PDA

View Full Version : Religion Best Buy Black Friday Eid Al Adha ad causes disappointment to many

Guru
11-25-2009, 12:41 AM
http://www.quickpwn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/bestbuy-eid-ad.jpg

article link
http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/11/best-buy-eid-al-adha-ad-causes-disappointment-to-many-a0224.html

Best Buy forum link
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Weekly-Sales/Happy-Eid-Al-Adha/td-p/71686/page/9

In Best Buy’s Black Friday ad, they included a Happy Eid al-Adha message to recognize the holiday that Muslims around the world will be celebrating this week. For Muslims, Eid is like Christmas and this year it happens to be in the same week as Black Friday and Thanksgiving. Surprisingly, it looks like this ad has caused disappointment among many Best <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" id="itxt_nobr_0_0">Buyhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/11/best-buy-eid-al-adha-ad-causes-disappointment-to-many-a0224.html#) customers.
A topic on the Best Buy forums (http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Weekly-Sales/Happy-Eid-Al-Adha/td-p/71686) is full of 10 pages where customers are complaining about Best Buy wishing Muslims a happy Eid. As I was reading the topic I noticed that many people were saying that they will no longer shop at Best Buy, some were saying that Best Buy should have put something about Christmas, and some said that they were shocked. Due to the complaints by a lot of people, a Best Buy supervisor, Elizabeth had to post the following response:
Thanks for sharing your point of view regarding our recent ad, which included a wish for a “Happy Eid al-Adha”.
Best Buy’s customers and employees around the world represent a variety of faiths and denominations. We respect that diversity and choose to greet our customers and employees in ways that reflect their traditions.
We do use the word “holiday” in some of our advertising because it is meant to be inclusive to everyone. However, just as we have in the past, we will also reference specific holidays such as Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa in our weekly ads, store signage and other advertising vehicles (http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/11/best-buy-eid-al-adha-ad-causes-disappointment-to-many-a0224.html#).
We encourage our employees to interact with customers naturally and feel free to wish them a Merry <nobr style="font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);" id="itxt_nobr_5_0">Christmashttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/2_bing.gif</nobr> (http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/11/best-buy-eid-al-adha-ad-causes-disappointment-to-many-a0224.html#) if they are celebrating that holiday. Thanks again for your feedback.
~Elizabeth
Community Supervisor
Best Buy® Corporate
I really don’t see anything wrong with Best Buy adding a “Happy Eid Al-Adha” text in their ad. It just proves that Best Buy appreciates diversity. It is unfortunate that people are taking other meanings from this ad. What are your thoughts on this? I’d like to end this post with: Happy Eid to any of our readers who are celebrating Eid this week, and happy Thanksgiving to any of our readers who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week.

The only thing that bothers me about this is the fact that Best Buy refuses to say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Thanksgiving" in any ads because it may "offend" other religions but it is OK to print another religions holiday.

I would be completely fine with it if they want to recognize other religions as long as they stop alienating the dominant religion in this country.

Guru
11-25-2009, 12:42 AM
Snopes link regarding their stance on Christmas...
http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/bestbuy.asp

Best Buy has announced they will be using "Happy Holidays" this coming Christmas shopping season, and they will not be using "Merry Christmas."

Dawn Bryant, a spokeswoman at Best Buy Co. Inc., says their advertising will not be using the term "Merry Christmas."

"We are going to continue to use the term holiday because there are several holidays throughout that time period, and we certainly need to be respectful of all of them," Bryant said. Click here for reference article.

While many other retailers have decided to return to the traditional "Merry Christmas", Best Buy will not be among them. Best Buy considers the use of "Merry Christmas" to be disrespectful.

Taco John
11-25-2009, 01:38 AM
I would imagine it would suck to have to hit pause on Angels and Demons half way through it in order to pull out a prayer rug and do religious calisthenics for an hour.

Saggysack
11-25-2009, 01:50 AM
I'm shopping where the best price is. The niceties are really faux service I can do without. I wouldn't care if they said fuck off as long as they were giving me the best price available. My interests are with my own pocketbook concerning my purchases.

Why do so many people have to act like a pack of 12yr old girls that didn't get to see the first showing of New Moon with whatever phrase they think they need to be greeted with? Just seems to me something really about nothing at all to waste my time getting upset over.

Guru
11-25-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm shopping where the best price is. The niceties are really faux service I can do without. I wouldn't care if they said **** off as long as they were giving me the best price available. My interests are with my own pocketbook concerning my purchases.

Why do so many people have to act like a pack of 12yr old girls that didn't get to see the first showing of New Moon with whatever phrase they think they need to be greeted with? Just seems to me something really about nothing at all to waste my time getting upset over.I would rather them not say anything at all either. Things would be a lot simpler.

Saggysack
11-25-2009, 03:10 AM
I would rather them not say anything at all either. Things would be a lot simpler.

Then you would have the same people bitching that they didn't say anything. There are just some people that can never be made happy, or in this case merry.

|Zach|
11-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Then you would have the same people bitching that they didn't say anything. There are just some people that can never be made happy, or in this case merry.

Yea, I ran into this very thing during my time in retail a few years back.

BigRedChief
11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
I would rather them not say anything at all either. Things would be a lot simpler.THIS! They are a retail store. Keep the prices low the shelfs stocked and thats the extent of our relationship. I don't need you BS PR attempt at "Merry Christmas".

BigRedChief
11-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Yea, I ran into this very thing during my time in retail a few years back.So some cashier doesn't say merry christmas to you and you notice that?

|Zach|
11-25-2009, 08:42 AM
So some cashier doesn't say merry christmas to you and you notice that?

No, I mean I was the retail cashier. I used to say Happy Holidays to folks.

One dude flips out bc we were not letting god into our establishment by not saying Merry Christmas. I never had a directive from my manager, store manager or corporate office on the subject though.

Mr. Kotter
11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
People should say whatever they want to say.

And stores and advertising ought to say what they want to say.

But then nobody should get upset when others are offended or boycott stores because of it.

In our country, on a practical level though...when we cater to a minority point of view, or react in knee-jerk fashion to an imposed standard of political correctness or a contrived notion of "tolerance," we should be prepared for a possibility of consequences and be prepared to live with them.

Yeah, consequences are a bitch...for a nation that's become a bunch of whiners.

stevieray
11-25-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't need you BS PR attempt at "Merry Christmas".

ya, we wouldn't want you offended or anything.

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
I figure stores should remember where their bread is actually being buttered.

Is Christmas and the Christmas gifting traditions a bigger portion of their yearly profit or kwanza clause....

Norman Einstein
11-25-2009, 12:06 PM
I figure stores should remember where their bread is actually being buttered.

Is Christmas and the Christmas gifting traditions a bigger portion of their yearly profit or kwanza clause....

This Friday is commonly referred to as Black Friday. That's because it's typically the first day of Christmas shopping and the first day the stores get their ledgers into the black. Christmas has always been big bucks. Those that don't want to play the Christmas game might as well suck it up and play along.

For me if you leave Christ out you keep me out. I don't intentionally boycott anyone, but when I see an overt move to support Islamic holidays and not the standard Christian holiday I call foul and don't darken their door steps. If you can't say Merry Christmas you shouldn't be allowed to go the other way either.

It's not really about supporting Islam, it's about the Islam influence trying to eradicate Christianity. i.e. - see jihad and infidel in the Quran/Koran or however you want to spell/pronounce it.

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't have a problem if an employee doesn't say Merry Christmas, I do have a problem when they can't.

Norman Einstein
11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't have a problem if an employee doesn't say Merry Christmas, I do have a problem when they can't.

I have a problem if they say Happy Eid Al Adha and won't go with Merry Christmas.

I don't necessarily like Happy Holidays due to my Christian beliefs, but it would be better using that than happy Eid Al Adha and nothing else.

I probably won't be buying computer supplies through Best Buy, nor cameras, nor TV's or anything else.

mlyonsd
11-25-2009, 12:20 PM
This.

KC native
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
JFC, didn't you guys cry enough about this yesterday?

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
JFC, didn't you guys cry enough about this yesterday?

I heard INS was going to be doing a Holiday roundup tomorrow.

Don't cry.

If whining were people, you'd be China.

Stewie
11-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Is anyone really surprised? They're retail trinket whores. "You got money? I got stuff!"

KC native
11-25-2009, 01:23 PM
I heard INS was going to be doing a Holiday roundup tomorrow.

Don't cry.

If whining were people, you'd be China.

hurr hurrr illegal immigrant jokes directed at a Hispanic. It's like no one ever thought of that before. :rolleyes:

Run along now toto, walmart is having a great sale on TVs. Hell, maybe the cashier might even say Merry Christmas and you can jizz in your pants and curse Best buy all at the same time.

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Muh Bitch. You whined about that enough yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that....

KC native
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Muh Bitch. You whined about that enough yesterday, and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that....

Out of jokes already? ROFL

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM
You're all the joke that is required.

BigMeatballDave
11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I usually say 'Happy Holidays' when I'm out. I can't tell who's Jewish and who's Christian and whatever. People just need to get the fuck over themselves.

KC native
11-25-2009, 01:49 PM
You're all the joke that is required.

Lame. Come on tough guy, I know you have better. Where's that famous io-allicanmakearegayjokes-awanian swagger?

Edit: just saw those last 3 neg reps you gave me. Man, you're even slacking it in the neg rep comment area too.

Iowanian
11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Just trying to keep up on a level you can comprehendo.

Also, the count should be 2(dos)(II) unless you just never have any others and it's been a few days since your last bout of ignorant babble.

The cool part is, it usually takes you 30 seconds to respond, which means you care.

KC native
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM

ROFL You got nothing. Go see your local religious counselor aka Wal-Mart cashier to get your burst back. ROFL

Jilly
11-25-2009, 01:55 PM
WTF is the big deal...on that picture it says HAPPY THANKSGIVING in way bigger letters than it says Happy Eid-el Adha? Since when was a religion completely illegal for people?

KC native
11-25-2009, 01:58 PM

Also, the count should be 2(dos)(II) unless you just never have any others and it's been a few days since your last bout of ignorant babble.

The cool part is, it usually takes you 30 seconds to respond, which means you care.

Sorry, hadn't checked my usercp page for a few days. You're right one is from yesterday when you were crying about this same topic.

BestBuy bends over for... 11-24-2009 02:10 PM Iowanian You're an ubber-Douche. Douchasaurus Rex

Best Buy Black Friday... 11-25-2009 01:01 PM Iowanian Muh Bitch

Best Buy Black Friday... 11-25-2009 01:43 PM Iowanian Enjoy your rep stuffing. I can see why you like this game

Guru
11-25-2009, 03:45 PM
WTF is the big deal...on that picture it says HAPPY THANKSGIVING in way bigger letters than it says Happy Eid-el Adha? Since when was a religion completely illegal for people?Actually it says Shop Thanksgiving Day at BestBuy.com.

Had it actually said Happy Thanksgiving I would have had no problem with it at all.

The main issue here is that they openly state they will NOT say Merry Christmas for fear of offending other religions so they revert to Happy Holidays. Happy Holidays should be more than enough to not go out of their way to mention other religions holidays too.

Just say Happy Holidays for every religion and this article never exists.

Saulbadguy
11-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Seems reasonable, considering christmas is a full fucking month away.

Bwana
11-25-2009, 06:36 PM

Bingo

Mr. Kotter
11-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Seems reasonable, considering christmas is a full ****ing month away.

Happy Hanukkah to you too, bi-atch....

;)

Chanukah Sameach...A freilichin Chanukah...whatever.

Best wishes and happy holidays, Saul. :toast: