PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Senior Al-quaeda leader killed in drone attack

BigRedChief
12-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Source: Senior al-Qaida leader killed by drone
Militant was head of external operations, official tells NBC News
NBC News and news services
updated 4:27 p.m. CT, Fri., Dec . 11, 2009

<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633961672629200000');</SCRIPT>
The al-Qaida extremist killed Tuesday by a U.S. drone strike in northern Pakistan was the group's director of external operations, a senior U.S. counterterrorism official told NBC News on Friday.

Abdirizaq Abdi Saleh, better known by his nom de guerre Saleh al-Somali, was a member of al-Qaida's senior leadership, said the official, and "probably responsible" for planning and executing attacks in the U.S. and Europe.

Al-Somali was killed when two missiles fired from a Predator drone struck his car as he and another man left a home, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

While al-Somali was a senior official, he was not al-Qaida's No. 3 leader after Osama Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri.
The U.S. has long targeted men who held al-Qaida's No. 3 role as director of all international operations. Five of them, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is facing trial in New York, have been killed or captured since 9/11.

The strike marks the first time coalition forces killed a top al-Qaida figure in almost a year.
Al-Somali is the highest-ranking al-Qaida member killed in a Predator attack since January 2008, when his predecessor, Abu Laith al Libi, was killed not far from where al-Somali was hit. Al-Libi was blamed for a suicide bombing outside Bagram air base in Afghanistan during a visit by Vice President Cheney in 2007.

Tuesday's attack happened a week after the White House promised to increase the tempo of Predator attacks in the Pakistani tribal areas.
Pakistan on Thursday denied that any such attack took place, disputing reports that at least four people were killed and four were injured in the Ladha area of South Waziristan province.
The CIA-operated drones have already been increasingly used near the Afghan border. Nearly 50 drone air strikes in northwestern border regions this year have killed about 415 people, including many foreign militants, according to officials and residents.
But Pakistan opposes expanded U.S. drone attacks against militants on its tribal areas, as well as any strikes on Baluchistan, where Washington believes Afghan Taliban leaders are hiding, the foreign ministry said last week.

Anti-American sentiment
Missile strikes from pilotless drone aircraft have created fierce anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, a strategic ally Washington wants to crack down harder on Taliban fighters operating along the porous border with Afghanistan.
The White House has authorized the expansion of the CIA's drone program in Pakistan to complement President Barack Obama's plans to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, the New York Times reported, citing unnamed officials.
It said that for the first time, U.S. officials are talking with Islamabad about the possibility of hitting Baluchistan, where Pakistan is already facing a low-level insurgency from Baluch rebels seeking provincial autonomy.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said there were limits to Pakistani cooperation, and the drone attacks were counterproductive.
"This has never been part of our discussions. There are clear red-lines as far as we're concerned," he said when asked if there were any talks between Washington and Islamabad on expansion of drone attacks to Baluchistan.
"We have clearly conveyed our red-lines to them."

The drone strikes have been limited to Pakistan's ethnic Pashtun tribal regions near the Afghan border, semi-autonomous lands believed to be sanctuaries for al-Qaida and the Taliban.

In outlining his Afghanistan strategy in a speech on Tuesday, Obama made a vague plea to Pakistan to fight the "cancer" of extremism and said the United States would not tolerate Pakistan allowing its territory to be a safe haven for militants.

The militant threat in Pakistan
U.S. lawmakers told Obama's top advisers Dec. 3 that the focus on sending additional troops to Afghanistan ignored the much larger threat of militants across the border in nuclear-armed Pakistan.
Underscoring sensitivities of the drone issue, U.S. officials say strikes are carried out under an agreement with Islamabad that allows Pakistani leaders to decry the attacks in public.

But it is not just a rise in drone attacks, but the widening of the war geographically that worries Pakistanis.

Some of the most prominent militants reported killed by drone attacks include senior al-Qaida member Abu Laith al-Libi and al-Qaida chemical and biological weapons expert Abu Khabab al-Masri.

A drone missile strike in August killed Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, who was responsible for many suicide bombings including one that killed Pakistan's former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, according to Pakistani officials.

NBC News investigative producer Robert Windrem contributed to this report, as did the Associated Press and Reuters.
<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+' (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/'+url+')
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34383765/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34383765/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/)

BIG_DADDY
12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Now if they could just find Obama Bin Laden.

BigRedChief
12-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Now if they could just find Obama Bin Laden.I'm still flabbergasted that someone hasn't turned him in for th3 $25 million finders fee. I'm sure we could also throw in a USA citizenship for the guy who shows us where to point the missle.

HonestChieffan
12-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Never tire of seeing jihadists vaporize. Hope his virgins are all ugly and toothless.

<object width='640' height='385'><param name='movie' value='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' /> <param name='FlashVars' value='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12325.xml' /> <embed src='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' quality='high' width='640' height='385' FlashVars='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12325.xml' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>

Calcountry
12-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm still flabbergasted that someone hasn't turned him in for th3 $25 million finders fee. I'm sure we could also throw in a USA citizenship for the guy who shows us where to point the missle.Why should it take a missile, I would much prefer he be captured, hauled to gtmo, and tortured beyond even the most squeemish liberals wildest fantasy.

BucEyedPea
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
What do they mean by number 3? From the top? It'd be awesome if they got Ayman. He's considered more important then BL even.

Did anyone see the next video that comes up about 4 American college students, picked up by Pakistani police and detained by our FBI ( wtf are they there for?) trying to hook up with a terror group in Pakistan for jihad training. Only the terrorists didn't consider them good enough due to that and a lack of references. ( LOL!) You can't make this stuff up.

Calcountry
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
What do they mean by number 3? From the top? It'd be awesome if they got Ayman. He's considered more important then BL even.What gives us the right to decide who lives or dies amongst these freedom fighters?

InChiefsHell
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Why should it take a missile, I would much prefer he be captured, hauled to gtmo, and tortured beyond even the most squeemish liberals wildest fantasy.

But then he'd get a lawyer, sue us in our own courts, get a book deal, be on Babwa Wawa's 10 most fascinating people list, wind up having dinner with the President, have a scandalous affair with Michelle, be ruined in the press, and die a lonely old drugey, addicted to the very heroin he currently sells the US now...

That takes to long. Just blow the fucker up...

Calcountry
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
But then he'd get a lawyer, sue us in our own courts, get a book deal, be on Babwa Wawa's 10 most fascinating people list, wind up having dinner with the President, have a scandalous affair with Michelle, be ruined in the press, and die a lonely old drugey, addicted to the very heroin he currently sells the US now...

That takes to long. Just blow the ****er up...LMAO

Hydrae
12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
What do they mean by number 3? From the top? It'd be awesome if they got Ayman. He's considered more important then BL even.

Did anyone see the next video that comes up about 4 American college students, picked up by Pakistani police and detained by our FBI ( wtf are they there for?) trying to hook up with a terror group in Pakistan for jihad training. Only the terrorists didn't consider them good enough due to that and a lack of references. ( LOL!) You can't make this stuff up.

FBI is in Afghanistan???

I guess if the CIA can work in the country the FBI may as well do work outside the country. :rolleyes:

Taco John
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
I think they should stick Dog the Bounty Hunter, Bear Grylls, Steven Segall, and Jon Gosselin in Afghanistan with full Letters of Marque, and follow them around with cameras.

BucEyedPea
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I think they should stick Dog the Bounty Hunter, Bear Grylls, Steven Segall, and Jon Gosselin in Afghanistan with full Letters of Marque, and follow them around with cameras.

LMAO It's probably work too. Plus save a load of dough.

BucEyedPea
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
FBI is in Afghanistan???

I guess if the CIA can work in the country the FBI may as well do work outside the country. :rolleyes:

Apparently so. They had the FBI in Iraq too....one of their guys interrogated Saddam. Gives real meaning to us being the world's cop.

DEN 44 KC 13
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
44-13ROFL

Taco John
12-10-2009, 05:17 PM
LMAO It's probably work too. Plus save a load of dough.

I'd sure as hell tune in.

BigRedChief
12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
U.S. officials say top al-Qaida leader killed
Pakistan denies any Predator attack in mountainous province
NBC News and news services
updated 4:05 p.m. CT, Thurs., Dec . 10, 2009
<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633960795327370000');</SCRIPT>
A high-ranking al-Qaida figure was killed Thursday in an attack by a drone aircraft in northwest Pakistan, U.S. officials told NBC News.
The officials did not identify who was killed, except to say that it was not al-Qaida’s supreme leader, Osama bin Laden. If the report is confirmed, it would be the first time coalition forces had killed a top al-Qaida figure in almost a year.
The officials said the killing was the result of stepped-up operations targeting al-Qaida leaders in recent weeks.
Pakistan officially denied that any such attack took place, disputing reports that at least four people were killed and four were injured in a U.S. Predator drone strike in the Ladha area of South Waziristan province. The discrepancy between the U.S. and Pakistani reports could not immediately be resolved.
A senior U.S. counterterrorism official confirmed that the al-Qaida operative was high-ranking but did not identify him. The attack apparently took place in the past day or two.
The U.S. has long targeted men who held al-Qaida's No. 3 role as director of international operations. Five of them, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who is facing trial in New York, have been killed or captured since 9/11. Bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri are symbolic importance as al-Qaida's top two leaders, but the No. 3 man is viewed as the group's operational leader.
The last high-ranking al-Qaida official killed by the U.S. was Abu Laith al-Libi on Jan. 28, 2008, also by a Predator attack. Al-Libi was not in the top three but was blamed for a suicide bombing outside Bagram air base in Afghanistan during a visit by Vice President Cheney in 2007.
The CIA-operated drones have already been increasingly used near the Afghan border. Nearly 50 drone air strikes in northwestern border regions this year have killed about 415 people, including many foreign militants, according to officials and residents.
But Pakistan opposes expanded U.S. drone attacks against militants on its tribal areas, as well as any strikes on Baluchistan, where Washington believes Afghan Taliban leaders are hiding, the foreign ministry said last week.
Anti-American sentiment
Missile strikes from pilotless drone aircraft have created fierce anti-American sentiment in Pakistan, a strategic ally Washington wants to crack down harder on Taliban fighters operating along the porous border with Afghanistan.
The White House has authorized the expansion of the CIA's drone program in Pakistan to complement President Barack Obama's plans to send 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan, the New York Times reported, citing unnamed officials.
It said that for the first time, U.S. officials are talking with Islamabad about the possibility of hitting Baluchistan, where Pakistan is already facing a low-level insurgency from Baluch rebels seeking provincial autonomy.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said there were limits to Pakistani cooperation, and the drone attacks were counterproductive.
"This has never been part of our discussions. There are clear red-lines as far as we're concerned," he said when asked if there were any talks between Washington and Islamabad on expansion of drone attacks to Baluchistan.
"We have clearly conveyed our red-lines to them."
The drone strikes have been limited to Pakistan's ethnic Pashtun tribal regions near the Afghan border, semi-autonomous lands believed to be sanctuaries for al-Qaida and the Taliban.
In outlining his Afghanistan strategy in a speech on Tuesday, Obama made a vague plea to Pakistan to fight the "cancer" of extremism and said the United States would not tolerate Pakistan allowing its territory to be a safe haven for militants.
The militant threat in Pakistan
U.S. lawmakers told Obama's top advisers Dec. 3 that the focus on sending additional troops to Afghanistan ignored the much larger threat of militants across the border in nuclear-armed Pakistan.
Underscoring sensitivities of the drone issue, U.S. officials say strikes are carried out under an agreement with Islamabad that allows Pakistani leaders to decry the attacks in public.
But it is not just a rise in drone attacks, but the widening of the war geographically that worries Pakistanis.

Some of the most prominent militants reported killed by drone attacks include senior al-Qaida member Abu Laith al-Libi and al-Qaida chemical and biological weapons expert Abu Khabab al-Masri.
A drone missile strike in August killed Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, who was responsible for many suicide bombings including one that killed Pakistan's former prime minister Benazir Bhutto, according to Pakistani officials.
NBC News investigative producer Robert Windrem contributed to this report, as did the Associated Press and Reuters.

2009 msnbc.com
<SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+' (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/'+url+')
');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34368206/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34368206/ns/world_news-south_and_central_asia/)

Saul Good
12-10-2009, 07:04 PM

That takes to long. Just blow the ****er up...

You left out the part where Obama bows to him.

Donger
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Never tire of seeing jihadists vaporize. Hope his virgins are all ugly and toothless.

<object width='640' height='385'><param name='movie' value='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' /> <param name='FlashVars' value='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12325.xml' /> <embed src='http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/Main.swf' quality='high' width='640' height='385' FlashVars='config=http://www.apacheclips.com/flv_player/data/playerConfigEmbed/12325.xml' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'></embed></object>

If only that were our southern border.

BucEyedPea
12-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I still wish they'd say the name or who this top guy is. It's important so we can check the veracity of the report.

CrazyPhuD
12-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I think we just need blast off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

RedNeckRaider
12-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I think we just need blast off and nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Pull our troops and turn it into glass~

InChiefsHell
12-11-2009, 08:12 AM

Fuckin' A! /Bill Paxton

FishingRod
12-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Love that movie!

Dallas Chief
12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Fuckin' A! /Bill Paxton

Why don't you put her in charge?!?!- Hudson
Posted via Mobile Device

BigRedChief
12-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Supposely it was Al Somali

He was in charge of all external operations of Al-Quaeda. Which means he was in charge of all planning of attacks on America. Only himself and Bin Laden could approve a plan or an attack in a foreign country or against American interests.