PDA

View Full Version : Economics BestBuy bends over for Muslims, won't say Merry Christmas?

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Makes one wonder where to spend those Christmas dollars in 2009.

Three years ago, electronics retail giant Best Buy was in the middle of the "War on Christmas" controversy. A company spokeswoman - Dawn Bryant - announced they would not use the word "Christmas" in their advertising: "We are going to continue to use the term holiday because there are several holidays throughout that time period, and we certainly need to be respectful of all of them."

Hmm... so mentioning "Christmas" in its advertising is somehow disrespectful of other holidays? They have since started using the word Christmas in some ads - but it's very limited. The American Family Association lists Best Buy as a company that "marginalizes Christmas" .

But this weekend, we learned a bit more about Best Buy's bizarre corporate logic toward Christmas and other holidays. Here is the advertising circular that was in Sunday newspapers all across the nation - including the Seattle Times.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/.a/6a00e008c6b4e58834012875d14330970c-450wi

Best Buy - the company that will not allow the words "Merry Christmas" in its advertising - has no problem wishing people a "Happy Eid al-Adha" - an important Muslim holiday.

No "Happy Thanksgiving" - although there is a directive to shop online on Thanksgiving Day. Merry Christmas is not allowed in their ads. But Eid al-Adha? Let's all celebrate with a plasma TV!

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=76&sid=245549

Demonpenz
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
christmas war is tired on both sides. just say happy holidays.

Frazod
11-24-2009, 11:19 AM
christmas war is tired on both sides. just say happy holidays.

Fuck that. I say Merry Christmas. You don't have to be a Christian to have a Merry Christmas. I told a Jewish co-worker to have a Merry Christmas one year, and he said, "I'm Jewish." So I said, "Well, then don't fucking have a Merry Christmas." That was the end of it.

Christmas is a commercialized crock of shit anyway. Jesus was born during the spring.

Garcia Bronco
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I say Merry Christmas as well. I told the people at work if they had a problem with it they could come to work on the 25th. If I KNOW they are Jewish for example I will say Happy Hanank....hanacou....whatever.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
I say Merry Christmas. I have no hope for a muslim to have a happy anything day so Happy Holidays won't work. But then I'm sorta closed minded that way sometimes.

RJ
11-24-2009, 11:27 AM
Best Buy sucks, with or without Merry Christmas.

MOhillbilly
11-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I say 'BAH HUMBUG'.

Demonpenz
**** that. I say Merry Christmas. You don't have to be a Christian to have a Merry Christmas. I told a Jewish co-worker to have a Merry Christmas one year, and he said, "I'm Jewish." So I said, "Well, then don't ****ing have a Merry Christmas." That was the end of it.

Christmas is a commercialized crock of shit anyway. Jesus was born during the spring.

sweet say your merry christmas, then the other side gets pissed, then they end up all getting pissed and forget they are driving in the left lane in the highway, then hate fuck their wives and have retarded kids.

Donger
Makes one wonder where to spend those Christmas dollars in 2009.

Three years ago, electronics retail giant Best Buy was in the middle of the "War on Christmas" controversy. A company spokeswoman - Dawn Bryant - announced they would not use the word "Christmas" in their advertising: "We are going to continue to use the term holiday because there are several holidays throughout that time period, and we certainly need to be respectful of all of them."

Hmm... so mentioning "Christmas" in its advertising is somehow disrespectful of other holidays? They have since started using the word Christmas in some ads - but it's very limited. The American Family Association lists Best Buy as a company that "marginalizes Christmas" .

But this weekend, we learned a bit more about Best Buy's bizarre corporate logic toward Christmas and other holidays. Here is the advertising circular that was in Sunday newspapers all across the nation - including the Seattle Times.

http://www.weaselzippers.net/.a/6a00e008c6b4e58834012875d14330970c-450wi

Best Buy - the company that will not allow the words "Merry Christmas" in its advertising - has no problem wishing people a "Happy Eid al-Adha" - an important Muslim holiday.

No "Happy Thanksgiving" - although there is a directive to shop online on Thanksgiving Day. Merry Christmas is not allowed in their ads. But Eid al-Adha? Let's all celebrate with a plasma TV!

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=76&sid=245549
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Weekly-Sales/Happy-Eid-Al-Adha/td-p/71686;jsessionid=C43D554A96718895FF0B9F76759C7347

Thanks for sharing your point of view regarding our recent ad, which included a wish for a “Happy Eid al-Adha”.

Best Buy’s customers and employees around the world represent a variety of faiths and denominations. We respect that diversity and choose to greet our customers and employees in ways that reflect their traditions.

We do use the word “holiday” in some of our advertising because it is meant to be inclusive to everyone. However, just as we have in the past, we will also reference specific holidays such as Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa in our weekly ads, store signage and other advertising vehicles.

We encourage our employees to interact with customers naturally and wish them a Merry Christmas or share whatever greeting is appropriate for the holiday they are celebrating.

Thanks again for your feedback.
~Elizabeth
Community Supervisor
Best Buy® Corporate

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Weekly-Sales/Holiday-Messaging/td-p/71918

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
As I drive past I'll try to remember to wish them all a Merry Christmas. I wont go to Target either. They wont let the Salvation Army collect at their stores so screw them too.

Warrior5
11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
... I wont go to Target either. They wont let the Salvation Army collect at their stores so screw them too.

Seriously?

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Serious as a heart attack.

Bearcat2005
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
My Jewish friend always wishes me a Merry Christmas.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
You can celebrate your individuality and we will help celebrate your diversity... as long as it is not Christian in any way.

Donger
11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
As I drive past I'll try to remember to wish them all a Merry Christmas. I wont go to Target either. They wont let the Salvation Army collect at their stores so screw them too.

https://sites.target.com/site/en/company/page.jsp?contentId=WCMP04-031787&ref=sr_shorturl_salvationarmy

This seems current, although I don't see any reference to the bell ringers.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
https://sites.target.com/site/en/company/page.jsp?contentId=WCMP04-031787&ref=sr_shorturl_salvationarmy

This seems current, although I don't see any reference to the bell ringers.

Interesting. If they let them "ring the bell" this year it will be a change in their policy. It was quite an issue in Overland Park when they said no to the Salvation Army bell ringers.

Iowanian
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I won't buy any Christmas gifts from a store that isn't interested in observing Christmas.

This year, I'll be purchasing a large flatscreen tv at minimum for electronics, but not at Best Buy.

memyselfI
11-24-2009, 12:37 PM
I agree with using Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings because it's not specific to any particular holiday but the holidays in general. I don't believe this is in deference to Muslims anymore than it is to Jews, or Hindus, or Buddhists, or atheists, etc.

jjjayb
11-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Interesting. If they let them "ring the bell" this year it will be a change in their policy. It was quite an issue in Overland Park when they said no to the Salvation Army bell ringers.

They still don't allow them to ring the bill. They have a no solicitation policy at their stores. They always made an exception to the Salvation Army, but they stopped allowing it in 2004 because it was getting harder to say no to everyone else, yet allow the Salvation Army to solicit. They do help them raise money in other ways though. Sounds fair enough to me.

Demonpenz
11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
If you give like 4 cents to salvation army people it sounds like you are giving alot of money and then you get a full size tootsie roll.

BucEyedPea
11-24-2009, 12:42 PM
You can celebrate your individuality and we will help celebrate your diversity... as long as it is not Christian in any way.

Excellent way of putting it!

ROYC75
11-24-2009, 12:52 PM
**** that. I say Merry Christmas. You don't have to be a Christian to have a Merry Christmas. I told a Jewish co-worker to have a Merry Christmas one year, and he said, "I'm Jewish." So I said, "Well, then don't ****ing have a Merry Christmas." That was the end of it.

ROFL Now this is the guy I know !

KC native
11-24-2009, 01:09 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bestbuy won't say merry christmas to me WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [/disHonest off]

Iowanian
11-24-2009, 01:11 PM
KCnaive will be cool with it until they forget Cinco de Bano.

KC native
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
KCnaive will be cool with it until they forget Cinco de Bano.

You having fun trying to hump my leg again? fucking ankle biter.

Iowanian
11-24-2009, 01:23 PM
It's always nice to see the original material of El Puta Grande

KC native
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
It's always nice to see the original material of El Puta Grande

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bestbuy won't say merry christmas to me so I'm going to buy my TV somewhere else

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [/i-amaragingpussy-awanian]

you feel better now that you cried about it?

PunkinDrublic
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Then don't shop there you whiney bitch. Honestchief bends over for stupidity should be the title of this post.

Iowanian
11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
No but I probably will after I underpay some migrant workers picked up at Home Depot to put up my Christmas Lights on saturday.

Donger
11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Based on what I read, Best Buy will indeed acknowledge Christmas this year. If they are really interested in "diversity," they pretty much have to now, along with that Jewish holiday and that Black person's holiday.

wild1
11-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't buy the products they sell at brick and mortar stores anyway. You can find much better deals through online retailers. If you're a fanatic about throwing money away, I highly recommend purchasing a television from there.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with using Happy Holidays or Season's Greetings because it's not specific to any particular holiday but the holidays in general. I don't believe this is in deference to Muslims anymore than it is to Jews, or Hindus, or Buddhists, or atheists, etc.

I would agree, if we had a national Hannukah day with pay.

Either all in or all out. Take away the Christmas day with pay, take away the National Holiday. Only then is your argument with foundation.

memyselfI
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I would agree, if we had a national Hannukah day with pay.

Either all in or all out. Take away the Christmas day with pay, take away the National Holiday. Only then is your argument with foundation.

Actually, I'm fine with that. I don't think Christmas or any religious holiday should be a paid Federal/State holiday.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Actually, I'm fine with that. I don't think Christmas or any religious holiday should be a paid Federal/State holiday.

Until it actually occurs, as I stated, then the argument is moot.

Our government recognizes the birth of Jesus Christ (right day or not) as a National Holiday, that is a fact. When they do, and places like Best Buy are closed on December 25th, it is hard to take their directives seriously.

memyselfI
11-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Until it actually occurs, as I stated, then the argument is moot.

Our government recognizes the birth of Jesus Christ (right day or not) as a National Holiday, that is a fact. When they do, and places like Best Buy are closed on December 25th, it is hard to take their directives seriously.

Right but our government does not direct that anyone MUST recognize the day in order to collect their pay for it. As such, it's an individual business matter and should remain such.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Right but our government does not direct that anyone MUST recognize the day in order to collect their pay for it. As such, it's an individual business matter and should remain such.

Thus the reason for the word "And" in my last sentence. Both issues are to be taken seriously, not one or the other.