PDA

View Full Version : Life How much have you spent on Jewelry?

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 09:03 AM
I was thinking about the thread GOchiefs started, and It cracked me up that the guy was so disgusted that he wasted $200 whopping dollars on a gorgeous necklace. So my question is, how much have you spent on jewelry, whether it be necklaces, rings, watches, earrings whatever. I've never really spent a ton on jewlery, I bought a $300 dollar ring one time for my mother,it was kind of a keepsake and I was in high school so that was expensive at the time. I've spent a ton of perfume for my currenty girl, but not much jewelry yet, probably something sweet for christmas though. I have a guy in my class who has multiple high dollar watches, like $500-$600 dollar watches. I've never been into jewelry personally and never bought expensive watches or rings or necklaces. Anyone have their arms iced out, or their spouses looking icy?

Another interesting question, anyone ever spend a ton on jewelry for someone they ended up breaking up with? What's the proper etiquette in dealing with that? If you spent a fortune on something, would you or did you ask for it back? I wouldn't, I would probably just cut my losses I guess.

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Very little, it's the biggest fucking waste of money ever.

Pestilence
11-19-2009, 09:07 AM
I spent about $3,000 on the engagement ring for my wife. The actual wedding ring was like $350. She spent $150 on my wedding band.

I've bought her necklaces and earrings for birthdays or the holidays...and they haven't been THAT expensive.

If for some reason we were to divorce.....I'd want the engagement ring back. I don't give a fuck how cheap or selfish that sounds.....but I'd at least want to sell it and get some of my money back.

stlchiefs
11-19-2009, 09:11 AM
If for some reason we were to divorce.....I'd want the engagement ring back. I don't give a **** how cheap or selfish that sounds.....but I'd at least want to sell it and get some of my money back.

Don't count on it. The law is not on your side.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM
My wife's engagement/wedding ring was more than I care to mention. Since we are working on the house, we have decided that gifts like jewelery won't be happening for a while. With that being said, I would pay around $500 or a little more for a birthday/Christmas/anniversary gift.

Pestilence
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Don't count on it. The law is not on your side.

I'm in California....so the law REALLY isn't on my side.

kepp
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
If for some reason we were to divorce.....I'd want the engagement ring back. I don't give a **** how cheap or selfish that sounds.....but I'd at least want to sell it and get some of my money back.

Don't count on it. I'm pretty sure my first wife sold her engagement ring to pay for her lawyer. Over $4K down the drain :cuss:

stlchiefs
11-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm in California....so the law REALLY isn't on my side.

Yeah, that's an entirely different country out there.

chief husker
I was a manager at Zales for seven years. I have not bought jewelry since I left. There is usually a 300% mark up from cost. Watches are your best value with a mere 100% mark up. Your best values are pawn shops and small local jewelers. The chains will have special promotion offers to bring in traffic that can be exceptional deals.

Pestilence
Yeah, that's an entirely different third world country out there.

FYP

Pestilence
11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I was a manager at Zales for seven years. I have not bought jewelry since I left. There is usually a 300% mark up from cost. Watches are your best value with a mere 100% mark up. Your best values are pawn shops and small local jewelers. The chains will have special promotion offers to bring in traffic that can be exceptional deals.

Have you ever given some jewelery to your wife.....and then had to explain to her that you bought it at a pawn shop? It doesn't go well.

Frazod
11-19-2009, 09:19 AM
I hawked my first wedding ring for beer and gas money. Best use I ever got out of the damned thing.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
I'll make an admission here. I don't wear jewelry myself other than a wedding band and a $200 watch. But I really like buying women's jewelry. It's so beautiful and sparkly and stuff. It's irresistible. So my wife tends to get jewelry on a disproportionate basis.

I'm not Larry Johnson, so it's not ultra-high end, but it's nice. Her original wedding set was a smaller grad-student scale, but I upgraded it for Christmas a few years back for an undisclosed amount, and it wasn't cheap at all. Not at all.

For her birthday this year i scored big. I found a jewelry store that was having a closeout on a designer that she likes, and I got an absolutely spectacular necklace for her. It was roughly a $3,500 necklace and I got it for $1,100, and it is a piece of art. It was way out of my normal budget, but I couldn't pass it up. It's a big purple gemstone (tourmaline? can't remember) - really big, like the size of a postage stamp - with small diamonds lining the outside. When she opened it, she said, "Oh, wow," and it turned out that it was upside down in the box so she couldn't see the diamonds, and then she turned it over and said, "OH, WOW".

I love buying jewelry. While the birthday purchase was a bit of an outlier, I regularly spend healthy amounts in the $200 to $700 range for spousal gifts.

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Have you ever given some jewelery to your wife.....and then had to explain to her that you bought it at a pawn shop? It doesn't go well.

Hmmm that's true.

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 09:22 AM
IMO, any woman who would get mad about you not wanting to pay 4x the actual value for something isn't worth marrying.

BY1401
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
I only buy jewelry from Tiffany & Co.

Women seem to like that. :shrug:

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:24 AM

One key to this is to take the ring off of the severed finger before you give it to her.

It seems to me like jewelry would be a perfect pawn shop purchase, though. Gemstones don't exactly wear out or get stained. Other than the prestige thing pestilence mentioned, though, I'd be really wary of it since I know nothing about gem quality and can't tell gems from glass.

Pestilence
11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Have you ever given some jewelry to your wife.....and then had to explain to her that you bought it at a pawn shop? It doesn't go well.

Hmmm that's true.

Take it from experience....

When I was looking to propose to my now wife.....I was looking for all kinds of good deals on jewelry. I found Bidz.com and I ended up getting a 1.5 carat diamond ring for $400. I thought I had bought the warranty as well...but I came to find out that I didn't. Anyways.....2 weeks after I propose to her.....the band gets a cut right down the middle. I take it into a jewelry store to see if they can fix it....and they can't. They said it's to bad to fix. I had to explain to her everything....and now she has a $3000 engagement ring. Don't be dumb like me. Buy it at a jewelry store....and get the warranty.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:29 AM

This

It also helps to have someone on the inside

Gonzo
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Iv'e bought a few things for Lumpy but she's just not into jewlery. I spent $200.00 on her engagement ring. I didn't have to buy her a wedding ring though. She has a 5K ring that was passed down to her from her grandmother.
I own a $50.00 watch and a $300.00 wedding band.
I did buy her a nice PSE compound bow for her b-day a few years ago though.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
[QUOTE=kcchiefsfanGoLJ;6275431]

Take it from experience....

When I was looking to propose to my now wife.....I was looking for all kinds of good deals on jewelry. I found Bidz.com and I ended up getting a 1.5 carat diamond ring for $400. I thought I had bought the warranty as well...but I came to find out that I didn't. Anyways.....2 weeks after I propose to her.....the band gets a cut right down the middle. I take it into a jewelry store to see if they can fix it....and they can't. They said it's to bad to fix. I had to explain to her everything....and now she has a $3000 engagement ring. Don't be dumb like me. Buy it at a jewelry store....and get the warranty.

Ouch.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Iv'e bought a few things for Lumpy but she's just not into jewlery. I spent $200.00 on her engagement ring. I didn't have to buy her a wedding ring though. She has a 5K ring that was passed down to her from her grandmother.

You can't go wrong with a compound bow. It says, "I respect your mad bow skills but recognize that you're feminine and need extra leverage."

Gonzo
11-19-2009, 09:33 AM
You can't go wrong with a compound bow. It says, "I respect your mad bow skills but recognize that you're feminine and need extra leverage."

Yep...

I could've bought her a limited edition model with the gold logo but I though it was overkill.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I do like me some watches.....

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Oh yeah? Well what if I bought my wife, let's say, a nice new air compressor for Christmas, what would that say?

Gonzo
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
beautiful thing about that bow is my boy will be able to use it in about 8 years.

Frazod
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM

My wife is not materialistic at all. She actually picked out an engagement ring that cost far less than I wanted to spend.

Jenson71
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
African children work hard for those diamonds at the expense of their education and then their masters sell them to fund militant insurgencies that end up killing the children one way or another, causing disturbances in the region that impact international relations, and cause the United States to spend billions of dollars in foreign aid, some of which ends up just being funneled back into the hands of opposing militant insurgencies in a regional civil war.

Something to think about.

Great Expectations
I usually don't spend too much on Jewelry but I did buy a nice engagement ring for my wife 7 years ago. Last Christmas I bought her some solitaire diamond earrings for around a grand (I did a lot of shopping to find them that cheap), but that was my first purchase over $200 for her since the ring. We tend to spend our money on vacations over stuff.

She returned the favor of the earrings by buying me a nice watch for my most recent b-day. We won't be buying expensive jewelry for a while now.

Donger
I think I spent $100 on my wife's engagement ring. One carat "diamond." I can still remember all her girlfriends swooning over it and giving me looks of approval (and lust).

Idiots.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM
My wife is not materialistic at all. She actually picked out an engagement ring that cost far less than I wanted to spend.

Thats a winner right there. I dated a few back in the day that would lay out expectations on the engagement/wedding ring. Thats when I said "check please."

Donger
11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
African children work hard for those diamonds at the expense of their education and then their masters sell them to fund militant insurgencies that end up killing the children one way or another, causing disturbances in the region that impact international relations, and cause the United States to spend billions of dollars in foreign aid, some of which ends up just being funneled back into the hands of opposing militant insurgencies in a regional civil war.

I bet that keeps the costs down.

Frazod
11-19-2009, 09:40 AM
I think I spent $100 on my wife's engagement ring. One carat "diamond." I can still remember all her girlfriends swooning over it and giving me looks of approval (and lust).

Idiots.

I assume it hadn't started turning her finger green yet? :D

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah? Well what if I bought my wife, let's say, a nice new air compressor for Christmas, what would that say?

Is it a nice feminine color, like pink or something? That would make a difference.

Donger
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
I assume it hadn't started turning her finger green yet? :D

Heck no. The gold is real.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM

It's that kind of sacrifice that makes them so special. "Honey, 7 children died, 16 people's limbs were amputated with hatchets, 4 people were set on fire, and 33 people were shot in order for me to give this diamond to you."

Frazod
11-19-2009, 09:43 AM
It's that kind of sacrifice that makes them so special. "Honey, 7 children died, 16 people's limbs were amputated with hatchets, 4 people were set on fire, and 33 people were shot in order for me to give this diamond to you."

Nothing says I LOVE YOU like tribal genocide. :bang:

loochy
11-19-2009, 09:47 AM

So where do you suggest we get diamonds from then oh great socially concious one?

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:49 AM
You can ask the store if they are "conflict free" diamonds.

Jenson71
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM
So where do you suggest we get diamonds from then oh great socially concious one?

You have to go to Africa and get them yourself. Now doesn't that show dedication and determination?

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:50 AM

I assumed he was promoting blood diamonds as a means of preventing overpopulation in poor countries.

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 09:51 AM
You can ask the store if they are "conflict free" diamonds.
And I'm sure you'll get a truthful answer. :rolleyes:

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:52 AM
And I'm sure you'll get a truthful answer. :rolleyes:

Hey, at least you asked

eazyb81
11-19-2009, 09:53 AM
$500-600 watches are not "high dollar". That doesn't even get you into Omega, Baume & Mercier category, let alone Rolex or Patek Phillipe.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
$500-600 watches are not "high dollar". That doesn't even get you into Omega, Baume & Mercier category, let alone Rolex or Patek Phillipe.

You can't even get a refurbed Rolex for less than $2500

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:55 AM
You have to go to Africa and get them yourself. Now doesn't that show dedication and determination?

I can't remember if I posted about it, but the National Geographic or Smithsonian last month had an incredible article about a shipwreck on the coast of Namibia. The article was about a 16th-century Portugese ship, but the most fascinating part was where the wreck was found. It ended up on this coast where a river tumbles diamonds down from the interior of Africa. They then go out into the ocean and get tossed back up on the beach, and apparently they're high-grade jewelry diamonds, not industrial diamonds. The first guy to discover it made a bet with another member on his expedition about how long it would take to fill a cup with diamonds, and it took him ten minutes.

DeBeers somehow has ended up with control of this beach, and they guard it like a hawk. When the scientists came to work on the shipwreck, part of the deal is that DeBeers has cameras on them at all times so they don't walk around and pocket a bunch of diamonds.

DeBeers fascinates me. I bet they run all those secret Masonic societies and Skull & Crossbones groups.

wildcat09
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Try these on for size

http://stylecrave.com/2009-05-29/luxury-watches-10-of-the-worlds-most-expensive-watches/

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Here's the story on that shipwreck. I am hopelessly enthralled by stories of lost treasures: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/10/shipwreck/smith-text/1

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:01 AM
ya' see that's not really any of your business, kcchiefsfanGoLJ. But I can assure you, it wasn't cheap.

seclark
11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
outside of her engagement ring, i've only bought her jewelry 2 times. the first was a mothers ring from zales. the daughter-in-law was working there at the time. i sent her $300 and told her to pick one out and wrap it up for me to give her. the second time WAS from a pawn shop. i knew the young lady that worked there. i gave her $200 and told her to pick something out and wrap it up to give her. got a diamond necklace and a pair of diamond ear rings. yes, i told the wife they came from a pawn shop. she wears them all the time.

mostly, if she wants jewelry, she can pick it out herself. i don't mind paying, but it pisses me off to pick something out and she doesn't like it.
sec

KCUnited
11-19-2009, 10:07 AM
I set the jewelry/romance expectation extremely low from the get and go from there. That way when I show up with some engraved brass knuckles fitted for a woman it blows her away.

beach tribe
11-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Try these on for size

http://stylecrave.com/2009-05-29/luxury-watches-10-of-the-worlds-most-expensive-watches/

Other than the ones with the actual precious gems that are worth a lot of money, I think it is just ridiculous for someone to pay that much for a watch. I don't care how much money you have, you should be slapped.
There is no level of craftsmanship that could justify those kinds of prices.

Pestilence
11-19-2009, 10:09 AM
I wear a $65 dollar Fossil watch....and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Lumpy
11-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Iv'e bought a few things for Lumpy but she's just not into jewlery...

U forgot to mention the promise ring... ya know, the one u got for me playing the claw machine. LMAO

seclark
11-19-2009, 10:11 AM
I set the jewelry/romance expectation extremely low from the get and go from there. That way when I show up with some engraved brass knuckles fitted for a woman it blows her away.

unless it's fitness related(she's a exercise nut), i usually just give her money and tell her to pick it out.
sec

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2009, 10:12 AM
I wear a $200 Tungsten Carbide wedding band, and an $80 Fossil watch.

I almost recently pulled the trigger on a Tag Heuer, but decided against it.

beach tribe
Here's the story on that shipwreck. I am hopelessly enthralled by stories of lost treasures: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/10/shipwreck/smith-text/1

Cool.

Donger
I gave my wife the option: do you want a real diamond or a down payment on our first house. The scary part was she said, "Let me think about it" and walked away.

beach tribe
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
I've had a $90 Seiko for about 11yrs. When it breaks, I'll get something else. I've always wanted a tag.

Great Expectations
11-19-2009, 10:16 AM

Do you consider a Tag nice?

Great Expectations
11-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I almost recently pulled the trigger on a Tag Heuer, but decided against it.

Bad decision.

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I don't wear a watch or any other jewelry. I wonder if I'm in the minority among males.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:20 AM

Tag = Movado tier (maybe just above Movado)

best of the worst, worst of the best.

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't wear a watch or any other jewelry. I wonder if I'm in the minority among males.
I wear neither.

Gonzo
11-19-2009, 10:25 AM
U forgot to mention the promise ring... ya know, the one u got for me playing the claw machine. LMAO

Hey now....

seclark
11-19-2009, 10:26 AM

wedding ring...but only to keep the chicks from hitting on me all the time.
sec

Frazod
11-19-2009, 10:27 AM

I thought DaFace said we couldn't have Tags?

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
sec

Sh*t. I completely forgot about that. I do wear my wedding ring, but that really isn't of my own volition.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:28 AM
sec

Yeah, that works really great for me, too.

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Welcome to 5 years ago and the premis behind Blood Diamond the movie, but point well taken. Proper etiquette dictates that we should ask for a conflict free diamond.

Frazod
11-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Other than my wedding band and watch ($80 Relic) I wear a ring I got in the Black Hills years ago, mainly because I love the Black Hills so much.

OnTheWarpath58
11-19-2009, 10:30 AM

I respectfully disagree.

I wouldn't have a problem spending $1000 on a Tag Heuer.

I'm not sure I'd spend $200 on a Movado.

No offense to those of you that own a Movado.

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:31 AM
I respectfully disagree.

Yeah, well, I know the country of origin of every timepiece in the world. Do you?

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 10:34 AM

I should clarify that the $500-$600 for a watch is expensive IMO. Honestly I've never even heard of any of those watch names besides Omega and Rolex. I assume you're into the finer watches? What kind of coin can you drop on a fancier watch?

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Yeah, well, I know the country of origin of every timepiece in the world. Do you?

Okay, tell me the origin of this sundial.

http://z.about.com/d/paganwiccan/1/0/L/A/-/-/Sundial.jpg

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I should clarify that the $500-$600 for a watch is expensive IMO. Honestly I've never even heard of any of those watch names besides Omega and Rolex. I assume you're into the finer watches? What kind of coin can you drop on a fancier watch?

Larry Johnson has a $200,000 watch. Anyone remember the brand?

stlchiefs
11-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Someone saw Blood Diamond.

Great Expectations
11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
You can get Movado's for $300-$1500. A low end Tag is going to cost about $2,000. You also aren't going to find a Tag at a Macy's.

I've always thought of Tags on par with Rolex, it is just that Tags aren't overly gaudy.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I respectfully disagree.

considering price range and reputation, they're about on the same tier. Now personal preference, well, that's another story, and they do offer a 1k Movado (I don't think that you were saying differently, but wanted to add that) :)

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM

I don't wear jewelry, just a couple rubber bands. I wear my watch on nights out and to church though.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:42 AM
You can get Movado's for $300-$1500. A low end Tag is going to cost about $2,000. You also aren't going to find a Tag at a Macy's.

th^t post is almost entirely inaccurate, excluding the price range you'd listed on the Movado's. I've seen Tags for under 600.00 AT Macy's. LOL

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM

United States. Pickerington, Ohio to be precise.

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:43 AM
LMAO

Watch fight!

Jilly
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I have my old wedding/engagement ring in my jewelry box and have no idea what to do with it......I feel weird pawning it, I feel weird giving it back, and I feel weird keeping it.....

That being said, Sully has bought me one necklace and my wedding/engagement ring. I love them both. He has gotten me like costume jewelry and stuff cuz I wear a lot of necklaces, but I also tend to lose things, plus, I could care less what things cost. Here's my favorite gifts he's ever gotten me - clothes....and my ipod, oh and my dog. The clothes because he's picked them out himself and it makes me happy to wear something he thinks I'll look good in.

Bugeater
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Your back yard?

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Ok, none ANYMORE for as cheap as I've seen 'live,'

but ->

http://tinyurl.com/yl93z3l

El Jefe
11-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Welcome to 5 years ago and the premis behind Blood Diamond the movie, but point well taken. Proper etiquette dictates that we should ask for a conflict free diamond.

REPOST...:)

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM
LMAO

Watch fight!

ROFL

not at all.

Donger
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5MF6AtI2dpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5MF6AtI2dpA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jenson71
11-19-2009, 10:50 AM

Nope, I haven't seen it. I don't like that Leo guy. But I might watch it one of these days.

eazyb81
11-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Yes, and I own a Link. They're not super premium, but definitely nice.

eazyb81
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
I respectfully disagree.

This. Tag is definitely above Movado.

eazyb81
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM

My uncle is a watch guy and dropped around $30k on a Patek Phillipe. He's a surgeon so he has some discretionary income, but it's still nuts to me even though he got me into nice watches.

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Is this a joke?

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Patek-Philippe-Sky-Moon-Tourbillon-5002P-1502.html

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
This. Tag is definitely above Movado.

no shit, they range higher than a Movado, price-wise, but they're nothing more than a wannabe Rado. Sorry. It is what it is...

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
United States. Pickerington, Ohio to be precise.

I have no way to disprove that, and you seem so confident that you must be correct. That's amazing!

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
OK, look at it this way, the best Tag is about the same as a middle tiered BREITLING. The best Movado is about the same as a middle tiered Tag.

That's the easiest way to discern the two...

angelo
11-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Very little, it's the biggest ****ing waste of money ever.

I would Disagree. If purchased properly you can use jewelry as an investment.

I have a connection that will allow me to design my own pieces. The most I have paid was roughly $5000 for a necklace about 6 years ago (it recently appraise for $9000). I will also buy loose gemstone when I can.

I will buy my wife complete collections (necklace, ring, earrings, bracelet) in diamonds, pearls, rubies etc.

I am a watch fanatic and would not hesitate to drop $5000 for a watch.

Ang

seclark
11-19-2009, 11:34 AM
i'm going to get a timex when i retire, so i've got that going for me.
sec

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
OK, look at it this way, the best Tag is about the same as a middle tiered BREITLING. The best Movado is about the same as a middle tiered Tag.

How do you make that determination? The accuracy of the time that it keeps?

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Is this a joke?

http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Patek-Philippe-Sky-Moon-Tourbillon-5002P-1502.html

Must be. It's a manual wind. For that price, it should come with a servant who occasionally shakes your arm.

So does no one remember the brand of Larry Johnson's watch? I'm curious.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 11:44 AM
How do you make that determination? The accuracy of the time that it keeps?

well yeah, i guess.

It's just sort of the market accompanied w/ price range. There are a lot of watch snobs out there. It's silly, really. Automatic movement is another factor as well...

2bikemike
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I have my old wedding/engagement ring in my jewelry box and have no idea what to do with it......I feel weird pawning it, I feel weird giving it back, and I feel weird keeping it.....

Don't know anything about your old Wedding/engagement ring but if it has some nice stones in them you could have them removed and turn it into a piece of jewelry you won't feel weird using. Maybe a necklace or earrings?

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
well yeah, i guess.

It's just sort of the market accompanied w/ price range. There are a lot of watch snobs out there. It's silly, really. Automatic movement is another factor as well...

Aren't all watches "automatic movement"? I would think that a watch that you have to move the hands manually wouldn't keep very good time.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Aren't all watches "automatic movement"? I would think that a watch that you have to move the hands manually wouldn't keep very good time.

A self-winding or automatic mechanism is one that rewinds the mainspring of a mechanical movement by the natural motions of the wearer's body. The first self-winding mechanism, for pocketwatches, was invented in 1770 by Abraham-Louis Perrelet;[5] but the first "self-winding," or "automatic," wristwatch was the invention of a British watch repairer named John Harwood in 1923. This type of watch allows for a constant winding without special action from the wearer: it works by an eccentric weight, called a winding rotor, which rotates with the movement of the wearer's wrist. The back-and-forth motion of the winding rotor couples to a ratchet to automatically wind the mainspring. Self winding watches usually can also be wound manually so they can be kept running when not worn, or if the wearer's wrist motions don't keep the watch wound.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
During the Great Depression, the richest people still did pretty well. I remember reading once about a party held by a socialite where all of the guests had dinner and were then served up a dish filled with sand and containing a tiny shovel. They then used the shovel to dig through the sand and find buried gemstones.

It's actually a really cool party idea if one can afford it.

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
A self-winding or automatic mechanism is one that rewinds the mainspring of a mechanical movement by the natural motions of the wearer's body. The first self-winding mechanism, for pocketwatches, was invented in 1770 by Abraham-Louis Perrelet;[5] but the first "self-winding," or "automatic," wristwatch was the invention of a British watch repairer named John Harwood in 1923. This type of watch allows for a constant winding without special action from the wearer: it works by an eccentric weight, called a winding rotor, which rotates with the movement of the wearer's wrist. The back-and-forth motion of the winding rotor couples to a ratchet to automatically wind the mainspring. Self winding watches usually can also be wound manually so they can be kept running when not worn, or if the wearer's wrist motions don't keep the watch wound.

Oh that. My Dad's Rolex has that, I think. Gay guys must keep the best time.

Simply Red
11-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh that. My Dad's Rolex has that, I think. Gay guys must keep the best time.

ROFL

you fool. ROFL

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
ROFL

you fool. ROFL

No, I'm serious. His Rolex does have that feature.

I'm going to get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009J5O6W/ref=asc_df_B0009J5O6W967041?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0009J5O6W

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 11:53 AM
I was wrong on Larry's watch price. It was $300,000 according to Larry.

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20080131/86152.jpg

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/133187/

Larry Johnson Encourages Me to Deal Crack
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Posted By Chris Littmann 6:47 PM

The day is winding down, but we happened upon Larry Johnson talking to the Sporting News Radio guys. Nothing particularly interesting about that, but then I noticed L.J.'s watch (in case you haven't figure it out, I have a mild obsession with time pieces):

I had to ask him about it (that handkerchief isn't bad either). What ensued made me think L.J. is the coolest NFLer not named Clinton Portis. Actual exchange (seriously, I didn't make this up. I swear):

ME: Seriously, man, how much was that watch?
LJ: About 300?
ME: Dollars?
LJ: Thousand. They only made three of them in the world.
ME: $300,000? Id have to spend 10 years worth of pay to buy that.
LJ: Or you could deal crack and get it in three weeks.

And with that, I'd like to submit my formal resignation. I have rocks to slang.

2bikemike
11-19-2009, 11:54 AM
I would Disagree. If purchased properly you can use jewelry as an investment.

I I will also buy loose gemstone when I can.

I will buy my wife complete collections (necklace, ring, earrings, bracelet) in diamonds, pearls, rubies etc.

Ang

I agree with this. All of my wifes good jewelry first started out as loose gem stones. I have a connection with an outstanding master diamond cutter. When we are shopping he hooks us up.

My wife only has a few very nice pieces the rest is costume jewelry. Myself I don't even wear a watch.

Simply Red
No, I'm serious. His Rolex does have that feature.

I'm going to get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009J5O6W/ref=asc_df_B0009J5O6W967041?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0009J5O6W

I actually like that. BTW, you should call your father and ask him about the history of his Rolex. ROFL:D

Donger
I actually like that. BTW, you should call your father and ask him about the history of his Rolex. ROFL:D

I'm well aware of the history of his Rolex. I found it and he cheated me out of it.

Donger
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I was wrong on Larry's watch price. It was $300,000 according to Larry.

http://i.tsn.com/i/photos/20080131/86152.jpg

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/TheSportingBlog/133187/

Larry Johnson Encourages Me to Deal Crack
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Posted By Chris Littmann 6:47 PM

The day is winding down, but we happened upon Larry Johnson talking to the Sporting News Radio guys. Nothing particularly interesting about that, but then I noticed L.J.'s watch (in case you haven't figure it out, I have a mild obsession with time pieces):

I had to ask him about it (that handkerchief isn't bad either). What ensued made me think L.J. is the coolest NFLer not named Clinton Portis. Actual exchange (seriously, I didn't make this up. I swear):

ME: Seriously, man, how much was that watch?
LJ: About 300?
ME: Dollars?
LJ: Thousand. They only made three of them in the world.
ME: $300,000? Id have to spend 10 years worth of pay to buy that.
LJ: Or you could deal crack and get it in three weeks.

And with that, I'd like to submit my formal resignation. I have rocks to slang.

Silly man. I bet that watch would be about $59.99 without all the blood diamonds attached to it.

Norman Einstein
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
I spent $96 on our wedding bands. I bought the wife some pearls but I don't think they were real as far as natural pearls, they were cultured and not as expensive as some I've seen. Spent less than $100 for them. Not much else, I don't even wear the wedding band anymore, when I worked it was a safety issue, now it just lives in the jewelry box alone.

Jilly
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Don't know anything about your old Wedding/engagement ring but if it has some nice stones in them you could have them removed and turn it into a piece of jewelry you won't feel weird using. Maybe a necklace or earrings?

I've thought about that, but then wondered if that would make Sully feel weird knowing I was wearing my ex's original gift?

Great Expectations
11-19-2009, 12:10 PM
OK, look at it this way, the best Tag is about the same as a middle tiered BREITLING. The best Movado is about the same as a low end Tag.

FYP

Param
11-19-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm kinda in the same boat. I do not wear watches, bracelets, and rings.

Iowanian
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
The past couple of weeks, I've had a new favorite saying.

The Commercial says "every kiss begins with Kay" but I think more of them begin with Busch Light.

MOhillbilly
11-19-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat. I do not wear watches, bracelets, and rings.

Im the same, feels to much like handcuffs. Hell i didnt even carry a wallet till about 3 years ago. Moneyclip,.32 auto, and blade was how i rolled from 19-32.

Iowanian
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
If I ever steal Rainman's bike again, Its only because I needed the baskets and saddle bags to carry all of the jewelry to the pawn shop.

Fish
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM

Wait... how do you adjust it for Daylight Savings Time?

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Im the same, feels to much like handcuffs. Hell i didnt even carry a wallet till about 3 years ago. Moneyclip,.32 auto, and blade was how i rolled from 19-32.

Truthfully, I think that bandoliers should count as jewelry.

BY1401
11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Wait... how do you adjust it for Daylight Savings Time?

You add a stone in the spring and take one away in the fall.

Duh.

angelo
11-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I am a big fan of Hamilton watches.
I also have this Baume and Mercier

Ang

CoMoChief
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
You add a stone in the spring and take one away in the fall.

Duh.

ROFL

MOhillbilly
11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Truthfully, I think that bandoliers should count as jewelry.
lol.
you really are a funny guy!
http://www.16-9.dk/2007-02/side12/goodfellas.jpg

Katipan
11-19-2009, 03:36 PM
IMO, any woman who would get mad about you not wanting to pay 4x the actual value for something isn't worth marrying.

No kidding.

We bought my solitaire at a pawn shop and then had it mounted into a new ring. I got a waaaay larger diamond than we could have afforded at the time and it looks great on my right hand now.

Katipan
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
What's the proper etiquette in dealing with that? If you spent a fortune on something, would you or did you ask for it back? I wouldn't, I would probably just cut my losses I guess.

heheheh My Psycho wanted it all back. He was like a repo man.

Left almost all of it in a nice little pile for him. I got what I wanted.

El Jefe
11-20-2009, 07:46 AM
I've thought about that, but then wondered if that would make Sully feel weird knowing I was wearing my ex's original gift?

I wouldn't like that, but that's just me.

El Jefe
11-20-2009, 07:50 AM
heheheh My Psycho wanted it all back. He was like a repo man.
Left almost all of it in a nice little pile for him. I got what I wanted.

Classless, some pieces I could understand, but most gifts are exactly what they are and that's "gifts".

joesomebody
11-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I have a couple watches. Both cheap by most standards. One I bought in Switzerland about 11 years ago for around $140, and I rather like it. The other is a stainless steel fossil watch my mom gave me for High School graduation.

I don't wear a watch or any jewelry. I tried to wear a watch for awhile, I just don't like the feel of something on my wrist.

The Mizzou Gymnastics team gave me a "We are Mizzou" live strong style bracelet on Veteran's day, and I tried to wear it for awhile but it was the same thing. Just don't like the feel of it. I suppose some day I'll have to get used to a ring, but other than that I just don't think it's my style.

cdcox
11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I used to wear a watch and wedding band. One day the battery died on my watch and I haven't bothered to get a replacement. I use my laptop to tell time, since I don't carry a cell phone.

I had minor surgery on Tuesday and had to take off my wedding ring for the first time in years. I haven't put it back on yet. The only time I think of it is when I'm trying to figure out which hand is which and I feel for the wedding band to see if it is my left hand.

For the wife I bought her a cheap solitaire when we were married. She lost the stone a few years ago and freaked out. She immediately went out and picked out a new wedding band that she had to have immediately. I bought it for her, but had no say in the matter. It was around $600, which seemed pretty reasonable. I also bought her some small diamond studs a few years ago, around the same price. I'd like to buy her some more nice stuff, but it's not a priority and my tastes are much larger than my budget.