PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Harry Reid Compares Opponents Of Health Care Reform To Supporters Of Slavery

RINGLEADER
12-07-2009, 11:30 AM
What a knucklehead...

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took his GOP-blasting rhetoric to a new level Monday, comparing Republicans who oppose health care reform to lawmakers who clung to the institution of slavery more than a century ago.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid took his GOP-blasting rhetoric to a new level Monday, comparing Republicans who oppose health care reform to lawmakers who clung to the institution of slavery more than a century ago.

The Nevada Democrat, in a sweeping set of accusations on the Senate floor, also compared health care foes to those who opposed women's suffrage and the civil rights movement -- even though it was Sen. Strom Thurmond, then a Democrat, who unsuccessfully tried to filibuster the Civil Rights Act of 1957 and it was Republicans who led the charge against slavery.

Senate Republicans on Monday called Reid's comments "offensive" and "unbelievable."

But Reid argued that Republicans are using the same stalling tactics employed in the pre-Civil War era.

"Instead of joining us on the right side of history, all the Republicans can come up with is, 'slow down, stop everything, let's start over.' If you think you've heard these same excuses before, you're right," Reid said Monday. "When this country belatedly recognized the wrongs of slavery, there were those who dug in their heels and said 'slow down, it's too early, things aren't bad enough.'"

He continued: "When women spoke up for the right to speak up, they wanted to vote, some insisted they simply, slow down, there will be a better day to do that, today isn't quite right.

"When this body was on the verge of guaranteeing equal civil rights to everyone regardless of the color of their skin, some senators resorted to the same filibuster threats that we hear today."

That seemed to be a reference to Thurmond's famous 1957 filibuster -- the late senator switched parties several years later.

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said Reid's remarks were over the top.

"That is extremely offensive," he told Fox News. "It's language that should never be used, never be used. ... Those days are not here now."

Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., suggested Reid was starting to "crack" under the pressure of the health care reform debate.

"I think it's beneath the dignity of the majority leader," Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., said. "I personally am insulted."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/12/07/reid-compares-health-care-reform-foes-slavery-supporters/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+foxnews%252Fpolitics+%2528FOXNews.com+-+Politics%2529

Donger
12-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Harry sounds a little concerned. Isn't that abortion vote today?

RINGLEADER
12-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Harry sounds a little concerned. Isn't that abortion vote today?

Supposedly.

I really hope this thing goes off the rails today...

Chief Henry
12-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Supposedly.

I really hope this thing goes off the rails today...

It sure looks like its heading that way. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Harry has the majority and he's mad at the Republicans. Does he think
we the people are not paying attention ?

HonestChieffan
12-07-2009, 02:18 PM
I sent Clair a copy of this and a question. Do you equate my opposition to this bill as same as being pro slavery?

Bet i never get an answer.....

BucEyedPea
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Reid is projecting.

Chiefshrink
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Reid is projecting.

He is also desperate:thumb:

HonestChieffan
12-07-2009, 02:30 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xU3JeazA3s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xU3JeazA3s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chiefshrink
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
I sent Clair a copy of this and a question. Do you equate my opposition to this bill as same as being pro slavery?

And I know that you know you never will get an answer and how shameful is that?:shake:.

What the Bible is to the Christians is what "Rules for Radicals" are for the Dems. The Democratic party has been hijacked by the these radical lefties and will "Alinskize" at every opportunity as well as the MSM.

googlegoogle
12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
They always use race whenever they're going to lose.

Harry Reid is a Communist and vote buyer.

Think about it.

The only way these idiots get elected is direct payouts to voters.

Do we live in a real untainted democracy or a corrupt system. We are not untainted by votebuying so I'm going with corrupt system that the founders would be disgusted by.

Chiefshrink
12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xU3JeazA3s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xU3JeazA3s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Classic textbook Alinsky and the MSM press will fall right in line either supporting Reid on this or just ignoring it "BUT never " calling him out for this idiotic statement. "IF" a Republican would have said this about Dems? Do you think the MSM would be silent????

Just a pure example of how MSM is sold out to Obama and the progressive left Marxist movement!!!!:shake::shake:

trndobrd
12-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Has anyone heard if Robert Byrd is going to support the final Senate version?

blaise
12-07-2009, 04:10 PM
When in doubt play racial politics.

kcfanXIII
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM

why should she have to answer to you? its not like she works for us or anything. we voted her in, and thats all she needed us for.

Saul Good
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
They are both issues where the Republicans are right. Maybe that's what he means.

Amnorix
12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Reid is projecting.

I'll ignore the fact that you basically point and say "projecting" about 8 times a week, and wonder what Reid could be projecting here.

That his position is akin to the former supporters of slavery, and in denying that, he is ascribing it to others?

That doesn't really make any sense at all.

Radar Chief
12-08-2009, 09:34 AM
I'll ignore the fact that you basically point and say "projecting" about 8 times a day, and wonder what Reid could be projecting here.

FYP. ;)

Chief Henry
12-08-2009, 02:13 PM
bump

Inspector
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm thinking Harry Reid would be a really cool guy to vote against.

BucEyedPea
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Reid wants us to be slaves...so he is projecting.

Chief Faithful
12-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Given the tactics being used by the Republicans was the same tactic used by the Democrats when they were the minority party, does that mean the Democrats also cling to slavery?