PDA

View Full Version : Obama Seals are on trial so who fixes this this time?

HonestChieffan
12-01-2009, 05:52 AM
Since we have decided to court martial our Seals for doing their job, who will go take this bunch out?

Somali pirates seize supertanker bound for US
Somali pirates have hijacked a Greek-owned supertanker carrying millions of pounds worth of Saudi oil bound for the US.

By Mike Pflanz in Nairobi
Published: 6:28PM GMT 30 Nov 2009

The Maran Centaurus was seized nearly 800 miles east of the Somali coast reportedly by nine pirates in two skiffs. It was heading towards the pirate dens of Haradheere and Hobyo late on Monday.

Onboard were 28 crew members from Greece, Ukraine, Romania and the Philippines, who were believed to have been unharmed.

The 1,090ft, 300,000-ton vessel is one of the largest ever captured by Somalia's pirates and is believed to have been carrying its full capacity of up to two million barrels of crude, worth more than £50 million.

A £2 million ransom was reportedly paid for the Sirius Star, the only other supertanker seized off Somalia, which was carrying two British crewmen. That raid led to a stepping up of international efforts to deploy naval vessels to protect shipping in what has become the world's most dangerous stretch of water.

But now the pirates have shifted their focus from the heavily guarded waters north of Somalia to the open ocean.

"The big international naval deployment is concentrated in the Gulf of Aden, where there's a clearly defined shipping area which is much easier to police," said Roger Middleton, piracy expert at Chatham House.

"Now the pirates have packed up and moved much deeper into the Indian Ocean, it's just an enormous area and with the 30 or 40 ships with the international naval force it is just not possible to police it properly."

A fully loaded oil tanker would also be slow and low enough in the water to make it an easy target. Armed guards are not deployed on these kinds of vessels because their cargo is highly flammable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/6694431/Somali-pirates-seize-supertanker-bound-for-US.html

Hog Farmer
12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
I hope we send in a team to kill those bastards!

InChiefsHell
12-01-2009, 08:36 AM
If you had ships in that area and were not paying mercs with guns to protect you, you're crazy.

I just can't believe these little bastards are able to get away with this. Seriously, put a couple of .50 cals on the deck, problem solved...

Radar Chief
12-01-2009, 09:42 AM
If you had ships in that area and were not paying mercs with guns to protect you, you're crazy.

I just can't believe these little bastards are able to get away with this. Seriously, put a couple of .50 cals on the deck, problem solved...

As mentioned in the article, getting into a firefight from the deck of a fully loaded oil tanker is generally referred to as a bad idea.

Hog Farmer
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
As mentioned in the article, getting into a firefight from the deck of a fully loaded oil tanker is generally referred to as a bad idea.

They could ask the pirates to use paintball guns and agree that if we get shot we stop shooting back and play dead or wounded.

Radar Chief
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
They could ask the pirates to use paintball guns and agree that if we get shot we stop shooting back and play dead or wounded.

Maybe theyíll agree to just throw insults and shoot dirty looks.

FishingRod
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

InChiefsHell
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

That just seems amazing to me that they are just floating around out there with there pants unzipped and there is just no way to protect them. I didn't think an oil tanker was vulnerable to small arms fire they way the vessels that the pirates are on would be.

But I admit, I don't know shit about it. Just seems ridiculous.

Radar Chief
12-01-2009, 07:38 PM
That just seems amazing to me that they are just floating around out there with there pants unzipped and there is just no way to protect them. I didn't think an oil tanker was vulnerable to small arms fire they way the vessels that the pirates are on would be.

But I admit, I don't know shit about it. Just seems ridiculous.

Don't forget the pirates have RPG's and I'd assume one of those in the right spot on a tanker could make for a really bad day.
It is pretty ridiculous though, you'd think the Saudis would spend some of teh mega-gazillion's they make on security for their product.

Garcia Bronco
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM

that's why you use the weapon you only have to fire once

InChiefsHell
12-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Don't forget the pirates have RPG's and I'd assume one of those in the right spot on a tanker could make for a really bad day.
It is pretty ridiculous though, you'd think the Saudis would spend some of teh mega-gazillion's they make on security for their product.

A google search tells me that a RPG is good from 500 to 1000 yards...whereas a .50 cal machine gun can be effective at up to a mile away...it just seems that if you have scouts and radar and such, you'd be able to pop the pirates long before they are in range with their weapons. And, if they have .50 cals, it just seems they'd be much less effective shooting up at your ship then you would be shooting down at them.

Again, I'm not an expert, and I've probably seen too many movies, but it still seems stupid that these ships just can't protect themselves. And I'm sure that not every ship in danger is a tanker.

Radar Chief
12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
A google search tells me that a RPG is good from 500 to 1000 yards...whereas a .50 cal machine gun can be effective at up to a mile away...it just seems that if you have scouts and radar and such, you'd be able to pop the pirates long before they are in range with their weapons. And, if they have .50 cals, it just seems they'd be much less effective shooting up at your ship then you would be shooting down at them.

Again, I'm not an expert, and I've probably seen too many movies, but it still seems stupid that these ships just can't protect themselves. And I'm sure that not every ship in danger is a tanker.

Yea, seems Carlos Hathcock had confirmed kills right around 1000 meters with a .50 cal. I think a Canadian soldier has topped that in Afghanistan with a similar caliber.
But hell, while weíre dreaming lets put a Vulcan 20mm cannon on it. If weíre going to shred something with lead lets do it right. ;)
And sure, I donít know why ships other than tankers canít arm up.
But with a tanker itís not just about the boat or the crew, itís the environmental disaster that could be caused by crude spilling into the ocean.

InChiefsHell
12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Yea, seems Carlos Hathcock had confirmed kills right around 1000 meters with a .50 cal. I think a Canadian soldier has topped that in Afghanistan with a similar caliber.
But hell, while weíre dreaming lets put a Vulcan 20mm cannon on it. If weíre going to shred something with lead lets do it right. ;)
And sure, I donít know why ships other than tankers canít arm up.
But with a tanker itís not just about the boat or the crew, itís the environmental disaster that could be caused by crude spilling into the ocean.

Ah, fuck that. Oil comes from the earth, the earth will take it back in time...it'll clean up in a few years...:D

Chief Henry
12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
If we are sending 30,000 more troops into war. Will they be given the same treatment as these Navy Seals. How will our soldiers know what they can and can't do when they're in combat ?

ROYC75
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
This is just plain stupid...... more liberalism, civil rights to war criminals.

InChiefsHell
12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
If we are sending 30,000 more troops into war. Will they be given the same treatment as these Navy Seals. How will our soldiers know what they can and can't do when they're in combat ?

As I understand it, the deployment will take some time, as we will need to teach the soldiers how to Marandize people in Arabic, as well as proper hand cuffing techniques like just having them fold their hands behind their backs and asking them to please keep their hands there...

Norman Einstein
12-02-2009, 08:24 PM

I agree that it might be a bad idea to engage them, but if you have weapons that are long range enough, or potent enough to just wipe them out on the first volley I think it may send a message, we ain't gonna take this shit anymore.

Chiefspants
12-02-2009, 08:27 PM
I believe the time has come for a second beer summit.