PDA

View Full Version : Football A hypothetical draft question for you.

Rain Man
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Assume that we have 8 picks in the draft. Which of the outcomes would you most like to have? We'll have voting in the handy accompanying poll.

1 drafted guy who goes to 8 pro bowls over his career and the others are journeymen or busts.

2 drafted guys who each go to 4 pro bowls over their careers and the others are journeymen or busts.

4 drafted guys who each go to 2 pro bowls over their careers and the others are journeymen or busts.

8 drafted guys who each go to 1 pro bowl over their careers .

Bane
11-18-2009, 11:43 PM
I voted 2 4 timers.I would think with all the research that goes into the draft now days a team should be able to come out with 2 players that end up being pro bowl material.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
4 2-time probowlers. I don't know why, but that seems like a more even team and a consistent one.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM
In a draft? Give me 8 one time PB's.

Hell, Brian Waters was a 4 time PBer. So much of it is based on popularity that often going one time isn't that much different than going 3-5 times.

Roy Williams (Safety) is a multiple PBer, FFS.

RippedmyFlesh
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM

Hell, Brian Waters was a 4 time PBer. So much of it is based on popularity that often going one time isn't that much different than going 3-5 times.

A draft with 8 1 time PB would be one of best all time. I'll go out on a limb and say it hasn't happened.

Brock
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
If you had 8 pro bowlers, you probably won the super bowl that year or the year before.

Gonzo
11-19-2009, 10:06 AM

This

Amnorix
11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
If you had 8 pro bowlers, you probably won the super bowl that year or the year before.

You're assuming without anyb asis that they all make the pro bowl in the same year.

Based on the hypothetical, it's equally possible that one guy is a pro bowler in his second year, and blows out his knee in year 3 and is never the same, while a differetn guy is a Tedy Bruschi like pro bowler for the first time in his 10th year or whatever.

Still, 8 1 time pro bowlers is alot better than the other options, IMHO, because that means you've got 8 guys who are above average for their position for probably most of their careers.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I went with 4 2's for exactly the reason that amnorix stated. Without looking at the stats to confirm this, I tend to think that guys who get one pro bowl are generally good players but not dominant, and they just have one outlier year or sneak in when the really good guys are all hurt.

On the other end, one 8-time pro bowler would be nice, a likely hall of famer, but I think 2 4-timers are also obviously dominant players and two of them are more likely to get you to a Super Bowl.

Then I compared 2 4's with 4 2's, and decided that a two-time pro bowler is likely a guy who was relatively dominant at his position for at least a short time and probably good for longer than that. I think that gives me the best chance for a Super Bowl, though the 2 4's is close behind.

But yeah, I'm sure there's never been a draft that produced 8 individual pro bowlers. It was so out there that I almost didn't include it on the poll.

Coogs
11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Interesting dilemma. In the long run, I would rather have 1 8 time pro bowler come out of every single draft. 8 time pro bowlers have the potential to be HOF candidates, and if you can aquire enough of those players on one team, you have the makings of a dynasty. This method may take a couple of more years to get to the contending level, but once there... look-out!

I'll take option 1.

ChiefsCountry
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
If that 8 time pro bowler was a QB, then I would take that without blinking a eye.

Raised On Riots
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
If that 8 time pro bowler was a QB, then I would take that without blinking a eye.

Or an impact player on the scale of DT? One kick ass impact player please.

Amnorix
11-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Or an impact player on the scale of DT? One kick ass impact player please.

The problem is that one kick ass player isn't enough to win a SB. You cite an example yourself...

Coogs
11-19-2009, 01:03 PM

Colts have sort of went this route plus some. Not sure how many pro bowls these fellas have been to, but it seems like most of them. Manning, Harrison, Wayne, Clark, Saturday, Mathis, Sanders, Freeney. The rest of their draft picks have filled roles, and they are serious contenders every year. It took a few years, but once they got there they have been a force.

Raised On Riots
11-19-2009, 01:33 PM
The problem is that one kick ass player isn't enough to win a SB. You cite an example yourself...

Since there's no time frame hypothetical or otherwise in this poll, I'll draft one a year and get the best of both worlds, thank you.:D

Oregon chief
11-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Nice bell curve

CrazyPhuD
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Knowing our luck if we have 4 2 time pro bowlers they would be a pro bowl punter, kicker, ST return man, ST coverage man.

lostcause
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I'll take the probable hall of famer... it at least gives me hope year in and year out.

Mr. Laz
11-19-2009, 03:31 PM
right now we need so much help i would go with 8 one time pro bowlers to get us back in the saddle, so to speak.

we need to break the cycle of losing and make KC more appealing to free agents.