PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft The Chiefs are now about 8th in draft order. What if the safeties are off the board?

Direckshun
11-23-2009, 01:54 PM
There are more than two teams who need safety ahead of us, and you know the Raiders are going to go for Mays.

So... in the likely event that, at 8, the Chiefs cannot get Berry or Mays, who do you go for?

Also likely off the board by #8: Suh, Okung, and a couple QBs that we're not going to want anyway.

I ask because I really don't like our non-safety options in the Top 10.

Carlos Dunlap or Gerald McCoy for DE?

Reach for Terrance Cody?

Bruce Campbell for RT?

Joe Haden or Donovan Warren opposite Flowers?

Damien Williams or Dez Bryant opposite Bowe?

You'd have to guess Pioli would go defensive line, given these options. I'm guessing a reach for Cody or a more value-oriented pick for Dunlap or McCoy would be most likely.

Hard to say no to Bryant opposite Bowe, however.

CoMoChief
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
We are weak at LB and probably won't sign DJ back (even though we should)

I'd say draft LB McClain or Dez Bryant

Direckshun
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd say draft LB McClain or Dez Bryant

I forgot to include McClain.

I think that's way too high for an inside linebacker, but hey.

Pestilence
11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Honestly....at that point it's pretty much a toss up. One of the 3-4 OLBs could shoot up the board after the combine/Senior Bowl. It could be McClain...since our ILBs really aren't anything great.

Demonpenz
11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
we can't have curry spooge in a cup and grow aaron curry 2.0?

DBOSHO
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
cj spiller 4 teh ween

Pestilence
We're going to take an OT. /DeezNutz

patteeu
WRT:

Reach for Terrance Cody?

It's not a reach if the guy ends up being a player. See Ryan Clady.

In answer to your question, I have no idea. I don't know much about college football talent. I just hope we end up picking someone who makes Scott Pioli look smart.

Dayze
11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
I'd go with McClain.

DJ's left nut
11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Dez Bryant.

There shouldn't even be any discussion on this.

Look at what Calvin Johnson did for Stafford last weekend. Look at what any elite WR can do for his club.

A playmaker has to be brought in above anything else. If Bryant is still there at 8 you take him without a second thought.

Mr. Laz
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
too high for Cody ... he's only a 2 down play in college.

patteeu
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Here's my generic answer. If we don't need a QB and if we don't see a can't miss stud at a position of need (e.g. safety), then we should take the best available lineman (offensive or defensive) with our first round pick in this draft or in any other.

Priest31kc
11-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I'd want either Dez Bryant or an OT if Berry isn't there, and he won't be.

Deberg_1990
11-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Best pass rusher available??

Or basically Best Player/Athlete available....we have needs everywhere.

CoMoChief
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
To be honest I'd be happy with...

1. Bowe
2. Bryant
3. Chambers (should we re-sign him)
4. Bradley
5. Long

KcKing
11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Best pass rusher available??

Or basically Best Player/Athlete available....we have needs everywhere.

What's a pass rusher?

And Dez in that situation... Not a 2nd thought about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

redsurfer11
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
There are more than two teams who need safety ahead of us, and you know the Raiders are going to go for Mays.

So... in the likely event that, at 8, the Chiefs cannot get Berry or Mays, who do you go for?

Also likely off the board by #8: Suh, Okung, and a couple QBs that we're not going to want anyway.

I ask because I really don't like our non-safety options in the Top 10.

Carlos Dunlap or Gerald McCoy for DE?

Reach for Terrance Cody?

Bruce Campbell for RT?

Joe Haden or Donovan Warren opposite Flowers?

You'd have to guess Pioli would go defensive line, given these options. I'm guessing a reach for Cody or a more value-oriented pick for Dunlap or McCoy would be most likely.

It's too early to ask this question. We could end up 7-9 or 8-8

HotRoute
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
CJ Spiller could be the best option or the fastest RB available

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Tough to say at this point. I really would like to see the Chiefs drafting outside the top 5 and still land Berry.

I do not want anything to do with Cody with a first round pick. Not a fan of going OL in the first when there will be good OL available in the second.

I think it is too early to say if both safetys are gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zman
11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
O line O line O line did I mention O line all but Albert!!

Zman
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Tough to say at this point. I really would like to see the Chiefs drafting outside the top 5 and still land Berry.

I do not want anything to do with Cody with a first round pick. Not a fan of going OL in the first when there will be good OL available in the second.

I think it is too early to say if both safetys are gone.
Posted via Mobile Device
How about Jake Long!

patteeu
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
How about Jake Long!

He's already off the board.

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
How about Jake Long!

We have our LT, soooooo you don't make any sense.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see at least one of the safeties still available at 8, if not both.

And forgive me for not being terribly excited about taking a WR who runs a 4.6, and barely played in 2009 in the Top 10.

BigCatDaddy
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Sam Bradford. Trade Cassell to the Donks for their 1st.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Sam Bradford. Trade Cassell to the Donks for their 1st.

ROFL

Holy Christ - I never thought I'd say this, but, I'll keep Cassel, thank you.

BigCatDaddy
11-23-2009, 02:52 PM
ROFL

Holy Christ - I never thought I'd say this, but, I'll keep Cassel, thank you.

The injury issues worry me, but the dude is accurate.

I know there is no chance this happens, but I thought I would piss a few people off.

tyton75
11-23-2009, 03:03 PM
we need Oline help.. if the safeties are off the board.. trade down for more picks and draft a buttload of O and D line help!

eazyb81
11-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Dez Bryant making a case for being the most overrated player in the draft.

He's not big, not fast, and runs poor routes. Sounds like a recipe for NFL domination!

I see Mays as more of a mid-1st round pick.

McClain could be an option in the 8-12 range. Also wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes makes a push for the top 10-15 if they test well.

scho63
11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Who the hell wants to draft a safety first? That's the dumbest thing I've heard on this board. Are you really Al Davis in disguise?

We need O-Lineman so bad it's not funny. I would use our first two picks and maybe a
4th or 5th rounder. At least 3 out of the top 5 picks.
We still need a reliable return man. Charles will be worn down if he has to do it all the time. Then maybe a safety with a 4th pick at the earliest. And a run stopper in the middle of the LB's.

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Who the hell wants to draft a safety first? That's the dumbest thing I've heard on this board. Are you really Al Davis in disguise?

We need O-Lineman so bad it's not funny. I would use our first two picks and maybe a
We still need a reliable return man. Charles will be worn down if he has to do it all the time. Then maybe a safety with a 4th pick at the earliest. And a run stopper in the middle of the LB's.

Are you kidding me? I'm sure the Steelers hate having Troy and Bob Sanders was a big reason the Colts won their SB. Safety is an impact position in todays NFL and they are going to start being drafted higher and higher, Berry would be worth the #1 overall pick IMO. Suh is the only guy that I could see taking higher, but not on this team.

El Jefe
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM

Ohh Lord.

The Bad Guy
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Please don't post anymore.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Please don't post anymore.

LMAO

LaChapelle
11-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Al Davis maybe ready for Tebow time

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Al Davis maybe ready for Tebow time

He still loves him some JaBa Russell

KCChiefsMan
11-23-2009, 04:04 PM
it will all change after the combine. But I really really really want Eric Berry

scho63
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Are you kidding me? I'm sure the Steelers hate having Troy and Bob Sanders was a big reason the Colts won their SB. Safety is an impact position in todays NFL and they are going to start being drafted higher and higher, Berry would be worth the #1 overall pick IMO. Suh is the only guy that I could see taking higher, but not on this team.

I would draft a Ryan Clady clone everyday of the week and twice on Sunday before I even looked at a safety!

shitgoose
11-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I would draft a Ryan Clady clone everyday of the week and twice on Sunday before I even looked at a safety!

Good for you.

Ari Chi3fs
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
We are gonna draft like 18th now... we are gonna wing 4 of last 6 games and finish 7-9 or 6-10... I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

RedThat
11-23-2009, 04:28 PM
For this team, Id prioritize it in this order:

1. OL
2. DL
3. LB

*This team has to build in the trenches. Bottomline, thats where the game is won. The Chiefs don't have enough good lineman on either side of the ball. I put LBer at 3 but its very close in being up there as #1 or 2? The Chiefs have to re-build their Lbing corps which is very important since they're running a 3-4. But yeah if I were them Id definately look closely at those areas in rounds 1 and 2.

Detoxing
11-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Uhmm...oh boy.....Do you realize that most of our big plays on D occur because or poor safety play? Do you realize that that the middle of the field is left wide open every sunday because our safety's have to play so far back due to there lack of speed?

ever thought about the fact that our CB's can't play a lot of press coverage because they dont get adequate safety help over the top?

ever thought about the fact that we allow large run plays because or safety's are out or position often?

you do realize that Safety's often call the assignments/plays in the secondary right?

You don't think a pro-bowl talent player could make a huge difference for this D?

chiefzilla1501
11-23-2009, 05:05 PM
I forgot to include McClain.

I think that's way too high for an inside linebacker, but hey.

You would be correct.

The ILB is probably one of the last positions we need to fix. Our ILBs are going to look like pro bowlers if you put them behind a really good nose tackle. That's just the nature of the 3-4--ILBs are the least important position on that defense. You can easily build around them.

chiefzilla1501
11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Uhmm...oh boy.....Do you realize that most of our big plays on D occur because or poor safety play? Do you realize that that the middle of the field is left wide open every sunday because our safety's have to play so far back due to there lack of speed?

ever thought about the fact that our CB's can't play a lot of press coverage because they dont get adequate safety help over the top?

ever thought about the fact that we allow large run plays because or safety's are out or position often?

you do realize that Safety's often call the assignments/plays in the secondary right?

You don't think a pro-bowl talent player could make a huge difference for this D?

Wrong.

You ALWAYS draft for need with your top pick.

That means we should definitely go tight end or Fullback with our first pick.

Just Passin' By
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Who else plays for USC? :Poke:

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Dez Bryant making a case for being the most overrated player in the draft.

He's not big, not fast, and runs poor routes. Sounds like a recipe for NFL domination!

I see Mays as more of a mid-1st round pick.

McClain could be an option in the 8-12 range. Also wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes makes a push for the top 10-15 if they test well.

hmmm the same things were said about crabtree.

Pestilence
11-23-2009, 05:11 PM
hmmm the same things were said about crabtree.

Yep...he's done really well. :rolleyes:

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Yep...he's done really well. :rolleyes:

have you actually watched him play? he missed all of TC and has only played in lie 5 games and has 22 catches for 292 yards, not too bad considering

Pestilence
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM
have you actually watched him play?

Considering I live in the Bay area.....yeah I've seen him play.

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Considering I live in the Bay area.....yeah I've seen him play.

ok so 5 games 22 catches 292 yards AFTER no tc and missing the first 5 weeks. not bad considering

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 05:23 PM
ok so 5 games 22 catches 292 yards AFTER no tc and missing the first 5 weeks. not bad considering

I think Crabtree will be a solid #2 or a below to average #1. The way he was hyped though, you'd think he was a Megatron or Larry Fitz kind of player that will flat out dominate.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I think Crabtree will be a solid #2 or a below to average #1. The way he was hyped though, you'd think he was a Megatron or Larry Fitz kind of player that will flat out dominate.

And IMO, he's a better prospect than Bryant is.

Guys like Megatron, Andre Johnson and Fitz are rare - and there's no one in this WR class that even remotely compares.

Rausch
11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
What if the safeties are off the board?

I'm ok with that...

scho63
11-23-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm not saying we couldn't use a safety but we can't go another year with the Swiss Cheese O-Line we have. Cassell will be dead by game 6.
Need protection, need to open holes, need to stop getting a million penalties.
That is priority #1

I think we can get a good safety via trade or free agency.

the Talking Can
11-23-2009, 05:34 PM
i'd rather take Spiller than any WR in the first round, if we take a skill position

this is a strong draft, we'll have a shot at a good player no matter where we are...

we may even be in a better position for a trade if we're around 10, as none of the QBs are surefire top 10 picks, imo...

plus, there is a chance Mays is available as low as 12-15, and several interesting LBs going lower as well.......

Pestilence
11-23-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm not saying we couldn't use a safety but we can't go another year with the Swiss Cheese O-Line we have. Cassell will be dead by game 6.
That is priority #1

And you can draft offensive lineman later than the 1st round.

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
And IMO, he's a better prospect than Bryant is.

Guys like Megatron, Andre Johnson and Fitz are rare - and there's no one in this WR class that even remotely compares.

I agree 100%....next years WR class could be interesting though.

Chocolate Hog
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
#8 is a good pick to trade wonder if the niners will trade up for a QB? I'd say trade down draft Cody or McClain.

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 05:38 PM

That is priority #1

Name for me your top five NFL offensive lines. Then, tell me how many of them have multiple first round picks. I have not done all the research, but I am willing to bet you will not find many, if any, at all. The reason you will not find many is that you can find quality, even Pro Bowl offensive linemen in rounds 2-4.

In the first round you have to take an impact player. A playmaker. Period.

scho63
11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
And you can draft offensive lineman later than the 1st round.

If another Eugene Monroe or Ryan Clady were available for our first pick, would you pass them up for a safety??? I wouldn't but that's just my opinion.:doh!:

Rausch
11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
#8 is a good pick to trade wonder if the niners will trade up for a QB? I'd say trade down draft Cody or McClain.

DOWN!

TRADE DOWN!:cuss:

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Trade down.

Chocolate Hog
11-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Draft Eric Decker in the 2nd round

scho63
11-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Name for me your top five NFL offensive lines. Then, tell me how many of them have multiple first round picks. I have not done all the research, but I am willing to bet you will not find many, if any, at all. The reason you will not find many is that you can find quality, even Pro Bowl offensive linemen in rounds 2-4.

1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Vikings
4. Saints
5. Ravens

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
If another Eugene Monroe or Ryan Clady were available for our first pick, would you pass them up for a safety??? I wouldn't but that's just my opinion.:doh!:

If that safety had Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu potential, yes I would in a heartbeat.

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
1. Giants
2. Cowboys
3. Vikings
4. Saints
5. Ravens

Very good. Now, tell me how many first round offensive linemen each of those O lines have.

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Ugh. Berry might not even go pro, jesus... I guess if he doesn't go pro then we just need to tank it again next year so we can have the top pick? This stuff gets old right now. The only safety we can even think about right now is Taylor Mays, unless Berry makes his announcement to go pro.

scho63
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
If that safety had Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu potential, yes I would in a heartbeat.

Or how about another Deron Cherry!:clap:

scho63
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Very good. Now, tell me how many first round offensive linemen each of those O lines have.

I'm going to have to do some homework for this....:spock:...

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Ugh. Berry might not even go pro, jesus... I guess if he doesn't go pro then we just need to tank it again next year so we can have the top pick? This stuff gets old right now. The only safety we can even think about right now is Taylor Mays, unless Berry makes his announcement to go pro.

While true, one of his coaches said "I'd take him with the #1 overall pick this year if I had it" That just seems to be saying he's gone to me.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 05:53 PM
While true, one of his coaches said "I'd take him with the #1 overall pick this year if I had it" That just seems to be saying he's gone to me.

It was Monte Kiffin who said that.

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Looking that up right now. Give me a minute.

eazyb81
11-23-2009, 05:56 PM

If this is your definition of what you need in a 1st round pick, then there's a guy that fits the bill to a 'T' that is not getting any hype on this board.

C.J. Spiller

Not sure how well he would pair up with Charles since they are similar (although Charles is not as good), but Spiller is the type of playmaker that has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches it. He's Percy Harvin at RB.

Kyle DeLexus
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
It was Monte Kiffin who said that.I was pretty sure that's who it was, but didn't want to say so without remembering 100% thanks for confirming while I'm at work.

MahiMike
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
$500 says our 1st pick is OL. It's a lock.

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Here you go, two of the five O lines you mentioned. If you would like to see the results of the other three teams, do the work yourself.

NY Giants:
Diehl 5th round
Seubert Free agent
O'Hara Free agent
Snee 2nd round
MeKenzie 3rd round

Vikings:
McKinnie 1st round
Hutchinson 1st round, but drafted by Seattle
Sullivan 6th round
Herrera Free agent
Loadholt 2nd round

As you can see, only one player of the ten was drafted in the first round by the team they currently play for. The point is, putting together a great offensive line does not mean spending tons of first round picks on that position. Especially in a single draft.

If this is your definition of what you need in a 1st round pick, then there's a guy that fits the bill to a 'T' that is not getting any hype on this board.

C.J. Spiller

Not sure how well he would pair up with Charles since they are similar (although Charles is not as good), but Spiller is the type of playmaker that has a chance to take it to the house every time he touches it. He's Percy Harvin at RB.

On this note, I will pass on taking a RB in the first round unless he is AP, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton caliber and an every down back. Or, if you are drafting for a already very solid team and are taking the BPA late in the first round. Just look at how many quality backs there are in the league right now that were drafted rounds 3-5. No need to spend a high pick on a RB, especially one that is very similar to Charles. Draft RBs late, run them until their rookie contract expires, let them walk and keep drafting younger backs. Had Carl done this, we would not have had the headache known as LJ on our hands and would have been a better team spending that money elsewhere. Anywhere else you can think of that money may have been better spent? :hmmm:

AustinChief
11-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Giants= no 1st round and one hi 2nd
5 U U hi2 3

Cowboys = two 1st and two hi 2nd
hi2 7 hi2 1 1

Vikings = two 1st
1 1 6 U 2

Saints (anomaly) = no 1st one hi 2nd
4 5 5 4 hi2

Ravens = two 1st
5 1 6 2 1

SOOOO it looks like it pays to have two 1st rounders and at least one high 2nd on your oline.. not saying you have to draft them to get them though....

chiefzilla1501
11-23-2009, 06:17 PM
That is priority #1

While true, you can find the top Guards and Centers on the board in the early second. And you can still get a starting Guard/Center in the 3rd even the 4th round. It's an important position. But it's an easy position to draft for. Same goes with Right Tackle even. If you upgrade 2-3 linemen through the later rounds, that will go really far for improving our o-line. And you don't have to waste a first rounder on a lineman you don't need.

As for safety, you need a playmaker there. Troy Polamalu is arguably the most important player on the Steelers' defense. The defense doesn't look the same when he's not in the lineup.

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM

Yeah, him and Monte are best friends, which is surprising considering their age difference. I guess its like a father-son friendship. But you better believe Monte will be pulling for Berry to stay at Tennessee, or else that college has nothing left to be proud of. Lane Kiffin is making them more of a joke than they already were. Berry is a guy who has his head on his shoulders correctly unlike some young athletes that come into the NFL these days. Berry will make the best choice for himself, but I just hate to get into these topics when Berry hasn't even announced that he will be going pro yet. I hope he does, but I am not going to get my hopes up and then have to wait another year and then not have a shot at him at all.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Giants= no 1st round and one hi 2nd
5 U U hi2 3

Cowboys = two 1st and two hi 2nd
hi2 7 hi2 1 1

Vikings = two 1st
1 1 6 U 2

Saints (anomaly) = no 1st one hi 2nd
4 5 5 4 hi2

Ravens = two 1st
5 1 6 2 1

SOOOO it looks like it pays to have two 1st rounders and at least one high 2nd on your oline.. not saying you have to draft them to get them though....

One of the Cowboy's 1st rounders you're counting is Leonard Davis who was a BUST at tackle in Arizona and has salvaged his career in Dallas at guard.

scho63
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM

The list of O-Lineman (Guards, Centers, Tackles) taken in the first round that are still playing and impact players is pretty impressive...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=OLN&round_1=1&round_2=2&tm=all&year_1=1997&year_2=2008&conference=any&type=

Mr. Laz
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
$500 says our 1st pick is OL. It's a lock.
i don't think so

iirc Pioli didn't draft Oline very high in New England ... Mankins is the only one i can think of

AustinChief
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM
One of the Cowboy's 1st rounders you're counting is Leonard Davis who was a BUST at tackle in Arizona and has salvaged his career in Dallas at guard.

As i said, didn't say we had to DRAFT them, just said the data seems to support that having 2 or 3 high 2nd or 1st rounders pays obvious dividends (well duh.)

CaliforniaChief
11-23-2009, 06:33 PM
BLSUPA

(Best LSU player available)

scho63
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM

If you look at those 5 teams, they had quite a few #1's that just retired in the last year or so. May be cyclical for them. Flozell Adams was a 2nd round pick but was Dallas' first pick in the draft

bowener
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Honestly, I think Al Davis would draft Dunlap over Mays.

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM

What does that have to do with anything? he was a 1st round pick

RUSH
11-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I'd have to say Hughes or McClain. Hughes is not being talked about much now, but I do think he is going to shoot up boards big time once the whole draft process starts. I've tried to catch every game that TCU plays on TV and he has yet to disappoint. He does it all and is not a guy who just gets by on athleticism, even though he probably could. He has legit pass rush moves and goes 100% every play. Prototypical 3-4 OLB and a top 10 pick IMO.

1a) Hughes
1b) McClain

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Honestly, I think Al Davis would draft Dunlap over Mays.

Yeah I would be surprised to see Oakland draft a safety. Michael Huff is begining to turn it around a little bit, and they have more glaring needs than safety. I don't see it happening at all.

AustinChief
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I'd have to say Hughes or McClain. Hughes is not being talked about much now, but I do think he is going to shoot up boards big time once the whole draft process starts. I've tried to catch every game that TCU plays on TV and he has yet to disappoint. He does it all and is not a guy who just gets by on athleticism, even though he probably could. He has legit pass rush moves and goes 100% every play. Prototypical 3-4 OLB and a top 10 pick IMO.

1a) Hughes
1b) McClain

Hughes and Graham are my favs right now for 3-4 OLBs .. Though Texas has some interesting prospects in both Kindle and Muckelroy. Not sure Muckelroy is big enough though.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Are you advocating that we draft a guard with our likely top-10 pick?

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Are you advocating that we draft a guard with our likely top-10 pick?

no. how did what i posted say that? the actual question is how many of those teams' linemen were 1st rounders and davis was a first rounder, right?

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 06:49 PM
As i said, didn't say we had to DRAFT them, just said the data seems to support that having 2 or 3 high 2nd or 1st rounders pays obvious dividends (well duh.)

Well, based upon that criteria we're half way there.

DaKCMan AP
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
no. how did what i posted say that? the actual question is how many of those teams' linemen were 1st rounders and davis was a first rounder, right?

That's great. I'm merely pointing out that Leonard Davis is not a prime example for drafting an offensive lineman in the top 10.

JASONSAUTO
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
That's great. I'm merely pointing out that Leonard Davis is not a prime example for drafting an offensive lineman in the top 10.

i agree but he fits the "drafted in the first round" criteria

AustinChief
11-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, based upon that criteria we're half way there.

I would have no problem drafting an OT in the 1st if we fall out of the top 10... but if we are in the top 10 and take a true playmaker then I definitely want to use or 2nd on a o-lineman UNLESS we swing someone like Mankins via free agency.

Perfect world for me would see us sign a Mankins type player then draft Berry, Mays, Graham or Hughes then take someone like Charlie Brown in the 2nd.

DrRyan
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I would have no problem drafting an OT in the 1st if we fall out of the top 10... but if we are in the top 10 and take a true playmaker then I definitely want to use or 2nd on a o-lineman UNLESS we swing someone like Mankins via free agency.

Perfect world for me would see us sign a Mankins type player then draft Berry, Mays, Graham or Hughes then take someone like Charlie Brown in the 2nd.

Charlie Brown??? Do we have to take Lucy to keep pulling the football away from us as we are trying to kick? :D

DJ's left nut
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Mays is starting to look a whole lot like Darnell Bing to me.

I'm sorry, but the kid cannot be that much of a difference maker if USC is getting slashed this bad against the run. They have arguably the worst run D in major college football and Mays is supposed to be a monster in run-support.

I'm off the Mays bandwagon. I wouldn't take him any higher than 20, IMO. He looks like nothing more than hype to me right now.

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Mays is starting to look a whole lot like Darnell Bing to me.

I'm sorry, but the kid cannot be that much of a difference maker if USC is getting slashed this bad against the run. They have arguably the worst run D in major college football and Mays is supposed to be a monster in run-support.

I'm off the Mays bandwagon. I wouldn't take him any higher than 20, IMO. He looks like nothing more than hype to me right now.

His tackling needs some work, but you can't ignore his raw physical tools.

DJ's left nut
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
His tackling needs some work, but you can't ignore his raw physical tools.

But you can certainly take them with a grain of salt due to rumors of rampant PED use at USC.

Besides, I've had enough workout warriors. Eric Berry is a football player with incredible raw ability. Taylor Mays is a guy that looks great in shorts but seems to come up short on game days.

And like I said, I'm not saying he's a 3rd rounder, but he's not a guy I'd take in the top half of the first. So I'm giving him plenty of credit - there's no way a guy with his resume should land in the first round.

Yes, he's physically imposing...so was Tony Mandarich.

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 09:12 PM
But you can certainly take them with a grain of salt due to rumors of rampant PED use at USC.

Besides, I've had enough workout warriors. Eric Berry is a football player with incredible raw ability. Taylor Mays is a guy that looks great in shorts but seems to come up short on game days.

And like I said, I'm not saying he's a 3rd rounder, but he's not a guy I'd take in the top half of the first. So I'm giving him plenty of credit - there's no way a guy with his resume should land in the first round.

Yes, he's physically imposing...so was Tony Mandarich.

I pretty much agree with you, I like Berry a lot more at this point, but I was just sayin you can't ignore what he has to work with. You also can't ignore the history of pro safeties from USC.

Chiefshrink
11-23-2009, 09:19 PM
we need Oline help.. if the safeties are off the board.. trade down for more picks and draft a buttload of O and D line help!

THIS! And then the playmaking will happen:thumb:

KChiefs1
11-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I think Taylor Mays is projected in the 15-20 range.

KCrockaholic
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I think Taylor Mays is projected in the 15-20 range.

Yep. We have a chance at him if we really want him...But just wait until after the workouts, he will skyrocket up the board into the top 8 or so.

Pablo
11-24-2009, 04:43 AM
BLSUPA

(Best LSU player available)I'm gonna start using that. Rep.

eazyb81
11-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Yep. We have a chance at him if we really want him...But just wait until after the workouts, he will skyrocket up the board into the top 8 or so.

I actually predict the opposite. There has been so much hype about Mays beasting at the combine by running a 4.2, benching 500 pounds, sporting a 48 inch vertical, etc, that he's bound to disappoint.

I fully expect him to be not quite as fast and not quite as strong as the USC hype machine has indicated, which will end up hurting him.

Chiefnj2
11-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I actually predict the opposite. There has been so much hype about Mays beasting at the combine by running a 4.2, benching 500 pounds, sporting a 48 inch vertical, etc, that he's bound to disappoint.

I fully expect him to be not quite as fast and not quite as strong as the USC hype machine has indicated, which will end up hurting him.

If he can't match the hype numbers in his workouts prior to the combine, he'll likely only work out at USC and we will learn of great hand times clocked by his agent.

TEX
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
If we stay around 8 - we trade down and get as many good players as possible. 8 is a good place to be cause teams are willing to acquire that pick because it's not gonna cost them out the ass to sign thier player. Just my take...

Chiefnj2
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
If KC can't land Berry in the first I'm not sure who they should go with. Possibly Okung if Albert doesn't improve the last half of the season.

I'm pretty sure I'd like Norwood over Graham at the top of the 2nd. Norwood is around the ball all the time and doesn't disappear from games. I think he's more naturally suited to be a 34 OLB than Graham or Hughes.

End of the 2nd I'd say grab the best OL available if they didn't take one in the first.

3rd - NT, WR, ILB are all option.
4th - Tim Hiller QB.

Chiefs4TheWin
11-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Any decent FA o-Linemen out there? I would take an O-Linemen first if not. Cassel wont survive season 2. If he even survives season 1.

Pestilence
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Any decent FA o-Linemen out there? I would take an O-Linemen first if not. Cassel wont survive season 2. If he even survives season 1.

Hopefully Logan Mankins from the Patriots.

RedThat
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
As much as many here want a safety, I don't see either Mays or Berry as Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed type safeties.

Pestilence
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
As much as many here want a safety, I don't see either Mays or Berry as Troy Polamalu or Ed Reed type safeties.

Berry has been compared to Reed.

RedThat
11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Berry has been compared to Reed.

I think thats a bit overhyped.

kepp
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I'd be happy with either Williams or Bryant, but given the choice, I may lean towards Williams because of the style of offense he's played in.

Kyle DeLexus
11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
I think thats a bit overhyped.

Soooo your saying you haven't seen him play?

Chiefnj2
11-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Soooo your saying you haven't seen him play?

If you watch him this year, the comparison to Reed is over hyped. Kiffen is playing him closer to the box and he's having to play the run a lot more. Against Auburn and Ole Miss he didn't look like a can't miss top 5 prospect. In other games he's looked better.

Kyle DeLexus
11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
If you watch him this year, the comparison to Reed is over hyped. Kiffen is playing him closer to the box and he's having to play the run a lot more. Against Auburn and Ole Miss he didn't look like a can't miss top 5 prospect. In other games he's looked better.

To clarify I was meaning over the course of his career. I watched him a ton last year and have only watched 4 games of his this year. If you watched him at all last year you can see the Ed Reed comparison. You are right about him being asked to do other things this season.

tk13
11-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we take Cody there. I think our top priorities (aside from OL obviously) are NT, pass rushing LB, S, and WR. Those are positions we must address. We have to have an NT if we're going to truly be a 3-4 team. And the Patriots guys love to take DL in the first round. 8 might be high but we reached for Jackson.

And I think if we took him, we wouldn't let him be just a 2 down player all the time. Just because Saban does it doesn't mean we have to. That's part of it too. Although I think you could make the argument that he helps you get to 3rd and 10 all the time, it's not a bad thing.

Pestilence
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if we take Cody there. I think our top priorities (aside from OL obviously) are NT, pass rushing LB, S, and WR. Those are positions we must address. We have to have an NT if we're going to truly be a 3-4 team. And the Patriots guys love to take DL in the first round. 8 might be high but we reached for Jackson.

And I think if we took him, we wouldn't let him be just a 2 down player all the time. Just because Saban does it doesn't mean we have to. That's part of it too. Although I think you could make the argument that he helps you get to 3rd and 10 all the time, it's not a bad thing.

There are quality NTs that will be available in the 2nd-4th round range.

Kyle DeLexus
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Yep. The only bad thing is there might be a lot of teams looking for a NT since everyone runs a 3-4 these days.

Pestilence
11-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Yep. The only bad thing is there might be a lot of teams looking for a NT since everyone runs a 3-4 these days.

Then let's sign Aubrayo Franklin in the offseason. Well if he's available.

Kyle DeLexus
11-24-2009, 11:34 AM

Whatever it takes to stay away from cody in the 1st.

Pestilence
11-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Whatever it takes to stay away from cody in the 1st.

This.

The Bad Guy
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM

No way. He's a typical contract year guy.

He was awful for the 49ers for the last 3 years.

Coogs
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we take Cody there. I think our top priorities (aside from OL obviously) are NT, pass rushing LB, S, and WR. Those are positions we must address.

WR could be OK for another year. Bowe, Chambers, and Long could hold down the fort from the way things have looked the last couple of weeks. The other spots I agree on.

Chiefnj2
11-24-2009, 12:59 PM

The niners were horrible in general when Nolan was the head coach.

googlegoogle
11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Pioli said it's a mix of drafting for need and best talent.

shitgoose
11-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Well, he drafted for need last time so hopefully he goes best talent this time.

milkman
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM

1a) Hughes
1b) McClain

Yeah, I've watched a couple TCU games in the last few weeks, and he has been nothing short of impressive.

milkman
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM

It has to do with the fact that we are discussing potentially a high first round pick on an O-Lineman.

The fact that youy can pick up another team's OT bust and salvage his career at a lower priority position actually lends itself to the argument that you don't need to spend first day picks on O-Line.

We have our first round LT.

We need to let him grow into the position before we go spending a high pick on another LT, and frankly, there isn't a LT in this draft that I would take in the high first round.

milkman
11-24-2009, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't mind signing Mankins, but I would rather draft Berry, Hughes, Kris O'Dowd and Jason Fox.

I like Fox's athleticism combined with his strength better than Brown.

BossChief
11-24-2009, 05:52 PM

Dlinemen are often not productive till their third or sometimes even their fourth year. That said, Ill pass on em.

this

I never thought I would say this type of thing, but I actually hope we dont win too many games the rest of the way and miss out on the elite talent at the top.

milkman
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Yeah.

I'd rather have Boo Robinson or Dan Williams.

And how can you not love a name like Boo?

ChiefsCountry
11-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Or this guy.....

Martin Tevaseu
http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tevaseu_martin00.html

The Bad Guy
11-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Dlinemen are often not productive till their third or sometimes even their fourth year. That said, Ill pass on em.

this

I never thought I would say this type of thing, but I actually hope we dont win too many games the rest of the way and miss out on the elite talent at the top.

Franklin is 31 years old and was a Raven prior to signing with the 49ers.

KCrockaholic
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah.

I'd rather have Boo Robinson or Dan Williams.

And how can you not love a name like Boo?

Remember Boo Williams the Saints TE a few years ago? That was a fun name.

BossChief
11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I have a couple questions for the more well informed people in regards to the draft and value.

1) If we fall to 10-15, are there any pass rushers of Orakpos quality (see how I did that?) that could be had that would be a good value at the pick?

2) If all we had to give up was a third or so, would it be wise to trade up to get Berry if possible? (I realize this is well below the bogus "draft trade value chart")

milkman
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
I have a couple questions for the more well informed people in regards to the draft and value.

1) If we fall to 10-15, are there any pass rushers of Orakpos quality (see how I did that?) that could be had that would be a good value at the pick?

2) If all we had to give up was a third or so, would it be wise to trade up to get Berry if possible? (I realize this is well below the bogus "draft trade value chart")

Rush may be right.

Hughes may well rise up the board in the offseason workouts and the combines and be there.

Rolando McClain may an option, and as much I'd rather not go there Joe haden might be the BPA in that neighborhood.

Chris Meck
11-24-2009, 06:52 PM
I am all about completely revamping the offensive line. I think there is no single worse spot on this entire squad. That being said- I do NOT think we should draft a LT in round 1(Albert will be fine, I think. give him some time.) , and that is the only OL position that warrants a rd.1 pick. MAYBE RT if it was a lot lower round 1 pick-and if we could trade down I'd be totally cool with that. But probably not. I DO want two OL out of the 4 picks we have between rounds 2 and 4. And at least one of them better be in 2. I mean, really. Like a the best C or G in the draft, kind of thing.

And we'd better address it in FA too. Like two guys there.

so basically, I'm cool with a defensive playmaker in round 1. Then I want the OL fixed.

BossChief
11-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Rush may be right.

Hughes may well rise up the board in the offseason workouts and the combines and be there.

Rolando McClain may an option, and as much I'd rather not go there Joe haden might be the BPA in that neighborhood.

Ill have to look up when their teams play and get a look see.

What do you think of Myron Rolle? Could he be a worthwhile mid-late round pick? I cat remember if I asked you this before or not.

Direckshun
11-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Alright, if we are at #8, and there's a very good chance we won't see Berry or Mays, we need to consider trading down.

What we left with otherwise? A bunch of QBs we don't want. DT Gerald McCoy or DE Derrick Morgan, who don't fit our defense. OTs Bruce Campbell, Brian Bulaga, Charles Brown, Trent Williams, or Anthony Davis, which essentially means we are either directly or indirectly drafting for a position other than LT. ILB Rolando McClain, a good player but ILB is not a position you draft in the top 10. Reach for Terrence Cody. Reach for Damien Williams or Dez Bryant, one who is made for our offense but doesn't have Top 10 ability, another who has Top 10 ability but isn't made for our offense. Best or Spiller, when we already have Charles. CBs Joe Haden or Donovan Warren, both clearly talented but are they worth a top 10? I think in this scenario, you'd have to either reach for Cody, reach for Bryant, or shrug and draft a possibly-elite CB.

I'd be very tempted to go for Cody. We get killed by the run.

But if I'm smart and aviod being seduced by Cody's size, I'd go for the CB to play across from Flowers, seeing how this team is a league-wide trailer in interceptions.

I'd opt for either of those before considering Bryant, who is a boom-or-bust prospect that we simply cannot afford to bust.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
imo pure safeties will fall as the draft gets closer and closer as teams realize that it's more of a support position.

yes, if you get Ed Reed it's dramatic but for every Ed Reed there are 20 michael Huffs.

i don't expect Berry to go in the top 5

#8 - 12 range prolly

milkman
11-25-2009, 07:07 PM
imo pure safeties will fall as the draft gets closer and closer as teams realize that it's more of a support position.

yes, if you get Ed Reed it's dramatic but for every Ed Reed there are 20 michael Huffs.

i don't expect Berry to go in the top 5

#8 - 12 range prolly

The problem is that the safety position, with the rules giving offenses so much of an advantage in today's NFL, is no longer just a support position.

Safety has become a priority position.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 07:09 PM
The problem is that the safety position, with the rules giving offenses so much of an advantage in today's NFL, is no longer just a support position.

Safety has become a priority position.
i don't think so ... but we'll see.

keg in kc
11-25-2009, 07:13 PM
What we left with otherwise? A bunch of QBs we don't want. DT Gerald McCoy or DE Derrick Morgan, who don't fit our defense. OTs Bruce Campbell, Brian Bulaga, Charles Brown, Trent Williams, or Anthony Davis, which essentially means we are either directly or indirectly drafting for a position other than LT. ILB Rolando McClain, a good player but ILB is not a position you draft in the top 10. Reach for Terrence Cody. Reach for Damien Williams or Dez Bryant, one who is made for our offense but doesn't have Top 10 ability, another who has Top 10 ability but isn't made for our offense. Best or Spiller, when we already have Charles. CBs Joe Haden or Donovan Warren, both clearly talented but are they worth a top 10? I think in this scenario, you'd have to either reach for Cody, reach for Bryant, or shrug and draft a possibly-elite CB.

I'd be very tempted to go for Cody. We get killed by the run.

But if I'm smart and aviod being seduced by Cody's size, I'd go for the CB to play across from Flowers, seeing how this team is a league-wide trailer in interceptions.

I'd opt for either of those before considering Bryant, who is a boom-or-bust prospect that we simply cannot afford to bust.History would indicate that DB is not a priority position for the folks in charge. They have, however, taken an ILB in the top 10, and recently.

As was the case with last year's draft, I'd say most evidence would point to a defensive lineman.

Prepare yourself.

ncCHIEFfan
11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
I am just thankful I dont have to make the decision

RedThat
11-25-2009, 07:25 PM
History would indicate that DB is not a priority position for the folks in charge. They have, however, taken an ILB in the top 10, and recently.

As was the case with last year's draft, I'd say most evidence would point to a defensive lineman.

Prepare yourself.

And I would be fine with this. I honestly don't think there are enough good lineman on the team on either side of the ball.

ChiefsCountry
11-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I would say it will be Terrence Cody. Saban connection, fat ass NT, a big ass reach sounds like it will be our pick.

Coogs
11-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I would say it will be Terrence Cody. Saban connection, fat ass NT, a big ass reach sounds like it will be our pick.

If we win a few more games, and fall to the 15 range, I full expect it to be Cody or McClain in the first. McClain and Dan Williams with one of our 2nds would not be all bad.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 08:00 PM
now what about Todd Haley makes you think the Chiefs will want a "fat ass" anyone?

stupid

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
now what about Todd Haley makes you think the Chiefs will want a "fat ass" anyone?

stupid

Throw in lazy. If anyone from Bama's defense is picked, it will be McClain. Fits the profile of tough, smart players.

ChiefsCountry
11-25-2009, 08:09 PM

stupid

Its what a 3-4 NT is suppose to be a fat ass. Besides its Haley's boss call and he is going to take Vince Wilfork's supposelly clone.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Its what a 3-4 NT is suppose to be a fat ass. Besides its Haley's boss call and he is going to take Vince Wilfork's supposelly clone.
again .... after all this offseason and Haley demanding players to lose weight that he even had Albert lose weight.

Ron Edwards is not a fat ass ... he's big ... there's a significant difference between a huge guy and a fat ass, huge guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Haley didn't want Cody AT ALL.

They might take him if they trade down but i wouldn't expect them to take cody until the 2nd round.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2009, 08:30 PM
depending how the combine goes, I'm starting to believe Jerry Hughes might be our guy. Which 1st or second round is the question depending how he tests out.

Kyle DeLexus
11-25-2009, 08:34 PM
depending how the combine goes, I'm starting to believe Jerry Hughes might be our guy. Which 1st or second round is the question depending how he tests out.

Yeah I really like him.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
I doubt Hughes tests well enough to get into the top 10, but he wont be around for our 2nd.

Tribal Warfare
11-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I doubt Hughes tests well enough to get into the top 10, but he wont be around for our 2nd.

That's what we thought concerning Tyson Jackson, and he was the one Pioli picked in the last draft.

Mr. Laz
11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
seems to me like there are several NT's and Rushbacker types that could fall to us in the 2nd round.

RedThat
11-25-2009, 08:49 PM
the chiefs must pick at least 1 Offensive lineman with their 3 picks in rds 1 & 2.

ArrowheadMagic
11-25-2009, 08:51 PM
That's what we thought concerning Tyson Jackson, and he was the one Pioli picked in the last draft.

Good point, also depends on where we actually pick. If we are outside of the top 10 pick, Hughes wouldnt be as much as a reach. If Berry is gone, McClain/Hughes choice wouldnt be the end of the world. Both players would be a talent upgrade. Though IMO, McClain's upside is higher.