PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Yes or No. Defense fixed?

googlegoogle
11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
yes. Maybe need one more player.

Count Zarth
11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
We gave up 515 yards doofus.

Bugeater
11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes, everything is fixed. To the motherfucking ship.

Bane
11-22-2009, 08:37 PM
Getting better maybe,well see around week 10 next year.

chiefs1111
the defense is far from being fixed

Sure-Oz
Hell no, not even close

Brock
wtf

BillSelfsTrophycase
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
No

Ari Chi3fs
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
it will be fixed if we get a good defensive coordinator maybe...

el borracho
11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Fixed? No, we still need a legit NT, four linebackers and at least one safety.

Reerun_KC
11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
It will require a Crennell or Phillips before its even started to become fixed...

KCinNY
11-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Yep it's fixed. They're practically the '85 Bears.

Print 'em.

Mr. Kotter
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
:spock:

You've got to be kidding right???

:shake:

CaliforniaChief
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Credit to them for holding them off when it mattered, but no. Still broken.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Motherfuck...:doh!:LMAO

Bane
11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Mother****...:doh!:LMAO

Come on now,we have to be close to tops in the league now right?ROFL

Coach
11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
To be fair, the passing game, the Chiefs got killed.

The running game, however, the Chiefs did well against it.

31 carries for 114 yards. That translates to a 3.7 YPC.

ArrowheadMagic
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
fuck yes this needs a thread.

SNR
11-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Add two safeties, 3 new starting LBs, and a NT, then get back to me.

Oh, and fire Pendergast and Krumrie

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM

That would be a nice start

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
No.

I do not believe our D has been neutered, but I'll let someone else lift its leg.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2009, 08:58 PM

We could get 4 of those 6 with the first 4 picks in this year's draft. Its a defensive goldmine this year.

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 09:02 PM

That's a little drastic. The Chiefs need a NT, a pass-rushing OLB, and one playmaker at Safety.

It would be nice to have superstars at every single position. But that doesn't happen overnight. If the Chiefs get those three positions playing well, the Chiefs will be significantly better. The two ILBs and the 2nd Safety are role players more than they are difference-makers. You can still field a decent defense without stellar talent at those two positions.

Pendergast needs to be fired. I don't think Krumrie's been as bad as people say. He's had a lot of young, raw talent to work with and many with no talent whatsoever. I actually think he's better suited to coach 3-4 D-linemen than 4-3.

DeezNutz
11-22-2009, 09:03 PM
That's a little drastic. The Chiefs need a NT, a pass-rushing OLB, and one playmaker at Safety.

It would be nice to have superstars at every single position. But that doesn't happen overnight. If the Chiefs get those three positions playing well, the Chiefs will be significantly better. The two ILBs and the 2nd Safety are role players more than they are difference-makers. You can still field a decent defense without stellar talent at those two positions.

Pendergast needs to be fired. I don't think Krumrie's been as bad as people say. He's had a lot of young, raw talent to work with and many with no talent whatsoever. I actually think he's better suited to coach 3-4 D-linemen than 4-3.

That's a little drastic, you say? But then list the two most coveted (and thus hardest to find) positions in the 3-4?

milkman
11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
We could get 4 of those 6 with the first 4 picks in this year's draft. Its a defensive goldmine this year.

The problem is, we still need O-Linmen, so it might not be practical to get four of those with the first four picks.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Come on now,we have to be close to tops in the league now right?ROFL

"Oh 'bout 85%"! "85%"! :rolleyes:

I don't mind taking my lumps for being a critic, but all across the threads, the ammo being used for tweaking has gone from "legitimate" to "full and utter retard" in a span of hours.

The Chiefs win one truly great and legitimate game, fight hard and with guts, and suddenly Jesus has parted the sky on a white fucking horse?!

I mean fuck; have fun, say stupid shit tonight all you like, but get a fucking grip people.

notorious
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
I believe we need a lot more talent and new coaches on the Defensive side of the ball BUUUUUUTTTT:

If our offense does their part and holds onto the ball for 30 minutes in the time of possession, the adjusted yardage yielded is 345 total.

Not to shabby against the champs on a decent weather day.

I am trying to polish a turd, but it wasn't as bad as the boxscore indicated.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
The problem is, we still need O-Linmen, so it might not be practical to get four of those with the first four picks.

Just got to see how the draft plays out. But I think their are a couple of guys who will be available in the 4th and 5th that can help out our O-Line. I think somebody like Kyle Calloway from Iowa or Jon Asamoah from Illinois will be available when we pick in those rounds.

Mr. Laz
11-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Nah ... not really even close tbh

1. pass rush doesn't come naturally at all
2. Linebackers can't tackle for shite
3. Linebackers can't cover for shite
4. Safeties are barely good enough to see an NFL field
5. Carr gets lost .... alot.
6. NT still doesn't control the middle
7. Penderass shouldn't be our D coord

The middle of our defense is just soft NT,LB,Safety

Iowanian
11-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Other than a NT, a an OLB, another OLB who can pass rush 2 legit interior LBs and 2 safeties and a DC.............yeah, it's fixed just fine.

Psyko Tek
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
oh they looked good today
saw flashes of great but
fixed
no

but moving in the right direction

keg in kc
11-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Maybe. If by "fixed" you mean "neutered".

milkman
11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Just got to see how the draft plays out. But I think their are a couple of guys who will be available in the 4th and 5th that can help out our O-Line. I think somebody like Kyle Calloway from Iowa or Jon Asamoah from Illinois will be available when we pick in those rounds.

But like I keep saying, if Kris O'Dowd is sitting there at Atlanta's pick, and Jason Fox is sitting there in the third, I'd be hard pressed to pass on them.

Especially O'Dowd.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 09:19 PM
oh they looked good today
saw flashes of great but
fixed
no

but moving in the right direction

The effort is absolutely "there".

The talent is absolutely not.

ChiefsCountry
11-22-2009, 09:20 PM
But like I keep saying, if Kris O'Dowd is sitting there at Atlanta's pick, and Jason Fox is sitting there in the third, I'd be hard pressed to pass on them.

Especially O'Dowd.

No compliants from me on either one of them.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Especially O'Dowd.

O'Dowd would immediately change this o-line

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 09:26 PM
That's a little drastic, you say? But then list the two most coveted (and thus hardest to find) positions in the 3-4?

Meh. Like any defense, you have to crawl/walk/run. Fixing those gaps is not difficult. You can find good Safeties toward the end of the first day, early second and they'd likely be a huge upgrade to Brown and McGraw. At Nose Tackle, it's not as difficult to find as people suggest. If it was so difficult to find, you'd see 3-4 defenses placing immense positional value on the position. It just so happens that most teams don't actively look for Nose Tackles because they already have one on their roster that they won't let go. OLB is a little bit more tricky. I'm not convinced that with Hali in there that it's a huge priority.

Point being, to "fix" the defense, it won't take that long. To make the defense very good, it'll probably be another 2 years as we try to eek in a few playmakers at positions like Safety and OLB.

OnTheWarpath58
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM
O'Dowd would immediately change this o-line

Speaking of changing the OL, I don't think it's a coincidence that pass protection was the best it's been all year, while Wade Smith was playing RG.

DumbHillbillies
11-22-2009, 09:28 PM

+ servicable backup corner

chiefzilla1501
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Nah ... not really even close tbh

1. pass rush doesn't come naturally at all
2. Linebackers can't tackle for shite
3. Linebackers can't cover for shite
4. Safeties are barely good enough to see an NFL field
5. Carr gets lost .... alot.
6. NT still doesn't control the middle
7. Penderass shouldn't be our D coord

The middle of our defense is just soft NT,LB,Safety

The middle of the defense will become significantly less soft if we had a NT that did his job. Edwards gets ZERO push up the middle. He should be driving that pile into the QB on the pass rush--I never see that. You get better play out of the NT, then Hali becomes much better because the QB is contained to a much smaller space. Your ILBs play a lot better because the NT is keeping blockers off of them.

And as we see progress from Dorsey and Jackson (I hope), then that goes to make the OLBs a hell of a lot better too.

Bringing in a NT and getting progress from Dorsey/Jackson will lead to major improvements for the D. Not enough to dominate, but it will get us significant improvement.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Speaking of changing the OL, I don't think it's a coincidence that pass protection was the best it's been all year, while Wade Smith was playing RG.

Nope.

I don't know if you've seen my posts but I've been railing for the Chiefs to have Wade Smith on the line anywhere for weeks on end.

Left guard, center, right guard, right tackle: He's FAR too athletic and smart to be sitting on the bench.

OnTheWarpath58
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Nope.

I don't know if you've seen my posts but I've been railing for the Chiefs to have Wade Smith on the line anywhere for weeks on end.

Left guard, center, right guard, right tackle: He's FAR too athletic and smart to be sitting on the bench.

Yeah, I've seen them, and agree 100%

Unfortunately, it has taken two injuries for him to see the field.

DaneMcCloud
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I've seen them, and agree 100%

Unfortunately, it has taken two injuries for him to see the field.

I just hope that next year, Albert, Harris, Brown and Smith make it through training camp healthy because with a new center, I think that line allows Cassel more than adequate protection.

Only time will tell.

Bearcat
11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Sometimes I just pretend it's a Demonpenz thread.... because the alternative is too painful to think about.

LMAO

DaWolf
11-22-2009, 10:50 PM
yes. Maybe need one more player.

Is that you Herm?

Chris Meck
11-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Dear lord, if we wait until the 4th or 5th round to address the offensive line, I will flip the f*** out. The number ONE most GLARING weakness on the entire squad is how utterly ridiculously terrible the offensive line play is. We need a center, two guards and a RT. TWO GUARDS, as Waters is DONE. Finished. He's as bad as anyone else out there. LOUSY. He gets stuffed backwards by anyone across from him almost EVERY play. Terrible.

Unless we go find all those players in free agency, we'd better address those spots a little earlier than where one might expect to find a special teams player.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Dear lord, if we wait until the 4th or 5th round to address the offensive line, I will flip the f*** out. The number ONE most GLARING weakness on the entire squad is how utterly ridiculously terrible the offensive line play is. We need a center, two guards and a RT. TWO GUARDS, as Waters is DONE. Finished. He's as bad as anyone else out there. LOUSY. He gets stuffed backwards by anyone across from him almost EVERY play. Terrible.

Unless we go find all those players in free agency, we'd better address those spots a little earlier than where one might expect to find a special teams player.

Until today when I started seeing some good LB play, I was not for using the two 2's on O-line.
Now, I could get behind that move or at least using one of them to draft an O-lineman in a heavily defensive draft class.

So Berry,
Lineman,
then do whatever you please.
( maybe a kick ass blocking Fullback? )

Direckshun
11-22-2009, 11:16 PM
In my opinion:

1. We need a new starting nose.
2. We need at least one more good-to-great CB, and a stud safety.
3. We need to completely rebuild our LB corps.

The good news is that this is fixable:

1. Get a nose early in this year's draft.
2. Get Berry this year, and a corner with a high pick, like a 3rd, next year to push Carr.
3. Spend two draft picks every year for the next three years on LBs. This can be done any number of ways. Here's one: 2010: OLB with our 4th, OLB with a 5th. 2011: OLB with our 2nd, ILB with our 4th abd 7th. 2012: OLB with our 1st, ILB with our 3rd.That would give us a lineup of something like this by 2012:

DE: Dorsey, Magee
NT: 2010 2nd, Edwards
DE: Jackson, Gilberry

OLB: 2012 1st, 2010 4th
ILB: Williams, 2012 3rd
ILB: 2011 4th, 2011 7th
OLB: Hali, 2011 2nd, 2010 5th

CB: Flowers, Carr, 2011 3rd, Washington, Leggett
S: Berry, Morgan, Page, McGraw

Just an idea. It'd take a year to gel, but that's a pretty good run defense and a beastly passrush by 2013.

SNR
11-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Until today when I started seeing some good LB play, I was not for using the two 2's on O-line.
Now, I could get behind that move or at least using one of them to draft an O-lineman in a heavily defensive draft class.

So Berry,
Lineman,
then do whatever you please.
( maybe a kick ass blocking Fullback? )Nah. Let's go Herm and piss the picks away on TEs.

DBOSHO
11-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Berry, nosetackle, at least 1 reciever, and the rest on oline.

Tylerthigpen!1!
11-22-2009, 11:24 PM
berry? i think we just lost the position to draft him. we still have winnable games left too.

DBOSHO
11-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Who else needs a safety that will be ahead of us?

And im betting one of the two safeties(mays) will be there when we are on the board.

Raised On Riots
11-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Nah. Let's go Herm and piss the picks away on TEs.

Aye-aye Capn'!

http://runstop.de/segue02.jpg

I can't see us NOT making a grab for Berry. I mean COME ON; even Pioli has GOT to see how sloppy( and not long for the league in Mike Brown ) our Safety situation is.

KCChiefsMan
11-23-2009, 01:39 AM
Big Ben passed for 400 yards and they were moving the ball at will for the majority of the game

Jethopper
11-23-2009, 03:55 AM
In my opinion:

2. Get Berry this year, and a corner with a high pick, like a 3rd, next year to push Carr.
3. Spend two draft picks every year for the next three years on LBs. This can be done any number of ways. Here's one: 2010: OLB with our 4th, OLB with a 5th. 2011: OLB with our 2nd, ILB with our 4th abd 7th. 2012: OLB with our 1st, ILB with our 3rd.That would give us a lineup of something like this by 2012:

Just an idea. It'd take a year to gel, but that's a pretty good run defense and a beastly passrush by 2013.

Yes, because taking the best player at those slots is silly......

Warrior5
11-23-2009, 04:28 AM
Big Ben passed for 400 yards and they were moving the ball at will for the majority of the game

This. Ben didn't have dirt on his jersey until the 4th. As with every game, opposing QBs have little/no pressure on them. It's utterly ridiculous. You ain't fixing that with 1 player.

Direckshun
11-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Yes, because taking the best player at those slots is silly......

I'm just giving hypotheticals.

beach tribe
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
"DuRRhuh!!"***mouth breathing****

beach tribe
11-23-2009, 08:43 AM
In my opinion:

I think Wilfork is comin to town. Just a hunch.

Lzen
11-23-2009, 08:54 AM

NT I would agree but 4 LBers? IMO, Mayes and Vrabel are pretty good. Mayes makes mistakes here and there, but he also seems to be around the ball a lot. I think he is a keeper. With some good coaching, I think he can become a very good to great LBer. Vrabel, when healthy, is a decent player. Although his age may become a factor very soon. Hali has done a decent job converting from a DE, but he still has some things to learn. The jury is still out on him, IMO. Yes, he still has a lot to improve. But he has done a decent job a putting pressure on the QB.

I really wish DJ would pull his head out of his butt. He is the most gifted LBer we have. If he could learn the fundamentals of his position, he would make a huge difference. It's a shame that Gun couldn't coach him better. He was a LBer coach with the Titans before coming back to the Chiefs. WTF happened?

Dayze
11-23-2009, 08:54 AM
no.
signs of improvement, but 'fixed'...not even close.
Only guy I see playing at a consistent level is FLowers.

Fish
11-23-2009, 09:04 AM
This season, every win we get drops the collective fan intelligence level about 10 points....

ChiTown
11-23-2009, 09:06 AM
This season, every win we get drops the collective fan intelligence level about 10 points....

This times a Kabillion

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
This times a Kabillion

Eleventy kabillion?

:hmmm:

Direckshun
11-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Eleventy kabillion?

:hmmm:

How many is a Brazilian?

Lzen
11-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Really, the collective level? Did you read the thread comments? Most people say this thread starter is moronic, at best.

Iowanian
11-23-2009, 09:48 AM
How many is a Brazilian?

It's None.

Fish
11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Really, the collective level? Did you read the thread comments? Most people say this thread starter is moronic, at best.

The people arguing in this thread aren't who I'm talking about. For each of those fellas, there are about 500 other drooling buffoons who are ready to crown the Chiefs today. Sometimes it really amazes me how little the average fan actually knows about football. Yesterday was an amazing game, and I had a very very good time watching it. But I also recognize how far we have left to go. The Steelers has 500+ yards of offense yesterday. Over 400 yards through the air. They averaged over 9 yards per pass. Seriously. Steelers doubled our TOP, 44min to 22min.

Despite all that, I've heard countless people declaring all woes are fixed, Haley for president, and other such nonsense. The attitude of the thread starter is absolutely the norm.

philfree
11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
No it is not fixed.

PhilFree:arrow:

Raised On Riots
11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
The people arguing in this thread aren't who I'm talking about. For each of those fellas, there are about 500 other drooling buffoons who are ready to crown the Chiefs today. Sometimes it really amazes me how little the average fan actually knows about football. Yesterday was an amazing game, and I had a very very good time watching it. But I also recognize how far we have left to go. The Steelers has 500+ yards of offense yesterday. Over 400 yards through the air. They averaged over 9 yards per pass. Seriously. Steelers doubled our TOP, 44min to 22min.

Despite all that, I've heard countless people declaring all woes are fixed, Haley for president, and other such nonsense. The attitude of the thread starter is absolutely the norm.

But...but...nothing.
This.

googlegoogle
11-23-2009, 01:51 PM
rush defense?