PDA

View Full Version : News KC MO Ranked 15th Most Dangerous City in 2009

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/dangerous-cities?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Finsurance%2Fdangerous-cities

Is it really that bad?! I'm moving to the KC Kansas side. Is that much better?

Maybe now that LJ moved out the ranking will go down....

------------------------

Edit*

I didn't want to start a new thread about this... Is there Chiefs Planet apparel? Would anybody wear CP gear if it was available?

petegz28
11-23-2009, 04:23 PM
KCK is probably one of the most dangerous areas depending on where you are.

Demonpenz
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
fuck yeah it's dangerous. You see how many players from the steelers were limping out of arrowhead yesterday? One of them was all fucked up. We don't play.

BigRedChief
11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/dangerous-cities?icid=main|hp-laptop|dl4|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.walletpop.com%2Finsurance%2Fdangerous-cities

Is it really that bad?! I'm moving to the KC Kansas side. Is that much better?

Maybe now that LJ moved out the ranking will go down....
I told you to move to Lee's Summit. 6th best schools in the nation according to money magazine. Only issue you have is waiting in line at restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights to get some grub.;)

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I told you to move to Lee's Summit. 6th best schools in the nation according to money magazine. Only issue you have is waiting in line at restaurants on Friday and Saturday nights to get some grub.;)

Thats on the list... We won't really live in the city, just that side of the border....

KCChiefsMan
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM
you know what grinds my gears about these things? They have rankings for dangerous places. They know where the crimes will be committed. They know who will be committing the crimes. But nothing is done about it. Nothing to prevent it.

Spott
11-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Ha, when I grew up there were only family owned diner type restaurants. I remember when they got their first big restaurant(Applebee's) back in '92. I can't believe how big LS has gotten in the past 15 years.

BigRedChief
11-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Ha, when I grew up there were only family owned diner type restaurants. I remember when they got their first big restaurant(Applebee's) back in '92. I can't believe how big LS has gotten in the past 15 years.I love that small diner downtown in LS.

jjjayb
Lee's summit? Seriously? It's always sunny and 73 in Olathe. And you don't have to wait in line to eat. :D

gblowfish
Well, as long as you're not east of Troost at 1am, out looking for crack, meth or an STD, you'll probably be OK.

wild1
For its size, KC is pretty unsafe. Relative to other cities.

Spott
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I love that small diner downtown in LS.

Is Ford's cafe still there?

Brock
11-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. That said, I'm always packing a gun when I'm out and about.

BigRedChief
11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Is Ford's cafe still there?Never heard of that one. This one is called neighboorhood cafe.

Also there is a Jamican restraunt downtown that Phobia thinks has the best wings he has ever eaten.

StcChief
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
skewed stats... 270K in STL (city). makes #2 behind Baltimore.

Two govt functions setup after Civil war. City and county are seperate.

Whole metro area. STL is 130.... besides who lives in the city?

Ralphy Boy
11-23-2009, 05:16 PM
There are pockets, just like anywhere, but as a whole KC is fine. Love Lee's Summit and Liberty is very nice, as is the whole Parkhill/Barry Road area. Brookside bleeds into a rougher area, but as a whole its fine.

Reaper16
11-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd say KC is more dangerous than its placing on the list would indicate.

Bearcat
11-23-2009, 05:55 PM

Everyone has their own experiences to draw from, of course, but I'm surprised it's on the list at all. I've lived around Bannister and James A Reed (Hickman Mills), the Northland, and Mission, and have friends that live downtown, south KC, and in between.... and I wouldn't have a problem living downtown, which a lot of people think is dangerous for some reason.

I had the lock broken on my car while living in the Northland (but there wasn't anything in the car to steal), so that sucked... :shrug:

|Zach|
11-23-2009, 05:56 PM
I think danger in the city is overblown.

I mean, if you are an idiot who makes bad decisions and isn't aware of your surroundings it can be dangerous.

|Zach|
11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Everyone has their own experiences to draw from, of course, but I'm surprised it's on the list at all. I've lived around Bannister and James A Reed (Hickman Mills), the Northland, and Mission, and have friends that live downtown, south KC, and in between.... and I wouldn't have a problem living downtown, which a lot of people think is dangerous for some reason.

I had the lock broken on my car while living in the Northland (but there wasn't anything in the car to steal), so that sucked... :shrug:

Yea the only people that go on and on about how dangerous downtown is are the ones that do not live there.

RJ
11-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Lee's summit? Seriously? It's always sunny and 73 in Olathe. And you don't have to wait in line to eat. :D

People in San Diego often relocate to Olathe just because the weather is so much nicer.

RJ
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM
The "Most Dangerous Neighborhoods" list is interesting. Here's one from KC MO, Forest Ave./41st St..

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods

Edit: Actually two made the list.

underEJ
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Just glanced through the list and it looks to me like Gary, Indiana and Kansas City got a hard grade based on murder rate alone. If you don't know someone who might murder you, your likelihood of getting murdered is very low no matter where you live. If they did the stat based on stranger murder only, the list might look very different.

RJ
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Just glanced through the list and it looks to me like Gary, Indiana and Kansas City got a hard grade based on murder rate alone. If you don't know someone who might murder you, your likelihood of getting murdered is very low no matter where you live. If they did the stat based on stranger murder only, the list might look very different.

Maybe if you live in Gary or KC, you are more likely to know someone who might murder you.

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
The "Most Dangerous Neighborhoods" list is interesting. Here's one from KC MO, Forest Ave./41st St..

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/most-dangerous-neighborhoods

Edit: Actually two made the list.

Whats the story on this neighborhood?

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/mikemaslowski/4a3be68e-002c5-03dca-cdbc8767.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
11-23-2009, 06:21 PM
http://blogs.kansascity.com/crime_scene/crime_stats/

RJ
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/mikemaslowski/4a3be68e-002c5-03dca-cdbc8767.jpg

Don't ask me, I live in New Mexico. I moved out here so I could live somewhere with fewer bad neighborhoods. Although I do envy the Olathe weather.

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 06:23 PM
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/mikemaslowski/4a3be691-003a0-03dca-cdbc8767.jpg

or this one?

RJ
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
or this one?

I think it's the 1 in 7 chance of becoming a crime victim.

MikeMaslowski
11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I think it's the 1 in 7 chance of becoming a crime victim.

It's right up most of the CP posters alley. They should get together and do a peace walk through these troubled neighborhoods. With Gonzos shotguns.

petegz28
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM

THIS! :D

soundmind
11-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Bad news bears fella. Don't take children or women...or anything of value. Prepare to pay for roof repairs due to bullets that have been shot in the air in celebratory fashion.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Marco Polo
11-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Awesome, I live in the 14th most dangerous neighborhood in the U.S. (downtown St.L).

Reaper16
11-23-2009, 07:10 PM
KC is very safe if you're white. The black-on-black crime, drug and gang related, is off the charts in this city, though. The east side of KC is like fucking Fallujah.

underEJ
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM

My KC house is 4 blocks west of that neighborhood. It is probably just about as far east as I would ever buy/live, and even a block makes a difference in the overall danger. The house has been broken into once in the 5 years I have owned it, because the morons who were living there (I donated rent free accommodations to Katrina victims,) tried to rip off the neighborhood drug dealer. I got rid of them, got a good friend to rent it, made peace with the dealer, and my house is no longer threatened. Other than tenant solicited trouble, it is no different from living in any city. Have a well lit porch, walk with purpose, and in groups, be alert, and have a loud dog inside your house. No problem.

Spicy McHaggis
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Is that a stripped out DeLorean on the first page?

Duck Dog
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
LJ lived in Leawood. I believe their crime rate just went to zero.

KcMizzou
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
KC is very safe if you're white. The black-on-black crime, drug and gang related, is off the charts in this city, though. The east side of KC is like fucking Fallujah.Seriously?

I've lived here my whole life. (Of course, I'm a white guy who lives up north.)

I'm pretty sure you're embellishing things, though.

BWillie
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Yeah the city of KC MO is dangerous. I actually thought KC would of been in the top 7 to be honest w/ you. 4 out of every 5 Greater Kansas City resident doesn't live in the actually anyways so who cares.

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Awesome, I live in the 14th most dangerous neighborhood in the U.S. (downtown St.L).

You live north of Market Street?

OnTheWarpath58
11-23-2009, 11:03 PM
KC is very safe if you're white. The black-on-black crime, drug and gang related, is off the charts in this city, though. The east side of KC is like fucking Fallujah.

Hell, there were what, 3 neighborhoods in EKC that were mentioned, and there was no mention of East St. Louis?

I believe you, now.

wildcat09
11-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Hell, there were what, 3 neighborhoods in EKC that were mentioned, and there was no mention of East St. Louis?

I believe you, now.

Thats odd because my wonderful GPS took me through East St Louis and I was a little worried to say the least.....and it was 130pm

Skip Towne
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I lived in KC once. I would never do it again.

macdawg
11-23-2009, 11:20 PM
East KC Troost/prospect/pasao and around HWY 71 is probably the highest crime area.

I've known some people who have been attacked/robbed in Westport.

Most surprising, I've known 3 girls who have been mugged on the Plaza over the years. One of them was in September, robbed at gunpoint and pistol whipped walking to her apartment by brush creek in the Plaza. Shit can happen anywhere.

That said, most parts of town and decent awareness you get you by just fine of course including Wesport/Plaza. Just keep in mind weird people are everywhere and weird shit happens all the time.

Dottefan
11-23-2009, 11:40 PM
I grew up in KCK off of Quindaro BLVD and saw allot of fucked up shit in the early to mid 90`s. I watched 2 of my friends get murdered in front of me 2 separate times...saw people get shot in drive bys , and was shot at my self numerous times.just some really fucked up shit that teenagers shouldn't have to see..and I wasnt even a gang member, but all my friends were..but my stupid ass might of well of been hanging out with those cats.

I would actually say that the city is allot safer now, then back then. I know that you couldn't go to KCMO with WY plates with out getting into some serious trouble, and it went the same way if you came to WY with MO tags..but things have gotten better. I remember hearing gun shots and sirens every night, all nigh long, crack houses every were ..it was really bad.

I moved to UT in 96 to get away from the gangs to go to job corps, and I remember my first week there I couldn't sleep it was to damn quiet lol.. But now when I go to KCK to visit my family its actually quiet at night, and allot less craziness.

Valiant
11-24-2009, 12:16 AM
For its size, KC is pretty unsafe. Relative to other cities.

Or KC just actually reports the crimes..

Valiant
11-24-2009, 12:18 AM
The Northland is pretty good as long as you are not living in some section 8 apartment/townhome complexes..

googlegoogle
11-24-2009, 12:28 AM
http://www.mtaswapmeet.us/mta_events/dover_05/last_years_show/M8-Armored-Car-A.jpg

BWillie
11-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I grew up in KCK off of Quindaro BLVD and saw allot of ****ed up shit in the early to mid 90`s. I watched 2 of my friends get murdered in front of me 2 separate times...saw people get shot in drive bys , and was shot at my self numerous times.just some really ****ed up shit that teenagers shouldn't have to see..and I wasnt even a gang member, but all my friends were..but my stupid ass might of well of been hanging out with those cats.

I would actually say that the city is allot safer now, then back then. I know that you couldn't go to KCMO with WY plates with out getting into some serious trouble, and it went the same way if you came to WY with MO tags..but things have gotten better. I remember hearing gun shots and sirens every night, all nigh long, crack houses every were ..it was really bad.

I moved to UT in 96 to get away from the gangs to go to job corps, and I remember my first week there I couldn't sleep it was to damn quiet lol.. But now when I go to KCK to visit my family its actually quiet at night, and allot less craziness.

Alot of old people think that every day crime is getting worse and worse and worse. But actually violent crime hit it's peak in the 70's and 80's. There is notably less violent crime per capita now than there was back then. Alot of the older generation just won't believe it and will consider anything the "good ole" days.

Baconeater
11-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Is that a stripped out DeLorean on the first page?
Nah, I believe it's a Plymouth Turismo.

http://www.allpar.com/photos/plymouth/1986/turismo.jpg

KC native
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae69/mikemaslowski/4a3be691-003a0-03dca-cdbc8767.jpg

or this one?

A good friend of mine lives in that neighborhood. Pretty rough and there's a shitload of crack and meth. That being said, if you're not a fucking idiot you don't have anything to worry about there. Just don't start talking to random people and showing off nice shit and you will be fine.

KC native
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I grew up in KCK off of Quindaro BLVD and saw allot of ****ed up shit in the early to mid 90`s. I watched 2 of my friends get murdered in front of me 2 separate times...saw people get shot in drive bys , and was shot at my self numerous times.just some really ****ed up shit that teenagers shouldn't have to see..and I wasnt even a gang member, but all my friends were..but my stupid ass might of well of been hanging out with those cats.

So it was you and your buddies shooting at me back then eh? Well I got something for ya now! J/K but you aren't lying about the MO tags thing. I got a few sent in my direction back in the day when we would visit my friend's cousin who lived off of Quindaro.

I've noticed that all of KC has calmed down somewhat to me since the mid to late '90's (that could be due to me seeing less friends too as they've gotten older or moved on in some fashion). I'm actually pretty lucky that I made it out to Texas because of some of the shit I've done or been around.

KC native
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Alot of old people think that every day crime is getting worse and worse and worse. But actually violent crime hit it's peak in the 70's and 80's. There is notably less violent crime per capita now than there was back then. Alot of the older generation just won't believe it and will consider anything the "good ole" days.

Thank the media for that. If it bleeds, it leads is their mantra.

Dottefan
11-24-2009, 08:52 AM
So it was you and your buddies shooting at me back then eh? Well I got something for ya now! J/K but you aren't lying about the MO tags thing. I got a few sent in my direction back in the day when we would visit my friend's cousin who lived off of Quindaro.

I've noticed that all of KC has calmed down somewhat to me since the mid to late '90's (that could be due to me seeing less friends too as they've gotten older or moved on in some fashion). I'm actually pretty lucky that I made it out to Texas because of some of the shit I've done or been around.

I still get nervous going to MO with my KS tags.. lol.. I got a few sent my way off of prospect, cats were yelling " take your ass back over to KS" . Now its no problem. I remember dating girls from MO and they would want me to pick them up.........hell no lol not with my WY tags lol...but then again, they wouldn't come over the KS with MO tags. That shit was crazy, my cousin used to have me meet him at the old grand slam off of 1-70 and follow him into KS when he would come over to hang out , just so he didn't get fucked with..it was like living out the boarder war in some parts of KS and MO all over again.

Reaper16
11-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Thank the media for that. If it bleeds, it leads is their mantra.
Not really. Only if its white and bleeds. KC media doesn't do shit as far as reporting on most murders.

Dottefan
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Not really. Only if its white and bleeds. KC media doesn't do shit as far as reporting on most murders.

Sadly I would have to agree. I`ve had 6 life long friends murdered over the years, and only 1 of them was on the News. I think it has more to do with the fact, that as a society we except violence in certain areas , but when it happens in other areas that we don't expect it to..then it becomes news worthy.

Johnny Vegas
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
WOW. I went to KCMo for the Chiefs/Giants game. My friend picked the hotel in Grandview in the Longview area. I never felt so out of place. Granted we had no clue what to expect and where not to go, but I had the feeling my buddy didn't pick the right area. We went to the grocery store only to be looked at like ghosts. Apparently not much white folk grocery shop in that area hahahahaha. I never felt scared, but just out of place. The "club" that was connected to the hotel was being overwatched by a couple police officers outside. I couldn't wear a hat in the club. I kept hearing...who are these white boys?? So any locals out there was I in a bad area? I went by Swope Park too. That was awesome, but again I felt like I shouldn't be driving in that area without asking for trouble.

BigRedChief
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
WOW. I went to KCMo for the Chiefs/Giants game. My friend picked the hotel in Grandview in the Longview area. I never felt so out of place. Granted we had no clue what to expect and where not to go, but I had the feeling my buddy didn't pick the right area. We went to the grocery store only to be looked at like ghosts. Apparently not much white folk grocery shop in that area hahahahaha. I never felt scared, but just out of place. The "club" that was connected to the hotel was being overwatched by a couple police officers outside. I couldn't wear a hat in the club. I kept hearing...who are these white boys?? So any locals out there was I in a bad area? I went by Swope Park too. That was awesome, but again I felt like I shouldn't be driving in that area without asking for trouble.
Yes, your buddy picked wrong. Next time go to the Indepence area by the stadium. Right off I-70, by the stadium and cheap hotels in a better neighboorhood.