PDA

View Full Version : Environment Comedy Central Scoops Network News on Climate-Gate Scandal

mlyonsd
12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Comedy Central Scoops Network News on Climate-Gate Scandal

Thursday , December 03, 2009
By Diane Macedo

http://www.foxnews.com/images/foxnews_story.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

ABC didn't cover it. CBS didn't either. And NBC apparently wouldn't go near it.

The network news broadcasts have ignored a growing scandal over evidence of a potential climate cover-up — and now they've even been scooped by the fake news at Comedy Central.

"The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" produced its "reporting" on Climate-gate Tuesday night, when Stewart quipped, “Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!”

Stewart described leaked e-mails from Britain's University of East Anglia, including one referring to a researcher's "trick" to "hide the decline" in some temperature readings in recent decades.

"It's just scientist-speak for using a standard statistical technique — recalibrating data -– in order to trick you," Stewart said sarcastically.

Nearly two weeks since news broke of the e-mail scandal, climate change skeptics have gloated; a leading climate scientist has resigned (http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2009/nov/homepagenews/CRUupdate); at least one U.S. lawmaker has called for an investigation, and countless prominent news outlets have deemed the story worthy of major reporting.

Still, according to a report Wednesday morning by the conservative Media Research Center (http://mrc.org/press/releases/2009/20091202123647.aspx), "none of the broadcast network weekday morning and evening news shows addressed Climate-Gate or the incriminating Jones development. ... This marked 12 days since the information was first uncovered that they have ignored this global scandal."

The Business & Media Institute had just as much trouble finding the networks' Climate-gate coverage.

"An examination of morning and evening news programs on ABC, CBS and NBC since Nov. 20 yielded zero mentions of the scandal, even in the Nov. 25 reports about Obama going to Copenhagen to discuss the need for emissions reductions," the Institute reported Wednesday (http://www.businessandmedia.org/articles/2009/20091202135822.aspx).

But during that time, the Institute says, "the networks reported on pro-golfer Tiger Woods' 'minor' car accident at least 37 times. They also found time to report on an orphaned Moose and the meal selection at the president’s State Dinner."

Media Research Center President Brent Bozell reacted to the findings saying, "To pretend this story simply doesn’t exist is damning to journalism."

That left Stewart to fill the void — with his analysis of the scientists' decision to discard the raw data used to formulate the adjusted data that much of the scientific community agrees confirms global warming.

"Why would you throw out raw data from the '80s? I still have Penthouses from the '70s!" he joked.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,578990,00.html?test=latestnews

jjjayb
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
They have more important things to report on. Didn't you hear? Tiger Woods is having an affair?!?

Chief Henry
12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Those 3 network news organizations are a JOKE.

mikey23545
12-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm waiting for the usual liberal crew to show up and explain once again how there is no left-wing bias in the mainstream media...

Pitt Gorilla
12-03-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm waiting for the usual liberal crew to show up and explain once again how there is no left-wing bias in the mainstream media...I thought you might be waiting for the usual conservative crew to show up and explain once again how TDS never takes shots at the left or their causes...

L.A. Chieffan
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm waiting for the usual liberal crew to show up and explain once again how there is no left-wing bias in the mainstream media...

Awesome. The Daily Show, one of the most unabashedly left leaning shows on TV, covers it and you wanna know why it's not being covered?

mlyonsd
12-03-2009, 05:02 PM
The fact Stewart picked up on the crazily ironic unbelievable story for ratings before the MSM tv network did is in itself ironic.

KCWolfman
12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I thought you might be waiting for the usual conservative crew to show up and explain once again how TDS never takes shots at the left or their causes...

As a liberal I would be ashamed posting on a thread with proof of unmitigated bias without some word of condemnation. But that's just me
Posted via Mobile Device

SNR
12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Awesome. The Daily Show, one of the most unabashedly left leaning shows on TV, covers it and you wanna know why it's not being covered?Well, why DIDN'T ABC, NBC, and CBS cover it?

KCWolfman
12-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Awesome. The Daily Show, one of the most unabashedly left leaning shows on TV, covers it and you wanna know why it's not being covered?
I guess if you believe a comedy show is equivalent to the left leaning news agencies you have a point.
Posted via Mobile Device

BucEyedPea
12-03-2009, 07:27 PM
As a liberal I would be ashamed posting on a thread with proof of unmitigated bias without some word of condemnation. But that's just me
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't be overconcerned with the PG Peanut Gallery. 90% of his posts are swiping at conservative posters.

L.A. Chieffan
12-03-2009, 08:07 PM
I guess if you believe a comedy show is equivalent to the left leaning news agencies you have a point.
Posted via Mobile Device

most "news" agencies today ARE comedy.

Pitt Gorilla
12-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Don't be overconcerned with the PG Peanut Gallery. 90% of his posts are swiping at conservative posters.How many of your posts are about me? Good Lord.

Stinger
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/YRBSyR3OcB7mxwTvjBTmzg"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/YRBSyR3OcB7mxwTvjBTmzg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

headsnap
12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
How many of your posts are about me? Good Lord.
not 90% ;)

btw, she's right... it's your shtick, it's your purpose on CP...

mikey23545
12-03-2009, 11:28 PM

OMG....You're comparing a comedy show with the mainstream media?!!??!?

ROFL

L.A. Chieffan
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
OMG....You're comparing a comedy show with the mainstream media?!!??!?

ROFL

No. But now that you put it that way, sure. Media is media

T-post Tom
12-04-2009, 12:00 AM
"...and now they've even been scooped by the fake news at Comedy Central." ~ Fox News

ROFL Pot, meet kettle. ROFL

Frankie
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Has it occurred to anyone partying about this "news" that Stewart was being sarcastic about the Right and their infamous talking points? For example, most everybody knows that Gore never said that he "invented the Internet." Yet Stewart used that phrase underlining and mocking another instance of howling-at-the-moon by the Right. The so called "leftist" media here is not the only one here with the "move on, nothing to see here" attitude. There is not much bite by world respected media like the Guardian, etc.

KCWolfman
12-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Has it occurred to anyone partying about this "news" that Stewart was being sarcastic about the Right and their infamous talking points? For example, most everybody knows that Gore never said that he "invented the Internet." Yet Stewart used that phrase underlining and mocking another instance of howling-at-the-moon by the Right. The so called "leftist" media here is not the only one here with the "move on, nothing to see here" attitude. There is not much bite by world respected media like the Guardian, etc.

So when Stewart made fun of Palin for being able to see Russia from her house (as most everybody knows she didn't say that) he was actually defending her?

You guys and your silly word games crack me up.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCWolfman
12-04-2009, 01:12 AM
There is not much bite by world respected media like the Guardian, etc.

Telegraph UK
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/

Guardian (evidently you missed the 8 articles I googled from there)
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/01/climate-change-scientist-steps-down
Also note I found links in the AP, UPI, Reuters, and Knightridder

If you haven't seen worldwide stories, then you just haven't looked.

Mile High Mania
12-04-2009, 04:20 AM
So when Stewart made fun of Palin for being able to see Russia from her house (as most everybody knows she didn't say that) he was actually defending her?

You guys and your silly word games crack me up.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is funny....