcat2005
11-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Seriously.... a weight card? Jason, your trying too hard to find another angle to this story.

Lzen
11-18-2009, 12:01 PM
So I'm friends with Chris Tyrrell's brother, man does he have some stories about playing under Mangino. Ultimately things like, how does a guy take you seriously when you get all over his case about being overweight when you not only have no control over your weight but also have to pound a pizza after the game before you can meet with the press? You lose credibility doing that and what happens when its something where you should have credibility but at this point they're tuning you out now?

Ummmm.....who is Chris Tyrrell?

bowener
11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
So I was looking for pictures of Mangino from this season to see if he looks any worse, can't really tell, looks bad every year (honestly I do feel bad for the guy, that cannot be easy to deal with daily), but what I came across in search of that made me laugh out load.

Behold, Nick Saban:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R1JJBFm7RJI/AAAAAAAAD58/SbVGAzqb2Wc/s400/NickSaban.jpg (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7OC0YbG2fek/R1JJBFm7RJI/AAAAAAAAD58/urNeg5HOhWA/s1600-R/NickSaban.jpg)I found it here (http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html).

Sure-Oz
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Isn't his family thin id think a guy with that much money would get some help

Gravedigger
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Whitlock will always be Whitlock.

Skip Towne
11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Wait a second...

No. He's just "weighing in" on the subject.

joesomebody
11-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Overheard at a gas station following the 2007 loss to Mizzou at Arrowhead.

Magino: So uh, we're sort of lost. Any idea how I can get back to 435?

Gas Station Attendant: Quit eating.

Raised On Riots
11-18-2009, 04:56 PM
ROFL

That mascot is looking at Mark like, "I'm next. But only after he covers me in chocolate and bacon grease."

LMAO

88TG88
11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
I think the doughnuts are way farther ahead than 1-0. Its like a mercy rule situation.

ROFL

veist
11-18-2009, 05:11 PM
Ummmm.....who is Chris Tyrrell?

Nobody special played P/K was on the team like 2000-03 though I think he was only a "starter" (as much as a kicker is a starter) in 01, not trying to name drop just trying to say that is where I've heard it from. Point being more this has been a problem with Mangino pretty much from the beginning.

Skip Towne
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm a k-state fan, and it has been an easy thing to point at and laugh, especially since it's the whole instate rival and they beat us a few times in a row the past couple years.

I really want to make fun; but honestly, I think it is sad more than anything. He is a ****ing prisoner in his own body. He has a sickness. An addiction. Just like a drug addict or someone with OCD. He needs very serious help. Very soon.

Can you imagine what its like to be in his family? Having to look them in the eyes? Having to further put up with it because you are a public figure? I can't imagine him and his wife have a happy and healthy relationship. It isn't physically possible for them to have sex. Anytime they ever go out in public he is looked at like a circus freak. That has to ****ing drive him even further into depression.

It's a vicious cycle. I truly, truly want to see him get help because I think its a very sad situation. And shame on everyone around him who enabled him to get that big. He has so many resources at his disposal: lots of money, state of the art facilities and personal trainers, staff dieticians, players who look up to him and work hard as hell to stay fit, and he just gets bigger.

Again. Just sad.

I'll bet the KU medical center would staple his stomach for free. He must not want to change.