PDA

View Full Version : Obama Pray For Obama: Psalm 109:8

NewChief
11-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.blogher.com/it-joke-or-it-hatred-disguised-biblical-language

Is it a joke, or is it hatred disguised in Biblical language?
by Mata H

Over the past few days, a Biblical verse has reportedly topped the google trends charts. It is also turning up in bumper stickers and tee shirts across the country. It reads:

“Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8”

But what do you see when you look up that Psalm?

“May his days be few; may another take his office.”

But take a look at the whole psalm, especially the lines immediately after this one -- lines the original framer of this sticker -- and many others after him/her could not have failed to miss:

9 May his children be fatherless
and his wife a widow.

10 May his children be wandering beggars;
may they be driven from their ruined homes.

I don't want to paste all the editorializing that the rest of the blog post contains, because I don't want to appear to endorse it, but I felt that this bumper sticker would make for some interesting discussion. How can it not? Politics and religion. What's not to love?

I was also surprised that no one else had already brought this up in DC, so pardon if it's a repost.

Jilly
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Awesome. Love it when the Bible is taken out of context. :shake:

KCWolfman
11-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Well, you can take two tracts with this one (Pun intended)

You can assume someone is praying he be removed from office (which is not funny in anyway at all)

or

You can hope he is a single term POTUS - which I most certainly do. If all goes well and he leaves after four years, someone else will take his office.

Reaper16
11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
That's pretty clever to me.

Donger
11-18-2009, 10:50 AM

What's that one goes: "It's is easier for a camel (or something) to pass through an eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God"? That's not verbatim, obviously.

Mr. Kotter
11-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Your "side" does it as often, or more, than the "other" side. Hopefully, you hate it then too.

Jilly
11-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Your "side" does it as often, or more, than the "other" side. Hopefully, you hate it then too.

not an argument worth having

NewChief
11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Muslims all over the world are reading this right now saying, "Well, the Bible advocates overthrowing your leader. At least the Koran doesn't do that!"

KC native
11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Muslims all over the world are reading this right now saying, "Well, the Bible advocates overthrowing your leader. At least the Koran doesn't do that!"

ROFL

ROYC75
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Sounds like an attack from the left blaming the right to me. The wholes Psalmist does not relate tot he POTUS.

NewChief
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Sounds like an attack from the left blaming the right to me. The wholes Psalmist does not relate tot he POTUS.

:spock:

wild1
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
I googled this chapter. It sounds like the author is talking about something/someone specific he was faced with.

Psalm 109
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 O God, whom I praise,
do not remain silent,

2 for wicked and deceitful men
have opened their mouths against me;
they have spoken against me with lying tongues.

3 With words of hatred they surround me;
they attack me without cause.

4 In return for my friendship they accuse me,
but I am a man of prayer.

5 They repay me evil for good,
and hatred for my friendship.

6 Appoint an evil man to oppose him;
let an accuser stand at his right hand.

7 When he is tried, let him be found guilty,
and may his prayers condemn him.

8 May his days be few;
may another take his place of leadership.

9 May his children be fatherless
and his wife a widow.

10 May his children be wandering beggars;
may they be driven from their ruined homes.

11 May a creditor seize all he has;
may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.

12 May no one extend kindness to him
or take pity on his fatherless children.

13 May his descendants be cut off,
their names blotted out from the next generation.

14 May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD;
may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.

15 May their sins always remain before the LORD,
that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

16 For he never thought of doing a kindness,
but hounded to death the poor
and the needy and the brokenhearted.

17 He loved to pronounce a curse—
may it come on him;
he found no pleasure in blessing—
may it be far from him.

18 He wore cursing as his garment;
it entered into his body like water,
into his bones like oil.

19 May it be like a cloak wrapped about him,
like a belt tied forever around him.

20 May this be the LORD's payment to my accusers,
to those who speak evil of me.

21 But you, O Sovereign LORD,
deal well with me for your name's sake;
out of the goodness of your love, deliver me.

22 For I am poor and needy,
and my heart is wounded within me.

23 I fade away like an evening shadow;
I am shaken off like a locust.

24 My knees give way from fasting;
my body is thin and gaunt.

25 I am an object of scorn to my accusers;
when they see me, they shake their heads.

26 Help me, O LORD my God;
save me in accordance with your love.

27 Let them know that it is your hand,
that you, O LORD, have done it.

28 They may curse, but you will bless;
when they attack they will be put to shame,
but your servant will rejoice.

29 My accusers will be clothed with disgrace
and wrapped in shame as in a cloak.

30 With my mouth I will greatly extol the LORD;
in the great throng I will praise him.

31 For he stands at the right hand of the needy one,
to save his life from those who condemn him.

Pitt Gorilla
11-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Your "side" does it as often, or more, than the "other" side. Hopefully, you hate it then too.What side is she on? I think she's a preacher of some sort, so I would guess the Christian side?

wild1
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
What side is she on? I think she's a preacher of some sort, so I would guess the Christian side?

Would a preacher say they were religious but "with a wink"?

Norman Einstein
11-18-2009, 12:27 PM
What side is she on? I think she's a preacher of some sort, so I would guess the Christian side?

Many Christian preachers fail to understand that they also have problems with what the bible says. Nobody is perfect and that nobody includes preachers.

patteeu
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.blogher.com/it-joke-or-it-hatred-disguised-biblical-language

I don't want to paste all the editorializing that the rest of the blog post contains, because I don't want to appear to endorse it, but I felt that this bumper sticker would make for some interesting discussion. How can it not? Politics and religion. What's not to love?

I was also surprised that no one else had already brought this up in DC, so pardon if it's a repost.

I would bet that that's the same reason the person who started circulating this thing didn't include 109:9 and 109:10 (i.e. the parts about fatherless children, widowed wives, and wandering beggars).

Jilly
11-18-2009, 12:37 PM

I think we all know by observing my posts, etc. That I'm my own person and I think for most, observing the post above mine here (provided it's still there) that it can be shocking to think of a preacher as so human. Yes, I'm on the Christian side, but what does that even mean? It obviously means for some that hate and prejudice is an acceptable manner of living, but drinking and cussing and sexuality is evil. And for others it means that our capacity to love beyond boundaries and walls is far more important than denying our own humanity to obtain a lifestyle of "behavior" that is far reaching and impossible to uphold.

The "side" I'm on is the one that God has laid before me....and it's my path to walk and no one else's.

I'm so sorry that this seems like such a defensive post....I'm simply putting it out there because I'm well aware of the distinction of sides and just want to make it clear I'm on my own side, am my own person, and I wish others could see themselves as that way as well.

patteeu
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I respect your Christianity, Jilly, even if it bleeds over into what I think are well-intentioned but corrosive political views. I just wish you weren't on the side of intolerance and taking DC business to the Lounge.

Jilly
11-18-2009, 12:51 PM
I respect your Christianity, Jilly, even if it bleeds over into what I think are well-intentioned but corrosive political views. I just wish you weren't on the side of intolerance and taking DC business to the Lounge.

:p ass

Mr. Kotter
11-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I think we all know by observing my posts, etc. That I'm my own person and I think for most, observing the post above mine here (provided it's still there) that it can be shocking to think of a preacher as so human. Yes, I'm on the Christian side, but what does that even mean? It obviously means for some that hate and prejudice is an acceptable manner of living, but drinking and cussing and sexuality is evil. And for others it means that our capacity to love beyond boundaries and walls is far more important than denying our own humanity to obtain a lifestyle of "behavior" that is far reaching and impossible to uphold.

The "side" I'm on is the one that God has laid before me....and it's my path to walk and no one else's.

I'm so sorry that this seems like such a defensive post....I'm simply putting it out there because I'm well aware of the distinction of sides and just want to make it clear I'm on my own side, am my own person, and I wish others could see themselves as that way as well.

I honestly didn't mean to open a Pandora's box here, despite PG's assumption.

I think it's pretty clear that many religious folks, preachers or otherwise, often take scripture out-of-context to support their own views and political leanings. The right has been notorious for it, but so have those on the left at times. I was just pointing out that your comment had a bit of 'skillet-calling-the-kettle-black' dynamic going on with tit.

For example, that some types of "intolerance" are repugnant, but other types of "intolerance" are somehow laudable....well, that's a bit of a double-standard, as far as I'm concerned.

The priesthood of all believers and free will (dang it, huh?)....tend to lead all of us to look for things that support our own point-of-view. It happens on both sides of the political aisle--plenty.

Jilly
11-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I honestly didn't mean to open a Pandora's box here, despite PG's assumption.

I think it's pretty clear that many religious folks, preachers or otherwise, often take scripture out-of-context to support their own views and political leanings. The right has been notorious for it, but so have those on the left at times. I was just pointing out that your comment had a bit of 'skillet-calling-the-kettle-black' dynamic going on with tit.

For example, why some types of "intolerance" are repugnant, but other types of "intolerance" are somehow laudable....well, that's a bit of a double-standard, as far as I'm concerned.

The priesthood of all believers and free will (dang it, huh?)....tend to lead all of us to look for things that support our own point-of-view. It happens on both sides of the political isle. That was only point really.

Sorry, I've gotten a few reps lately that are kinda hateful and ugly, it's put me on the defense a little.

Pitt Gorilla
11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Would a preacher say they were religious but "with a wink"?Sure. Why not?

Calcountry
11-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Well, you can take two tracts with this one (Pun intended)

You can assume someone is praying he be removed from office (which is not funny in anyway at all)

or

You can hope he is a single term POTUS - which I most certainly do. If all goes well and he leaves after four years, someone else will take his office.Certainly Obama shouldn't have any trouble bowing before Lord Jesus. I mean, he has bowed before everyone else.

NewChief
11-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I would bet that that's the same reason the person who started circulating this thing didn't include 109:9 and 109:10 (i.e. the parts about fatherless children, widowed wives, and wandering beggars).

I think "May his days be few" makes the point plenty clearly. Also

"Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8-10" just isn't as cool of a bumper sticker.

Pitt Gorilla
11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
It happens on both sides of the political aisle--plenty.I think people are well aware of that, Kotter; I honestly think you can focus on something else.

In this case, Jilly didn't really appear to be coming from a political side; she denounces (someone/anyone) taking the Bible out of context. You appear to agree with her completely, yet feel the need to label her comment with a "side." I guess I don't get that.

patteeu
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I think "May his days be few" makes the point plenty clearly. Also

"Pray for Obama: Psalm 109:8-10" just isn't as cool of a bumper sticker.

I hope his days are few. If they're 4 years instead of 8 years, I'll be happy. If he resigns in disgrace early, I'll consider it a blessing even if we have to endure a bumbling Biden presidency for the duration. That doesn't mean I hope he dies.

Jenson71
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM

Yep, definitely.

bevischief
11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Many Christian preachers fail to understand that they also have problems with what the bible says. Nobody is perfect and that nobody includes preachers.

Look at all those super churches and preachers on tv...

bevischief
11-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Certainly Obama shouldn't have any trouble bowing before Lord Jesus. I mean, he has bowed before everyone else.

ROFLROFL

Iowanian
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Sounds like 109:11 predicted his financial policy.