PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Long has his big chance with the Chiefs

Tribal Warfare
11-20-2009, 12:23 AM
Long has his big chance with the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1581923.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Lance Long can’t afford bad days or sick days. Can’t deliver a lazy practice or run a sloppy route. Long has to be almost perfect. Otherwise, someone might notice that he doesn’t seem to belong as a Chiefs wide receiver.

“I’ve been through a few obstacles in my life in the football sense,” Long said this week. “You’ve just got to keep playing and keep going.”

The first thing to notice is Long’s size. He laughs when that comes up. He’s heard it before. He’s listed at 5 feet 11, but that’s about a 3-inch compliment. That doesn’t fit the prototype of an NFL receiver, but somehow that’s what Long is. Teammates say he’s smart. Coaches say he’s committed. Long says he’s not afraid of a little work.

“Blue-collar guy, you know?” Chiefs wide receiver Chris Chambers said. “He’s a small white guy who can catch. … He doesn’t make a lot of mental errors. That’s what you want. You want a guy who doesn’t make mistakes on the field.”

Long admits he’s not perfect. There was the time last year, when Chiefs coach Todd Haley was the offensive coordinator in Arizona. Long was a rookie free agent trying to cash in on a long shot. It was the beginning of training camp, and Long ran a read route and noticed that the middle of the field was open. He broke toward it. Only he says he messed up the read. Long says now that he was so concerned about making small mistakes that he made a big one. Haley wasn’t pleased, and he let the youngster know about it — loudly, as the coach often does.

“I really didn’t have any expectations for Lance and really tried to run him off,” Haley says now. “But as time went on, you could tell this guy wasn’t going away.”

Long spent last season on the Cardinals’ practice squad, waiting on his odds to improve. Not long after this season began, Arizona released him. Another team was interested. His old offensive coordinator wanted to take another look.

Long says he had no choice but to get tougher throughout his unusual journey to an NFL roster. Sitting in front of his stall in the Chiefs’ locker room, Long said that his coach at the Detroit-area high school he attended never told him he had a chance to play at a Division I college. He enrolled at Toledo anyway, but after a year he wanted a change of venue.

As if things weren’t difficult enough, Long walked on at Mississippi State. He could have gone to any school in the country, as long as playing wide receiver wasn’t part of the deal, but that never seemed like a good deal to Long.

“I love this game,” he says.

Now the Chiefs are trying to find out whether he offers more there than desire. They want to learn whether Long’s skills outweigh his shortcomings. Haley is giving Long the chance no one else has. The Chiefs have deactivated wide receiver Bobby Wade the last two games, just to take a close look at Long. The Chiefs know what the veteran Wade can do and the skills he offers. It’s Long’s turn in the slot. He’s at least getting his chances.

Long has been thrown to 20 times in three games, and he has 12 catches in that time. He’s still not perfect, either. He stayed in bounds when he wasn’t supposed to against Jacksonville, and he missed a block last week at Oakland. As usual, Haley let him hear about it.

“We’re trying to give him on-the-job experience,” Haley says.

Still, the team doesn’t yet know about Long, and the only way to examine him is in games. Is he just another long shot, or could he be the next Wes Welker, the undersized New England receiver who tied for the league lead in receptions in 2007.

Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel, who played with Welker in New England, says it’s unfair comparison this early in Long’s career. Long agrees, but he knows that nontraditional wide receivers such as Welker have helped others like him elicit looks from NFL coaches and personnel men. Haley says that’s all he’s offering. The rest is up to Long.

“Every day the guy made plays and the defense didn’t like him, and you take notice,” Haley said. “That’s the way guys make it, and there’s never going to be a day he can ever take off. But he’s quick, and he’s tough, and he goes a hundred miles an hour all the time. That’s what got my attention.

“This kid works, and he has some unique skills. We’re just trying to find out what we have.”

Long says that’s all he wants out of this.

“I don’t want to set limits for what I can do,” he says. “Really, I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything yet. Once we start winning, I can be proud of something.”

CaliforniaChief
11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
I hope Long comes up big by going deep and scoring. The drama is thick.

*waits*

Tribal Warfare
11-20-2009, 12:31 AM
I hope Long comes up big by going deep and scoring. The drama is thick.

*waits*

:Elvis: Yeah

Reerun_KC
11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Who is Lance Long and why are we wasting time on this guy?

KCCHIEFS27
11-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Oh joy.

http://files.myopera.com/bcdc/albums/39379/Wanker.jpg

Count Alex's Wins
11-20-2009, 12:45 AM
I love how Chambers called him a white guy. LMAO

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Right.

Babb's fucking awesome.

On the same exact day that Gretz publishes a similar article.

JFC.

:shake:

Miles
11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Who is Lance Long and why are we wasting time on this guy?

A case of who else do they have. If he were cut and some other receiver were brought in would you bitch about bringing in yet another WR?

Sure-Oz
11-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Dane needs a twitter, i would love to see his daily rants...about random shit going on lol

MaxFects
11-20-2009, 01:29 AM
Great article!

Tuckdaddy
11-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I love how Chambers called him a white guy. LMAO

It was cool. Lance should pay him the respect of saying " Chris is a black guy that couldn't make it in SD."

Hog Farmer
11-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Blue-collar guy, you know?” Chiefs wide receiver Chris Chambers said. “He’s a small white guy who can catch.

Racist mother fucker.

If Haley said Chambers was a tall Black guy who could catch it would be all over the news and Goodell would fine him and he'd eventually lose his job.

Jamie
11-20-2009, 06:33 AM
It's nice to see that "Wes Welker type" has replaced "Ed McCaffrey type" as the official euphemism for white receivers.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-20-2009, 07:07 AM
It's nice to see that "Wes Welker type" has replaced "Ed McCaffrey type" as the official euphemism for white receivers.

Ed McCaffrey was a tall, slower WR.

Wes Welker is shorter and quick in and out of breaks.

Lance Long, on paper, compares well to Welker, but is actually taller and faster.

When I googled Lance Long 40 time, the number I saw was 4.38. Wes Welker ran a 4.6

Welker is listed at 5'9", 185. Long is listed at 5'11", 186.

For a slot WR, the guy fits the 'mold'. And, if you have watched him play, he is quick in and out of his breaks. There is some potential there to be sure.

A sub 4.4 slot receiver could be lethal if he develops.

TEX
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
None of these guys will be here in a couple of years, and that includes Bowe.

TEX
11-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Blue-collar guy, you know?” Chiefs wide receiver Chris Chambers said. “He’s a small white guy who can catch.

Racist mother ****er.

If Haley said Chambers was a tall Black guy who could catch it would be all over the news and Goodell would fine him and he'd eventually lose his job.

Yep. Such is the case in America these days...

Demonpenz
11-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Wayne Chrebet type of reciever

KCbroncoHATER
11-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Babb doesn't care if Chris Chambers is racist just as long as he doesn't call him gay.

InChiefsHell
11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
So, does that make him a white Dante Hall?

Demonpenz
11-20-2009, 09:04 AM
So, does that make him a white Dante Hall?

was looking for a black comparison. Dante was tiny though like tiny tiny

RedThat
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Wayne Chrebet type of reciever

Get rid of the gloves.

Count Alex's Wins
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Right.

Babb's fucking awesome.

On the same exact day that Gretz publishes a similar article.

JFC.

:shake:

You do realize, of course, that Gretz and Babb attend the same press conferences? It's not uncommon for different media outlets to report similar stories on the same day...

Babb is the best thing at the Star next to Whitlock.

Jamie
11-20-2009, 08:12 PM

Lance Long, on paper, compares well to Welker, but is actually taller and faster.

When I googled Lance Long 40 time, the number I saw was 4.38. Wes Welker ran a 4.6

For a slot WR, the guy fits the 'mold'. And, if you have watched him play, he is quick in and out of his breaks. There is some potential there to be sure.

That's what I'm saying, Long and Welker aren't that similar. People just use race as the first criteria of comparison, so all white receivers get compared to whoever the latest successful white receiver is. When Tim Dwight was traded to the Chargers I swear someone on ESPN called him a "Ed McCaffery/Wayne Chrebet type".

Easy 6
11-20-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm definitely rooting for the guy & have seen a few flashes, other times he looks engulfed by size & covered up by speed ala Tommy Waddle, he's 5'9 all day long... but until he can translate that 40 to the field, he's no Welker or any other successful honky WR, as you know, regardless of 40's.

Go Lancelot!

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
You do realize, of course, that Gretz and Babb attend the same press conferences? It's not uncommon for different media outlets to report similar stories on the same day...

Thus proving my point that the guy is a hack.

If a story isn't given to him, do doesn't have anything to write about.

Babb is the best thing at the Star next to Whitlock.

And it's no wonder why the Star is losing subscribers

Count Alex's Wins
11-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Thus proving my point that the guy is a hack.

If a story isn't given to him, do doesn't have anything to write about.

He's done plenty of features and profiles before...

I guess I don't get all the hate. He's just doing his job. He's nowhere near as boring as Teicher.

DaneMcCloud
11-20-2009, 10:30 PM
He's done plenty of features and profiles before...

I guess I don't get all the hate. He's just doing his job. He's nowhere near as boring as Teicher.

The "hate" stems from the fact that he doesn't go beneath the surface.

There's nothing in-depth and out of the ordinary.

The Chiefs talk and he writes about it. There's nothing pro-active happening.

It's reactionary writing and it's poor journalism.