PDA

View Full Version : Life How much do you spend on clothing?

El Jefe
11-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Spinoff of my jewelery thread last week, I'm curious to see how debonair fellow CP'ers are. I work in a transmission shop monday-friday, so Friday night to Sunday are the only days I really get to "dress up" so to speak. I like to wear button down shirts and jeans or khaki's when I go out. I wear suits to Church on sunday. My suits are nice IMO but really wouldn't be considered expensive to most. I have a couple really nice button down shirts that were South of 100 bucks a piece. I really just stay in the middle, I dont buy cheap clothes, but I dont buy fitted either. I was curious to see those who spend the money to stay up on the changing clothes fads. I know Ed Hardy was big a while ago and those shirts were expensive. A girl that goes to my church probably spends 200 bucks a week on clothing.

I guess I could even throw in shoes, and unique or specialty clothing. I have a couple buddies I play ball with who have a new pair of Jordan's every other week, and they aren't knockoffs. We have a customer who works at a Mens Wearhouse and he has some sick custom fitted suits. He always is rocking some fresh dress shoes, of course he gets them at a discount, but he has a pretty slick pair of Gator shoes.

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
In the past 6 years, no more than 800 bucks. (It helps that the Army pays for all of my work clothes). Thats why I get clothes for gifts, I am still wearing the same pair of sandles from 2005. Those are some comfy sandles.

Oh and the wife loves to see me in brand new shoes. So she buys those.

Simply Red
11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
it's not pretty.

Rooster
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Zero... Commando ain't just a game on Nintendo.

Jilly
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm a girl, but don't spend much on clothes. I'd say maybe $25 every two months on average. I generally have two splurges...one when it starts getting colder and one when it starts getting warmer. But I use extra money, like from a wedding I did or a bonus or something. I rarely buy shoes. I can't stand wearing shoes. I have a few pairs of heels, black, brown, and fuschia, two pairs tennies, a pair of heeled boots and a pair of just regular type black boots that are freaking awesome, and that's about it besides my collection of $3 flip flops.

sedated
11-23-2009, 10:40 AM
very little.

if something tears or gets ruined, I replace it.

Count Alex's Losses
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I bought a $100 pair of shoes and felt ostentatious. Especially since they were marked down 25 percent.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
well since I wear a suit and tie everyday for work.......lets just say it gets real expensive.

Stewie
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I probably spend more than most people, but my nice work clothes have to be tailored since I'm bigger/taller than average. I can't go to Kohl's or Penney's and buy off the rack. It kind of sucks but the quality is first rate (it better be for $60 - $80 slacks "on sale"). I can buy jeans off the rack since there's a much wider range of sizes.

ChiTown
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
"Does 'tent-ware' count?"

jwhit

Jilly
11-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I probably spend more than most people, but my nice work clothes have to be tailored since I'm bigger/taller than average. I can't go to Kohl's or Penney's and buy off the rack. It kind of sucks but the quality is first rate (it better be for $60 - $80 slacks "on sale"). I can buy jeans off the rack since there's a much wider range of sizes.

Kohl's totally sucks that way for men.

seclark
11-23-2009, 10:57 AM
all i wear is jeans, tshirts, and sweatshirts. the wife buys anything i wear to church, weddings, funerals (and some parties...but we fight, and she wins)

around $50 for jeans. if i pay more than $30 for a shirt, it better have a number and logo on it.
sec

Demonpenz
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
probably 50 bucks a week or so. you can't wear the same shirt out the power and light two days in a row.

El Jefe
11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
well since I wear a suit and tie everyday for work.......lets just say it gets real expensive.

Ahh yeah you had quite an extensive knowledge on watches also If IIRC. What kind of suits do you prefer label wise?

El Jefe
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Interesting, just how big are you? Im almost 6'6 and about 260lbs and dont have a problem finding clothes that fit at JCpennies. Sometimes they dont have the XLT though in the shirts and that can be a problem.

ChiTown
11-23-2009, 01:40 PM

Suit and Tie every day? Banking or Mortuary Services?:D

Stewie
11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Interesting, just how big are you? Im almost 6'6 and about 260lbs and dont have a problem finding clothes that fit at JCpennies. Sometimes they dont have the XLT though in the shirts and that can be a problem.

The maximum inseam they carry is 34" unless you're skinny. I need 36".

GoHuge
11-23-2009, 01:49 PM
Well when I had to put together my work wardrobe that was expensive as hell at 23-24. I also am a fan of nice clothes. I'm 6' and weigh 180 and have a pretty athletic build. I buy my clothes at Banana Republic, Express, and Jos A. Bank (they have their once a year one day everything is half off sale). The shirts fit me perfect and Express Jeans and slacks fit really well for me. I just don't mess with other stores because I know my size at those places and it fits my style and build perfectly. If you pay attention Banana drops their prices by more than half on stuff when the new season stuff comes out. They've got better sale prices than anyone on anything from graphic tees to suits. I'll pay $50-80 on jeans and button-up shirts. I've probably got my long sleeve button-up shirt collection up to about 50-60. Haven't bought either one in two years. Got more than enough shit. I'll buy a couple new hoodies and T-shirts if I see something I like.

Buddy Rich
11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I just dropped $200 on a handmade codpiece.

Bearcat
11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
A girl that goes to my church probably spends 200 bucks a week on clothing.

:eek:

What I spend in rent + a car payment + clothes comes out to about $200/week. :doh!:

I telecommute, and the office is casual, so it doesn't matter anyway... and as far as going out, I'm just not that guy, and never will be. Spending two hundred bucks a week on clothing sounds so incredibly ridiculous to me, that I can't begin to understand why someone would need to do that... but if it floats their boat... :shrug:

Der Flöprer
11-23-2009, 02:04 PM
:eek:

What I spend in rent + a car payment + clothes comes out to about $200/week. :doh!:

I telecommute, and the office is casual, so it doesn't matter anyway... and as far as going out, I'm just not that guy, and never will be. Spending two hundred bucks a week on clothing sounds so incredibly ridiculous to me, that I can't begin to understand why someone would need to do that... but if it floats their boat... :shrug:

Christ. I pay $1000 a month to rent a 1 bedroom apartment. It's not nice either, it's just Seattle.

I'm a simple man and don't require much. I definitely don't spend money on clothes to supplement my self esteem. I make sure I look good, but I find bargains, and don't buy until I do find bargains. I have name brand clothes, but I get them at huge discounts by buying at Burlington Coat Factory, and other discounted retailers.

I won't pay sticker price on anything. Including food. I shop at 5 different grocery stores every week and buy the stuff that is truly on sale.

Being such a miser is sometimes stressful, but I'll take that stress over the stress of wondering how I'm going to pay my bills or cover some catastrophe that's happened any day of the week.

Bearcat
11-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Christ. I pay $1000 a month to rent a 1 bedroom apartment. It's not nice either, it's just Seattle.

I'm a simple man and don't require much. I definitely don't spend money on clothes to supplement my self esteem. I make sure I look good, but I find bargains, and don't buy until I do find bargains. I have name brand clothes, but I get them at huge discounts by buying at Burlington Coat Factory, and other discounted retailers.

I won't pay sticker price on anything. Including food. I shop at 5 different grocery stores every week and buy the stuff that is truly on sale.

Being such a miser is sometimes stressful, but I'll take that stress over the stress of wondering how I'm going to pay my bills or cover some catastrophe that's happened any day of the week.

I split rent on a 2 bedroom house that's $700/month total, but I also make a Midwest salary, too... spending $200/week on clothing in Ohio is probably about the same as spending $200/week in KC, or $300-400(?)/week in Seattle.

I'm just too low maintenance to care whether or not someone else is impressed with my clothing, and like you said, I think there is definitely a self-esteem factor that comes into play... then again, I don't even go very far to make sure I look good, so that's probably a self esteem issue, too... heh.

Fruit Ninja
11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Little to nothing. Just wear baggy jeans, white Tshirts and my Vans or Chuck Taylors. Its all i need. When i was younger i used to buy them 100 dollar Nikes and what not, but i wouldnt do that anymore.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Ahh yeah you had quite an extensive knowledge on watches also If IIRC. What kind of suits do you prefer label wise?

I tend to like Banana Republic. They have good quality without spending a ton. You can get a tailored fit without the thousand dollar price tag. They are for more everyday type wear. If I am going bigger than that, I like Ralph Lauren Black Label.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Suit and Tie every day? Banking or Mortuary Services?:D

Neither.......thank God

Jilly
11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
I tend to like Banana Republic. They have good quality without spending a ton. You can get a tailored fit without the thousand dollar price tag. They are for more everyday type wear. If I am going bigger than that, I like Ralph Lauren Black Label.

I think their prices are crazy. But I'm not a big label person. They have nice clothes and they last a long time, but it's not worth it to me.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I think their prices are crazy. But I'm not a big label person. They have nice clothes and they last a long time, but it's not worth it to me.

I think someone mentioned earlier you can catch them with huge sales. I have bought a couple of suits at more than half price. I need clothes that last a long time because they get WORN.

underEJ
11-23-2009, 03:44 PM
I probably spend too much on clothes, but I only splurge once or twice a year and then break out something new now and again throughout the year. (I hate going shopping, even though I'm a woman.) I try to do it all online too, but I would estimate roughly 3000 per year plus shoes. I am not required to dress nicely for work, but I like to feel sharp and put together, so it's not business dress, but stylish casual I'd say.

I'm wearing a dress today that I bought from Anthropologie last Christmas and hadn't worn before, but it feels like I just went shopping.

Jilly
11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I probably spend too much on clothes, but I only splurge once or twice a year and then break out something new now and again throughout the year. (I hate going shopping, even though I'm a woman.) I try to do it all online too, but I would estimate roughly 3000 per year plus shoes. I am not required to dress nicely for work, but I like to feel sharp and put together, so it's not business dress, but stylish casual I'd say.

I'm wearing a dress today that I bought from Anthropologie last Christmas and hadn't worn before, but it feels like I just went shopping.

I LOVE their clothes, but again...just can't see spending $100 on an f-in sweater.

rockymtnchief
11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I used to be a buyer for a mens store and got everything for cost. I'd buy quite a bit then, not so much now. Last time I splurged was for 3 pair of Stearns waterproof pants for work two years ago. They were marked down and cost me about $75 total on sale. Now most of my money goes for camping/biking gear, ammo, beer, trips.

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Right now i don't spend a lot on clothes. I would like to have all new stuff, but can't afford it with tuition, rent, and other bills. As soon as I get out and have a real job I'll probably be one of those guys that have to spend money on suits, then nice casual wear, and my KC gear. Until then, I'm gradually updating my closet but still have some shirts I wear from when i was 40lbs heavier back in my Lineman days.

KCChiefsMan
11-23-2009, 05:13 PM
not much. I haven't bought new clothes in at least a year or 2.

BigMeatballDave
11-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Not a whole lot. I buy mostly Carhartt. Not the most stylish, but very durable.

Rausch
11-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Not much.

I try to find everything from the waist up from Salvation Army or second hand stores.

Shorts are fucking shorts.

It's the Wolverine workboots that seal the fucking deal...

stevieray
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
not much.

..rotating three jumpuits make sit easy, but makes for weird encounters at the grocery store...people laugh when I buy bananas and PB or TP.

rockymtnchief
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Not a whole lot. I buy mostly Carhartt. Not the most stylish, but very durable.

If you can find them, try Stearns pants. They wear like Carhartt, cost less, and they have a style that's waterproof. They're too warm for summer, but damn nice in winter.
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/stearns-waterproof-workwear-pants-brown.aspx?a=383276

These look like the style I wear, but not positive.

Norman Einstein
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
The Salvation Army gets all of my bucks. Some of those clothes are prime time good!
You just have to be patient and wait for those big dollar guys your size to kick off.

Rain Man
11-23-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm a bit of a clothes horse, but I don't pay full price. I buy a lot of my clothes at the Neiman Marcus "Last Call" closeout store, where I pay slightly above-average prices for clothes that are pretty high-end. I'm a big fan of Jhane Barnes and Robert Graham clothes at the moment.

However, if I'm not getting my clothes there, I'm buying them at TJ Maxx or Ross. There's no need to pay above-average prices for stuff like cargo shorts. I also tend to buy t-shirts when I travel, so I have a fair number of those for summer.

-King-
11-23-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm a bit of a clothes horse, but I don't pay full price. I buy a lot of my clothes at the Neiman Marcus "Last Call" closeout store, where I pay slightly above-average prices for clothes that are pretty high-end. I'm a big fan of Jhane Barnes and Robert Graham clothes at the moment.

However, if I'm not getting my clothes there, I'm buying them at TJ Maxx or Ross. There's no need to pay above-average prices for stuff like cargo shorts. I also tend to buy t-shirts when I travel, so I have a fair number of those for summer.

Kind of the same, but Im more of a sneaker person. Most of my shoes ranged from $100-250. But the good thing is that I can resell some for almost double.

Param
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM

This! Yes, it does add up.

I don't know how much i spend on everyday clothes because I tend to purchase in waves.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
This! Yes, it does add up.

I don't know how much i spend on everyday clothes because I tend to purchase in waves.

not too mention the shoes.......can't sport a nice suit with crap shoes. Its the finishing touch.

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 08:41 AM
not too mention the shoes.......can't sport a nice suit with crap shoes. Its the finishing touch.

Where do you buy your shoes at? Im looking for some "fresh" dress shoes.

Rain Man
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Kind of the same, but Im more of a sneaker person. Most of my shoes ranged from $100-250. But the good thing is that I can resell some for almost double.

You resell your shoes? How does that work?

Fish
11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
I work for an elderly nudist colony.

RJ
11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I work for an elderly nudist colony.

The colony or the nudists?

-King-
11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
You resell your shoes? How does that work?

Original jordans and nikes sell for abit. If you can get a good pair of jordans from the 90s, you could resell them for a good profit. Also some nikes are player exclusives and/or samples so those sell for a lot because they're so rare.
Posted via Mobile Device

Molitoth
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Only buy Sale items. Usually no more than $25 on a shirt. No more than $40 on a pair of jeans. GAP is my fav store for this.

I dropped $700 on a nice suit once. I still wear it a lot.

I usually snatch up Sketchers or Diesel shoes for $50-$80.

I'm still stuck in the 90's grunge era, so I'm not ashamed to wear holes in my jeans or shirts.

You new kids can keep that tight-stretch-girl jeans bullshit with your funky ass neon colored non matching shoes and super tight flanel shirt.

MOhillbilly
11-24-2009, 10:54 AM
i wear hand me downs that are worn out. Spent 160 on a pair of redwings a few years back.

bevischief
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
ebay, haven't yet paid more than $20 per auction and that is usually several items and shipping included. Spend about $100 per year.

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
i wear hand me downs that are worn out. Spent 160 on a pair of redwings a few years back.

Yep, my Red Wing work boots were $180, had to order the size I needed though.

Param
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Original jordans and nikes sell for abit. If you can get a good pair of jordans from the 90s, you could resell them for a good profit. Also some nikes are player exclusives and/or samples so those sell for a lot because they're so rare.
Posted via Mobile Device

I didn't realize how big of a shoe collecting world there is out there. But, there is. I remember on the local news a guy flew from Seattle to camp at a Niketown because they had limited edition Jordans. Like 10 per store or something. He camped like 4 days just for a specific rare pair.

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Where do you buy your shoes at? Im looking for some "fresh" dress shoes.

The best deals are at Off Broadway. I buy really nice Cole Haan shoes there. I got a brown pair there last week for $100 and they were normally $250. They also carry nice Guess shoes.

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 02:42 PM
The best deals are at Off Broadway. I buy really nice Cole Haan shoes there. I got a brown pair there last week for $100 and they were normally $250. They also carry nice Guess shoes.

You sound like CP's Rico Suave.:)

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 02:43 PM
I didn't realize how big of a shoe collecting world there is out there. But, there is. I remember on the local news a guy flew from Seattle to camp at a Niketown because they had limited edition Jordans. Like 10 per store or something. He camped like 4 days just for a specific rare pair.

I have boxes of Jordans in my basement I bought in high school/college that still have the paper stuffed in the toes and not even laced up for this reason.

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
You sound like CP's Rico Suave.:)

Guess somebody has to be :D

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Guess somebody has to be :D

I'd love to be if I wasn't poor LMAO.

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I have boxes of Jordans in my basement I bought in high school/college that still have the paper stuffed in the toes and not even laced up for this reason.

What size shoe do you wear? Any rare pairs?

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
What size shoe do you wear? Any rare pairs?

I got a small foot. I wear a 9.5. I have a couple you might consider "rare". I have an original white pair of III's (I even still have the receipt), original VI's in the carmine colorway, origianal concord XI's and I have about every retro pair that has come out in original colorways (IV's, V's and XI's are my favorites). I don't like some of the new colorways and I am not a fan of the fusions.

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd love to be if I wasn't poor LMAO.

You can go quite a ways on a budget. Just got to know where to look.

MOhillbilly
11-24-2009, 03:13 PM
got me to thinkin.
today im wearing, shirt supplied by co.,jacket bought by aunt,hoodie by mom,pants by mother in law,shoes donated by Grandmothers husband. So it seems the socks are the onl....wait check that, i have one grey sock bought by mom, and one white sock bought by myself.

rockymtnchief
11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
got me to thinkin.
today im wearing, shirt supplied by co.,jacket bought by aunt,hoodie by mom,pants by mother in law,shoes donated by Grandmothers husband. So it seems the socks are the onl....wait check that, i have one grey sock bought by mom, and one white sock bought by myself.

Jacket by the company, boots from mom, socks from dad, pants from mom, shirt from dad, t-shirt from company, hat from the bar, sunglasses from the company. I only bought my long-john bottoms.

Everyone's always worried I don't have warm work clothes.

El Jefe
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
I got a small foot. I wear a 9.5. I have a couple you might consider "rare". I have an original white pair of III's (I even still have the receipt), original VI's in the carmine colorway, origianal concord XI's and I have about every retro pair that has come out in original colorways (IV's, V's and XI's are my favorites). I don't like some of the new colorways and I am not a fan of the fusions.

Wow impressive, although the 9.5 might be a bit snug, I wear 15's in Jordans.

MOhillbilly
11-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Jacket by the company, boots from mom, socks from dad, pants from mom, shirt from dad, t-shirt from company, hat from the bar, sunglasses from the company. I only bought my long-john bottoms.

Everyone's always worried I don't have warm work clothes.

i hear ya. the flip side is noone ever worries if your to hot. thank god for walmarts.

wildcat09
11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow impressive, although the 9.5 might be a bit snug, I wear 15's in Jordans.

I worked at Footaction while I finished my master's so I had an inside track and a discount.

keg in kc
11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
The only thing I spend money on are running shoes. I probably buy new clothes once every 5-10 years. I wear stuff until it falls apart. I don't need dress clothes for work, so I don't really have any. I wear shorts most of the year, sweats or (less likely) jeans when it gets colder. Maybe 200 bucks total on clothes the last 5 years. I'm gonna need new sweats soon, though, unfortunately.

Pink Paradise 2010
11-25-2009, 12:08 AM
i would say about 3/4 of every other paycheck. so around $80.00... (i know the check is small.... not enough money if i say so myself!!!!)

Kyle DeLexus
11-25-2009, 01:38 AM
You know what they say about guys with small feet right?

You can go quite a ways on a budget. Just got to know where to look.

Where do you look? I'm trying to upgrade my wardrobe and have a relatively small budget. Right now i'm just watching for xmas sells but don't know of the best places to look.

tmax63
11-25-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't own a suit. That's just me. If I come to your funeral be ready for jeans and a nice shirt. Not disrespect, just me. Normaly, if I need a suit I don't go. Have rented a tux for a wedding or 2 when I was a stand-up but that's it.

AndChiefs
11-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Well when I had to put together my work wardrobe that was expensive as hell at 23-24. I also am a fan of nice clothes. I'm 6' and weigh 180 and have a pretty athletic build. I buy my clothes at Banana Republic, Express, and Jos A. Bank (they have their once a year one day everything is half off sale). The shirts fit me perfect and Express Jeans and slacks fit really well for me. I just don't mess with other stores because I know my size at those places and it fits my style and build perfectly. If you pay attention Banana drops their prices by more than half on stuff when the new season stuff comes out. They've got better sale prices than anyone on anything from graphic tees to suits. I'll pay $50-80 on jeans and button-up shirts. I've probably got my long sleeve button-up shirt collection up to about 50-60. Haven't bought either one in two years. Got more than enough shit. I'll buy a couple new hoodies and T-shirts if I see something I like.

I'm 6'1, 190 and also get my clothes at Express and Banana Republic. Usually at the outlet mall for Banana Republic. I don't care much for "right now" style but I like the way they fit and look on me.

MOhillbilly
11-25-2009, 08:30 AM
The only thing I spend money on are running shoes. I probably buy new clothes once every 5-10 years. I wear stuff until it falls apart. I don't need dress clothes for work, so I don't really have any. I wear shorts most of the year, sweats or (less likely) jeans when it gets colder. Maybe 200 bucks total on clothes the last 5 years. I'm gonna need new sweats soon, though, unfortunately.

Dude?