PDA

View Full Version : News My indentity was stolen.

Dunit35
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I haven't been on here in awhile, usually just lurk around.

I got bored Friday and checked my credit report and there was a $456 outstanding balance/charged off as bad debt/sent to collections. Long story/short. My mother/step father stole my social security number two years ago and now a collection agency is coming after me. She hasn't admitted it yet but:

A. I've never bought something from that place
B. Everything purchased was for our xmas that year and my gift was the first purchase mentioned by fingerhut.
C. All the gifts were sent to her house and I didn't live there at that time (oct 07).
D. I want this off my credit.
E. I am 100% she doesn't have money to pay me now.

My sister told me to give her two months or have her arrested. $342 is a lot for a college student living on his own.

The collection agency said they would settle for $342. I shouldn't have to pay anything. I can't believe my mother would do this to me. What can I do?
Besides pay it myself, which I will probably have to do. I really don't want her or my stepdad arrested for this either.

allen_kcCard
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM

I got bored Friday and checked my credit report and there was a $456 outstanding balance/charged off as bad debt/sent to collections. Long story/short. My mother/step father stole my social security number two years ago and now a collection agency is coming after me. She hasn't admitted it yet but:

B. Everything purchased was for our xmas that year and my gift was the first purchase mentioned by fingerhut.
C. I want this off my credit.

The collection agency said they would settle for $342. I shouldn't have to pay anything. I can't believe my mother would do this to me. What can I do?
Besides pay it myself, which I will probably have to do. I really don't want her or my stepdad arrested for this either.

Then tell her her get out of jail free card is going to cost her $450.

L.A. Chieffan
11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
thats a uhh bummer man.....thats a bummer.

Demonpenz
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
i would have them arrested, sad when you have to parent your parents

Mile High Mania
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
That's crazy... not sure what you should do. If this is what happened, they certainly crossed a line...

Dicky McElephant
11-23-2009, 11:30 AM
NOOOO!!!! NOT YOUR INDENTITY!!!!!

Wait...what's an indentity?

Fish
11-23-2009, 11:31 AM
If the last sentence is true, then it's not much of a discussion.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
You need to teach her some lesson. You can not be responsible to pay this for her. Have her pay you and fork it over or send her to jail.

underEJ
11-23-2009, 11:36 AM
The only way to get it off your credit without paying is to file a police report. If you don't want to involve police, you can try to make a deal with the original credit issuer, but if they sold the debt to the "collection agency," not just hired them on commission, then they can't deal. The collection agency will back off if you can make a deal with the issuer, but if they own the debt, watch out, those are some shady dealers.

If it was a higher dollar amount, a lawyer could help, but the cost will outweigh the benefit, unless you are buying a house or something and need that spotless credit right now for a good rate. Sorry for that, family can certainly take advantage of a good nature like it seems you have. Good luck.

KCFalcon59
11-23-2009, 11:37 AM
If they did it once, they will probably do it again. Definitely confront them and give them a certain amount of time to pay you so you can fix it. If they don't pay have them arrested.

kstater
11-23-2009, 11:39 AM
PM me your SS # and cc info and I'll get it taken care of. If you have your mom's SS number it would help a great deal as well.

Dunit35
11-23-2009, 11:40 AM
The only way to get it off your credit without paying is to file a police report. If you don't want to involve police, you can try to make a deal with the original credit issuer, but if they sold the debt to the "collection agency," not just hired them on commission, then they can't deal. The collection agency will back off if you can make a deal with the issuer, but if they own the debt, watch out, those are some shady dealers.

If it was a higher dollar amount, a lawyer could help, but the cost will outweigh the benefit, unless you are buying a house or something and need that spotless credit right now for a good rate. Sorry for that, family can certainly take advantage of a good nature like it seems you have. Good luck.

If I can file a police report and not have to pay this, I'll gladly do it. I just don't think I can have her arrested for it. I'm kind of weak when it comes to my moms constant F ups. So my sister is coming with me to confront her and my step dad. My brother (who wont let her see her niece until she pays me) would have her crying in seconds.

Buck
11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
That's fucked up. Have you already talked to them about it?
Posted via Mobile Device

kepp
11-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Now THAT is messed up. First off...don't believe ANYTHING debt collectors tell you. Research it a little and know your rights ( http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm ). I went through a period where collectors were calling me about a CC my ex-wife had defaulted on. They will tell you absolutely anything to collect - "If you pay now, this won't go on your credit report"..."you're liable for blah, blah, blah". The reality is, it's already on your report and it was the moment the debt was sold to them (probably before, actually).

As for how to deal with your parents...I have no idea what I'd do. Sorry.

Dunit35
11-23-2009, 11:45 AM
That's ****ed up. Have you already talked to them about it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Uh, Saturday I called and asked her if she knew anything about it. She said "no" Her tone sounded real shady. I called fingerhut today to see what was purchased and where it was sent to. Sure enough, it was sent to her house and the stuff purchased was exactly what I thought was purchased.

Frazod
11-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Wow. And I thought my dad was a dick. At least he doesn't steal from me.

Iowanian
11-23-2009, 11:50 AM
That's one of those gut punch things if there ever was one.

I'd guess the type of people who would do that aren't going to be in a position to or willing to do the right thing. Pay it off to help your own credit.

It's up to you what you wipe the Christmas card with that you send them this year.

sedated
11-23-2009, 11:54 AM
c'mon, she stole from you to buy you a gift.

that sounds like a mom with a bigger heart than wallet.

Lumpy
11-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Uh, Saturday I called and asked her if she knew anything about it. She said "no" Her tone sounded real shady. I called fingerhut today to see what was purchased and where it was sent to. Sure enough, it was sent to her house and the stuff purchased was exactly what I thought was purchased.

http://www.soaps-n-stuff.com/loofa2.gif

"Damn it mom, u ruined my credit for a fuggin' loofa?!"

DumbHillbillies
11-23-2009, 11:58 AM
It's a damn shame when your family takes advantage of you. But, it seems like you would be making a bad situation worse by having her arrested. Make her aware that you know it was her and try to get as much money toward the debt as you can.

memyselfI
11-23-2009, 11:58 AM
If you dispute charges then you should send the collections agency a cease and desist letter and then contact Fingerhut and argue the case with them. If it's Fingerhut and on the internet then this becomes a FEDERAL crime because it's across state lines.

I would start writing letters to Fingerhut and cc the credit agencies.

DumbHillbillies
11-23-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.soaps-n-stuff.com/loofa2.gif

"Damn it mom, u ruined my credit for a fuggin' loofa?!"

ROFL

memyselfI
11-23-2009, 12:01 PM
This website can help.

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/a/ceaseanddesist.htm

Dunit35
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I just got back from the police station. If a police report is filed, it should result in the collection agency being forced to take the bad debt off my credit. The cop told me to get statements from both of them and get a statement showing how much is owed. Than, he can file a police report if I want to.

I just want this off my credit score. If not, it says its on there until 2015 and I know I will buy a house by then.

Dunit35
03-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Son of a bitch.

Just checked my three scores. I have three negative marks on Transunion and two of those are from my mom stealing my identity (the same account). Two negatives on Equifax with one being from my mom.

Is there anything I can do to get them off? I forced her to pay them off over a year ago. It seems experian took it off while the other two didnt. This explains why I couldn't get accepted for a car loan back in September. Cool, equifax shows that I was 120 days late on an account because of her.

Transunions two extra negatives knocked my score down 42 points while equifax took off 31 points for that negative mark.

Her stealing my identity is kicking my ass isn't it? Is there anything I can do?

Count Alex's Losses
03-16-2011, 01:05 AM
This is what happens when you give women power.

Dunit35
03-16-2011, 01:06 AM
It's going to block me from buying a house isn't it?

DMAC
03-16-2011, 01:07 AM
Steal it back.

Use your club.

WV
03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
It's going to block me from buying a house isn't it?

It may not totally block you, but your interest rate isnt going to be the best.

Dunit35
03-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Im in the process of finding a career. This will hurt that too won't it? My scores are in the 600's. Still shows that I have trouble paying for stuff. This Pisses me off.

BIG_DADDY
03-16-2011, 01:30 AM
Sounds like you're going to be the bigger man. I respect that.

Over-Head
03-16-2011, 05:27 AM

C. All the gifts were sent to her house and I didn't live there at that time (oct 07).

My sister told me to give her two months or have her arrested. $342 is a lot for a college student living on his own.

Best of luck...took me 3 years to get Equifax to beilieve I wasn't the dude who was destroying my credit. (Same name and middle innital, different town) while my situation is a bit diferent than yours...it still sucks!
Ya probably don't want to hear this but....somehow make arrangement to pay this off, yeah $342 IS A LOT when ya don't have it, but like the cell phone company I got in a dispute over $200 and refused to pay on principle.(the later ended up in collections over)...it just ain't worth it in the long run.
Your parents ...wow, won't even name call, no need, thats a tough one dude..
Confront them, ask WTF???
Ask WHEN not IF they plan on making this right...then make sure it gets paid one way or another even if it means you working out a deal with the Retail business send em $5 a week till it's gone..

Mile High Mania
03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
You get a free report from each every year... Pull 1 every 4 months and good luck clearing it up.

The Bad Guy
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I think the only way you get it cleaned up in the short term is to press charges against them, which obviously is an insanely difficult thing to do.

Bwana
03-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Im in the process of finding a career. This will hurt that too won't it? My scores are in the 600's. Still shows that I have trouble paying for stuff. This Pisses me off.

10 years ago, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but with the way things are right now, it sure isn't going to help. A lot more business owners are looking into credit scores, along with insurance companies as well. The Insurance companies use the score to set part of their rates for customers.

I won't even get into some other parts of your original posts pertaining to family, but I would be a bit more pissed off than you are. I'll just leave it at that.

Best of luck!

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Send them this letter via certified mail and keep a copy. They have 30 days to remove the disputed information. If they don't, you can sue the shit out of them. If you've been turned down for a car loan already, you have legit damages to claim in addition to defamation or whatever else.

http://www.debt-n-credit-letters.com/Debt-Dispute/debt-dispute-letter-1.html#letter

Initial Debt Collection Dispute Letter

Today's Date

Your Name
Your Address

Collector's Name
Collector's Address

Dear {insert name of collector or company},

I am writing in response to your (letter or phone call) dated {insert date}, (copy enclosed) because I do not believe I owe what you say I owe.

This is the first I've heard from you, or any other company on this matter therefore, in accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 809(b): Validating Debts:

(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.

I respectfully request that you provide me with the following information:

* (1) the amount of the debt;
* (2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
* (3) Provide a verification or copy of any judgment (if applicable);
* (4) Proof that you are licensed to collect debts in (insert name of your state)

Be advised that I am fully aware of my rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Fair Credit Reporting Act. For instance, I know that:

* because I have disputed this debt in writing within 30 days of receipt of your dunning notice, you must obtain verification of the debt or a copy of the judgment against me and mail these items to me at your expense;
* you cannot add interest or fees except those allowed by the original contract or state law.
* you do not have to respond to this dispute but if you do, any attempt to collect this debt without validating it, violates the FDCPA;

Also be advised that I am keeping very accurate records of all correspondence from you and your company including recording all phone calls and I will not hesitate to report violations of the law to my State Attorney General, the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

I have disputed this debt; therefore, until validated you know your information concerning this debt is inaccurate. Thus, if you have already reported this debt to any credit-reporting agency (CRA) or Credit Bureau (CB) then, you must immediately inform them of my dispute with this debt. Reporting information that you know to be inaccurate or failing to report information correctly violates the Fair Credit Reporting Act 1681s-2. Should you pursue a judgment without validating this debt, I will inform the judge and request the case be dismissed based on your failure to comply with the FDCPA.

Finally, if you do not own this debt, I demand that you immediately send a copy of this dispute letter to the original creditor so they are also aware of my dispute with this debt.

Sincerely,

Signature
Your Printed Name

R8RFAN
03-16-2011, 09:50 AM

More of this happens than people report...
It hurts to say this but your mom and stepdad are criminals but for 342 dollars , I would pay it to avoid losing my mom.

Then I would LOCK my credit and I would tell mom that if it ever happened again, you were reporting her to the police.

Sorry man....

Saul Good
03-16-2011, 11:19 AM
More of this happens than people report...
It hurts to say this but your mom and stepdad are criminals but for 342 dollars , I would pay it to avoid losing my mom.

Then I would LOCK my credit and I would tell mom that if it ever happened again, you were reporting her to the police.

Sorry man....

Simply paying the debt doesn't make the credit dings go away. It helps some, but it's not going to get his score to where it needs to be.

God of Thunder
03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Some times, it can take up to 7 years to fully fix your credit.......and my girlfriend had this EXACT same thing happen!!!

R8RFAN
03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Simply paying the debt doesn't make the credit dings go away. It helps some, but it's not going to get his score to where it needs to be.

He has 3 choices...

1 pay the debt in full, take a ding on his credit.

2 do nothing, let credit ding hit harder

3 file a police report on Mom to prove the debt is not his...

I would just pay the debt and move on.... Its a small amount and not 30k

Dunit35
03-16-2011, 03:12 PM
I disputed the claims with equifax and transunion. An officer buddy of mine is filing a police report. Transunion said I should get one to back up my claim. Theyve been disputed without the police report. It wont be done until tomorrow.

The career I'm after has probably already seen this and it's probably ruined my chances.

Valiant
03-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I disputed the claims with equifax and transunion. An officer buddy of mine is filing a police report. Transunion said I should get one to back up my claim. Theyve been disputed without the police report. It wont be done until tomorrow.

The career I'm after has probably already seen this and it's probably ruined my chances.

That sucks, I would probably print all of the stuff out, hand it to her and thank her. Tell her because of you fucking me over I won't get that great job and will not be able to get a good rate on a home loan, thank you. And if it happens again I will put you in jail.

Dunit35
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
That sucks, I would probably print all of the stuff out, hand it to her and thank her. Tell her because of you ****ing me over I won't get that great job and will not be able to get a good rate on a home loan, thank you. And if it happens again I will put you in jail.

I hope it doesn't kill my career chances. This does look pretty bad on my credit report. They asked me if I had any financial troubles. I said no, having no idea this was still on here.

I had trouble sleeping last night because of this. I just know they are going to see this and throw my application away. I've mad it pretty far in the hiring process too.

Dicky McElephant
03-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I hope it doesn't kill my career chances. This does look pretty bad on my credit report. They asked me if I had any financial troubles. I said no, having no idea this was still on here.

I had trouble sleeping last night because of this. I just know they are going to see this and throw my application away. I've mad it pretty far in the hiring process too.

Explain it to them.

Simplex3
03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
As much as it sucks that's why you should have filed the police report the same day you figured out she had done it. It's not about whether or not you love your mother, it's about not letting her stupidity ruin your options for the future. Let's face it, anyone that would do that to you doesn't really care much about you.

Simplex3
03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Explain it to them.

What's he going to explain? That when someone he knows commits a crime he'll not report it if they pay him off?

Dunit35
04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Well I lost the first round on this removal process. Fingerhut said the account was accurate. I have a police report ready to be sent tomorrow. Suck it fingerhut.

acesn8s
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Well I lost the first round on this removal process. Fingerhut said the account was accurate. I have a police report ready to be sent tomorrow. Suck it fingerhut.:bravo:

NewChief
04-04-2011, 06:17 PM
As much as it sucks that's why you should have filed the police report the same day you figured out she had done it. It's not about whether or not you love your mother, it's about not letting her stupidity ruin your options for the future. Let's face it, anyone that would do that to you doesn't really care much about you.

This. We just covered this last night at my Financial Peace University class. You've got to file the police report if you expect to get anywhere. Otherwise, just suck it up and pay for it.

BigRedChief
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
10 years ago, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, but with the way things are right now, it sure isn't going to help. This isn't neccesarily true. Maybe to get a car loan or a mortgage, then it could be true.

Myself and Dunit35 have talked offline so I know more than he has said publically. But, I don't think I'm betraying him by disagreeing with Bwana.

In general, a position of trust usually requires a credit score of 700 or better.

You have to document everything. Get that documentation to HR or whoever is doing your background checks. On the surface, you lied on your application when you said you had no financial issues and they pull your credit and see otherwise.

Even if you clear it up your charector is now in question. Did you know about this bad credit crap when you answered that question? Give them documentation saying when you answered that question, you didn't know that errorenous crap was on your report.

If they like you and want you and your dcumentation is in order....you will still be in the running for the position.

listopencil
04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
So how do we know this is really you?

Dunit35
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I did talk to the department about what it was. They said the credit usually isnt a big factor in it unless it's real bad. Told them I had a police report if needed. The officer in charge of my background never called me back so it must not be serious. My scores are in the mid 600's but would be better. Some days I want to tell my mom off.

Simplex3
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Some days I want to tell my mom off.

Perfectly allowable.

Saul Good
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
So how do we know this is really you?

This is a real who Dunit35.

Dunit35
04-29-2011, 04:14 PM
I win?

Eat it fingerhut. This should bump my score up.

Phobia
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM
The next time you use "winning" your credit score will drop 10 points. That's all played out now.

Dunit35
04-29-2011, 04:30 PM
The next time you use "winning" your credit score will drop 10 points. That's all played out now.

Is that better friend?

Dave Lane
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Its no big deal. Ehh its 2 years old never mind

Pants
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I win?

Eat it fingerhut. This should bump my score up.

What is this post even about?

Dunit35
04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't know, think it involves his identity being stolen and them finally fixing it after two years of back and forth bitching.

I could be wrong though.

Pants
04-29-2011, 04:52 PM
I don't know, think it involves his identity being stolen and them finally fixing it after two years of back and forth bitching.

I could be wrong though.

Huh?

BigRedChief
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
I was a victim of Identity theft this week. Someone in Korea got my Social Security #. I have credit monitoring and Identity theft protection coverage because of my job.

On Thrusday someone tried to open a Bank of America checking account and on Friday tried to open an Etrade account. I called and set them straight. Got the possible Identity theft victim label put on my credit report.

Told my employer that someone tried to steal my Identity on Monday morning. My employer kind of frowns on people trying to steal their employees identity. Got a call from Bank of America on Monday night that an arrest had been made of the person who tried to open an account in my name.

They got nothing. Not a penny.ROFL

Dunit35
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
I was a victim of Identity theft this week. Someone in Korea got my Social Security #. I have credit monitoring and Identity theft protection coverage because of my job.

On Thrusday someone tried to open a Bank of America checking account and on Friday tried to open an Etrade account. I called and set them straight. Got the possible Identity theft victim label put on my credit report.

Told my employer that someone tried to steal my Identity on Monday morning. My employer kind of frowns on people trying to steal their employees identity. Got a call from Bank of America on Monday night that an arrest had been made of the person who tried to open an account in my name.

They got nothing. Not a penny.ROFL

Good for you man. I would have liked to have seen that guy to girls face when they got rejected twice.

BigRedChief
04-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Good for you man. I would have liked to have seen that guy to girls face when they got rejected twice.
Wonder how many people actually get caught in these other countries?

Pants
04-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Wonder how many people actually get caught in these other countries?

Your boss probably lied to you to make you feel better.

BigRedChief
04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Your boss probably lied to you to make you feel better.ROFL my employer is exactly a touchy feely lets make our employees feel good operation.

Bank of America called me, not my employer. They needed to record me stating that I wasn't the one that opened the account. They are sending me some form to sign and send back. So they can prosecute the person who got caught.

Earthling
04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Tough love = File the report and send to the hoosegow.