PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs You knew this was coming!!!...Whitlock

BossChief
11-22-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/columnist...ry/1585560.html

Bowe a victim of the win-at-all-costs pressure
By JASON WHITLOCK
The Kansas City Star

This column is not intended as a rationalization of Dwayne Bowe’s mistake relating to performance-enhancing drugs. Nor is it intended to be a demonization of Chiefs head coach Todd Haley.

My perspective on the world is colored by my football-playing experience and my belief that most of the media tend to see the sports world from the perspective of coaches and executives.

As members of the media, we get more access to coaches and executives than we do the athletes. The typical sports columnist or broadcaster is closer in age to the head coach or general manager/athletics director than the athletes.

The most surprising thing about Bowe’s suspension for using a PED is that he is the only member of the Chiefs to get busted. Bowe claims he used a diuretic to lose weight. Haley spent the offseason demanding that the Chiefs lose weight.

I know many of you don’t care about what may have driven Bowe to skirt the rules. You believe if you were paid millions of dollars to play a game, you’d have little trouble staying in proper condition. You’d do everything the right way as long as you were paid a huge sum of money.

The truth is, you’d struggle with right-and-wrong decisions just as much as today’s athletes. Humans are flawed. We all react differently to pressure. It brings out the best in some of us and the worst in others.

The culture of football begs athletes to cheat. Not to single out Mark Mangino, but listen to the stories we’ve heard this week about the culture inside the Kansas football program. That culture — minus the mean-spirited personal attacks — exists throughout college and professional football.

Injured players are pressured to play. They’re treated poorly by the coaching staff. Players who get away with circumventing rules relating to PEDs and excel on the field are rewarded with accolades and huge contracts.

Dwayne Bowe did exactly what the NFL asked him to do. Football demands that an athlete heal as soon as possible and by any means necessary. Football demands that an athlete get leaner, faster and stronger as soon as possible and by any means necessary. Football doesn’t tolerate excuses.

When someone raises an objection to the unethical culture of football, fans object. They argue that society has become “too soft.” They complain that kids don’t keep score in soccer matches and everyone must play in little league.

Do football fans realize that society has become far more unethical, too? Maybe a softer society is preferable to a more unethical one?

It feels like most Americans will do just about anything for money these days. And we’re disappointed when athletes mirror the rest of society. Dwayne Bowe is a kid compared to the 40- and 50-year-olds who cut corners in corporate America.

I understand personal accountability. And I realize Bowe should’ve never put himself in a situation in which he needed to cut weight quickly.

We want 20-something athletes to be leaders and role models. They’re famous and make a lot of money. You can say the same about the coaches. But we don’t want to hold them to the same high standards as athletes. Coaches and executives create the win-at-all-cost environment.

There are a number of people who view Mark Mangino as a victim. Mangino’s defenders believe his coaching approach prepares young people for a cruel world. It also prepares them to be cruel.

In their desperation to hold onto their money and fame, coaches are becoming more ruthless. The athletes take the majority of the heat. It’s very rare that a situation arises like what we’re witnessing at Kansas. The culture of football rarely gets challenged publicly.

Chiefs fans are so desperate for victories that it’s difficult to discuss the “winning” culture Scott Pioli and Todd Haley are putting in place at Arrowhead Stadium. Bowe’s suspension for PEDs is a reflection of that culture. It is.

Respect is at the foundation of ethics. If there is no respect, there is even less adherence to ethical standards.

Haley’s coaching style is disrespectful. For all the celebration of Bill Belichick and the Patriots Way, I understand why some people believe the Patriots Way was tainted by “spygate.”

In terms of wins and losses this season, I had low expectations for Haley and Pioli in year one. What I expected were a few individual success stories. Bowe is another flop. Tamba Hali’s 3 1/2 sacks, a rookie kicker and Jamaal Charles’ long run against the Raiders are our signs of progress.

The “process” to a winning culture is a lot more confusing than I anticipated.

Count Alex's Wins
11-22-2009, 05:00 AM
worst thing he has written in awhile

rambling and incoherent

BossChief
11-22-2009, 05:14 AM
What is wrong with some people?

Doesn't anyone take fucking responsibility anymore?

Droid is responsible for putting something in his body that he knew was banned.

Everyone knew the moment that Droid was named as suspended, that Whitlock would blame Haley.

I love it how he starts off the article with saying he doesn't want this to turn into Haley demonization and then beats around the bush for awhile then lets the shit fly trying to further demonize Haley.

Whitlock is probably the most predictable writer I have seen.

rocks
11-22-2009, 05:55 AM
Total Crap.

milkman
11-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I thought it was his best article in a long time.

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I know it is really fashionable to hate Whitlock articles but I don't see the problem with this one...

Or most of them.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 07:38 AM
A complete pile of steaming poo.

KCUnited
11-22-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't see the players that are coming back next year showing up to workouts and camp serverly overweight in the culture that Haley/Pioli are creating right now. The multiple high profile players that showed up to workouts overweight this year are a reflection of the prior regimes culture not Pioli's "winning" culture as Whitlock describes it above.

-King-
11-22-2009, 08:45 AM
People have a hate whitlock at all costs mind set too. I really didn't see anything wrong with the article except the part about haley. The other things are true. Plays do want to win at all costs. That's why they play when they shouldn't. That's why mike sellers said that he wouldn't tell the trainers if a teammate had signs of a concussion because he didn't want to be labled a snitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Dane should be happy now. Sounds like JWhit stole the idea for this from him.

ExtremeChief
11-22-2009, 08:51 AM
While I still am not thrilled with Haley's play calling, I like that he is making players accountable. The former regime was entirely too soft on players. I don't know if Haley will create winners out of these guys but I sure think they will be tougher physically and mentally. We will see if he can actually coach the x's and o's as we go on.

KCUnited
11-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Anybody remember that interview with Pioli before training camp where he was talking about watching film from last season and how you could see guys getting overweight as the season went along?

I can't remember if it was a TV or print interview.

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:09 AM
A complete pile of steaming poo.

What exactly is it about this article?

Dinny Blues
11-22-2009, 09:13 AM
worst thing he has written in awhile

rambling and incoherent

Clayton, I believe it would be very big of you to help Jason out instead of constantly bashing him. Take the little guy under your wing. Coach him up and make a good writer out of him.

Think of all us folks you could make happy. Every column he writes would be loved by all.

Think of all the papers The Star would sell. People would be lining up to buy the paper every time his column was in it.

Then some big time newspaper would probably snatch him away and he'd go on to be a bigtime writer in a bigtime city. Kinda like Johnny Damon or sumthin.

Dinny

Reerun_KC
11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
JW has become so total ilrelevant now... Why anyone would care what he has to say is beyond me...

Dude is a 2 star hack...

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:23 AM
JW has become so total ilrelevant now... Why anyone would care what he has to say is beyond me...

Dude is a 2 star hack...

The guy seems like an accomplished sports writer. Are you people really this jaded? I mean, even if you disagree with everything he says. It is funny watching people have to just reject reality and insert their own when suddenly a sports writer who has been doing it as long as he has on such a broad scale is suddenly a hack. And this isn't in some rare career like being the best at making horseshoes.

Every asshole that has ever watched a game and jumped on the internet thinks they can be a sports writer.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:25 AM
The guy seems like an accomplished sports writer. Are you people really this jaded? I mean, even if you disagree with everything he says. It is funny watching people have to just reject reality and insert their own when suddenly a sports writer who has been doing it as long as he has on such a broad scale is suddenly a hack. And this isn't in some rare career like being the best at making horseshoes.

Every asshole that has ever watched a game and jumped on the internet thinks they can be a sports writer.

LOL. He isn't suddenly a hack, CP has been bashing him as long as I there has been a Chiefs Planet

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:28 AM
LOL. He isn't suddenly a hack, CP has been bashing him as long as I there has been a Chiefs Planet

And why not have reasons for it? Instead of just loving to hear yourself bitch.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Dane should be happy now. Sounds like JWhit stole the idea for this from him.

No, not the same opinion. Dane doesn't believe Bowe was overweight to begin with which kind of flies in the face of this article.

milkman
11-22-2009, 09:29 AM

I highly doubt that's true.

I certainly have no illusions about myself.
I am what I am.

A dumbass with a strong opinions, and I sure as hell ain't no writer.

And I am fairly certain that I'm not alone in that.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:36 AM
And why not have reasons for it? Instead of just loving to hear yourself bitch.

First off, this particular column isnt bad in my opinion.

Secondly the complaints about Whitlock are mostly that his columns usually contain little actual fact based information and usually are just a forum for him to air out his bitches and complaints but little to no data to support his stance.

For example: QB Controversy column, completely media made up.

Tons of people give their reasoning for not liking him, its in the threads just do a search.

RJ
11-22-2009, 09:36 AM
I know it is really fashionable to hate Whitlock articles but I don't see the problem with this one...

Or most of them.

I've always wondered about that. I figured it was just a "locals" thing.

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:37 AM
First off, this particular column isnt bad in my opinion.

Secondly the complaints about Whitlock are mostly that his columns usually contain little actual fact based information and usually are just a forum for him to air out his bitches and complaints but little to no data to support his stance.

For example: QB Controversy column, completely media made up.

Tons of people give their reasoning for not liking him, its in the threads just do a search.

Little fact based on information?

What could he bring to the table? What fact could be brought to the table that hasn't been reported time and time again.

It is an opinion column. JFC.

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:38 AM
I've always wondered about that. I figured it was just a "locals" thing.

People are dedicated to not liking things. :LOL:

RJ
11-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Out of curiosity, was Whitlock as disliked before he started showing up in the national media? Did the dislike start after he went "big time"? Or was it always there?

Just curious.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:41 AM

What could he bring to the table? What fact could be brought to the table that hasn't been reported time and time again.

His Egoli columns are a great example. He rails about Pioli's ego and about how it is a huge issue but provides nothing but his opinion to support it.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but if you are a writer and you are going to voice it, how about something solid to back up your reasoning?

If someone were to write an opinion column about you would you at least want them to provide some examples of the how they formed that opinion of you?

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:44 AM
His Egoli columns are a great example. He rails about Pioli's ego and about how it is a huge issue but provides nothing but his opinion to support it.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but if you are a writer and you are going to voice it, how about something solid to back up your reasoning?

If someone were to write an opinion column about you would you at least want them to provide some examples of the how they formed that opinion of you?

He has talked about his run ins with Pioli. Even described a dinner he had with Pioli and Todd Haley. He bases things off his interactions with people.

Unless he is supposed to try and find some empirical way to prove arrogance. I am not sure what else can be done.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Out of curiosity, was Whitlock as disliked before he started showing up in the national media? Did the dislike start after he went "big time"? Or was it always there?

Just curious.

Go to the Star websight and go back and read a bunch of his old Chiefs stuff.

Occasionally he writes a decent article, usually he is just babbling about stupid shit that fits his agenda.

He has written basically the same column about Pioli 10x and none of the columns have any real reasoning or facts to back his stance.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:48 AM
He has talked about his run ins with Pioli. Even described a dinner he had with Pioli and Todd Haley. He bases things off his interactions with people.

Unless he is supposed to try and find some empirical way to prove arrogance. I am not sure what else can be done.

The issue is he has very little interaction with them because they have closed off the media and that is the root of his problem with them.

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Go to the Star websight and go back and read a bunch of his old Chiefs stuff.

Occasionally he writes a decent article, usually he is just babbling about stupid shit that fits his agenda.

He has written basically the same column about Pioli 10x and none of the columns have any real reasoning or facts to back his stance.

He isn't stating things that can be backed up as empirical facts.

I can state as fact that that yesterday Mizzou beat Iowa St. by giving the score.

I can't state as fact that Pioli is arrogant.

I could try and use what I see about Pioli's job performance and my interactions with him, as well as the reactions other people have with Pioli. Which Whitlock has done time and again.

Not to mentioned the lock down outside looking in nature of this franchise.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 09:51 AM

I can state as fact that that yesterday Mizzou beat Iowa St. by giving the score.

I could try and use what I see about Pioli's job performance and my interactions with him, as well as the reactions other people have with Pioli. Which Whitlock has done time and again.

Whitlock has had very little interaction with Pioli so he has very little to base that opinion on.

Job performance does not equal arrogance one way or another.

You can be good or bad at your job and be arrogant or not be arrogant.

jAZ
11-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Holy shit.

jidar
11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh I get it, Bowe is the victim here.
Why didn't I see this before?
Thanks Whitlock!

... dumbass

jidar
11-22-2009, 09:56 AM
People have a hate whitlock at all costs mind set too. I really didn't see anything wrong with the article except the part about haley. The other things are true. Plays do want to win at all costs. That's why they play when they shouldn't. That's why mike sellers said that he wouldn't tell the trainers if a teammate had signs of a concussion because he didn't want to be labled a snitch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh? You didn't see anything wrong with painting Bowe as the victim for taking banned substances?

Oxford
11-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Whitlock = A two-star bigotted hack

MahiMike
11-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Jason, I'll need the keys to your keyboard now please.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
He makes a disclaimer in the first sentence then does everything in the article he says he is not intending to do.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Black guy is victim, white guy is entitled jerk /Whitlock

splatbass
11-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Just because Pioli didn't kiss his ass during the dinner it doesn't mean Pioli has a huge ego. It just means he doesn't think a GM should kiss the ass of reporters.

As far as this article, if the #1 WR comes in to training camp 30 lbs. overweight the head coach should let him have it. Haley is trying to change the lazy culture that Herm brought to the Chiefs. That is always a hard job, and it usually takes being a real hard ass for a while. I remember when Marty took over the Redskins. They had gotten soft and lazy under years of Norv Turner, he came in as a hard ass and the players revolted at first. By the end of the year they had come around and won the last 5 games. Of course the moron Snyder fired him anyway, but that is doesn't change my point. Usually when a team has gotten fat and lazy it takes a hard ass to get their attention.

rambleonthruthefog
11-22-2009, 11:04 AM
didnt hate it like some. didn't like it like others. Nothin' to read here, move along.

Tactical Funky
11-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Meh.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 11:14 AM

Wasting the key strokes.

Whitlock is a very talented columnist, but most on this site are resigned to dismiss everything that he writes. Not surprising.

Another Mecca thread should be up within the hour.

Count Alex's Wins
11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
People have a hate whitlock at all costs mind set too.

Uh, not everyone. I'm one of his biggest fans.

He mailed this crap in. I'd rather read another e-mail exchange between Carl Peterson and Al Davis.

milkman
11-22-2009, 11:44 AM

The problem is, most of his opinions have as much relevence as an opinion I form that your girlfriend/wife has to be an ugly bitch because you're a dumbass.

To be clear, I'm not saying that is my opinion of you and and your GF/wife, only that is how I see Whitlock's opinions are presented for the most part.

Brock
11-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Coaches are hired to be fired. The idea that the players are the ones under pressure is ridiculous.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Coaches are hired to be fired. The idea that the players are the ones under pressure is ridiculous.

They're all under pressure, of course.

Players have a larger stake because of their comparatively much larger salaries.

Brock
11-22-2009, 12:15 PM
They're all under pressure, of course.

Players have a larger stake because of their comparatively much larger salaries.

Players aren't paid for wins, coaches are.

penchief
11-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Mutual respect is not attainable without accountability. Everyone has to be accountable for their own actions. Everyone has to carry their own weight, including Bowe.

Cheating is disrespectful. Acting as though a different set of rules apply to you is desrespectful, and letting your teammates down because you are selfish is disrespectful. IMO, Bowe is the one who has been disrespectful.

I'm not surprised that Whitlock is taking another unjustified swipe at Haley. If he wants to write about disrespect he should write about how Bowe disrespected himself, his teammates, the game, AND his coach by trying to take a short cut instead of holding himself accountable.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Cheating is disrespectful.

Yet more than 70% of ALL professional athletes "cheat".

It's quite the Catch 22.