PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley, Post game comments

Huffman83
11-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Coach looks happy and like he's ready to cry.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/video/

Highlights

On the game: “Obviously, a big win for this team. We’re a young team and I really feel like we’ve been making progress. I felt like going into this game this would be a great opportunity to measure where we were as a team. That team we played today is as well a coached team in the league as there is. They’re the model for what we’re striving to get to and that’s something that’s been going on for a long time since I’ve been a young kid in Pittsburgh.

“It was by no means perfect, but you get a guy like [LB] Andy Studebaker, who I said all off-season there was nobody that was better, and then to see it translate into some of the things that kid did out there today. I’m happy that some of that is starting to show because you need some positive reinforcement for as hard as these guys work. We push him hard and my philosophy is I’m not going to accept average or below. This job is not for the faint of heart and not a lot of games have been won around here. It’s nice to get a little reward against a team like that. I thought the guys really showed heart and guts.”

What does this do for your message to the team? “We’re still what we are but we’re 2-0 in the third quarter of the season. We hadn’t won a home game and that’s a pretty big thing when the message all season was we’ve got to win our home games and steal a couple on the road. To win a home game, and I don’t care who it was against, we needed to do it. You just need some positive results or otherwise you’re just talking into air. Today we saw some results and last week we saw some results, too.”

Your emotion on the sideline seemed very positive. It seemed like the team fed off of that: “I’ll take that as a compliment. I am a rookie head coach and am passionate about what I do. I live and die every day on how it goes with this team – not just game day but Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday…. It’s all I care about other than God and my family. When you care about someone there is going to be some emotion. It’s easy to be positive when good things are happening. I’m going to be me every day.”

Matt Cassel and the offense scored the last two times you touched the ball. Your thoughts on the QB? “Up and down day. We started slow again with three three-and-outs. Again, we’re inches short. We’ve got to start faster but I’ve got to hand it to [Cassel], the kid’s a fighter. He was really down when he turned the ball over but he bounced back and made some great plays. The touchdown throw to Jamaal was a phenomenal play because he got hit in the mouth as he was letting it go. I’d go to battle with him every day of the week. We’ve got to continue to be keep getting better.”

How about RB Jamaal Charles’ play today? “That run in overtime when he got hit, well, that was a hit now and he bounced off and came back. He’s making progress. He made a huge play for us to open the game. But we negated it by not getting much going early on and ended up being behind. But it wasn’t due to him. He’s another guy who’s worked hard, bought in, and wants to be part of something really good.”

How much fun is it going to be tonight to live a victory over the Steelers? “I wish Studebaker would have scored on the interception. That would have been full retribution [for last year’s Super Bowl]. I was thinking I’d finally be able to put that interception return away. My mom and dad are in town today. I know it means something to my dad [Dick Haley].”

Count Alex's Wins
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
He's clad in white like our lord jesus

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Huge win for Haley

it will help his locker cred quite a bit imo

-King-
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
During the game, was it me or was Haley calmer than usual? I didn't see him yelling at people and what not.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I love the comment about the INT.

It tells you he really wanted to beat Pittsburgh.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, it's hard not to like the guy. You can tell how much he cares about this team.

KCrockaholic
11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah, it's hard not to like the guy. You can tell how much he cares about this team.

LOL, I love your sig ROFL

You have to eat your words sometimes.

Bwana
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh and on a side note, if you didn't see the game, the game highlights are in there as well, a few links down.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/video/

the Talking Can
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
I am a total Haley fanboy. Even if he ultimately fails here. Somewhere he's going to be successful.

I think the guy is smart, honest, and nothing like the caricature that Whitlock and others have tried desperately to paint him as.

And so far, it is obvious that the players are still with him.

Reerun_KC
11-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I am a total Haley fanboy. Even if he ultimately fails here. Somewhere he's going to be successful.

I think the guy is smart, honest, and nothing like the caricature that Whitlock and others have tried desperately to paint him as.

This....

Haley is pissing off the haters each week....

Mecca probably killed himself today.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Me too. But I fucking hated the hire when it happened. I've loved it almost ever since though.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 07:36 PM

He's easy to like when one listens to his pressers. Still, his gameday decisions have left little to be desired.

That said, he seems like he's a smart enough guy to adjust and improve, but he still needs to do it.

Reerun_KC
11-22-2009, 07:39 PM
Me too. But I ****ing hated the hire when it happened. I've loved it almost ever since though.

I was thinking it was a WTF hire...

Now I think he will be better than anything we had in the last 25 years in KC...

He is the anti Herm and Marty...

Fruit Ninja
11-22-2009, 07:40 PM
We were all saying the Chiefs defense couldnt possibly stop them again at the end of the game and they did it. That shows the lb's he wanted gone were beneficial to the team overall. They didnt burn out even after giving up 500 yards. They still fought their ass off.

BigChiefFan
He's got players running through brick walls to improve their game. I believe Haley has got what it takes to be that up and coming Head Coach we've been looking for. Nice win, today. It was definitely won by the TEAM Concept.

Reerun_KC
He's easy to like when one listens to his pressers. Still, his gameday decisions have left little to be desired.

That said, he seems like he's a smart enough guy to adjust and improve, but he still needs to do it.

Yes he is doing it every week... Adjusting and the team is getting better...

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 07:41 PM

And so far, it is obvious that the players are still with him.Agreed.

Before kickoff, there was a shot of him clowning around ... It cracked me up. I made a comment about it in the game thread. (called him a goofy bastard)

I think maybe he's coming into his own. I told my buddy (after we laughed our asses off) "Lets hope he's got his team feeling the same way. Go have fun... nothing to lose." And I'll be damned if they didn't end up winning.

(Surely someone else caught Haley goofing around. It was, refreshing.)

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:41 PM

I agree completely and to me this is the difference between him and Herm.

Herm was not going to change, ever. Haley will work to figure it out. He knows he doesn't have all the answers right now.

Another reason I dont get the ego BS.

the Talking Can
11-22-2009, 07:42 PM

he's a rookie HC, trying to be an OC as well...he'll figure it out....not going to kill the guy who is going to battle with a NFL Europe squad in his first games ever...i expected it to be ugly

i am more concerned with how he manages the team, we haven't had anyone since Marty that could really instill a team with a sense of purpose, i think Haley is trying to do it...

plus, I just think he's smart and capable of learning...he knows when he screws up, and almost always says so...

Rooster
11-22-2009, 07:43 PM

We can only hope.

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree completely and to me this is the difference between him and Herm.

Herm was not going to change, ever. Haley will work to figure it out. He knows he doesn't have all the answers right now.

Another reason I dont get the ego BS.Haley doesn't pretend to know it all.

Even with all the complaints about them not talking to the media, Haley's much more honest and open than Herm ever was. Herm's a slick PR guy... Haley's just a football coach learning as he goes... I can respect that.

Reerun_KC
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Haley doesn't pretend to know it all.

Even with all the complaints about them not talking to the media, Haley's much more honest and open than Herm ever was. Herm's a slick PR guy... Haley's just a football coach learning as he goes... I can respect that.

Which is why it is easy to root for him to suceed... Herm already had all the answers, but weak shoulders to carry any of the blame...

TrickyNicky
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I was upset Cassel didn't say Suckoff again...

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
he's a rookie HC, trying to be an OC as well...he'll figure it out....not going to kill the guy who is going to battle with a NFL Europe squad in his first games ever...i expected it to be ugly

i am more concerned with how he manages the team, we haven't had anyone since Marty that could really instill a team with a sense of purpose, i think Haley is trying to do it...

plus, I just think he's smart and capable of learning...he knows when he screws up, and almost always says so...

I think he'll figure it out a heck of a lot faster when he stops trying to do too much.

Being the HC is challenging enough. Get some high-quality folks to help with other jobs. If, however, Haley insists on calling plays next year, I'm going to be pretty skeptical about his overall chances for real success (i.e. winning in the playoffs).

Just Passin' By
11-22-2009, 07:57 PM
This Chiefs team traded away its best receiver and, this season, doesn't have anything to show for it in return. It changed its defensive scheme, changed essentially the entire coaching staff and front office, Fired its O.C. just before the season began, and is playing a harder schedule than last season. Despite that, the team has more wins than last season with several games still to be played.

Congratulations Chiefs

the Talking Can
11-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I think he'll figure it out a heck of a lot faster when he stops trying to do too much.

Being the HC is challenging enough. Get some high-quality folks to help with other jobs. If, however, Haley insists on calling plays next year, I'm going to be pretty skeptical about his overall chances for real success (i.e. winning in the playoffs).

i agree, but his play calling in the 2nd half today was very good, i think he could eventually figure it out but now is really not the time...he talked about bringing someone in next year if it wasn't working out (when he first made the move), i don't think he was just saying it, I think he'll evaluate it and realize he needs an OC...but i think he is more pragmatic than he gets credit for, we'll see

JD10367
11-22-2009, 08:02 PM
This Chiefs team traded away its best receiver and, this season, doesn't have anything to show for it in return. It changed its defensive scheme, changed essentially the entire coaching staff and front office, Fired its O.C. just before the season began, and is playing a harder schedule than last season. Despite that, the team has more wins than last season with several games still to be played.

Congratulations Chiefs

And all with a shitty overpaid QB, according to most people.

Count Alex's Wins
11-22-2009, 08:11 PM
You know what was an absolutely brilliant playcall?

On third and 1 the option play with Castille and Charles.

Creative. Fresh.

The anti-Herm.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Creative. Fresh.

The anti-Herm.

That was good. I was suprised as was the Steeler defense.

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM

Creative. Fresh.

The anti-Herm.Yeah... that was cool.

memyselfI
11-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Ive got to hand it to [Cassel], the kids a fighter. He was really down when he turned the ball over but he bounced back and made some great plays. The touchdown throw to Jamaal was a phenomenal play because he got hit in the mouth as he was letting it go. Id go to battle with him every day of the week.

Money quote and the best thing I've heard from Haley.

Warrior5
11-22-2009, 08:35 PM
This....

Haley is pissing off the haters each week....

ROFL

KcMizzou
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Money quote and the best thing I've heard from Haley.Hard not to like that.

unlurking
11-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah... that was cool.
Just the fact that I could count the number of draw plays on one hand (and actually saw a play-action) made me happy today.

Sure-Oz
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM

He needs to def. get some coaches here to help him and trust them. He'll be much better off

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Just the fact that I could count the number of draw plays on one hand (and actually saw a play-action) made me happy today.

Cassel pump faked a couple times today and I about shit.

Shag
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM

He definitely needs to bring in an OC and QB coach next season. I would not be surprised if he kept playcalling duties, though. I'd prefer if he delegated that, but as long as he brings in an OC and QBC, I wouldn't be too upset if he was still calling plays...

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM
He definitely needs to bring in an OC and QB coach next season. I would not be surprised if he kept playcalling duties, though. I'd prefer if he delegated that, but as long as he brings in an OC and QBC, I wouldn't be too upset if he was still calling plays...

As a playcaller, I think he's very good. Always has been. I don't think he necessarily needs an OC playcaller. What he needs is a young OC who can help him put together some gameplans and who can keep him in check when he does something stupid. That's how Haley got his start in Arizona.

Red Beans
11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I like the fact that Haley accepts responsibility. For good or ill. It's a nice change from Herm. Haley seems like a real person whereas Herm seemed like a politician, he had that smiling veneer. Kissing babies and shaking hands while he really had no clue about what was really going on.

deadbabyseal
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
The floating head of Todd Haley in that video kinda scared me.

boogblaster
11-22-2009, 09:34 PM
He finally called some down-field passing plays .. guess what .. it works even for average teams ................

Bwana
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
The floating head of Todd Haley in that video kinda scared me.

ROFL

Yeh, old Todd did kind of wash into the backgound and had that whole Wizzard of Oz thing going on didn't he? If not for the CHIEFS logo on his shirt by his neck, he would have indeed been the talking head without a body. The kind of thing that makes little kids wake up in the middle of the night screaming for mommy.

KC-TBB
11-22-2009, 09:47 PM
after further review...WHAT A FUN FRICKEN GAME TO WATCH!

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
He's clad in white like our lord jesus

LMAO