PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet I Need Some Help..

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:44 PM
ok, I really want to get out of my town. (a town of about 30,000 in south dakota). There are too many things in this country/world for me to be stuck in this small ass town. I work the dreaded 9-5 at a soybean processing plant. I am miserable and I want out while I am young. (21 years old). I dont want to be one of those guys that looks back 10 years from now and breaks down and freaks out. I am looking into tech schools and what not but, I really just want to know if anyone on here has attempted a move out of curiousity or just plain old GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE syndrome. I'd like to go to school but really, I dont know what I want to do. I need to broaden my horizon and I figure a change of scenery would help. Anyone know of jobs that pay fairly well starting out? I've done a lot of warehouse/logistic/shipping work and im pretty good with organization, paperwork, brainstorming. O, and i'd like to move somewhere west (Utah,Arizona,Nevada, MAYBE Cali, Oregon. somewhere like that. ANY help would be appreciated.

milkman
11-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Brainstorming?

LMAO

I bet there are think tanks all over the coutry just looking for a guy like you.

Baconeater
11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Move to a town of 40,000 in South Dakota? :shrug:

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
k chode. carry on

DeezNutz
11-19-2009, 08:48 PM
You could move in with milkman.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm really jus wonderin if anyone on here has moved quite a distance for a reason OTHER than a job relocation

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:50 PM
You could move in with milkman.

I'd rather move in with mecca.

kstater
I once moved to Nevada. Just to kill a man in Reno.

Fish
I suggest pimpin.... It isn't what I would call "easy" though......

DeezNutz
I once passed a ticket to my friends and said, "Sorry boys, I have to go see about a girl."

Great decision. No regrets.

milkman
11-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd rather move in with mecca.

Well damn, and I was soooo looking forward t have you stay.

badgirl
ok, I really want to get out of my town. (a town of about 30,000 in south dakota). There are too many things in this country/world for me to be stuck in this small ass town. I work the dreaded 9-5 at a soybean processing plant. I am miserable and I want out while I am young. (21 years old). I dont want to be one of those guys that looks back 10 years from now and breaks down and freaks out. I am looking into tech schools and what not but, I really just want to know if anyone on here has attempted a move out of curiousity or just plain old GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE syndrome. I'd like to go to school but really, I dont know what I want to do. I need to broaden my horizon and I figure a change of scenery would help. Anyone know of jobs that pay fairly well starting out? I've done a lot of warehouse/logistic/shipping work and im pretty good with organization, paperwork, brainstorming. O, and i'd like to move somewhere west (Utah,Arizona,Nevada, MAYBE Cali, Oregon. somewhere like that. ANY help would be appreciated.

Go to truck driving school and drive a truck that way you get paid to see the country and when you take your four days off, just try to get a load scheduled for someplace that would take you through there and the load would be far enough off you would be able to take a little 4 day vacation, rent a car while your at this location. (what we used to do). You can usually go to school paid for by the company if you promise to work for them like 2 years. Hell think of the money you would save, you can practically live out of those trucks these days. Save your money and when your ready to settle down, you will have the money to do that.

DBoweFoSho
I once passed a ticket to my friends and said, "Sorry boys, I have to go see about a girl."

huh?

Baconeater
11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Go move in with Badgirl, I heard she has a spare room.

kstater
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Oh shit, badgirl giving life/job advice. All aboard.

milkman
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Go move in with Badgirl, I heard she has a spare room.

No, they just said it's as big as a room.

Count Alex's Losses
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Join the Navy.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:56 PM
truck driving school would be sweet but i got a DUI a year ago and i heard you basically have to have a saint like background and driving record to get a CDL

kstater
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I heard crack whores make decent money.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Join the Navy.

i've always contemplated serving in somethin but i feel i'd be doing it for hte wrong reason. dont get me wrong i'd love to serve our country . i've always been interested in military mumble jumble and know quite a bit about it as well as history of it and politics but again, i feel i'd be doin it for the wrong reasons.

badgirl
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
truck driving school would be sweet but i got a DUI a year ago and i heard you basically have to have a saint like background and driving record to get a CDL

was your license suspended? If so after the year I assume you got them reinstated. Your state could be different. If you did get them reinstated some places may go ahead and let you if thats all you got.

Dicky McElephant
11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
i've always contemplated serving in somethin but i feel i'd be doing it for hte wrong reason. dont get me wrong i'd love to serve our country . i've always been interested in military mumble jumble and know quite a bit about it as well as history of it and politics but again, i feel i'd be doin it for the wrong reasons.

Mumble jumble?

what town in SD?

Fish
11-19-2009, 09:04 PM

You don't control your own goals in life? How can you say it would be for the wrong reasons if you are the one contemplating it?

wild1
11-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Go to school at night. Tough it out for a few years. Get a bachelor's. You don't have to know what you want to do forever. Nobody does.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
yes its reinstated, and i live in aberdeen,sd.....and yes i create and control my own goals but i dont want to join the navy JUST to travel. i'd feel like an ass hole

Count Alex's Losses
11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
i've always contemplated serving in somethin but i feel i'd be doing it for hte wrong reason.

Fuck that. The only reason to join the Navy is for yourself. The serving your country crap is a line of bullshit to get people to join up.

Make the Navy work for YOU. Not the other way around.

ArrowheadHawk
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Go to work for UPS, Fedex or USPS. I think they start out payin' decent.

milkman
11-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm actually going to give you some honest advise.

If you are comtemplating joining the Navy, even if you think it may be for the wrong reasons, just do it.

I was like you. at your age.

A dumbass with no direction.

I finally joined the Navy simply to get a fresh start at something.

It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I grew up a lot while in the Navy.

I'm still a dumbass, but a dumbass with discipline and direction.

Buehler445
11-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Do you have an education? If so, get your application out. If not, get one. Then get some applications out.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
really? the Navy huh. I heard its hardcore.

BigRedChief
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM
You just have to GTFO. I left the old hometown, Springfield, Mo. (the belt buckle of the bible belt) at 18. I was miserable. A buddy knew someone in New Orleans who said they had jobs down there, so I took my life savings of $220 bucks and my $600 car and high tailed it out. Met a girl down there the first week and she told me about working off shore in the Gulf of Mexico drilling for oil. the next week I was on an oil rig.

Life's too frikking short to live a dead end exsistence.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:14 PM
why not the airforce?

Buehler445
11-19-2009, 09:14 PM

It's no cakewalk, just prepare yourself for what's coming and you'll be fine. I've got a couple buddies that went through it and they were fine.

DeezNutz
11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
You just have to GTFO. I left the old hometown, Springfield, Mo. (the belt buckle of the bible belt) at 18. A buddy knew someone in New Orleans who said they had jobs down there, so I took my life savings of $220 bucks and my $600 car and high tailed it out. Met a girl down there the first week and she told me about working off shore in the Gulf of Mexico drilling for oil. the next week I was on an oil rig.

I said hand jobs. Not my fault your dumb ass ended up on an oil rig.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm actually going to give you some honest advise.

If you are comtemplating joining the Navy, even if you think it may be for the wrong reasons, just do it.

I was like you. at your age.

A dumbass with no direction.

I finally joined the Navy simply to get a fresh start at something.

It was the best thing I ever did for myself.

I grew up a lot while in the Navy.

I'm still a dumbass, but a dumbass with discipline and direction.

This. Maybe the 2nd post me and Milkman have agreed on. He is still a dumbass.:)

Just kidding. Good advice. I went in the Army at 17 and it made a world of difference in my life.

milkman
11-19-2009, 09:16 PM

Hardcore?

Eh, it's not the Marines.

Look to get into an Airman field.

Wouldn't be as much time out to sea.

milkman
11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
why not the airforce?

That would work, as well.

Raised On Riots
11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I recommend Hobo-ing.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 09:18 PM
why not the airforce?

That's your best bet for a technical job field you can use later in life. As long as you can pass the entrance standards as they are they ar highest of the armed forces.

You dont have to be genius just have some smarts.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
so what if you cant "hack" it in the airforce or navy. I dont consider myself a pussy by any means but ive never really sat down with anyone and talked about what they went through...do they kick you out? make you get through it? i dont wanna start this and then find out im not good enough then be worse off than before

BigRedChief
11-19-2009, 09:22 PM
I said hand jobs. Not my fault your dumb ass ended up on an oil rig.ROFL Man I tell ya being 18 years old and being able to legally go into alcohol serving "gentelmans" clubs in the french quarter. I knew I wasn't in the bible belt anymore.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
so what if you cant "hack" it in the airforce or navy. I dont consider myself a pussy by any means but ive never really sat down with anyone and talked about what they went through...do they kick you out? make you get through it? i dont wanna start this and then find out im not good enough then be worse off than before

If you cant hack it in the Navy or Air Force you are a pussy. ;)

KCbroncoHATER
11-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I agree, join the military.

Give something back to your country.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
so the navy , can you pick your career?

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.navy.com/careers/#enlisted-jobs

LaChapelle
11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Get a job in the NFL teaching focus/concentration/label reading comprehension

Psyko Tek
11-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Fuck that. The only reason to join the Navy is for yourself. The serving your country crap is a line of bullshit to get people to join up.

Make the Navy work for YOU. Not the other way around.

dude a tom of my friend joined the military just to get out of the home town
and most got a good technical education

they where mostly air force
but they cam e out with job skills
and somewhere actually good techs

the military WILL use you as much as you use them

I didn't go
but don't dimiss it as an opyion

somedays I wish I had

Baconeater
11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
so the navy , can you pick your career?
Here's all you need to know.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Raised On Riots
11-19-2009, 09:33 PM

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

ROFL Motherfucker beat me to it.

BossChief
11-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I started working for Directv about 4 years ago and was renting an apartment at the time with little to show for my effort. I now own my home outright and have two vehicles paid for and can afford to take the winter off.

If you dont mind extra long hours and six day work weeks, you can really make a good living starting as an installer. You can train and then be a traveling tech where you can go all over the country installing systems. It is truly a very rewarding field that requires little more than common sense and persistence.

It is also a limitless field as you can go into the retail end and sell systems and install them and have people doing it all for you if you play your cards right.

just an option

good luck

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM

hardcore! hahah ROFL ROFL

scorpio
11-19-2009, 09:35 PM

That should be in a movie.

Count Alex's Losses
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBXu-iY7cw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Catchy tune. :thailor:

Fritz88
11-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Good luck. I think you are doing the right thing. Get out, have plan B in case what you attempt does not work out.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:39 PM
If you cant hack it in the Navy or Air Force you are a pussy. ;)

This is absolute truth. :clap:

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks for all the insight guys. I might go hit up the navy and airforce recruiters tomorrow.

Count Alex's Losses
11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
thanks for all the insight guys. I might go hit up the navy and airforce recruiters tomorrow.

Just do it. What do you have to lose?

Are you in shape?

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:41 PM

Unless you have a vagina, stop at the Army recruiter first.

It's not as hard as you think, and if you are smart, you can get some top rate training.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:45 PM
define in shape?.... i eat fairly healthy , my job is strenuous most days. i work out from time to time. BUT, i do smoke and have been fightin it for almost 2 months now. went one month wihtout smokin and now im kinda smokin again... jus bought some nicorette though.... and i finally got my dads weight machine and treadmill set up so i plan to hop on that monday and start my routine.. but im fairly skinny haha. im about 5'11'' 145

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
i thought alot about the whole bein in shape thing and i figured if i did join the forces i would work out and do cardio and some other things to bring up my stamina and clear out my shitty lungs.

Count Alex's Losses
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
define in shape?.... i eat fairly healthy , my job is strenuous most days. i work out from time to time. BUT, i do smoke and have been fightin it for almost 2 months now. went one month wihtout smokin and now im kinda smokin again... jus bought some nicorette though.... and i finally got my dads weight machine and treadmill set up so i plan to hop on that monday and start my routine.. but im fairly skinny haha. im about 5'11'' 145

I was just checking to see if you were fat. If anything you're underweight.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:48 PM
im definately underweight...it sucks.. i mean i have muscle im a little scrappy but i need to put on at LEAST 10-15 lbs of muscle/fat...hopefully the combo of leanin of smokin and workin out will help............ also. i was born with asthma but havent really been affected by it since i was about 11 (i am 21 now) how serious are they on asthma now days? i heard you couldnt get in back in the day.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I went to boot camp at 5'11'' and 155. I was 177 after 12 weeks of boot camp. The army whipped my ass in shape. The first of many good things I got from my time as a GI. I was lost and bored after HS, the recruiter called me the morning after a monster party and offered to take me to breakfast. I signed up later that day. The army made me a man and then paid for my college. Army FTW.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I went to boot camp at 5'11'' and 155. I was 177 after 12 weeks of boot camp. The army whipped my ass in shape. The first of many good things I got from my time as a GI. I was lost and bored after HS, the recruiter called me the morning after a monster party and offered to take me to breakfast. I signed up later that day. The army made me a man and then paid for my college. Army FTW.

nice. what did you do in the army

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:52 PM
Oh and it seems like everyone smoked, so I wouldnt worry about that... shit. With the war going on, they will give an enlistment waiver to just about anyone that wants to join. Asthma, felony, g.e.d., just about whatever you need to get in. They will make it happen./

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
nice. what did you do in the army

i was the gunner on an M1A1 tank.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM

I was 5'11 135 when I went to basic and AIT. I was 172lbs 13 weeks later.

Of course I was not quite 18 when I went.

You will kick your smoking habit too if you really want. At least for a while.

The military may or may not be right for you but at 21 with no special job skills in this economy you have 2 real options.

College and the military.

College requires a means to do it and then you are still competing for a job afterwards and there are plenty of college graduates out of work right now.

I am also biased as I believe all males that don't go to college after high school should have to do 2 years of military duty. (All non volunteers would not be required to do a combat arms MOS) But that's just me.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
i only have a g.e.d. i didnt think that was a very big deal to them?

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I was 5'11 135 when I went to basic and AIT. I was 172lbs 13 weeks later.

Of course I was not quite 18 when I went.

You will kick your smoking habit too if you really want. At least for a while.

The military may or may not be right for you but at 21 with no special job skills in this economy you have 2 real options.

College and the military.

College requires a means to do it and then you are still competing for a job afterwards and there are plenty of college graduates out of work right now.

I am also biased as I believe all males that don't go to college after high school should have to do 2 years of military duty. (All non volunteers would not be required to do a combat arms MOS) But that's just me.

THIS. No its not just you.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
i only have a g.e.d. i didnt think that was a very big deal to them?

It used to be, but not so much now.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
It used to be, but not so much now.

No issue anymore. You basically need to have a GED or diploma and pass the ASVAB and not have a felony.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but I have to say that threads like this are some of the more interesting to me on the planet. We have a person living in South Dakota leading a life that I would never otherwise have exposure to, and then lots of other people chiming in with their own life experiences that are also completely out of my realm of experience. It's fun to read how people's lives progress and how different those paths are.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 10:00 PM
i got above average on my asvab and had all those f'ers callin me non-stop ...the marine guy showed up at my door twice...he was persistent. im gonna go to the recruiters tomorrow. listen to em all ... see what the deal is.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 10:02 PM
i got above average on my asvab and had all those f'ers callin me non-stop ...the marine guy showed up at my door twice...he was persistent. im gonna go to the recruiters tomorrow. listen to em all ... see what the deal is.

I cant stress this enough, if you find something you want to do as far as a job goes in the military and you qualify for it, dont let them talk you into something else. They are trying to fill slots that is their job.

If you find something interesting that you think suits you, insist on it.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:03 PM

If you scored high on the asvab, look for the best technical job that translates to a real world job. There are not many M1A1s driving around blowing shit up in civilian life. I scored high, but they got me with the LARGE cash bonus. Another thing I learned, MONEY TALKS.

Bweb
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
huh?

Not a good sign if you have to ask :eek:

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
i was the gunner on an M1A1 tank.

Whoooooooooa, coooooooooool.

Did you get to blow stuff up and stuff?

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Whoooooooooa, coooooooooool.

Did you get to blow stuff up and stuff?

Only one use for an M1. :D

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Only one use for an M1. :D

Ha. CDAT.

I was a Crunchy.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Ha. CDAT.

I was a Crunchy.

Ground pounder! In a bradley? or straight up 11 bang bang?

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Ground pounder! In a bradley? or straight up 11 bang bang?

11M. Bradley.

We used to work with the M1's all the time.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I strongly considered the Navy when I got out of college, and didn't do it. I kind of regret it, because I feel like there's a really big cool club of veterans and I'm not in the club.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
11M. Bradley.

We used to work with the M1's all the time.

Oh I know the 11m all too well. The task forces at fort stewart were all made up of tankers and brads(inf) cross attached. Did you gun the brad? the mikes are bradley crewman right? I liked the sound of the 25mm. Pretty badass, no 120, but still pretty badass

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Oh I know the 11m all too well. The task forces at fort stewart were all made up of tankers and brads(inf) cross attached. Did you gun the brad? the mikes are bradley crewman right? I liked the sound of the 25mm. Pretty badass, no 120, but still pretty badass

Wow. I was at Ft Stewart as well. 24th ID. 89-91.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:19 PM
I strongly considered the Navy when I got out of college, and didn't do it. I kind of regret it, because I feel like there's a really big cool club of veterans and I'm not in the club.

From your posts, It seems pretty obvious that your intelligence and skills are best used elsewhere. You kinda seem like a waste of brains just to be used to man a rifle.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Wow. I was at Ft Stewart as well. 24th ID. 89-91.

I was there from 95-2000. Saw the 24th change to the 3rd. In 1-64 AR. You werent in 3-15 were you? We always worked with them. dumb grunts. ROFL

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
would you suggest i sell my truck if i left? i have an '03 silverado and have about 11,000 left to pay.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:24 PM
would you suggest i sell my truck if i left? i have an '03 silverado and have about 11,000 left to pay.

depends on where you are stationed. if it you are stationed stateside, you will want wheels. if you go to germany, korea or somewhere else overseas, you may consider selling it. You can always set up an allotment so it is paid automatically.

Marcellus
11-19-2009, 10:27 PM
I was there from 95-2000. Saw the 24th change to the 3rd. In 1-64 AR. You werent in 3-15 were you? We always worked with them. dumb grunts. ROFL

No I was in 3/7. (1st Brigade) We worked mostly with 3/69 Armor.

My platoon spent a month in Saudi attached to a company of 3/69. They stuck us way off the edge of the perimeter and made us walk a half mile to chow every night. :cuss:

I was just telling a friend of mine the other night about an M1 that got stuck in sebca (sp? mud hole) in Iraq in 1991 and had to be abandoned and destroyed by an air strike.

You would be cruising along in the desert and hit a sebca (sp?) and it would turn to mud and just bury a vehicle.

DBoweFoSho
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
coo. thanks guys. im off to bed . gotta wake up for my AWESOME job tomorrow. peace.

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
No I was in 3/7. (1st Brigade) We worked mostly with 3/69 Armor.

My platoon spent a month in Saudi attached to a company of 3/69. They stuck us way off the edge of the perimeter and made us walk a half mile to chow every night. :cuss:

I was just telling a friend of mine the other night about an M1 that got stuck in sebca (sp? mud hole) in Iraq in 1991 and had to be abandoned and destroyed by an air strike.

You would be cruising along in the desert and hit a sebca (sp?) and it would turn to mud and just bury a vehicle.

Yeah, we were 2nd brigade. I went over to kuwait in cause hussein kick out the UN inspectors. spent 6 months on the border doing nothing. It is amazing how much damage one of those wattis could do to a tank

Phobia
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Before you hit the recruits, find a young active duty guy on this board and give the recruiter their name. They'll get some points towards promotion if you join as their referral and sometimes some extra days off - at least that's how it worked when I was in the USMC.

Rain Man
11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
From your posts, It seems pretty obvious that your intelligence and skills are best used elsewhere. You kinda seem like a waste of brains just to be used to man a rifle.

thanks for the compliment, and I probably would've been bad at that role anyway. the navy recruited my degree hard to be nuclear power guys on subs and carriers, and I found that prospect quite intriguing. it was a little too much of a life leap for me at the time to do that, but I really wish I would have, just for the experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

ziggysocki
11-19-2009, 10:38 PM
thanks for the compliment, and I probably would've been bad at that role anyway. the navy recruited my degree hard to be nuclear power guys on subs and carriers, and I found that prospect quite intriguing. it was a little too much of a life leap for me at the time to do that, but I really wish I would have, just for the experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

I couldnt be on a sub. no way. I describe my time like this: "The most fun that I never want to have again."

Param
11-20-2009, 12:39 AM

I would save as much money as you can and sell shit you don't need. Pack your pickup truck and drive out west. Fine a roommate online so you have a place when you get there. Narrow it down and pick a place. As soon as you get there, take a job.... Any job so you have income coming in. Plus it helps to socialize & get aware of your new surroundings. Spare time search for a job you're more interested in. Key is getting income in asap when you first move. If it really sucks ass where you are, then you will do whatever it takes to move. Or you will just continue to daydream and time will fly by.

BigRedChief
11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
I would save as much money as you can and sell shit you don't need. Pack your pickup truck and drive out west. Fine a roommate online so you have a place when you get there. Narrow it down and pick a place. As soon as you get there, take a job.... Any job so you have income coming in. Plus it helps to socialize & get aware of your new surroundings. Spare time search for a job you're more interested in. Key is getting income in asap when you first move. If it really sucks ass where you are, then you will do whatever it takes to move. Or you will just continue to daydream and time will fly by.
THIS!

If you keep waiting for the perfect moment, the right situation, it never comes. It was scary for me to leave home with $200 bucks and no for sure job, to a place I've never been. I knew it was a big risk, no one agreed with my decision and in hindsight if my son wanted to do that now I'd say no frikkin way. But, when your young you can take risks like that to improve your life. You can always return home and work at the plant.

Dartgod
11-20-2009, 07:54 AM
They let Frazod in, so its really not that cool.

Delano
11-20-2009, 08:03 AM
i live in aberdeen,sd.....

ROFL You poor son of a beeech.

You could enroll at NSU and be the next Ronnie Cruz.

kepp
11-20-2009, 08:23 AM
You just have to GTFO. I left the old hometown, Springfield, Mo. (the belt buckle of the bible belt) at 18. I was miserable. A buddy knew someone in New Orleans who said they had jobs down there, so I took my life savings of $220 bucks and my $600 car and high tailed it out. Met a girl down there the first week and she told me about working off shore in the Gulf of Mexico drilling for oil. the next week I was on an oil rig.

Do something like this. You're young and unattached...there's no better time. I'm sure you know someone that has a connection or two in one of the states you mentioned. The problem is, you're not thinking about it, you're worrying about it. You have nothing to worry about at your age...just do it.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
11-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Cav joke:

What's the difference between a 19D (CAV scout) and an 11B (Infantryman)?

A 19D gets lost faster.

Former 3rd ACR member (66 MI Co/3/3 ACR)

Bwana
11-20-2009, 09:36 AM
Get your ass up to Alaska. Give Sig a jingle, make big bucks and become a movie star!

http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/fullsizesalish.jpg

burt
11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

You may find it hard to believe, but I went through that also!

Bwana
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
ROFL You poor son of a beeech.

It could be worse, he could live in Belle Fourche, SD. You want to talk about a ****hole of a place. The best part of Belle Fourche, is seeing it in your rear view mirror when your diriving the hell out of that dump, at about 90 miles per hour.

I hate that place with every fiber of my being. :shake:

Jack
11-20-2009, 09:44 AM

Let me tell you something. . .

I know well what you are feeling. But for me it happened a bit earlier. I was 17, senior in HS in a small Missouri farm town of 1700. It was about this time of the year, football was all but over, I was all conference defensive end for the term which isn't much considering the size of the schools in the area.

I wasn't too great at basketball and track was just plain dull. Not too much to look forward to until graduation. Beyond that was a blank. Employment in a farm town would make working at a soybean plant a 4th of July party. College was out of the question financially, and that too didn't hold much of an adventurous call. Just ahead was another cruel cold Missouri winter of barren trees, frozen ground and a girlfriend who just didn't want to alleviate the stress that every 17 year old kid has.

I earned good grades all through HS and felt at the time there wasn't much else they could teach me. At Thanksgiving I casually mentioned to my mother about the Navy and while only hinting about quitting school got a stern lecture about graduating. I dropped it for the time being although my determination went the other direction. My mind was hatching a plan.

A week or so before Christmas I began looking worried and didn't talk. After a few days of only give partial fill-in-the-blank replies to her questions, she finally deduced that I had knocked up my girl friend. She said "I don't know how you can support a wife and baby".

Well, any fatherhood would have been another immaculate conception, but she didn't know that. I dropped a few hints about the Navy and just before Christmas of 1961, the Navy recruiters quota was slightly increased. January 8, 1962 I was on a train heading for a warm San Diego.

I would never condone nor even recommend anyone quit HS as did I. But I went on to get a GED and ended up with a Masters in Electrical Engineering. I could just as easily not done so but a few leaders I met in the Navy steered me in the right direction.

I will never forget 12 years of my life given in the service of my country. My Navy "experience" was vast. Stormy winter seas of the North Atlantic, crossing the equator and the ceremony of that, volunteering to spend a year on the Antarctic Continent and even riding gunboats in Vietnam were all experiences I would never trade.

You are at a cross road that I envy. It may be quite a different Navy than in my day but given your situation, I wouldn't even hesitate. Sure, college is a great logical course suggestted by many and by all means get that education. But what lay ahead of you is an adventure and is just a mater of choice. Robert Frost wrote a poem I always remember that speaks to choices and individualism. The last very verse:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Good luck amigo and vaya con Dios

Redrum_69
11-20-2009, 09:50 AM
THIS. No its not just you.

the bible never said anything about going off to join the military and rummaging other countries for oil

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Y'know, I've been trying to find this forever, but does anyone know where to find stats about the proportions of military people that hold different jobs. What proportion of army people are infantry vs. scouts vs. helicopter mechanics vs. laundry specialists? What proportion of navy people are on ships vs. on land? And if they're on ships, what proportion are mechanics vs. gunners vs. cooks vs. underwater demolitions scuba porpoise trainers?

I've never been able to find this type of information.

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
the bible never said anything about going off to join the military and rummaging other countries for oil

Maybe not the bible, but I'm pretty sure it's in the Constitution.

Redrum_69
11-20-2009, 09:57 AM
maybe thats what I should do...I think I may go talk to a recruiter.

Fairplay
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Y'know, I've been trying to find this forever, but does anyone know where to find stats about the proportions of military people that hold different jobs. What proportion of army people are infantry vs. scouts vs. helicopter mechanics vs. laundry specialists? What proportion of navy people are on ships vs. on land? And if they're on ships, what proportion are mechanics vs. gunners vs. cooks vs. underwater demolitions scuba porpoise trainers?

Good question. I have wondered that as well.

DBoweFoSho
11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
i called em! hes comin to my town in a couple weeks to sit down with me.

Dicky McElephant
11-20-2009, 01:18 PM
i called em! hes comin to my town in a couple weeks to sit down with me.

They don't have recruiters in Aberdeen? They pretty much have recruiters everywhere.

Is he coming from Sioux Falls?

DBoweFoSho
11-20-2009, 06:55 PM
im not sure actually? ha i didnt ask him. he said he'd be down here next week or the week after for friday and possibly saturday. i think hes from north dakota . isnt there a big air base there . lol i have no idea

bevischief
11-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Join the Navy.

US Air Force or join the guard or reserve.

bevischief
11-20-2009, 07:34 PM

I joined the USAF in electronics, with a Assc Degree in Electronic before I joined, stayed in 4 years and this has opened doors for me at Sprint and ATT, I now have over 14 years in electronics and telcom.