PDA

View Full Version : Football Rule question on challenges

alnorth
11-22-2009, 01:05 PM
While watching the Indy-Baltimore game, I thought of a question I never considered before. What happens if both teams want to challenge different aspects of the play? Do they review each challenge seperately, or do you just review for the first coach who throws the flag?

Situation: Baltimore ball-carrier fumbles while being tackled. Ball bounces towards the sideline. Indy thinks they recovered it, but I think the ruling on the field is the ball went out of bounds so Baltimore keeps it at the spot it went out of bounds.

Baltimore thinks he was down before the fumble. If there is a fumble, Indy thinks they have the ball. In the game, Indy didnt bother to challenge because it was clear that he was down before the fumble, but what happens if its not clear and both teams want to challenge different parts of a play?

Bacon Cheeseburger
11-22-2009, 01:07 PM
I guess I always thought when a play was challenged for whatever reason, all aspects of the play were reviewed and subject to change, but I could be wrong.

alnorth
11-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I guess I always thought when a play was challenged for whatever reason, all aspects of the play were reviewed and subject to change, but I could be wrong.

well, my understanding is when you throw the red flag, you have to tell the ref exactly what you thought was wrong. The ref doesnt go on a fishing expedition looking for anything that might have possibly been wrong.

I'm wondering what happens if both teams think two different things were wrong with a play.

milkman
11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
well, my understanding is when you throw the red flag, you have to tell the ref exactly what you thought was wrong. The ref doesnt go on a fishing expedition looking for anything that might have possibly been wrong.

I'm wondering what happens if both teams think two different things were wrong with a play.

I've seen a challenge on a fumble when the fumbling team thought th eplayer was down, but the refs reviewed, upheld the fumble but changed the spot of the ball on the recovery.

veist
11-22-2009, 02:51 PM
If you challenge it, all aspects of the play that can be changed by the review are reviewed from my understanding. So you could challenge a spot on a catch and have them say it was an incomplete pass after going under the hood.

Mojo Jojo
11-22-2009, 03:02 PM
In that situation were it was ruled the ball was out of bounds Baltimore wouldn't want to challenge. However, if Indy did challenge at it was ruled the Colts did recover in-bounds then Baltimore could/would challenge the runner being down prior to the fumble. In theory, both teams could win their challenge and it ends up with the ball in the same place with Baltimore keeping the ball.

alnorth
11-22-2009, 03:07 PM
In that situation were it was ruled the ball was out of bounds Baltimore wouldn't want to challenge. However, if Indy did challenge at it was ruled the Colts did recover in-bounds then Baltimore could/would challenge the runner being down prior to the fumble. In theory, both teams could win their challenge and it ends up with the ball in the same place with Baltimore keeping the ball.

Baltimore did challenge because the ball flew backwards on the fumble. On the replay it was clear he was down, so they were challenging for more yardage.

banyon
11-22-2009, 03:33 PM
I would think it would be the first red flag to hit the ground would be charged, but all aspects would be reviewed regardless of which team is charged.

chief52
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
If you challenge it, all aspects of the play that can be changed by the review are reviewed from my understanding. So you could challenge a spot on a catch and have them say it was an incomplete pass after going under the hood.

That is the way I understand it. The entire play is under review when they go under the hood.

banyon
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
How cheap, it looks like they took the official rule book off the nfl.com site and replaced it with a dumbed-down "media-friendly" reader's digest of the rules (which doesn't even mention challenges).

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook
I found an old link to the 2006 rules, but on page 116, it doesn't appear to address your question.

http://blogmedia.thenewstribune.com/media/2006%20NFL%20RULEBOOK.pdf