PDA

View Full Version : Life A jewelry offshoot thread: class rings.

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Due to the fascinating and thought-provoking jewelry thread, I was thinking about any jewelry I've worn in my life, and other than watches, I can come up with only four items that I can remember:

A wedding ring, which I've worn for 20 years (two different ones since my weight has fluctuated).

A ring my dad gave me for Christmas one year. It had my initial on it and was, for lack of a better description, an insignia ring or signet ring or whatever you call it. I wore it a couple of years in college.

My high school class ring, which I wore for a year or two in college before realizing that it wasn't cool to wear your high school class ring in college.

A leather bracelet when I was in seventh grade, because it was cool to wear leather bracelets in rural Missouri in the late 1970s.

I've never worn a necklace or had an earring or anything.

But it brings up the question of class rings. It appears to be a big business, but at the same time I almost never see people wearing them. What's the deal with that? Or is it just an anomaly on my part and lots of people wear them?

Poll to follow. My apologies to the jewelry thread: I'm not trying to divert from it, but needed to make a poll about the important topic of class rings.

Jenson71
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I didn't get a class ring, and I don't know any person in my class who did. When my football team won the state championship though, I did get a ring, as did everyone on the team.

loochy
11-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I never got one. My parents offered to buy me one, but I told them to save their money or spend it on something else that I'd actually appreciate. I don't see the point of a class ring.

MOhillbilly
11-20-2009, 10:20 AM
shit no, school was a prison. why would i commemorate my release date?

Sofa King
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
I never got one. My parents offered to buy me one, but I told them to save their money or spend it on something else that I'd actually appreciated. I don't see the point of a class ring.

yup, i got a stereo instead.. it was nice... the thing lasted about 8 years of hard use...

it was a good little stereo... and i got far more use outta that than i would have a ring..

Rooster
11-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Class rings IMO are such a big rip off. I have one that sits in a box on the top shelf of my closet. I hardly even wore it in school to be honest. I talked about selling it since gold is so high right now but the Mrs. threw a fit. Something about giving it to our kids or some BS.

(we don't even have kids yet) :shake:

Rain Man
11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't get a class ring, and I don't know any person in my class who did. When my football team won the state championship though, I did get a ring, as did everyone on the team.

Dang. I thought about adding a sports ring category, but figured we wouldn't have enough respondents.

I still know where my high school ring is, I think. I'm sure I've got it, and it's just packed away in my Archive Closet or the basement. When I graduated, it was kind of a big deal at the school and lots of people bought them. By the time I graduated college, I had no interest in getting a college ring, and it would seem ludicrous for me to wear my high school ring now. I must confess, though, that class rings are pretty cool-looking, and they're instantly recognizable as a class ring. Pretty good branding.

jidar
11-20-2009, 10:33 AM
I just bought my daughter her class ring. Damned thing cost me almost $400... shit.

I started in talking about how useless they are and noone ever wears them out of highschool but both her and my wife were hearing none of it.

MOhillbilly
11-20-2009, 10:34 AM
man my freshman year i wanted a black leather motorcycle jacket sooooo fuckin bad.so bad.

And for christmas that year i got a willard tigers black letterman jacket.

my mom said ' it has leather sleeves'.

:cuss:

Jenson71
11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Grandpa Jenson had a military ring that he wore everyday, and it was a great heirloom he passed down to my dad, who also served. And now my brother will get it when my dad dies. It's pretty special memento to the family. I'd get a military ring if I had served.

MOhillbilly
11-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I just bought my daughter her class ring. Damned thing cost me almost $400... shit.

I started in talking about how useless they are and noone ever wears them out of highschool but both her and my wife were hearing none of it.

you could have got her something cool like a horseshoe ring for 400$.

ChiefJustice
11-20-2009, 10:38 AM
I had a class ring and gave it to my girlfriend at the time(cliche...I know).

We broke up in my first year of college....I vaguely remember tossing the ring into my

glove box after the episode.

I never saw that bitch again.....although,I did keep seeing that girlfriend,on and off, again for a few years.

BY1401
11-20-2009, 10:39 AM
The only college jewelry I'll wear on a somewhat regular basis is my fraternity badge. I'll use it as a lapel pin.

TrebMaxx
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
I had no desire for any class, college or military rings. I only wear my wedding ring and I probably wouldn't even wear it if the little lady wouldn't have a conniption fit.

seclark
11-20-2009, 10:55 AM
got a hs class ring. as soon as i got it, i gave it to my girlfriend(now my wife). she still has it in a jewelry box somewhere.
sec

Reaper16
11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I did get a high school class ring, but I didn't wear it much. I got it mainly for its use in the future as something to spark memories.

Frazod
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I wore my high school class ring for probably three or four years afterward. Just got in the habit of having it on. Then one day I looked down and thought "why the fuck am I still wearing this?" and took it off and never put it on again. I think it's in my wife's jewelry box now.

No college ring since I never graduated.

Never got a Navy ring. The ones I've seen have either looked cheap or been way too expensive.

KCFalcon59
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Bought a ring but it was stolen.

DaFace
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I got a class ring in HS, but I have no idea why. Damn thing's still sitting in the back of a drawer somewhere.

Mom and dad...sorry about that.

cdcox
11-20-2009, 11:34 AM
I got a class ring in HS, wore it for a while and then never again. I could find it in 10 minutes of looking.

I didn't get a college ring. One of my bosses graduated from Texas A&M and wore his college ring. He was in sales and the'd have A&M guys make sales calls on other A&M guys and the ring supposedly made a big difference in Texas. They'd also had a U. Texas sales force to sell to Texas grads and they wore class rings, too. I imagine in some business situations it might be useful.

KC native
11-20-2009, 11:42 AM
I got a HS ring. I wore it for about a year and then it got stuffed somewhere so I have no idea if I still have it. I didn't buy one when I graduated college because I don't like wearing rings. All I wear now is a nice Tag Huer watch.

On the college ring thing, I've noticed that it depends highly on the school you went to. In Texas, almost every fuggin texas a&m graduate and baylor grad that I've met wear a class ring. With TCU alumni, it's much more rare to see someone wearing one.

KC native
11-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I got a class ring in HS, wore it for a while and then never again. I could find it in 10 minutes of looking.

I didn't get a college ring. One of my bosses graduated from Texas A&M and wore his college ring. He was in sales and the'd have A&M guys make sales calls on other A&M guys and the ring supposedly made a big difference in Texas. They'd also had a U. Texas sales force to sell to Texas grads and they wore class rings, too. I imagine in some business situations it might be useful.

HAHA beat me to it. The A&M crowd loves their class rings. I haven't noticed it as much with UT alumni.

AndChiefs
11-20-2009, 12:50 PM
HAHA beat me to it. The A&M crowd loves their class rings. I haven't noticed it as much with UT alumni.

Yep, I'm currently attending A&M and everyone I know that graduated here wears their rings near everyday and it's a big deal when you receive yours.

Also hear tons of stories of Aggie graduates making business connections with them.

Demonpenz
11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
i bought my class ring myself and still wear the dumbassery of it

wildcat09
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I did get a class ring from high school but only because my mom wanted me to. I still have it somewhere.

I do, however, have 6 rings (4 bowl game rings{one included All-American Sr year}, 2 conference title rings) from playing college football. I still sport one of those every once in a while.

Sandyskc
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I had mine until someone broke into my house and took everything.

MOhillbilly
11-20-2009, 04:50 PM
I had mine until someone broke into my house and took everything.

sorry bout that, smoke me an addy an ill return it.

tmax63
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
I had a class ring and wore it most of the time until one summer I did wheat harvest and about lost my finger when I got it caught on a tarp hook. Then it got melted into a big blob of slag with my other jewelry and a few coins when the house burned down a year or 2 later.

JD10367
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
I voted "3-5 years" for my HS ring, because I lost it after that (and "I lost it" wasn't a poll choice). It was a funky ring 'cause it had the school's emblem on the front of the stone (they'd drilled a hole through the stone), so it was a pretty cool-looking ring.