PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Crash-Gate....funny but troubling

mlyonsd
11-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Updated November 25, 2009
Secret Service Says Couple Crashed State Dinner

FOXNews.com

The party crashers went through the same security screening as the 300-plus people actually invited to the dinner honoring Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Crashing a state dinner at the White House apparently takes a security breakdown as well as some kind of nerve.

The Secret Service is investigating its own security procedures after determining that a Virginia couple, Michaele and Tareq Salahi, managed to slip into Tuesday night's state dinner at the White House even though they were not on the guest list, agency spokesman Ed Donovan said.

President Obama was never in any danger because the party crashers went through the same security screening for weapons as the 300-plus people actually invited to the dinner honoring Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Donovan said.

Donovan confirmed the identities of the couple. In a statement issued late Wednesday, Donovan said the agency has "tasked our Office of Professional Responsibility with conducting a comprehensive review of the incident which occurred at the White House State Dinner last night."

"Initial findings identified a Secret Service checkpoint which did not follow proper procedures to ensure that the two individuals named in a Washington Post story were on the invited guest list," he said.

The Salahis are a fixture in Washington's elite social circles. The couple founded America's Polo Cup, based in Washington, D.C., and were reportedly being considered for the Bravo reality TV show "Real Housewives of D.C."

Dozens of photos posted on Michaele Salahi's Facebook page show the beaming couple pictured with Britain's Prince Charles, former President Bill Clinton, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Oprah Winfrey.

In an interview with the "CBS Early Show" in September, she said, "President Obama has made it very accessible for anyone to visit the White House, so that's like a big thing right now."

The CBS interview was part of a segment on potential candidates for "Real Housewives of D.C." but never was aired.

The Secret Service learned about the security breach Wednesday after a media inquiry prompted by the Salahis' online boasts about having attended the private event, Donovan said.

"I was honored to be invited to attend the First State Dinner hosted by President Obama and the First Lady to honor India," Michaele Salahi wrote Wednesday in a posting on Facebook. Her profile page on the social networking site is adorned with pictures of the couple at the state dinner, standing alongside Vice President Joe Biden, White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel, Washington Mayor Adrian Fenty, CBS News anchor Katie Couric and Rep. Ed Royce, R-Calif.

Donovan would not comment on whether the couple had been contacted by the Secret Service, how long they were on the White House grounds or other details of the investigation.

The Washington Post reported that the Salahis could face a potential trespassing charge unless someone from inside the White House staff slipped them in.

Donovan would not comment on possible legal violations.
"It's important to note that they went through all the security screenings -- the magnetometer screening -- just like all the other guests did," Donovan said in his statement. And, he added, Obama and others under Secret Service protection had their usual security details with them at the dinner.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/11/25/couple-slips-security-crash-state-dinner/#/politics/president/ci.Secret+Service+Says+Couple+Crashed+State+Dinner.opinionPrint

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Politics/statedinner2final_monster_397x224.jpg

I actually think this couple did the public a service. Maybe the SS will be awake from now on and keep some idiot from doing something really bad.

KCWolfman
11-26-2009, 09:02 AM
They were unarmed and no real threat regardless who they were

Thank goodness people can't kill with their hands. :rolleyes:

Norman Einstein
11-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Or have biological items that might be dropped off.

Someone is most likely to lose their job over this one.

Now that we know how easy it is we should all take a trip to DC and walk in for a visit.

RINGLEADER
11-26-2009, 10:31 AM

Or radiation poisoning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Litvinenko_poisoning

KCWolfman
11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
She was a freakin cheerleader for cripe's sake.

If an idiot blond shaking her pom poms has unlimited unfettered access to the top officials in the United States, woe to the idiots who decided more access to the White House was necessary.

Norman Einstein
11-26-2009, 07:56 PM
She was a freakin cheerleader for cripe's sake.

If an idiot blond shaking her pom poms has unlimited unfettered access to the top officials in the United States, woe to the idiots who decided more access to the White House was necessary.

Are you sure it was her pom poms she was shaking?

HonestChieffan
11-27-2009, 07:35 AM
And you wonder why lobbyists get in?

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 07:38 AM
unlimited unfettered access

You guys are so dramatic.

BigRedChief
11-27-2009, 07:54 AM
You guys are so dramatic.It is a valid point. Just because these were socialites crashing a party doesn't negate uninvited guests or unknown persons getting close to the president. So what that this couple posed no threat, You don't see that they were able to slip by security as a danger?

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 08:14 AM
You guys are so dramatic.

I am betting not as dramatic as the head of the Secret Service is this week.

BucEyedPea
11-27-2009, 08:33 AM
I like the head line over at Lew's on this:

"Non-Parasites Attend Obama State Dinner; Panic Ensues"
and
"Taxpayers Attend Obama State Dinner
Panic at the White House"

BigRedChief
11-27-2009, 09:07 AM
They are participating in a Bravo reality show. The Real housewifes of Washington. The show was taping the whold day and up to them going into the White House.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34169902/ns/politics-washington_post/

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:31 AM
It is a valid point. Just because these were socialites crashing a party doesn't negate uninvited guests or unknown persons getting close to the president. So what that this couple posed no threat, You don't see that they were able to slip by security as a danger?

No, I am saying the story was pretty clear in and of itself without adding false and dramatic things like this.

"unlimited unfettered access"

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Good thing if they reached up and tried to do that they'd have a bullet in the back of their heads before their hands touched Obama's throat, huh?

I mean the Secret Service is law enforcement. I thought you guys were supportive of that. But, NO, that has to be politicized too. Good grief.

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Good thing if they reached up and tried to do that they'd have a bullet in the back of their heads before their hands touched Obama's throat, huh?

I mean the Secret Service is law enforcement. I thought you guys were supportive of that. But, NO, that has to be politicized too. Good grief.

Obama being killed would be the greatest moments of Big Daddy's life. ROFLROFL

KCWolfman
No, I am saying the story was pretty clear in and of itself without adding false and dramatic things like this.

"unlimited unfettered access"

Again, I am betting the Secret Service leaders are using even more dramatic phrases.

Of course those who support this administration are going to underplay the failed security. And I am sure every single press release with phrases like "unarmed", "always safe", and " no threat" to mask the total stupidity and failure of the single job of the American Secret Service while in the White House.

KCWolfman

Really??? So the pic of the woman hugging Joe Biden must have been doctored???

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Really??? So the pic of the woman hugging Joe Biden must have been doctored???

You can fatally hug someone? A 120 pound woman?

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
You can fatally hug someone? A 120 pound woman?

Oh, I thought you stated they would be stopped BEFORE they reached the POTUS neck.

wait ,...... wait......

Yeah, that's what you originally said.

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Again, I am betting the Secret Service leaders are using even more dramatic phrases.

Of course those who support this administration are going to underplay the failed security. And I am sure every single press release with phrases like "unarmed", "always safe", and " no threat" to mask the total stupidity and failure of the single job of the American Secret Service while in the White House.

They knew people would be making it more than it was adding things like "unlimited unfettered access" I mean hey, since they got through the door they probably could have checked the President for a hernia. Their access was unlimited right? I am sure there were no eyes on the room.

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Oh, I thought you stated they would be stopped BEFORE they reached the POTUS neck.

wait ,...... wait......

Yeah, that's what you originally said.

The picture I saw posted didn't have anyone's hands anywhere near anyone's throat. Are you referring to a different picture?

blaise
11-27-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't really see that many posts politicizing it.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 09:47 AM
They knew people would be making it more than it was adding things like "unlimited unfettered access" I mean hey, since they got through the door they probably could have checked the President for a hernia. Their access was unlimited right? I am sure there were no eyes on the room.

You are right of course. It's not like two unknown people with unchecked backgrounds could walk right up to someone like the VPOTUS unhindered.

http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Politics/statedinner2final_monster_397x224.jpg

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:49 AM
You are right of course. It's not like two unknown people with unchecked backgrounds could walk right up to someone like the VPOTUS unhindered.

Walking up to him? That is weak. Their access was unlimited. She probably could have gone down on him and nobody would have done a thing.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Walking up to him? That is weak. Their access was unlimited. She probably could have gone down on him and nobody would have done a thing.

Explain "limited" access then, Zach. Maybe my perception is wrong

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't really see that many posts politicizing it.

That many?

I wasn't referring to the general trend, I was replying to a specific post.

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM

You seem to throw out the perception that security ends at the door. There were most assuredly eyes everywhere in that room even though there was a failure at a point. Any aggressive actions would have been acted upon.

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM

I'm pretty sure if he had asked to be excused so he could go to the Situation Room and respond to a crisis, the guests wouldn't have been allowed to come along and bring their nachos.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 09:54 AM
You seem to throw out the perception that security ends at the door. There were most assuredly eyes everywhere in that room even though there was a failure at a point. Any aggressive actions would have been acted upon.

Before or after the aggressive action were complete?

And do you honestly believe the Secret Service is stating what you are right now to the POTUS?

And you have yet to explain what you believe limited access to be.

blaise
11-27-2009, 09:54 AM
That many?

I wasn't referring to the general trend, I was replying to a specific post.

Well, the post you quoted didn't seem to be that political to me, and you used the wording "you guys", so I read that as you referring to multiple people posting in the thread.

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:58 AM

And do you honestly believe the Secret Service is stating what you are right now to the POTUS?

You understand that the president has to be in the same room as other human beings sometimes, right?

He can't be wheeled around in a bulletproof hyperbaric chamber.

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Before. I think Joe Biden deserves an Indian rug burn, but they wouldn't have the time to execute it.

I have no idea what the secret service is stating to the President. They are secretive. Nobody is trying to say there wasn't a failure and a problem that needs to be addressed. My responses are to your dramatizing of a situation that was quite clear and not as you portray it.

Limited access is exactly what it means. I really have been to busy making jokes at the idea they had "unlimited" access to really explain it in detail.

Unlimited access = They could have given Obama a handjob in corner

Limited access = Handies are off limits.

banyon
11-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, the post you quoted didn't seem to be that political to me, and you used the wording "you guys", so I read that as you referring to multiple people posting in the thread.

Ok, I meant KCW and "people like him" if I was unclear.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Before. I think Joe Biden deserves an Indian rug burn, but they wouldn't have the time to execute it.

I have no idea what the secret service is stating to the President. They are secretive. Nobody is trying to say there wasn't a failure and a problem that needs to be addressed. My responses are to your dramatizing of a situation that was quite clear and not as you portray it.

Limited access is exactly what it means. I really have been to busy making jokes at the idea they had "unlimited" access to really explain it in detail.

Well, obviously you believe the Secret Service to have ninja like and prescient abilities that I have yet to see.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Ok, I meant KCW and "people like him" if I was unclear.

Who are people like me?

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Well, obviously you believe the Secret Service to have ninja like and prescient abilities that I have yet to see.

I think the projection of power you are giving this couple overshadows my words about the secret service.

I wonder if they signed any bills into law with their unlimited access?

banyon
11-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Who are people like me?

People who would jump to the same unwarranted conclusion out of their base political desires of course.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:06 AM
I think the projection of power you are giving this couple overshadows my words about the secret service.

I wonder if they signed any bills into law with their unlimited access?

Zach, it is not the power of the couple - which is exactly what I stated some would try and deter with.

It is the fact that two unknown people with unknown backgrounds were allowed to snuggle right up to the VPOTUS as shown in the pic.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:07 AM
People who would jump to the same unwarranted conclusion out of their base political desires of course.

What is the unwarranted conclusion?

|Zach|
11-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Zach, it is not the power of the couple - which is exactly what I stated some would try and deter with.

It is the fact that two unknown people with unknown backgrounds were allowed to snuggle right up to the VPOTUS as shown in the pic.

And nobody is saying there wasn't a failure in this case. I have already made clear what my push back was about. I think you can agree some of your wording was a little dramatic. Which is no big deal.

Unless they did sign a bill into law. That might hurt my argument.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
And nobody is saying there wasn't a failure in this case. I have already made clear what my push back was about. I think you can agree some of your wording was a little dramatic. Which is no big deal.

Unless they did sign a bill into law. That might hurt my argument.

Dramatic? I guess, if that makes you feel more comfortable about the situation.

I hope that the meetings following the blatant failure used every single "dramatic" term I did and more rather than your concept that everything was okay as long as it doesn't happen again.

banyon
11-27-2009, 10:13 AM
What is the unwarranted conclusion?

The conclusion that there was a real threat because it conveniently fits your political narrative even though the facts don't support it, of course.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:16 AM
The conclusion that there was a real threat because it conveniently fits your political narrative even though the facts don't support it, of course.

So there was no threat?

banyon
11-27-2009, 10:35 AM
So there was no threat?

Yeah, pretty clearly not. :spock:

HonestChieffan
11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
So there was no threat?

Sorta creepy. They said the dude in Ft Hood wasn't a threat either. Like it or not the President should never be in the position like this. SS or someone dropped the ball and heads need to roll. They got lucky it wasnt a nutjob.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, pretty clearly not. :spock:

Based upon what? You knew nothing about this couple. Are you stating profiling is okay?

Lame, banyon, even for you

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Sorta creepy. They said the dude in Ft Hood wasn't a threat either. Like it or not the President should never be in the position like this. SS or someone dropped the ball and heads need to roll. They got lucky it wasnt a nutjob.

Yup.

As I said, liberal extremists like banyon will downplay the threat.

banyon
11-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Based upon what? You knew nothing about this couple. Are you stating profiling is okay?

Lame, banyon, even for you

I don't give a f*ck who they were, they weren't in a position to threaten the president.

Your "profiling" comment doesn't make any sense either. I'm not on record as some anti-profiling zealot or anything.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't give a f*ck who they were, they weren't in a position to threaten the president.

Your "profiling" comment doesn't make any sense either. I'm not on record as some anti-profiling zealot or anything.

Wow, they weren't? Based upon what? What assumptions are you making that I obviously don't see?

banyon
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow, they weren't? Based upon what? What assumptions are you making that I obviously don't see?

I'm not making any assumptions, you are.

I'm using the facts that they were searched and had no weapons or devices that could be threats and that they didn't make any aggressive moves toward the prseident.

You are imagining that they have some Matrix-style kung fu where they can dodge bullets and snap the president's neck in a fraction of a second.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not making any assumptions, you are.

I'm using the facts that they were searched and had no weapons or devices that could be threats and that they didn't make any aggressive moves toward the prseident.

You are imagining that they have some Matrix-style kung fu where they can dodge bullets and snap the president's neck in a fraction of a second..

Ronald Kessler, author of a book on the Secret Service, said, "While the couple did pass through a magnetometer to detect weapons, they could have assassinated the president or vice president using other means -- anthrax, for example." He added the Secret Service would not detect secreted biological weapons.

Kessler, a journalist, wrote "In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect."

The author added that it's unlikely the Secret Service performed the usual background check to ensure that the crashers were not possible threats.

"The party crashers could have had outstanding arrest warrants for murder. They could have been involved with terrorists. They could have been agents of Iran or North Korea. The Secret Service would never have known," he said.

Someone needs to tell the news that this isn't serious. banyon says so and knows much more than them or Ronald Kessler.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34166117#34166117

Criminal charges?? For what? banyon says it's no big deal.

banyon
11-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Ronald Kessler, author of a book on the Secret Service, said, "While the couple did pass through a magnetometer to detect weapons, they could have assassinated the president or vice president using other means -- anthrax, for example." He added the Secret Service would not detect secreted biological weapons.

Kessler, a journalist, wrote "In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect."

The author added that it's unlikely the Secret Service performed the usual background check to ensure that the crashers were not possible threats.

"The party crashers could have had outstanding arrest warrants for murder. They could have been involved with terrorists. They could have been agents of Iran or North Korea. The Secret Service would never have known," he said.

Someone needs to tell the news that this isn't serious. banyon says so and knows much more than them or Ronald Kessler.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/34166117#34166117

I didn't say I know more than Mr. Kessler. I said YOU wanted to make more of it than it was to make some political hay out of it. That, I will stand by.

KCWolfman
11-27-2009, 11:12 AM
I didn't say I know more than Mr. Kessler. I said YOU wanted to make more of it than it was to make some political hay out of it. That, I will stand by.

Obviously MSNBC and Ronald Kessler have an agenda against the POTUS as well.

Dirty bastard MSNBC right wing agendists!

Mr. Plow
11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Personally, I like these two parts:

The party crashers went through the same security screening as the 300-plus people actually invited to the dinner.........

.......President Obama was never in any danger because the party crashers went through the same security screening for weapons as the 300-plus people actually invited to the dinner

Yeah. We screwed up. We let them in even though we didn't know who they were - but we would have caught a weapon. ROFL

kcfanXIII
11-30-2009, 10:53 PM

jesus shit fucking christ... you're on to something. maybe the yuppie socialites were really highly trained secret assassin ninjas sent to kill the POtuS. no, on second thought, they were just yuppie fucks that havent wielded a blade bigger than a disposable razor in i, don't know, ever. is it an issue they gained access? yes. is it a direct threat to the POtuS? no, the real housewives of dc are no threat. further more, if these folks had names like mohammad or osama, i'm pretty sure they wouldn't have got in. just a hunch.