PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A little indulgence for a long time poster

Baby Lee
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Could someone summarize the first 60 minutes? As verbosely or briefly as you wish.
I was in the middle of gaying it up with a Glee marathon in the background while reading up on Combinational Logic, when I clicked the PIP to peek in on the end of the Indy/Balt game and I spied a bunch of red unis on my screen, so I got to see all of OT, but have no idea how they got there.

Nice to see all the enthusiasm there at the end, and of the stuff I've seen Chambers has been nothing but balls since we got him. Love that pickup. Hope Haley doesn't find some small, but of course oh so important, something to rag on him about until his head's all screwed up.

Fritz88
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
human rectums

milkman
11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Jamaal Charles stated the day off with a kick return, but the chiefs looked much like the inept group we've come to know for much of the first half.

But Matt Cassel and the defense stepped up thier games in the second half, with timely plays, including dep passes by Cassel, a long int return by Andy Studebaker to set up a FG, and timely sacks.

the Talking Can
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
improbable

all i can manage at the moment

kstater
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
The defense gave up nearly 300 yards in the first half while the offense only managed less than 50 in the same time period. Somehow they adjusted and managed to pull one out of their asses in the second half.

Baby Lee
11-22-2009, 03:42 PM
Jamaal Charles stated the day off with a kick return, but the chiefs looked much like the inept group we've come to know for much of the first half.

But Matt Cassel and the defense stepped up thier games in the second half, with timely plays, including dep passes by Cassel, a long int return by Andy Studebaker to set up a FG, and timely sacks.

So is it fair to say a kick return, a big INT and second half adjustments were the big stories?

Was the INT a flukey thing, or the byproduct of scheme, pressure, game flow?

Similarly, was the return a product of design or fate?

memyselfI
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Sheer will.

Nuff said.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Imagine a CHIEFS game, but some other guys wearing our uniforms a lot of the time. Fun.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I had to google "halftime adjustments" because it had been so long since I'd seen them.

Totally different Chiefs team came out after halftime. The defense still gave up a lot of yards, but they had plays when they need it, and the offense looked better than it had at any point all season. They had less than 50 yards in total offense at halftime, but ended with around 280 for the day, with Cassel throwing for more than 200 yards after halftime.

And maybe the most improbable thing of all happened, winning in OT despite losing the coin toss.

Ari Chi3fs
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
3 wins with 22 players off the street!!1!!!!11

JASONSAUTO
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
So is it fair to say a kick return, a big INT and second half adjustments were the big stories?

the int started with hali hitting ben while throwing

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Similarly, was the return a product of design or fate?He had two interceptions, the one that was returned was Roethlisberger being pushed out of the pocket and forcing a throw into the middle of 3 KC defenders. Totally bone-headed throw, and it was wide open to the other endzone. It would have been a TD to any of the faster LBs or a DB.

Shag
11-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. It really was a Jekyll/Hyde type day for the Chiefs.

The first int by Studebaker was flukey - deflected off a Steelers WR. The second was a result of pressure on Ben (by Hali, I think), and was a solid defensive play.

The kick return was really just great effort by Charles, and a couple good blocks. He got caught up in traffic at one point, but kicked out of it and was off to the races.

The Chiefs showed a lot of heart today...

milkman
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM

To your first paragraph, all three played into, as well as Matt Cassel playing his best game in a Chief uniform in the second half.

The int was the result of Hali hitting Reothlisberger's arm as he was releasing it.

The return was just an outstanding effort by Charles.
He broke a tackle or two, made a couple people miss, and then outran the pursuit when he got clear and out ahead.

Baby Lee
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, sucked to miss all of it, but between it not being televised, and my profs deciding it was a good idea to load us up on HW before Thanksgiving, so we can take exams right after Thanksgiving, and the fact that I'm hosting Thanksgiving, . . . something had to give, and sitting in front of my computer and staring at a little square of blurry moving red and yellow and black dots it was.

Rain Man
11-22-2009, 05:08 PM
My individual player themes of the game would include:

Cassel didn't have the best day, and it kind of worries me long term. He panicked a few times when the pressure wasnt that bad.

Charles played great. He da man. He's fast and he doesn't go down when bad defenders try to make highlight hits. And the kickoff return was a thing of beauty. Charles was the difference maker - it's not like he just ran through a big hole.

We saw a new fullback today - Castille - which can't hurt, especially after watching Cox get completely overpowered on one of the Cassel sacks, worse than I've ever seen a fullback get overpowered.

Chambers came up big whenever we needed him. If Bowe wasn't an idiot we might have two good receivers out there.

I think Pope may have unseated Ryan as the starting TE. Maybe Ryan was out there, but Pope is the only one I remember.

Wade Smith continues to prove that he should start at almost any of our line positions. Our line didn't play great, but Charles makes them look better.

Succop = perfection.

Colquitt = perfection. That punt in the first quarter was the best punt ever made.

I know some people around here don't like McGraw, but he was all over the field today making the tackles that a safety needs to make.

While the Steelers WRs got their yards today, our CBs played well. A lot of the Steelers' passing yards were at the TE position.

Studebaker had the interceptions, which were huge, but he also played well against the run. There was one outside run where he fought off two blockers and managed to slow down the runner. Darn impressive.

Hali played hard all day, but he needs to figure out how to get to the quarterback. He ran right by Roethlisberger a dozen times on his "speed rush". At some point in a speed rush you have to bend back in toward the QB, Tamba.

Corey Mays continues to miss tackles, and I wonder if at some point Belcher could take the spot. Belcher made a couple of great plays today on defense and special teams and doesn't seem to miss tackles.

Derrick Johnson's sack was one of the most unusual sacks I've ever seen. That was bizarre.

All of our linebackers and linemen need to improve their grips or something. I half-understand not being able to bring Roethlisberger down, but we've lost a ton of sacks this year when our guys hit the QB and then either don't wrap up or are out of control and lose him. That happened so many times today it was ridiculous.

Our d-line continues to improve. I feel like our guys generally hold their own now. The middle of the line was not in control against Pittsburgh, but the inside linebackers generally stopped the plays from going big. I was really surprised that Pittsburgh ran outside on that one key third down, though, since I thought they would easily make it by running up the middle. That was the play where Belcher stopped Mendenhall for a 2-yard loss.

cdcox
11-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I know some people around here don't like McGraw, but he was all over the field today making the tackles that a safety needs to make.

Derrick Johnson's sack was one of the most unusual sacks I've ever seen. That was bizarre.

McGraw was solid today. He's had 2 or 3 really solid games this year.

I only saw DJ's sack once. I thought he might have had BR's face mask. He basically tackled BR through the blocker. That kind of play takes rare ability. But he had several bad plays today as well. He's just not able to tap into his ability on a consistent basis.

2bikemike
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Could someone summarize the first 60 minutes? As verbosely or briefly as you wish.
I was in the middle of gaying it up with a Glee marathon in the background while reading up on Combinational Logic, when I clicked the PIP to peek in on the end of the Indy/Balt game and I spied a bunch of red unis on my screen, so I got to see all of OT, but have no idea how they got there.

Nice to see all the enthusiasm there at the end, and of the stuff I've seen Chambers has been nothing but balls since we got him. Love that pickup. Hope Haley doesn't find some small, but of course oh so important, something to rag on him about until his head's all screwed up.

I missed the game as well. I was watching the the scores roll by in the bar at Cheese Cake Factory wondering how bad we got beat and was shocked as hell to see them naughted up in OT. I was equally shocked when the next score showed the Chiefs with a 3 point win.

crazycoffey
11-22-2009, 06:07 PM

stop doubting hailey, right?!?!?!
Whitless is speechless,
May Hailey visit his dreams screaming "fuck you", in soft white flowing robes tonight
and may writer's block cloud his brainstorms in tomorrow's writer's meetings

|Zach|
11-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Fantastic game!

bevischief
11-22-2009, 06:29 PM

:clap::):D

bevischief
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I missed the game as well. I was watching the the scores roll by in the bar at Cheese Cake Factory wondering how bad we got beat and was shocked as hell to see them naughted up in OT. I was equally shocked when the next score showed the Chiefs with a 3 point win.

I finally made it to Tanners and got to see the last 6 minutes and the overtime win, the place went nuts on the tie score and the OT win. I am watching the rest of the game I missed while I was at my Niece's "Dedication"

BigMeatballDave
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
This game was a lot like the Ravens game. Lopsided in stats, but the Chiefs made big plays when it mattered. Mecca will be along shortly to tell us the Chiefs should have been blown out...

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Rep. This should put an end to that Bullshit.

Fish
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
We were as lucky as we possibly could be in just about every category. There were hundreds of reasons why we shouldn't have won that game, but somehow we pulled it out. I'm totally thrilled, but it's bittersweet considering how awful we were at times. Without some considerable mistakes from PIT, they would have beat us by 2 or 3 TDs...

I'll take it though...

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Fantastic game!This.

Charles went all Dante Hall to start the game.

We had basically no offense... until it really mattered. The D played well... but was worn out due to the lack of offense. They got to the QB, but just couldn't bring him down.

In the end though... the Chiefs made clutch plays on both sides of the ball. DJ sacked two guys at once. (that was hilarious) and Cassel threw some strikes to wide open WRs.

It was glorious.

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
We were as lucky as we possibly could be in just about every category. There were hundreds of reasons why we shouldn't have won that game, but somehow we pulled it out. I'm totally thrilled, but it's bittersweet considering how awful we were at times. Without some considerable mistakes from PIT, they would have beat us by 2 or 3 TDs...

I'll take it though...There were plays that didn't go our way too. MANY of them. The dropped INT pick 6, that would have put us up by 14... for example.

There's no sense in questioning it... The scoreboard is all that matters.

splatbass
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM

I'll take it though...

What I like about it is that we were totally outmatched in all three phases, made a lot of mistakes and should have lost it, but they kept fighting and never quit. The defense was on the field a long time today but was still making plays when they needed to in OT. The offense looked like crap in the first half, but when they needed to make plays in the second half and OT they did.

There is no quit in this team, and they seem to be in much better condition compared to last year when they faded at the end of games. People can say what they will about Haley, but he has this team playing hard and in condition to finish games without running out of steam.

They don't have much talent, but they are tough and they have a lot of heart.

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
What I like about it is that we were totally outmatched in all three phases, made a lot of mistakes and should have lost it, but they kept fighting and never quit. The defense was on the field a long time today but was still making plays when they needed to in OT. The offense looked like crap in the first half, but when they needed to make plays in the second half and OT they did.

There is no quit in this team, and they seem to be in much better condition compared to last year when they faded at the end of games. People can say what they will about Haley, but he has this team playing hard and in condition to finish games without running out of steam.Exactly.

You can't question their effort. And with a team lacking in talent... that's about all you can ask. I think Haley's doing a good job with this team.

Fish
11-22-2009, 07:23 PM

There is no quit in this team, and they seem to be in much better condition compared to last year when they faded at the end of games. People can say what they will about Haley, but he has this team playing hard and in condition to finish games without running out of steam.

They don't have much talent, but they are tough and they have a lot of heart.

You do have a very good point. I think the only people in the stadium that didn't expect a Chiefs loss today were the Chiefs players. They came to play and the got better as the game went on. 2nd half adjustments... huge improvement from last year.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/video/

Go here and check out the highlights a few links down when you get there.