PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defensive Playcalling Down the Stretch

ThaVirus
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I thought this deserved it's own thread. With the game so close at the end, I half expected us to go into our prevent defense and just let them march right down the field.. But they proved me wrong and kept the blitz up, and it obviously paid off. Kept Roethlisberger rattled and they just couldn't get anything going. I want to see more of that in the future... Also props to the players for actually GETTING pressure. Hali consistently, DJ with some great gut bull rushes, everybody just everybody!

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 07:13 PM
The defense is much,much better when it aggressive ... so is the offense.

i just want to see if our coaching staff has the talent and ability to run an aggressive game plan ALL game long.

notorious
11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
The defense is much,much better when it aggressive ... so is the offense.

i just want to see if our coaching staff has the talent and ability to run an aggressive game plan ALL game long.

After being on the field all game, they did play very well while being aggressive.

If you knock their Time of Possesion down to 30 minutes, we hold them to a respectable 345 yards.

RustShack
11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Wisenhunt was talking about how great their defense is becoming now that they have a good DC.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Wisenhunt was talking about how great their defense is becoming now that they have a good DC.

And what does that have to do with today's play calling?

notorious
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Zona's old D-Coordinator is our new D-Coor.

He pretty much sucks balls, but didn't do bad late in this game.

RustShack
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Maybe Haley took them over too. :)

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
After being on the field all game, they did play very well while being aggressive.

If you knock their Time of Possesion down to 30 minutes, we hold them to a respectable 345 yards.
when the defense blitzes and get pressure it makes everything else better.

when the offense throws the ball down the field some it opens things up and makes everything else better.

we just need to be able to have a complete game instead of coaching scared for the first 3 quarters.

philfree
11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
We hit with some blitz calls today. Penagrass made a few good calls today. :clap:

PhilFree:arrow:

notorious
11-22-2009, 07:24 PM
when the defense blitzes and get pressure it makes everything else better.

when the offense throws the ball down the field some it opens things up and makes everything else better.

we just need to be able to have a complete game instead of coaching scared for the first 3 quarters.

Yep, notice that the running game got a little breathing room when the ball went downfield?

Even us lowly CP posters understand the importance of passing the ball deep to help other aspects of the offense, even if they end up incomplete or picked.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Zona's old D-Coordinator is our new D-Coor.

He pretty much sucks balls, but didn't do bad late in this game.

I know who he is. Still has nothing to do with this thread.

notorious
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I know who he is. Still has nothing to do with this thread.

Sorry, man, my Sarcasm meter is down.

Full system overload with the win today.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry, man, my Sarcasm meter is down.

Full system overload with the win today.

Nothing wrong with that!:D

Coach
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Hey, they gave up 17 points in the first half. Only gave up 7 in the 2nd and OT combined.

The defense have done a great job in the 2nd half. Hate to see that we're getting killed on the passing game, but the run defense, for the most part, did a great job today, IMHO.

The Chiefs won 3 games, compared to last year's 2. That's improvement, any way you want to slice it.

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Hey, they gave up 17 points in the first half. Only gave up 7 in the 2nd and OT combined.

The defense have done a great job in the 2nd half. Hate to see that we're getting killed on the passing game, but the run defense, for the most part, did a great job today, IMHO.

The Chiefs won 3 games, compared to last year's 2. That's improvement, any way you want to slice it.

22 off the street should be a dead saying now, thank God.

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 08:09 PM
when the defense blitzes and get pressure it makes everything else better.Blitzing is sort of like going for it on 4th down: everybody loves it when it works.

unlurking
11-22-2009, 08:13 PM
22 off the street should be a dead saying now, thank God.
Nah, it should be a battle cry!

;)

Marcellus
11-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Blitzing is sort of like going for it on 4th down: everybody loves it when it works.

Yea we have all out blitzed several times this year and got spanked for it.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Blitzing is sort of like going for it on 4th down: everybody loves it when it works.
lots of quality defenses blitz quite a bit.

the key is to disguise the blitzes well and not use the same one all the time. You also want to zone blitz where you still only send 4/5 players but you just overload one side.

i just want us to blitz some early so we don't have to blitz every freakin down late. :)

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Yea we have all out blitzed several times this year and got spanked for it.
nobody said we have to "all out" blitz

smart blitzing is great ... especially against crappy QB's like Russell.

Oxford
11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Nah, it should be a battle cry!
;)

Should put a large sign up in the locker room