PDA

View Full Version : Int'l Issues JohnnyV13, WTF is going on in the Phillipines?

banyon
11-28-2009, 09:46 AM
It sounds like the whole country is on fire. Just wondered if you had any insider baseball on it.

JohnnyV13
11-28-2009, 01:24 PM
It sounds like the whole country is on fire. Just wondered if you had any insider baseball on it.

No, I havent heard anything from my relatives. My company CEO just got back from the phillipines on Tuesday, but I haven't talked to him yet either.

JohnnyV13
11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Thing is, politics can get VERY rough in the Phillipines. Hurl too much mud and piss someone off, they start shooting.

This massacre IS unusual in the number of people involved, but killings over political rivalry is actually not that unusual there. In fact, if you remember former dictator ferdinand marcos, he was suspected of killing one of his father's political rivals when ferdinand was a young man.

Basically, Marcos' father was in a dirty, mud slinging provincial campaign which he lost. His father's rival was shot from long range with a .22 caliber bullet. Marcos was missing from his ROTC unit that weekend, along with a .22 caliber rifle from the weapon's locker. Also, Marcos was a sport shooting champion at the time.

Somehow, Marcos won acquittal at trial.

THe phillipines also have 7,000 islands; some of those islands can be pretty self contained and cut off from central control. The massacre occurred on Mindanao, which is a heavily muslim island long known for rebelling against the central government. (BTW, mindanao muslims have been blowing up churchs since the 1920's in the phillippines, LONG before Israel was founded).

To me, these reports do not sound like a general uprising, but more about a really big political squabble between two long time rival families.

banyon
11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Thing is, politics can get VERY rough in the Phillipines. Hurl too much mud and piss someone off, they start shooting.

This massacre IS unusual in the number of people involved, but killings over political rivalry is actually not that unusual there. In fact, if you remember former dictator ferdinand marcos, he was suspected of killing one of his father's political rivals when ferdinand was a young man.

Basically, Marcos' father was in a dirty, mud slinging provincial campaign which he lost. His father's rival was shot from long range with a .22 caliber bullet. Marcos was missing from his ROTC unit that weekend, along with a .22 caliber rifle from the weapon's locker. Also, Marcos was a sport shooting champion at the time.

Somehow, Marcos won acquittal at trial.

THe phillipines also have 7,000 islands; some of those islands can be pretty self contained and cut off from central control. The massacre occurred on Mindanao, which is a heavily muslim island long known for rebelling against the central government. (BTW, mindanao muslims have been blowing up churchs since the 1920's in the phillippines, LONG before Israel was founded).

To me, these reports do not sound like a general uprising, but more about a really big political squabble between two long time rival families.

Thanks for the perspective. Let me know what you hear from your coworker.