PDA

View Full Version : Religion Fox News exposed using the wrong footage -- again.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Since I know this will get flipped back to MSNBC, I'll open by saying tha this is why I'd say Fox is even worse than MSNBC in its partisan fervor. I don't know of too many things that MSNBC has ever done that are as egregious as this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts988

Fox News again accused of airing misleading video
11 mins ago

For the second time in just over a week, Fox News is coming under fire for misusing old news footage. The latest flap is leading some people to charge that the cable news network is intentionally misleading its audience, while Fox claims a "production error."

Wednesday's incident occurred when Fox News host Gregg Jarrett mentioned that a Sarah Palin appearance and book signing in Grand Rapids, Michigan had a massive turnout. As footage rolled of a smiling and waving Palin amidst a throng of fans, Jarrett noted that the former Republican vice-presidential candidate is "continuing to draw huge crowds while she's promoting her brand-new book,'' adding that the images being shown were "some of the pictures just coming in to us.... The lines earlier had formed this morning."

However, the video used in the segment was from a 2008 McCain/Palin campaign rally. In response to the minor uproar that arose after clips of Jarrett's report hit the Internet, Fox senior vice-president of news Michael Clemente issued an initial statement saying, "This was a production error in which the copy editor changed a script and didn't alert the control room to update the video."

On Thursday afternoon, Fox News issued an on-air apology delivered by host Jane Skinner:

Yesterday we told you about Sarah Palin kicking off her book tour and then we spoke to Sean Hannity about an interview that he did with former Governor Palin. When introducing the segment we showed you footage of people lining up in Michigan for a book signing that evening. In the tease before the segment, the tease to commercial, we told you how those people were already lining up to meet Palin. The problem is we didn't show you the video we were actually referencing. Instead we mistakenly aired what's called "file tape" of Sarah Palin. We didn't mean to mislead anybody in that tease. It was a mistake, and for that we apologize.

The current mishap comes on the heels of a controversy sparked last week when footage from a conservative rally held over the summer was played on "Hannity" during a segment on a more recent rally. During the clip, host Sean Hannity marveled over the large turnout for a Washington, DC protest. The Daily Show later pointed out that there seemed to be some inconsistencies with the video shown on Hannity's show, namely that the atmospheric conditions seemed to vary from shot to shot. Hannity later apologized on the air for what he called "an inadvertent mistake."

Barely a week into Palin’s blitz to promote “Going Rogue,” media coverage is becoming its own story. Fox News rival MSNBC caught heat last week for using altered images of Sarah Palin on the air, for which they later apologized. On Wednesday, Yahoo! News reported Newsweek’s defense of their latest controversial cover, which Palin herself blasted as “sexist.”

-- Brett Michael Dykes is a contributor to the Yahoo! News Blog

BigChiefFan
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Faux News.

L.A. Chieffan
11-19-2009, 02:48 PM
theyre all tabloid journalism at this point

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:49 PM
For the record, the Daily Show caught Hannity's stunt a week ago. Think Progress caught this one.

Donger
11-19-2009, 02:50 PM
So you are suggesting the error was deliberate?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
So you are suggesting the error was deliberate?

I think it can be safely assumed that I am suggesting that.

I was waiting for you to reply. Somehow I just knew you'd jump in trying to introduce plausible deniability.

Donger
11-19-2009, 02:54 PM
I think it can be safely assumed that I am suggesting that.

I was waiting for you to reply. Somehow I just knew you'd jump in trying to introduce plausible deniability.

Well, I don't expect any 24/7 news outfit to be infallible.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, I don't expect any 24/7 news outfit to be infallible.

I don't either.

I do expect them not to lie to me.

alpha_omega
11-19-2009, 02:57 PM

I would say your expectations are unreasonable.

Donger
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't either.

Good, because it isn't clear that they were lying at all.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I would say your expectations are unreasonable.

So this bullshit of stealing and then completely misrepresenting footage is something I should just live with, rather than something I should actively condemn?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Good, because it isn't clear that they were lying at all.

Hard to say I'm surprised. What, pray tell, would you need to see?

A newly discovered pattern of pulling the EXACT SAME TRICK?

God knows how long they've been doing it.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:00 PM
So this bullshit of stealing and then completely misrepresenting footage is something I should just live with, rather than something I should actively condemn?

Stealing?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Stealing?

From an unrelated event.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Hard to say I'm surprised. What, pray tell, would you need to see?

A newly discovered pattern of pulling the EXACT SAME TRICK?

God knows how long they've been doing it.

Perhaps they are just prone to making mistakes? That should make you happy.

Question: has Fox ever made an error than you would classify as not being a good thing for the GOP? That is your charge, right? That Fox intentionally makes these errors in order to help the GOP?

mikey23545
11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
This is it? Your big Expose? They used the wrong crowd shot?

LMAO

Wow, that's right up there with Dan Rather using forged documents to defame GWB during an election campaign...

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:03 PM
From an unrelated event.

Huh?

Reaper16
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I can see this being an actual, honest mistake. I'd like to see the clip to see how the file footage was being used.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Perhaps they are just prone to making mistakes? That should make you happy.

Question: has Fox ever made an error than you would classify as not being a good thing for the GOP? That is your charge, right? That Fox intentionally makes these errors in order to help the GOP?

I honestly have never seen Fox crop information, or doctor photos, or misrepresent footage, or engage in such petty tricks in a way that would disparage Republicans (with minor exceptions -- it disparaged Ron Paul and at times John McCain during the primaries, but even then this was to help their preferred Republican candidates).

It's possible that Fox makes mistakes more than other news organizations, yes. But what are we talking about here?

How about misbranding Republicans who are embroiled in ethics scandals with a "(D)"? That's a mistake Fox makes.

How about misbranding Democrats who are embroiled in ethics scandals with an "(R)"? That is a mistake Fox has never made.

So at a certain point, yes, you must ask if the altered reality you're seeing is intentional.

I think it clearly, clearly is.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:08 PM
This is going to make Direckshun blow a gasket. Fox News is really into c*ck!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KKXektRX3Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4KKXektRX3Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I can see this being an actual, honest mistake. I'd like to see the clip to see how the file footage was being used.

I have not visited the site, but I am almost certain Media Matters would have the footage.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:16 PM
How about misbranding Democrats who are embroiled in ethics scandals with an "(R)"? That is a mistake Fox has never made.

How do you know that?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:18 PM
How do you know that?

Because I have never seen it happen, and have never seen it reported from anybody anywhere that Fox has ever done that.

redsurfer11
11-19-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't either.

Like all your favorite channels, showing a man with a gun slung over his back. Then calling all white Teabaggers racist. It was a guy wearing Blackface wasn't it? You don't even watch Fox News. You puny little Commie.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Because I have never seen it happen, and have never seen it reported from anybody anywhere that Fox has ever done that.

Have you considered that perhaps why you haven't heard about it is because we conservatives wouldn't get all silly and start hyperventilating if it did?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Like all your favorite channels, showing a man with a gun slung over his back. Then calling all white Teabaggers racist. It was a guy wearing Blackface wasn't it? You don't even watch Fox News. You puny little Commie.

I don't even know what you are saying.

Pitt Gorilla
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Have you considered that perhaps why you haven't heard about it is because we conservatives wouldn't get all silly and start hyperventilating if it did?You're right in that I can't imagine any respectable conservative perpetually complaining about what they perceive as unfair treatment in the media; they definitely aren't that silly and hyper-sensitive.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Have you considered that perhaps why you haven't heard about it is because we conservatives wouldn't get all silly and start hyperventilating if it did?

Because, by your logic, conservatives would be the only people on the planet who would report this information.

HerculesRockefell
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
So, how big was the actual crowd that turned out to see her?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
You're right in that I can't imagine any respectable conservative perpetually complaining about what they perceive as unfair treatment in the media; they definitely aren't that silly and hyper-sensitive.

Yeah, I honestly don't even think conservatives are all that concerned about bias in the media.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Because, by your logic, conservatives would be the only people on the planet who would report this information.

I report, you decide.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I report, you decide.

Holy shit, GREAT catch. L O L

Great news organization, or greatest news organization?

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Holy shit, GREAT catch. L O L

Great news organization, or greatest news organization?

Well, perhaps you should look before making such claims? It didn't take more than a few minutes of looking to scuttle your claim.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, perhaps you should look before making such claims? It didn't take more than a few minutes of looking to scuttle your claim.

Irony of ironies.

Donger
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Irony of ironies.

Pardon?

LOCOChief
11-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Fox is far better than any other US news source. Hell Beck is the only one out there calling a spade a spade and frankly I think it's funny that so many libtards fear the truth,
Keep that head in the sand.

mikey23545
11-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I honestly don't even think conservatives are all that concerned about bias in the media.

Yeah, and we really don't need to be since the mainstream media is overwhelmingly conservative.

But if there was just one, JUST ONE, liberal network out of all the news outlets available, that one network would preoccupy me to no end...Even though the rest of the mainstream was extremely conservative, that one liberal network would dominate my every thought.

I probably wouldn't be able to quit posting about it.

Donger
11-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Yeah, and we really don't need to be since the mainstream media is overwhelmingly conservative.

But if there was just one, JUST ONE, liberal network out of all the news outlets available, that one network would preoccupy me to no end...Even though the rest of the mainstream was extremely conservative, that one liberal network would dominate my every thought.

LMAO

HonestChieffan
11-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Not reading the entire thread so if this is a repeat sorry....

Question is if this level of outrage is expressed over a TV error, do those so outraged feel the same level of same for every Newspaper correction and retraction that gets run?

Guru
11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
It is wrong but not nearly as bad as whatever network it was that said it was a white guy brandishing a military firearm at a rally when it turned out to be a black man doing it. Done with creative editing.

jjjayb
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
It is wrong but not nearly as bad as whatever network it was that said it was a white guy brandishing a military firearm at a rally when it turned out to be a black man doing it. Done with creative editing.

You mean this one:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYKQJ4-N7LI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYKQJ4-N7LI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I love how they go on to talk about Racism after showing that clip. I also love how the video was edited so that they always cut away when it's about to pan up and show the man with the gun is black.

Here's the rest of the man with the gun that MSNBC diliberately hid from you:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7syx26QtQIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7syx26QtQIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Norman Einstein
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't either.

Just Fox, or do you hold all news outlets to the same standard?

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Fox is far better than any other US news source. Hell Beck is the only one out there calling a spade a spade and frankly I think it's funny that so many libtards fear the truth,
Keep that head in the sand.

Irony of ironies, volume 2.

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 07:13 PM

i.e. "Quit talking about Fox."

Direckshun
11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
Question is if this level of outrage is expressed over a TV error, do those so outraged feel the same level of same for every Newspaper correction and retraction that gets run?

It's not an error.

Bwana
11-19-2009, 07:15 PM

LMAO

Wow, that's right up there with Dan Rather using forged documents to defame GWB during an election campaign...

No shit, fucking moonbat.

Norman Einstein
11-19-2009, 07:18 PM
It's not an error.

That's not factual. At worst it's your word against theirs.

|Zach|
11-19-2009, 07:38 PM

LMAO

Big expose?

Guru
11-19-2009, 10:26 PM
You mean this one:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYKQJ4-N7LI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

I love how they go on to talk about Racism after showing that clip. I also love how the video was edited so that they always cut away when it's about to pan up and show the man with the gun is black.

Here's the rest of the man with the gun that MSNBC diliberately hid from you:

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7syx26QtQIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>Yep, thats the one. I would be willing to bet that news agencies have been doing what the OP states for decades. What MSNBC did with that guy though was complete BS. Yet they got away with it and NEVER apologized for it as far as I know.

BCD
11-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I dont watch any of them anymore. They all eat cock.

Rausch
11-20-2009, 03:06 AM
Hey, I prefer Fox News, but they fucked up.

At least twice.

I agree it's bull$#it....

kcfanXIII
11-20-2009, 03:56 AM
any of the corporate media news outlets are going to spin to one side or the other. none will give you the truth, cause its usually somewhere in the middle.

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 04:56 AM
I dont watch any of them anymore. They all eat cock.

So you get all of your news here? Now that's scary.

BigRedChief
11-20-2009, 06:37 AM
It's not an error.no chit, this isn't an "error". Just like Hannity's splicing together two different rallies was "inadvertant". BS. You meant to splice those two rallies together. You just didn't load the wrong footage, thats an error. Splicing two different rallies together and trying to seel them as one rally is pre-mediatation.

Iowanian
11-20-2009, 06:39 AM
OH NO!

They're probably at risk of being shunned by the great changer with his new transparency policy!

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
no chit, this isn't an "error". Just like Hannity's splicing together two different rallies was "inadvertant". BS. You meant to splice those two rallies together. You just didn't load the wrong footage, thats an error. Splicing two different rallies together and trying to seel them as one rally is pre-mediatation.

I'm sure that Hannity was on the forefront getting those video feeds tied together.

Why are you going off with so much venom when it's obvious that all news organizations do the very same thing?

I've seen live interviews with sports figures in KC and when the piece was aired on the local sports show it was so chopped up it made the guy sound like he couldn't hold a coherent conversation with the interviewer.

Also, the questions asked at the taping were not the same questions that were posed when it aired.

If it happens with things as non-essential as sports how many more times to you think shit like this happens?

ROYC75
11-20-2009, 08:12 AM

They did come out and admit the mistake. Not like during the campaign the left continued to smear the right with wrong info night after night.

I see no problem with any news agency admitting they made a mistake, even the left, when they do, of which is far and few in between.

BigRedChief
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm sure that Hannity was on the forefront getting those video feeds tied together.

Why are you going off with so much venom when it's obvious that all news organizations do the very same thing?

I've seen live interviews with sports figures in KC and when the piece was aired on the local sports show it was so chopped up it made the guy sound like he couldn't hold a coherent conversation with the interviewer.

Also, the questions asked at the taping were not the same questions that were posed when it aired.

If it happens with things as non-essential as sports how many more times to you think shit like this happens?
Why are you bringing up sports? Sports = entertainment. Totally different.

Venom? you think thats me going off? You are quite mistaken.

I'm sure it wasn't Hannity in the video editing room splicing film together. But it's his show, he created the enviornment in which the slanted news gets onto his show. It's his show. He gets the blame.

The recovery.gov website has all kinds of BS on its site. You think Obama entered in all that wrong information himself? He is sure getting blamed for it though.

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Why are you bringing up sports? Sports = entertainment. Totally different.

Venom? you think thats me going off? You are quite mistaken.

I'm sure it wasn't Hannity in the video editing room splicing film together. But it's his show, he created the enviornment in which the slanted news gets onto his show. It's his show. He gets the blame.

The recovery.gov website has all kinds of BS on its site. You think Obama entered in all that wrong information himself? He is sure getting blamed for it though.

Reporting, whether sports or politics or any story, are all recorded the same way and the questions are often asked in a different context relating to the original question.

Hannity didn't edit the films, Obama couldn't have written any of that stuff. He hasn't written anything in over 15 years, his staff writes his shit under his direction. In essence Obama had everything on your website reference ghost written. You know, like his books, his speeches and most likely the paperwork needed to finish the job when he takes a shit.

Reaper16
11-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Hannity didn't edit the films, Obama couldn't have written any of that stuff. He hasn't written anything in over 15 years, his staff writes his shit under his direction. In essence Obama had everything on your website reference ghost written. You know, like his books, his speeches and most likely the paperwork needed to finish the job when he takes a shit.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/2vjso51jpg.gif

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/Thereaper16/2vjso51jpg.gif

The truth hurts eh?

Reaper16
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
The truth hurts eh?
I wouldn't know. You haven't given me any.

Direckshun
11-20-2009, 01:03 PM

Here's Tom.

And here's reality.

Direckshun
11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Internal names for Obama jpgs on Fox's website:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e20120a6bc2ee0970b-500wi

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Here's nothing.

FYP

Direckshun
11-20-2009, 01:27 PM
FYP

o i see wat u did

Bwana
11-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Direckshun: Serious question: How many sets of knee pads do you go through a week?

KCWolfman
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Direckshun: Serious question: How many sets of knee pads do you go through a week?

Thanks, Bwana. Funniest thing I have read in a week.

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't know. You haven't given me any.

How can you breathe with your head in the sand?

Reaper16
11-20-2009, 01:42 PM
How can you breathe with your head in the sand?
Amphibious pores.

Norman Einstein
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Amphibious pores.

Good luck with that.

Cannibal
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Let's not forget that when a republican makes some stupid mistake and they report on it, they change the offending republican's "R" to a "D". They've done it multiple times.

Cannibal
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
They did come out and admit the mistake. Not like during the campaign the left continued to smear the right with wrong info night after night.

I see no problem with any news agency admitting they made a mistake, even the left, when they do, of which is far and few in between.

tardated.