PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game:

10) When I woke up this morning, I felt exactly the same as I do on days when I have to go to the doctor. I didn't really want to go, but I went anyway. Expecting nothing, hoping the tests wouldn't be too painful or the news particularly bad. And hoping nobody would made me bend over or turn my head and cough. There were a lot of empty seats upstairs, and about 30,000 Steeler fans scattered in the stands. It was about the same as what we saw for the Dallas game. But I will say Pittsburgh's fans are pretty amazing. Pittsburgh is 1000 miles from KC, but these fans travel like crazy. That said, it made it even sweeter to stuff those terrible towels up their ass, especially after Heinz Ward did the "chop" to taunt our fans on his TD. You shouldn't poke a bear with a stick, ever. Even if you are the super bowl champs.

9) You know this game meant a lot to Todd Haley, since he grew up as a Steelers ball boy. He still needs an offensive coordinator big time. I'll bet he puts somebody into that role next year. That last minute of the first half was hard to figure. They left three TOs on the scoreboard, didn't use a single one in the last drive. However, play calling in crunch time was much better. Reverses, throwing long, shuttle pass to Charles for the tying TD, all well done. And no stupid fourth down gambles today. I thought they played much smarter in the second half.

8) I talked to Bobby Wade right before the game, and told him to "show em what he got" since he's been inactive a bunch this year. He did, he played great. Thought all our receivers played pretty well today with Bowe out. Wade ran a great reverse, did fine on punts; Lance had a big third down catch, Chambers hit the big play in OT. Even Pope caught a TD (he even tackled himself in the end zone). I had forgotten it was OK to throw a TD to a TE. Haven't seen one since Tony was traded.

7) Props to Matt Cassel. When he turned the ball over deep in Steeler territory in the forth quarter, leading to their go-ahead TD, I thought that was it. We were cooked. But he drove the team all the way down the field to tie it up. When Pittsburgh won the flip for OT, I thought "Dallas game all over again." But when we got a stop, he drove the team all the way down the field for a win. Major props, can't ask for more than that against the World Champs. He outplayed Big Ben today, and was still standing when the day was over. Big Ben got knocked out, and was lucky to last as long as he did. Chiefs probably missed six or seven sacks on him today.

6) Andy Studebaker, playing for Vrabel, played a great game. Two picks, made good plays in run support, guy may not be a starter, but he played a career game today. Also an amazing sack by DJ today, basically tackling Big Ben AND the guy who was blocking him. Too bad play was negated by another bonehead penalty by Gilberry. That guy better watch his ass, he's running out of free passes on bonehead plays. He cost us the Raiders game at home this year. DJ played like a first round pick this week. Hope the light is finally going off in his head that he needs to be a leader on defense.

5) Looks like Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey are starting to come around. They both played decent today. Tamba Hali has quietly had a pretty good season. We still miss Jared Allen's pass rush, but Hali has been bringing pretty good heat. He was being held over and over and over today. Pittsburgh had seven or eight penalties today, about half of them holding penalties for holding Hali.

4) Number 55 for Pittsburgh, don't know his name, but he's dirty as hell. If you taped the game, watch him on kickoff and punt coverage. He was hitting after the play, mixing it up the whole game. Speaking of kickoff returns, Charles looked very Dante Hall-ish today. I'm not saying he's Dante Hall, but he made a really nice return today. Without that play, we don't win. Special teams played very well today, only one penalty I can think of, in the fourth quarter on a punt return.

3) Succop continues to be money. I'm predicting he'll win the Mack Lee Hill award this year for Chiefs rookie of the year. He may be the best thing that comes from this year.

2) For those who were at the game today, did you see the skit before KC Wolf came out? It was a parody of "30 Rock" with Mitch Houthaus playing the part of Alec Baldwin. Mitch is a pretty good actor! It was bizzare, maybe the Chiefs will put that up on their website.

1) It was great to win at home. Arrowhead still doesn't feel quite like its old self, and with all those Steeler fans there today, it was especially good to send them packing with a loss. This may be the high water mark of the season. I got the feeling after the opening kickoff for a TD that this might be the Chiefs day. The fans, and the team, seemed to have a feeling of, "Screw this, we're going to fight today, and smack these guys in the mouth." They played with major heart today, and earned this win. Hopefully this will be the start of better things to come, although we're still a long long way from being truly competitive. I think we're about two years away. BTW: We're 2-0 without LJ. Sweet!

Count Zarth
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM
DJ had a terrible game today. The sack was nice, but...way too many missed tackles. I think he's a lost cause.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
DJ had a terrible game today. The sack was nice, but...way too many missed tackles. I think he's a lost cause.

Yup. He showed why he has been on the bench. Studebaker out of Div III had a better game.

By the way Ryan has 3 TD's I think from the TE position.

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM

He blew a coverage on Pittsburgh's first TD, but played well after that.
I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I think he's still the most athletic linebacker we've got.

JASONSAUTO

and screened out brown on the td, faded into browns lap instead of coming uo strong to defend the pass
Posted via Mobile Device

Raised On Riots
Great post.

The fan in me hopes this is a, no; scratch that.

The fan in me hopes this is THEE turning point and the place where we can look back and say Sunday, November the 22nd, 2009, was the Day It Started.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Count Zarth
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
and screened out brown on the td, faded into browns lap instead of coming uo strong to defend the pass
Posted via Mobile Device

And at least three missed tackles.

Horrible.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
DJ had a terrible game today. The sack was nice, but...way too many missed tackles. I think he's a lost cause.It was interesting watching Gannon talk about how his technique, or lack thereof, was responsible for one of the touchdowns. How he had a poor drop and took himself back into Brown at safety, and basically took them both out of the play.

That sack was pretty incredible, though.

thurman merman
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
DJ had a terrible game today. The sack was nice, but...way too many missed tackles.

yup. i love DJ and don't think he is as bad as everyone makes him out to be, but he had a horrible game today.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
It was interesting watching Gannon talk about how his technique, or lack thereof, was responsible for one of the touchdowns. How he had a poor drop and took himself back into Brown at safety, and basically took them both out of the play.

That's his problem he has been inconsistent his whole carer. Shows flashes but usually makes a lot of mistakes.

JASONSAUTO
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Great post.

The fan in me hopes this is THEE turning point and the place where we can look back and say Sunday, November the 22nd, 2009, was the Day It Started.

still nothing original huh? thats pretty damn sad
Posted via Mobile Device

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
It feels really good to win, especially on a day when you don't think there's any chance in hell. I mean, shit, I expected to beat both Washington and Oakland, but today I didn't think we had any shot. I'm still high.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
still nothing original huh? thats pretty damn sad
Posted via Mobile Device

:spock:

beach tribe
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Great post.

Nice rip off.

beach tribe
11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I think DJ, should be played at OLB in passing situations every now, and then as a rush backer.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice rip off.

Your welcome?

BossChief
11-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I would argue that it all turned around in the fourth quarter of the Jaguars game!

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
This is the skit I was talking about:
http://tinyurl.com/yedbung

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I would argue that it all turned around in the fourth quarter of the Jaguars game!

It looks like this game was the place where the slop and luck were competing with the skill and talent, and the skill and talent edged it out for the win.

A good sign.

TheGuardian
11-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Hali at the end of the year, mark this post, might not have the stats to show it but he's been outstanding every single week. It was Hali who hit Ben's hand that caused the first interception and he was beating both tackles most of the day and drew some holding calls. Dude has been money all year. AGain, he may not have the stats at the end of the year but I've yet to see him play a bad game all year.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Hali at the end of the year, mark this post, might not have the stats to show it but he's been outstanding every single week. It was Hali who hit Ben's hand that caused the first interception and he was beating both tackles most of the day and drew some holding calls. Dude has been money all year. AGain, he may not have the stats at the end of the year but I've yet to see him play a bad game all year.Looked to me like he was getting a lot of attention in the Steelers blocking scheme. I don't think the (opposing) coaches every week talking about him and how hard he plays are doing it just to hear themselves talk.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Hali at the end of the year, mark this post, might not have the stats to show it but he's been outstanding every single week. It was Hali who hit Ben's hand that caused the first interception and he was beating both tackles most of the day and drew some holding calls. Dude has been money all year. AGain, he may not have the stats at the end of the year but I've yet to see him play a bad game all year.

He doesn't get enough credit really.

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 04:50 PM
He blew a coverage on Pittsburgh's first TD, but played well after that.
I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I think he's still the most athletic linebacker we've got.

I am with GoChiefs on this one. There were a lot of plays where DJ took a wrong angle or outran his gap responsibility. He seems to be exactly what Haley said he was: a freestyler. He makes some real good plays, but blows more assignments than a veteran with a good head on his shoulders should.

Rain Man
11-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Speaking of not getting credit, McGraw doesn't get any credit, and he's been playing pretty darn good.

Saulbadguy
11-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I doubt many of the Steelers "fans" traveled further than 60 miles, FWIW.

Pablo
11-22-2009, 04:57 PM
I doubt many of the Steelers "fans" traveled further than 60 miles, FWIW.Yep. You'd be surprised how many Cowboys "fans" I know.

thurman merman
11-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Speaking of not getting credit, McGraw doesn't get any credit, and he's been playing pretty darn good.

true. mcgraw has been astonishingly not terrible lately.

ArrowheadMagic
11-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I doubt many of the Steelers "fans" traveled further than 60 miles, FWIW.

I would put it at 260 miles. A lot of Iowa and Oklahoma Steeler fans.

Saleenman607
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Again.....nice post. Good take on most thing's. Most telling stat, is TOP 44-22, totally unacceptable and has to improve quickly for this "process" to continue.

kcchiefsus
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Again.....nice post. Good take on most thing's. Most telling stat, is TOP 44-22, totally unacceptable and has to improve quickly for this "process" to continue.

Which again goes back to the OL. Can't pound it out in the ground and control the clock when our OL can't run block (or pass block) worth a shit.

BigRock
11-22-2009, 05:33 PM
2) For those who were at the game today, did you see the skit before KC Wolf came out? It was a parody of "30 Rock" with Mitch Houthaus playing the part of Alec Baldwin. Mitch is a pretty good actor! It was bizzare, maybe the Chiefs will put that up on their website.

It went up on the site a few weeks ago. Dunno where it is there, but it's on Youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxYOEpIDteQ

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Turnovers were the key today. Without them, Chiefs have absolutely no shot.

John McGraw came out about 5 minutes after the game was over, signed a bunch of autographs, shook hands with fans. He gets it. He's a good guy and appreciates playing here in KC (former K-Stater). He has a wife and little boy that come down to see him after the home games.

scott free
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Great post gbf, i always enjoy your takes on the game.

And as i type this, Peter ****ing King of all people praises KC... just to see us mentioned on the per-show as a team earning respect by beating the Champs, not missed tackles, passes & controversy... oy.

Charles? he's trying to 'lose himself in the moment, you own it!...'

Tamba Hali? hell yeah! SUCK it haters!

splatbass
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I am with GoChiefs on this one. There were a lot of plays where DJ took a wrong angle or outran his gap responsibility. He seems to be exactly what Haley said he was: a freestyler. He makes some real good plays, but blows more assignments than a veteran with a good head on his shoulders should.

Yup, I think he is physically very talented but not very smart.

BigRock
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
On one of the replays of Studebaker's INT, you could see Vrabel on the sideline, either holding up his arms to signal a TD or just throwing them up in celebration right about the second it got picked off.

The camera went off Vrabel as the play developed, but about the time Studebaker got to the 50, Vrabel was probably like

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6973/waterboyb.jpg

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I must admit, I didn't see any titty sqeezing going on over on the sidelines today.

scott free
11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

That is the conundrum of DJ... he will stupify & tantalize with amazing stuff on 2 plays & misread 3 others.

If he was a guy with 'lunchbucket skills', he'd be selling cars somewhere.

Frazod
11-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Another perfect sports weekend - Mizzou and Chiefs win, Beakers and Broncos lose.

LET'S GO FOR THREE IN A ROW!

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
It went up on the site a few weeks ago. Dunno where it is there, but it's on Youtube here:

:clap:

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Another perfect sports weekend - Mizzou and Chiefs win, Beakers and Broncos lose.

You're a very evil sports fan.

I like you!LMAO

DBOSHO
11-22-2009, 05:44 PM
We are 2-1 without lj

jax, oak, pitt

Saleenman607
11-22-2009, 05:45 PM
I like the fact that Haley and the Chiefs are starting to go in the right direction during the later part of the schedule, while Denver and all thier luck are starting to slide.

Keep it commin'

Demonpenz
11-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I would have to say mcgraw saved alot of huge yards tackling keeping 40 yard runs to 10 or 11 yard runs, hali was all over the ball, hali was on the field all day, no quit. DJ i dunno, free lances, makes some plays doesn't make plays. I am glad he was semi benched because we needed fresh bodies at the end of the day.

Jack
11-22-2009, 05:50 PM
There are 12 days of Christmas. . .not 10

Demonpenz
11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
charles is tough i thought maybe we went to him too much, whatever though kid is bad ass

58-4ever
11-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Yeah, the dude hits hard and always seems to be in the right place on runs. I like his leadership. This defense as a whole could get better, but they certainly play with heart.

scott free
11-22-2009, 05:54 PM

Wow, that is sooo cool!1? lol... 2 short year ago, the Chiefs public relations & website looked like a Techies Technological Marvel, Circa 1989... NOW we're doing 30Rock spoofs to promote THE SHIP?1?

My, how times have changed...

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM

I have said this many times today.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, that is sooo cool!1? lol... 2 short year ago, the Chiefs public relations & website looked like a Techies Technological Marvel, Circa 1989... NOW we're doing 30Rock spoofs to promote THE SHIP?1?

My, how times have changed...

Pioli told them to step it up or their asses were canned!

Demonpenz
11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
on paper you think mendelhall would juke or flat run over mcgraw, mcgraw stopped him in his tracks even if it was 10 yards it could have been 30 yards

-King-
11-22-2009, 06:03 PM
You know, I've never seen an OLB held as many times as Hali gets held a game. They might not call it, but he's held on damn near every rush. He must be doing something right.

McGraw is good in run support. He's one of the few guys on the defense that can tackle a guy solo.

Charles is a beast. Fuck LJ to hell.

Refs need to check Roethlisberger's jersey for vaseline.

kstater
11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
There are 12 days of Christmas. . .not 10

:spock:

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 06:17 PM
You know, I've never seen an OLB held as many times as Hali gets held a game. They might not call it, but he's held on damn near every rush. He must be doing something right.

McGraw is good in run support. He's one of the few guys on the defense that can tackle a guy solo.

Charles is a beast. **** LJ to hell.

Refs need to check Roethlisberger's jersey for vaseline.

I agree on all fronts.

Hali gets abused. He gets about 2 or 3 holding calls a game it seems. I think the refs get tired of calling it and only call the ridiculous ones.

Amazing how hard it is to tackle Ben.

dirk digler
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM

LMAO Yep it doesn't get any better than that

Skip Towne
11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I'll bet Big Ben had a lot of family at the game. His mother is from Columbus, Kansas

ArrowheadMagic
11-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I'll bet Big Ben had a lot of family at the game. His mother is from Columbus, Kansas

Up until his nap time, he played well.

PunkinDrublic
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Fuck steeler fans it's easy to follow a team with enthusiasm when you've won a couple of super bowls.
I wish I was at the game to tell their front runner asses to go the fuck home.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish
11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Plenty of us did that for you today.
I was behind a group of about 8 or 10 seven year olds, following a big bunch of Steeler fans out the stadium chanting "OVER-RATED....OVER-RATED!!!"