PDA

View Full Version : Local Perhaps the worst gubernatorial candidate idea ever Tom Wiggans (D)

banyon
11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Retired pharmaceutical exec Tom Wiggans in race for Kansas governorBy DAVID KLEPPER
The Star’s Topeka correspondent

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics/story/1577134.html

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2009/11/17/22/Tom_Wiggans-71_high_res_11-18-2009_V41CKQS1.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

TOPEKA | Calling Sam Brownback’s election as Kansas’ next governor premature, Kansas Democrats on Tuesday unveiled a candidate of their own: Tom Wiggans, a retired Olathe pharmaceutical executive.

Wiggans, 57, is a political newcomer largely unknown in the state he hopes to lead. A native of Fredonia, Kan., he returned in January after a prominent career in the pharmaceutical industry in California. He’s so far the only major Democratic candidate in the race.

Wiggans filed paperwork Tuesday allowing him to raise money for the 2010 race. Wiggans declined to comment publicly on his campaign, instead e-mailing a statement to reporters.

“Now more than ever as our state and our families deal with this difficult economic climate, we need a successful business leader in the governor’s office,” Wiggans said in the statement. “… Our state needs a governor who can speak the language of business, jobs and prosperity — not a career politician.”

Wiggans enters the race after two prominent Democrats, Gov. Mark Parkinson and state Party Chairman Larry Gates, opted not to run. Brownback, who’s leaving the U.S. Senate, is the leading Republican candidate for the job.

Republicans said Democrats were desperate to find a willing candidate with the personal wealth to fund a campaign. They noted that Wiggans contributed thousands to Republican candidates while living in California, and raised questions about his dedication to the Sunflower State.

“It is hard to imagine Kansas Democrats would actually nominate for governor someone who has never voted in a Kansas election,” said Amanda Adkins, chairwoman of the Republican Party.

Wiggans began his pharmaceutical career after graduating from the University of Kansas. He serves on multiple state economic development boards and is a member of the KU Endowment Board of Trustees. Wiggans is married to Kathryn Wiggans, a nurse. The couple has two teen-age daughters.

Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley, a Topeka Democrat, said Wiggans should appeal to voters more interested in results than partisanship. He said Wiggans’ lack of name recognition, his past support for Republicans, and his recent arrival in Kansas shouldn’t hurt him.

“There are a lot of moderate Republicans looking for an alternative to Sam Brownback,” Hensley said. “This is the guy.”

@ For all politics, all the time, go to KansasCity.com and click on Prime Buzz.

To reach David Klepper, call 785-354-1388 or send e-mail to dklepper@kcstar.com.

Posted on Tue, Nov. 17, 2009 10:44 PM

banyon
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Seriously, THIS is the best Kansas Democratic committee chairs could do? A carpetbagging pharma rep?

Whoever is on the party committees and voted for this should probably lose their positions.

I was watching Kansas Week and the KC Star reporter said "This will be the first time I've covered a governor's race where I haven't met the candidate".

Saul Good
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
At some point, isn't it better not to run a candidate at all than to run one who undermines the credibility of your entire organization?

banyon
11-22-2009, 09:29 AM
At some point, isn't it better not to run a candidate at all than to run one who undermines the credibility of your entire organization?

I can't disagree with this. I mean, if they have decided it's a no-win situation with Brownback, then at least run someone who represents your party and ideology well, a William Jennings Bryan-type of principled opposition in the face of inevitable defeat. At least that's respectable. Run Greta Goodwin, Marci Francisco, or Paul Davis. They would at least represent the party respectably.

Saul Good
11-22-2009, 09:30 AM
I can't disagree with this. I mean, if they have decided it's a no-win situation with Brownback, then at least run someone who represents your party and ideology well, a William Jennings Bryan-type of principled opposition in the face of inevitable defeat. At least that's respectable. Run Greta Goodwin, Marci Francisco, or Paul Davis. They would at least represent the party respectably.

Kinda how I felt about McCain.

HonestChieffan
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Pharma rep. Does that mean he is a bad person?

banyon
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Pharma rep. Does that mean he is a bad person?

Yeah, because that's what this thread was about. :rolleyes:

HonestChieffan
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=banyon;6281904]Seriously, THIS is the best Kansas Democratic committee chairs could do? A carpetbagging pharma rep?

[QUOTE]

I don't know a thing about the guy. It seems you were most upset that he is running. And the fact he was in the drug industry seems to be a big negative to you.

Is there some real information on him that would demonstrate he is not a good person or that he wouldn't be an effective governor?

banyon
11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't know a thing about the guy. It seems you were most upset that he is running. And the fact he was in the drug industry seems to be a big negative to you.

Is there some real information on him that would demonstrate he is not a good person or that he wouldn't be an effective governor?

Do you always play this dumb, or do you work at it?

I don't give a s*** what kind of person he is. In this thread I am commenting that he is a godawful political candidate. And yes, when your only credentials are that you haven't lived here in years and you spent most of your life making bank with the pharmaceutical companies, that's not going to go over very well on main street.

And no, there's not any real information on this guy, because no one has ever heard of him before this week, yet another reason he's a terrible candidate.

[hcf] uh, but hurff, dur, do you think he's like a bad person and stuff? You hate, er, successful people and stuff? [/dishonest off]

HonestChieffan
11-22-2009, 04:20 PM
I'll wait to make any judgement till there is some actual information to read written by someone who has some actual information.

banyon
11-22-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll wait to make any judgement till there is some actual information to read written by someone who has some actual information.

Well, good for you! I'm sure you'll give him a real impartial review. :rolleyes:

(As if the OP didn't include info from a knowledgable local political source).

trndobrd
11-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Greta Goodwin is a blithering idiot, Francisco or Davis would probably be OK. Too bad Sebelius made a point of ousting moderate democrats from the party (see Mark Gilstrap) and didn't build a farm team. The Wichita paper suggested the guy from 'Dirty Jobs'.

"Bob" Dobbs
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
This guy's real good friends with my father in law. That being said, there's no way I'm voting for him.

banyon
11-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Greta Goodwin is a blithering idiot, Francisco or Davis would probably be OK. Too bad Sebelius made a point of ousting moderate democrats from the party (see Mark Gilstrap) and didn't build a farm team. The Wichita paper suggested the guy from 'Dirty Jobs'.

You agree this guy's a complete waste though, right?

Mojo Jojo
11-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Now that Dennis Moore has announced he is not running for re-election to the House I bet that he will also make a run as the Democratic nominee for Governor. If he can pull in big numbers from the third district he would be off to a good start.

banyon
11-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Now that Dennis Moore has announced he is not running for re-election to the House I bet that he will also make a run as the Democratic nominee for Governor. If he can pull in big numbers from the third district he would be off to a good start.

He would clean the floor with this clown, but this is the guy the party is throwing their support behind.

wild1
11-23-2009, 12:51 PM
No real experience in government and running for a high executive office... sounds familiar...

banyon
11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
No real experience in government and running for a high executive office... sounds familiar...

Sarah Palin?

wild1
11-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Sarah Palin?

If only this guy had some time in as a "community organizer"

banyon
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
If only this guy had some time in as a "community organizer"

Or U.S. Senator? Or State rep?

wild1
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Or U.S. Senator? Or State rep?

That US Senator job might help, if the entirety of it were not spent running for another office.

trndobrd
11-23-2009, 06:54 PM
You agree this guy's a complete waste though, right?

I'm sure he's a fine American. But, as a viable Democrat contender for KS Gov, he is a joke.

-He might be able to self finance, but no one trusts someone who appears to be 'buying' an office.

-While voters often appreciate an 'outsider', that doesn't mean someone who has been living outside of the state for 20 years.

-The rabid, moonbat, left wing Democrat base is going to have a hard time getting out and walking the neighborhood for a pharma exec who was a history of supporting Republicans.

As I said, Democrats in Kansas have Sebelius to blame. In selecting Mark Parkinson as a running mate and subsequently exiling Dennis McKinney (really the best candidate the Dems could have run) to the Treasurer's office and purging other moderate Dems, she virtually guarenteed a loss.

Frazod
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
This guy's real good friends with my father in law. That being said, there's no way I'm voting for him.

Hey, somebody actually knows who he is!

banyon
11-24-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm sure he's a fine American. But, as a viable Democrat contender for KS Gov, he is a joke.

-He might be able to self finance, but no one trusts someone who appears to be 'buying' an office.

-While voters often appreciate an 'outsider', that doesn't mean someone who has been living outside of the state for 20 years.

-The rabid, moonbat, left wing Democrat base is going to have a hard time getting out and walking the neighborhood for a pharma exec who was a history of supporting Republicans.

As I said, Democrats in Kansas have Sebelius to blame. In selecting Mark Parkinson as a running mate and subsequently exiling Dennis McKinney (really the best candidate the Dems could have run) to the Treasurer's office and purging other moderate Dems, she virtually guarenteed a loss.

That's a fair assessment.