PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft New draft order from GBN

Coogs
11-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Browns lose, win shootout ... Cleveland finally found some offense in Detroit this afternoon scoring 38 points against the Lions in a battle of 1-8 teams. It wasn't enough, though, as Detroit rookie QB Matt Stafford hit rookie TE Brandon Pettigrew with a 1-yard scoring pass with no time on the clock to give the Lions a 39-38 victory. The silver lining for the Browns is that Cleveland will be sitting on the #1 overall pick in the proverbial 'if the draft were held today' first-round selection order for the 2010 draft. Cleveland abd St. Louis entered the weekend tied for the #1 pick were the draft held today, however, the Rams collective opponents have had a better weekend than those of the Browns. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay would have the third pick if the draft were held today followed by Detrot. And upset wins by Kansas City, over defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh, and Oakland, over Cincinnati, have jumbled the rest of the top 10. Indeed, Seattle would have the 5th pick overall if the draft were held today, followed by Buffalo, Washington, Kansas City and Oakland. As usual, We'll be posting the final 2010 first round selection order once the weekend's action is concluded Monday night.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Honestly, picking in the 5-10 range would not be terrible.

Berry or Mays should be there when we pick.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-23-2009, 08:55 AM
I think I said between 10th and 12th originally. I think the Chiefs have another win on their schedule with the Browns. And, they have a good shot in both of the Broncos games, and against the Bills.

They could end up falling to the middle of the first round....

philfree
11-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Honestly, picking in the 5-10 range would not be terrible.

Berry or Mays should be there when we pick.

I like picking in the 2nd five better then the first five. There's just more options and a better possibility of trading down if we desire.

PhilFree:arrow:

Cosmos
11-23-2009, 09:02 AM
If we are picking 5-10, LB McLain/ OT Williams would be nice picks.

Marco Polo
11-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I have no problem if we can continue to win. Worse case scenario we will be in the middle of the draft. If that worse case scenario happens, then that means we are progressing as a team/organization. So really, that's best case scenario.

CaliforniaChief
11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
I have no problem if we can continue to win. Worse case scenario we will be in the middle of the draft. If that worse case scenario happens, then that means we are progressing as a team/organization. So really, that's best case scenario.

Exactly. Franchises always seem to do better when they don't have to spend $30 million in guarantees on a player who's never played one NFL snap, at least when they aren't drafting a QB. I'd rather win 3-4 more games this year than go into the tank and draft high, that's for sure.

KC kid
11-23-2009, 09:30 AM
the lower in the first round we go, the better. We need some cheaper first round picks.

the Talking Can
11-23-2009, 09:31 AM
the lower in the first round we go, the better. We need some cheaper first round picks.

why?

Dayze
11-23-2009, 09:31 AM
get out of the top 5, IMO.
as others have mentioned, it's less expensive for potential trade partners to trade up. And honestly, we need so much help I wouldn't mind atttempting to get out of the 1st all together.

won't happen; so if we can pick around 8-10 I'm good.

cookster50
11-23-2009, 09:43 AM

All right!!!! Clark Hunt posts on CP!!!!

Chiefnj2
11-23-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't care about being in the top 4 in the first round, but I think falling to 7 or 8 will hurt KC in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Does it matter? Our best player was selected dead last. Who knew?

Coogs
11-23-2009, 10:09 AM

THIS

Shaking the losing mentality becomes paramount at some point. Winning games down the stretch makes KC a more attractive option for FA's as well.

ChiefsCountry
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Since we are in full rebuild mode I would rather be in the top 5 in all rounds. You guys who don't want to be in the top 5 in the first are puzzling, thats where the stud players are. We need stud players. Now in 2011 or 2012 and we are picking in the top 5 I will be bitching but this year nope.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2009, 10:15 AM
as others have mentioned, it's less expensive for potential trade partners to trade up. And honestly, we need so much help I wouldn't mind atttempting to get out of the 1st all together.

What? Why in the hell would you want to get out of the first round? This team needs playmakers. Instant playmakers.

Good lord.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
i want to stay in the top 10 ... but we really need to win to try and remove the losing stench on the organization and make it more appealing to free agents.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Since we are in full rebuild mode I would rather be in the top 5 in all rounds. You guys who don't want to be in the top 5 in the first are puzzling, thats where the stud players are. We need stud players. Now in 2011 or 2012 and we are picking in the top 5 I will be bitching but this year nope.

I just want Russell Okung off the board. I don't think the Chiefs would take Berry in the top 5 for some reason.

Being in the 6-10 range should guarantee a shot at least at Berry or Mays.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm.gif

ChiefsCountry
11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I just want Russell Okung off the board. I don't think the Chiefs would take Berry in the top 5 for some reason.

Being in the 6-10 range should guarantee a shot at least at Berry or Mays.

I would be fine with that. :clap:

Dayze
11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
What? Why in the hell would you want to get out of the first round? This team needs playmakers. Instant playmakers.

Good lord.

I'd certainly want to trade down if we're at 10 and Berry/Mays are gone; still have a 1st, and pick up an additional 2nd and 3rd most likely.

siberian khatru
11-23-2009, 10:29 AM

Good lord.

Depth! Depth wins Super Bowls!

Right, Marty?

SenselessChiefsFan
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Drafts are a crapshoot. Can't miss prospects miss all the time....even the great 'Mecca' has proved fallible.

There are tons of great players in every draft, the key is finding them. It also keeps them from tying up too much cap space to a guy that has never played on the NFL level.

You mention all the studs..... well, frankly, there are as many top five duds as studs, unfortunately.

This also will allow the Chiefs to trade the pick away easier, and drop a little lower in the draft.

And, IF the Chiefs feel like there is someone they really want, they can always trade up to get him.

Last year, I wanted Stafford. He was the one guy that I wanted, so losing was a blessing, but the Chiefs didn't get him. They got Tyson Jackson. Perhaps a very good player, but not whom I hoped they would be able to get.

This year, I would love to get Berry. But, there are no guarantees. And, Mays will be available around 12 most likely. So, the Chiefs get a very good safety and still get to experience winning, and build their confidence.

Dayze
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm.gif

:D
It all depends on where we're drafting initially.
if we're at #15 and Mays/berry are gone...I'd trade out of the first completely - as that would most likely mean picks this year and possible a 1st next year. the talent from 13-32 isn't the same as the top 5-8 etc (DJ, Bowe, LJ, Freeman, Siavii) etc. I mean, there are good players there an all, but nothing amazing - and certainly nothing you couldn't get in the 2nd.

if we're drafting at 5...well, no....I don't want to trade out completely.

I may have worded my prev. post poorly.

Coogs
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
:D
It all depends on where we're drafting initially.
if we're at #15 and Mays/berry are gone...I'd trade out of the first completely - as that would most likely mean picks this year and possible a 1st next year. the talent from 13-32 isn't the same as the top 5-8 etc (DJ, Bowe, LJ, Freeman, Siavii) etc. I mean, there are good players there an all, but nothing amazing - and certainly nothing you couldn't get in the 2nd.

if we're drafting at 5...well, no....I don't want to trade out completely.

I may have worded my prev. post poorly.

If we wind up around 15, I could really see the Cody pick. And I would not mind that choice around that time in the draft. Top five is way early for him IMO. 15 about right.

Dayze
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
If we wind up around 15, I could really see the Cody pick. And I would not mind that choice around that time in the draft. Top five is way early for him IMO. 15 about right.

Yeah, believe me – I’m not one of these people who think “let’s trade down” simply for the sake of trading down. But, if during the draft prep/evaluation Pioli etc sees that after X player at Y slot in the draft the talent disparity isn’t that great….then fine. Trade.

IMO, if we’re in the top 10….the only players I’d target would be the play makers; Berry & Mays (combine/evaluation withstanding etc). if they’re gone, I’d rather trade down a bit; still get 1st round talent at positions of need or even BPA AND acquire additional picks in the same draft.