PDA

View Full Version : Life Hernia?

NewChief
11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
So I'm opening a jar tonight (which had been put in the fridge prior to initial opening despite me continously telling my wife that these particular jars are almost impossible to open once they're cold...anyway), and I'm grunting away at the freaking thing. I finally pop it open and I feel a stabbing pain in my abdomen just below my heart, pretty close to my sternum. It feels like I'm having a heart attack or something. I look down at my chest, and I've a huge lump sticking up. I feel around it, and it feels like some tissue has pooched up from between the muscle. It hurts like a bitch, and I think I've either gotten a hernia or somehow cracked a rib opening a fucking jar.

I pushed at the lump, and it's gone away now. I still have some soreness, but nothing like the initial pain. Any docs/pts out there know wtf just happened to me? The lump sticking out of my abdomen an inch or two was freaky.

Rain Man
11-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Can you get a hernia in your ribs? I thought those were only lower abdomen phenomena.

I have no idea what kind of lump would come out of your ribs unless you tore some cartilege or something.

Either that or it was your aorta breaking loose. Was it pulsing? And are you unconscious now?

Dicky McElephant
11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
There are several types of hernias, based on where they occur:

•Inguinal hernia appears as a bulge in the groin or scrotum. This type is more common in men than women.
•Femoral hernia appears as a bulge in the upper thigh. This type is more common in women than in men.
•Incisional hernia can occur through a scar if you have had abdominal surgery.
•Umbilical hernia appears as a bulge around the belly button. It occurs when the muscle around the navel doesn't close completely.

You don't have a hernia.

NewChief
11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Can you get a hernia in your ribs? I thought those were only lower abdomen phenomena.

I have no idea what kind of lump would come out of your ribs unless you tore some cartilege or something.

Either that or it was your aorta breaking loose. Was it pulsing? And are you unconscious now?

I swear to god right after it happened, I wasn't completely sure that I wasn't about to die in the next 30 seconds.

Donger
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
You didn't recently visit LV-426, did you?

chefsos
11-18-2009, 06:34 PM
http://madogre.com/images/alien.gif

Gonzo
11-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like a dislocated rib to me. I've done that before, (when I was fat) underneath my shoulderblade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hog Farmer
11-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Hiatal hernia brother , sorry ! I've got one too.

JohninGpt
11-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Heart attack,.. major heart attack, you should really take a couple Bayer aspirins.

Jenson71
11-18-2009, 07:29 PM
If the lump comes back, just keep pushing it back in. Maybe wear a tighter undershirt for a few days.

Good luck.

damaticous
11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
<object width="512" height="296 "><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/VzZPtAEhj2lvcD5LOq3R4w"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/VzZPtAEhj2lvcD5LOq3R4w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

MahiMike
11-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Hey I recently just had the same thing. Playing racquetball running full speed and reaching low across my body. Sharp pain like I broke a rib. That was 2 mos ago and I thought I was over it. Now as I play again I feel it. Starting to wonder if it's a hernia and not a rib. Mine's in the back of the rib. kidney area.