PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Ooops!

Bwana
11-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Investigators: Kentucky Census Worker Killed Himself

A Kentucky census worker found hanging from a tree with the word "fed" written on his chest killed himself and staged his death to look like a murder, authorities said Tuesday. Kentucky State Police said Bill Sparkman died at the same location where his body was found Sept. 12 near a cemetery in a heavily wooded area of southeastern Kentucky.

A man who discovered the body in the Daniel Boone National Forest said the 51-year-old was bound with duct tape, gagged and had an identification badge taped to his neck.

Police told a news conference Tuesday that Sparkman was naked except for socks and had his glasses taped to his face "so he could see what he was doing."

Investigators say Sparkman acted alone in manipulating the scene to conceal the suicide.

They believe he killed himself and made it look like a murder because he'd recently taken out two life insurance policies that wouldn't pay out for suicide.

But investigators didn't say what motivated Sparkman to end his life in the first place. He didn't leave a note, state police told reporters.

<!-- QUIGO --><!-- QUIGO --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript _extended="true"> var adsonar_placementId="1425767",adsonar_pid="144757",adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=224;adsonar_zh=93,adsonar_jv="ads.adsonar.com"; </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://js.adsonar.com/js/adsonar.js" _extended="true"></SCRIPT>
If Sparkman had been killed on the job, his family also would have been be eligible for up to $10,000 in death gratuity payments from the government.

He was not eligible for a separate life insurance policy through the government because his census work was intermittent, Census Bureau spokesman Stephen Buckner has previously said.

The investigation revealed that the letters "fed" scrawled on his chest in black pen had been written from the bottom up and Sparkman's DNA was the only forensic evidence found at the scene.

Police said he spoke to a witness they wouldn't name about hanging himself and making it look like someone else killed him.
The Census Bureau suspended door-to-door interviews in the rural county after Sparkman's body was found.

Anti-government sentiment was initially one possibility in the death. Authorities said Sparkman had discussed perceived negative views of the federal government in the area.

A friend of Sparkman's, Gilbert Acciardo, previously told The Associated Press that he warned Sparkman to be careful when he did his census work.

Acciardo, a retired Kentucky state trooper, said he told Sparkman people in the rural area would perceive him differently because he worked for the federal government.

Sparkman's mother, Henrie Sparkman of Inverness, Fla., has said her son was an Eagle scout who moved to the area to be a local director for the Boy Scouts of America. He later became a substitute teacher in Laurel County and supplemented that income as a census worker.

Friends and co-workers have said that even while undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, Sparkman would show up for work smiling with a toboggan cap to cover his balding head. They said he was punctual and dependable.

blaise
11-24-2009, 02:25 PM
But, but, this was right wing nut jobs and health care protestors and stuff. Right wing nut jobs, you know?

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Hmmm, wasn't there tons of speculation by many on this board about this story?

Don't some of you look silly right now?

jjjayb
11-24-2009, 02:29 PM
But, but, this was right wing nut jobs and health care protestors and stuff. Right wing nut jobs, you know?

Well the right wing nut jobs probably drove him to suicide, so the point still stands. Cause right wing nut jobs hate blacks and poor people. You can't deny that can you?!?

RJ
11-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Off topic a little, but how could a guy who was "undergoing chemotherapy for cancer" able to have "recently taken out two life insurance policies"?

Do they sell those to 51 y/o men with cancer? If so, they must have cost a bundle.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Off topic a little, but how could a guy who was "undergoing chemotherapy for cancer" able to have "recently taken out two life insurance policies"?

Do they sell those to 51 y/o men with cancer? If so, they must have cost a bundle.

You can buy a fly by night policy regardless of health status. If a good investigation is done after death then a pay off doesn't occur. However if this guy ended up with a bullet in him, then chances are that a company wouldn't investigate his prior physician visits.

Brock
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Baaaaahahahaha

RJ
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
You can buy a fly by night policy regardless of health status. If a good investigation is done after death then a pay off doesn't occur. However if this guy ended up with a bullet in him, then chances are that a company wouldn't investigate his prior physician visits.

A guy that age can buy life insurance w/o a physical and medical records? Wow, that surprises me.

HonestChieffan
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
A guy that age can buy life insurance w/o a physical and medical records? Wow, that surprises me.

You need to listen to late night talk radio. They have ads all the time for that stuff.

A man 40 who smokes and weighs 350 pounds just bought 4 million in coverage for 6.95/ month.

RJ
11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
You need to listen to late night talk radio. They have ads all the time for that stuff.

A man 40 who smokes and weighs 350 pounds just bought 4 million in coverage for 6.95/ month.

I had no idea. I am hopelessly out of touch with the mainstream.

KCWolfman
11-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Not at all. THink about it.

I sell you a policy without review - I give you several caveats that the policy is null and void if you don't meet certain criteria.

A: You live and I collect fat premiums for a long tim.

B: You die, I collect premiums, pay a minimal investigative fee and find you didn't meet criteria and don't pay your family.

Win/win for the fly by nights.

Rain Man
11-24-2009, 08:36 PM
The bigger question for me is who's going to decrease the official population count of that county by one person?

KCTitus
11-24-2009, 08:40 PM
The bigger question for me is who's going to decrease the official population count of that county by one person?

Or if there's an ACORN office, the voter registration roles by 10?

Saul Good
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM

More importantly, did he switch his party registration to "D" posthumously?

SNR
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Frankie should probably apologize.