PDA

View Full Version : Life Got a Job offer in IT Sales

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Okay, so many of you know that I am an aspiring pilot. But with this economy as it is, the chances of me flying for a living in the next 2 years is probably not going to happen and may never happen under this jackass called Obama.....

So with that being said, I got a job offer today for a IT outsourcing company in sales. Thing is, they see me as a good salesman, yet I never have offically done a sales job. They offered me a good base salary and a sweet commission package. I would be the first sales person for this company and he offered me a management position as soon as we hired another sales guy.

I am pretty nervous about it. I need the job more than words can describe. Seems like we are right on the edge of broke dick each month... Actually we are broker than broke dick each month...

I told them I would ponder it over the night and send them an email in the am with some questions or concerns that I have.

What questions should I be asking and how do you handle expenses? Do you sales people have them supply you with equipment or do you provide your on and take it off your taxes as expenses?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 07:21 PM
The biggest thing you need to know is how much you will be traveling. If it's just around OKC, you could probably handle driving yourself. If you have to drive to BFE, they're going to need to provide something.

kstater
12-14-2009, 07:25 PM
The biggest thing you need to know is how much you will be traveling. If it's just around OKC, you could probably handle driving yourself. If you have to drive to BFE, they're going to need to provide something.

I'd take it further. Even if it's just in OKC try to work something out. Maybe a travel stipend or 50/50. Salesmen put a ton of miles on vehicles.

And congrats on the new job.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 07:26 PM
So a company auto or an auto expense would be something to consider?

kstater
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM

It will never hurt to ask.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 07:38 PM
It will never hurt to ask.

Okay will ask that...

Thanks!

MahiMike
12-14-2009, 07:40 PM
I would take the job then ask questions. Prove yourself and ask for even more.

Simply Red
12-14-2009, 07:41 PM
well I mean, what have you talked about up until now?

kstater
12-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I would take the job then ask questions. Prove yourself and ask for even more.

Always ask about compensation prior to taking a job. Just make sure you're offered it before asking anything about compensation.

BigRedChief
12-14-2009, 07:46 PM
There is a lot of money is hardware sales. 100K and up.

Simply Red
12-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Always ask about compensation prior to taking a job. Just make sure you're offered it before asking anything about compensation.

Spot-on, Cracker!

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Unless they bring it up first.
Posted via Mobile Device

WilliamTheIrish
12-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Go get 'em RR!

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:17 PM
1) Make sure there is no cap on commission, and make sure that you understand the escalation of percentages (if any).

2) They should supply you with everything you need (cell phone, laptop, etc.) that you'll need to be successful. If you are working from home, you should be allowed to expense your internet connection.

3) I do an expense report after every trip and it should be paid within two weeks. I will not front money. If they don't pay my expenses in time, I will expense the interest on my business credit card.

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:18 PM

If you are to be driving, either a company car or they will allow you to expense miles. If the latter, it should be in the $0.45/mile range.

Saul Good
12-14-2009, 08:23 PM
If you are to be driving, either a company car or they will allow you to expense miles. If the latter, it should be in the $0.45/mile range.

Exactly. The only thing that would make me nervous would be the fact that you are their first salesman. Hopefully, they have enough money to last for a while and aren't some start-up that could be broke in 6 months.

Also, I would ask them to put the commission schedule in writing and commit to it for at least a year or two. I've seen too many places adjust commission structure once the sales people start earning serious money.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM

We did talk about that, it is a very strong compensation package for a sales person...

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
We did talk about that, it is a very strong compensation package for a sales person...

The base should be at least $50K.

AndChiefs
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
The base should be at least $50K.

Depends on how risk-seeking/averse he is. If the variable is high enough he just may want that.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 08:34 PM
1) Make sure there is no cap on commission, and make sure that you understand the escalation of percentages (if any).

2) They should supply you with everything you need (cell phone, laptop, etc.) that you'll need to be successful. If you are working from home, you should be allowed to expense your internet connection.

3) I do an expense report after every trip and it should be paid within two weeks. I will not front money. If they don't pay my expenses in time, I will expense the interest on my business credit card.

Thank you so much for this information! Great Great info.

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Depends on how risk-seeking/averse he is. If the variable is high enough he just may want that.

What part of "broke dick each month" did you not understand? Unless he has a Rolodex full of ready contacts, it'll take some time to close new business. He'll need a decent base until the commissions start up.

AndChiefs
12-14-2009, 08:39 PM
What part of "broke dick each month" did you not understand? Unless he has a Rolodex full of ready contacts, it'll take some time to close new business. He'll need a decent base until the commissions start up.

It's true...it sounds like he'd rather not continue living by his bootstraps. I"m just saying some people like the rush of that and perform better under the pressure.

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Thank you so much for this information! Great Great info.

You're welcome. I got to take control of a Embraer (sp?) 190 today, FYI. Well, sort of. I got to sit on the left seat and put my hands on the yoke and throttle.

On the ground.

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM
It's true...it sounds like he'd rather not continue living by his bootstraps. I"m just saying some people like the rush of that and perform better under the pressure.

IMO, if they aren't paying a decent base, it's not for real. Add to that no benefits, and it's a scam.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Most places use IRS rate. It is pretty favorable unless you drive a POS or a giant gas hog.

Donger
12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Most places use IRS rate. It is pretty favorable unless you drive a POS or a giant gas hog.

Yes, I know. I just don't know what it is right now. Last I checked, it was 0.505 or something. I don't check often because the vast majority of my travel is via aircraft.

dirk digler
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Congrats on the job reerun. I don't have any advice for you since I suck at sales.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Exactly. The only thing that would make me nervous would be the fact that you are their first salesman. Hopefully, they have enough money to last for a while and aren't some start-up that could be broke in 6 months.

Also, I would ask them to put the commission schedule in writing and commit to it for at least a year or two. I've seen too many places adjust commission structure once the sales people start earning serious money.

Good thinking!

Fritz88
12-14-2009, 08:59 PM

Ask about this too.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 08:59 PM
IMO, if they aren't paying a decent base, it's not for real. Add to that no benefits, and it's a scam.

The base is decent.. I feel it is pretty good to start with. They did say they would adjust it if we felt it needed to be after we got started.

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Ask about this too.

No commission cap...

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:08 PM
The base is decent.. I feel it is pretty good to start with. They did say they would adjust it if we felt it needed to be after we got started.

If you are happy with the base, good for you. Are they giving you benefits?

Bwana
12-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Hmmm? I have been in sales all my life and I would consider a few things right out of the gate.

Things to consider:

1. Are you driving your car, or are they providing you with a company car.

2. If it's your car, you likely have to buy the insurance and pay for maintenance (gas) If that's the case, what do they pay you for miles.

3.Meals: How much do they allow you for meals and are those reimbursed?

4. Hotels: Do they let you stay in a Hampton, or Holiday Inn, or do they expect you to stay in a Motel 6, or some other dive? That will tell you a lot about the company. If they expect you to stay in some shithole, they are likely to skimp on most other things with you. Pick a chain and get involved with their rewards program right out of the gate. I have around 400,000 points right now and climbing with Holiday Inn, which will get me some nice things when I decide to cash it in.

5. Do they provide you with a company credit card to put your expenses on, or do you have to use your own. If they make you use your own, how fast do they pay you back after you turn in your expense account at the end of the month? You don't want to pay juice on your card because they are slow. If you use your own, shop around and get a card where you can collect some kind of reward points, airline miles or something. They add up in a hurry.

6. Do you homework on the company in advance via Google. See what people are saying about the company. If there is a lot of negative remarks, run like the wind.

7. What's their 401k structure?

8. What kind of medical insurance program do they have? There are some good ones and there are some real rat soup policies tha tcould end up costing you a lot of money if you have to go in.

9. Do they provide things like paying for at least the majority of your cell bill, provide a fax machine, a laptop, an allowance for your internet bill, a printer and do they pay for the ink carts? All the stuff can suck you dry.

10. When you do get paid your commission, how fast do they pay up. I have see companies that like to hang onto a commission check like it's their last dime. Find out EXACLY how it's structured.

Those are just 10 things to look for off the top of my head. Play it smart and ask questions BEFORE you start and it will save you a lot of pain down the road.

Simply Red
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Yeah RR i was trying to find out in post#9 the ifs and whats you'd discussed, thus far. So that I could see where you were, but; the listed suggestions are mostly top shelf. IMO

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
If you are happy with the base, good for you. Are they giving you benefits?

They would, but I chose to take a higher base and no benefits... My wife has benefits that are out of this world from OU medical center..... So I dont need them...

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Hmmm? I have been in sales all my life and I would consider a few things right out of the gate.

Things to consider:

1. Are you driving your car, or are they providing you with a company car.

2. If it's your car, you likely have to buy the insurance and pay for maintenance (gas) If that's the case, what do they pay you for miles.

4. Hotels: Do they let you stay in a Hampton, or Holiday Inn, or do they expect you to stay in a Motel 6, or some other dive? That will tell you a lot about the company. If they expect you to stay in some shithole, they are likely to skimp on most other things with you. Pick a chain and get involved with their rewards program right out of the gate. I have around 400,000 points right now and climbing with Holiday Inn, which will get me some nice things when I decide to cash it in.

5. Do they provide you with a company credit card to put your expenses on, or do you have to use your own. If they make you use your own, how fast do they pay you back after you turn in your expense account at the end of the month? You don't want to pay juice on your card because they are slow. If you use your own, shop around and get a card where you can collect some kind of reward points, airline miles or something. They add up in a hurry.

6. Do you homework on the company in advance via Google. See what people are saying about the company. If there is a lot of negative remarks, run like the wind.

7. What's their 401k structure?

8. What kind of medical insurance program do they have? There are some good ones and there are some real rat soup policies tha tcould end up costing you a lot of money if you have to go in.

9. Do they provide things like paying for at least the majority of your cell bill, provide a fax machine, a laptop, an allowance for your internet bill?

10. When you do get paid your commission, how fast do they pay up. I have see companies that like to hang onto a commission check like it's their last dime. Find out EXACLY how it's structured.

Those are just 10 things to look for off the top of my head. Play it smart and ask questions BEFORE you start and it will save you a lot of pain down the road.:clap:

Guys, I dont know how to thank you for all this information....

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
well I mean, what have you talked about up until now?

Mostly stuff about ourselves and how the company works. We talked about compensation, but I didnt ask alot of questions about expenses and such... I wanted to ask some people and see what I needed to question about before I accepted it.

That is why I posted on here to see what I needed to ask...

Simply Red
12-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Mostly stuff about ourselves and how the company works. We talked about compensation, but I didnt ask alot of questions about expenses and such... I wanted to ask some people and see what I needed to question about before I accepted it.

& hadn't you mentioned you'd be the first sales-person? That sucks because I was going to suggest that you ask to speak to some of his/their current sales people.

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:26 PM

As their first and only sales weasel, do they have a "list" of leads for you to chase or are they just going to let you loose on your own?

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:26 PM
& hadn't you mentioned you'd be the first sales-person? That sucks because I was going to suggest that you ask to speak to some of his/their current sales people.

Yeah I would be the first sales guy, so would be a big part of the marketing and sales stragety...

I am a little nervous being this new to sales.....

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
As their first and only sales weasel, do they have a "list" of leads for you to chase or are they just going to let you loose on your own?

From what I understand, he has a list to get started on....

Bwana
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
:clap:

Guys, I dont know how to thank you for all this information....

Drop on over and shovel my sidewalk! I have the driveway covered with a blade on one of my ATV's, but the sidewalk is a pain in my ass. :D

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah I would be the first sales guy, so would be a big part of the marketing and sales stragety...

Meh. If I can be so bold, just treat your prospective customers as you demand to be treated. It's about relationships. NEVER screw a customer to get a short-term gain. Earn a loyal base of repeat customers, and you'll be set. It's taken me years, but I don't really need new customers any longer. But, I do it because I enjoy the work.

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:31 PM
From what I understand, he has a list to get started on....

Ask to see it, if you feel comfortable doing so.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 09:35 PM

As a side note, if they give you a stipend, eat as cheap as you can, that can really add up.

Really good advice here. Same with airlines. Don't feel entitled to tell them about it either. It is just a perk for your trouble.

Also good advice. I rack up an assload of Cabela's points just using the card for gas.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Meh. If I can be so bold, just treat your prospective customers as you demand to be treated. It's about relationships. NEVER screw a customer to get a short-term gain. Earn a loyal base of repeat customers, and you'll be set. It's taken me years, but I don't really need new customers any longer. But, I do it because I enjoy the work.

Really? I hate sales. I hate it with my soul.

teedubya
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Buy these two books:

Consultative Selling by Mack Hanan
Little Red Book of Selling by Jeffrey Gitomer

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Buy these two books:

Thanks for the tip Ari!

Buehler445

Sales strategy is the easy part. Getting out there and convincing people is the hard part.

teedubya
This is my coined phrase...

"Relationships are the root of all your revenue."

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Really? I hate sales. I hate it with my soul.

Do you sell?

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Buy these two books:

And this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044669519X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0446673463&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=109VV4XEW18D5506WJSQ

teedubya
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the tip Ari!

And remember, customers don't care about your product. They care about profit and productivity.

If you can show them how to increase revenues... or help them cut costs... or if you can show how your product helps them make more money... you are golden.

I have been selling Local Search and SEO... and there is a ton of money in it... and it is always more successful, when you position cost as an investment... and show the ROI.

If I can help put 500k into their business... then would they mind paying me 50k? It's all relative.

help them position themselves better against their competition... if you position cost and product... you compete against YOUR competition.

:-)

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
This is my coined phrase...

"Relationships are the root of all your revenue."

I actually do very well at creating relationships... I have never met a stranger and can get along with anyone... That is the easy part, they hard part is getting people to close the deal...

teedubya
12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
And this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044669519X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0446673463&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=109VV4XEW18D5506WJSQ

buying it now. Thanks.

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
I actually do very well at creating relationships... I have never met a stranger and can get along with anyone... That is the easy part, they hard part is getting people to close the deal...

Make it a win-win, and it will close itself.

Donger
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
buying it now. Thanks.

My pleasure. Unless, of course, you are competition. In that case, I shall send a group of Ninjas to your abode to kill you.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Do you sell?

No I do not. I have been in some selling situations and, strongly considered a career in it, but I really REALLY hate it.

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
And remember, customers don't care about your product. They care about profit and productivity.

If you can show them how to increase revenues... or help them cut costs... or if you can show how your product helps them make more money... you are golden.

I have been selling Local Search and SEO... and there is a ton of money in it... and it is always more successful, when you position cost as an investment... and show the ROI.

If I can help put 500k into their business... then would they mind paying me 50k? It's all relative.

help them position themselves better against their competition... if you position cost and product... you compete against YOUR competition.

:-)

That's the biggest thing. You have to allign yourself with a company that sells quality products.

Goldmember
12-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your new job! I've been in sales for 25 years and have enjoyed some companies and hated others. One thing about comp plans, they can change like the wind, so be ready for that. Some owners resent salespeople making more than them.

There is some great advice here, but some of these questions are ones you would ask if you're going to work for Microsoft or IBM. A company with one salesperson is not going to offer you a company car. Even most larger companies do not offer cars anymore but an allowance or mileage. I would not ask about what hotels or motels you can stay in. You ask too many questions and they'll think you're going to be a pain in the ass.

Bwana
12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Some other great books to consider:

"Getting to yes," by Robert Fisher and William Ury

"How to master the art of selling," by Tom Hpokins

And the old staple: "How To win friends & influence people," by Dale Carnegie.

Bwana
12-14-2009, 10:04 PM
That's the biggest thing. You have to allign yourself with a company that sells quality products.

Bingo! By doing this, you can sell on "Value" not price.

Dallas Chief
12-14-2009, 10:21 PM

This is a major point of contention between most sales people and the companies they work for. Many companies use the words"reserve the right to alter the plan without notice or cause". That way they can cap your quota attainment at anytime however they see fit. Happens to me all the time. I haven't quit because of it due to the fact that I love my job. Plus my company has given me the ability to live a lifestyle that I never thought I would attain, nor did many others. Plus I get to sell some pretty cool products, which is a perk all on its own. Good luck RR!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Goldmember
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Plus I get to sell some pretty cool products, which is a perk all on its own. Good luck RR!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

What do you sell?

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I sent a list of questions to the owner tonight.. If they come back reasonable, I am going to accept the job....

Like my grandpa always said, "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"

Buehler445
12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
I sent a list of questions to the owner tonight.. If they come back reasonable, I am going to accept the job....

Like my grandpa always said, "a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush"

if you can fit two hands in the bush, then a bird is definitely better. It's just an overall bad situation...

Reerun_KC
12-14-2009, 10:40 PM
if you can fit two hands in the bush, then a bird is definitely better. It's just an overall bad situation...

ROFL

You of all people would know...

SLAG
12-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Mind if I hijack this thread?
to Discuss my own job questions?

Fairplay
12-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Their are times in life when beggars can't be choosy.

(nothing personal reerun)

Fairplay
12-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Damn, when Reerun asks all the right questions mentioned on here the managements going to think twice about hiring him.

Fairplay
12-14-2009, 11:41 PM
Mind if I hijack this thread?
to Discuss my own job questions?

I see that hand raised at the back of the class.

SLAG
12-15-2009, 12:07 AM
I see that hand raised at the back of the class.

to keep it short and sweet

I love my current Job
Out of the blue been offered to interview for a job that pays a bit more but is a different industry and I will be doing somthing way different but still IT related...

I dont know what to do - I love LOVE LOVE my current job, but Money talks...

Reerun_KC
12-15-2009, 12:23 AM

I love my current Job
Out of the blue been offered to interview for a job that pays a bit more but is a different industry and I will be doing somthing way different but still IT related...

I dont know what to do - I love LOVE LOVE my current job, but Money talks... In this economy u might want to think about stability over more money sometimes chasing that cash cows leaves u unemployed left graet jobs I loved for more money and before I knew it I was unemployed
Posted via Mobile Device

SLAG
12-15-2009, 12:33 AM
In this economy u might want to think about stability over more money sometimes chasing that cash cows leaves u unemployed left graet jobs I loved for more money and before I knew it I was unemployed
Posted via Mobile Device

that s a good point, but i would say i feel confident that it would be a move to a stable company

Mr. Flopnuts
12-15-2009, 12:37 AM

I love my current Job

I would never trade in LOVE LOVE LOVE for a bit. Ever.

Fairplay
12-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Tiger traded in love and look what happened.

Something to think about.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Okay, so many of you know that I am an aspiring pilot. But with this economy as it is, the chances of me flying for a living in the next 2 years is probably not going to happen and may never happen under this jackass called Obama.....

So with that being said, I got a job offer today for a IT outsourcing company in sales. Thing is, they see me as a good salesman, yet I never have offically done a sales job. They offered me a good base salary and a sweet commission package. I would be the first sales person for this company and he offered me a management position as soon as we hired another sales guy.

I am pretty nervous about it. I need the job more than words can describe. Seems like we are right on the edge of broke dick each month... Actually we are broker than broke dick each month...

I told them I would ponder it over the night and send them an email in the am with some questions or concerns that I have.

What questions should I be asking and how do you handle expenses? Do you sales people have them supply you with equipment or do you provide your on and take it off your taxes as expenses?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hey - I haven't read through all of the replies and I'm sure there are good comments to consider, but I'm curious about the company.

IT Outsourcing sales is not easy... and it sounds like this is a new company.

What is the experience of their leadership team?
How long has the company been around?

If you have no sales experience, are you at least very familiar with the industry and how to communicate IT Outsourcing strategy with the CIO and VPs at that high level?

What type of support do they provide you throughout the sale?
Is there a "niche" that makes this company special - meaning is it a particular piece of IT, or just a broad jump into IT Outsourcing?

There are a lot of players in this space, many big names and other niche firms that have great reputations. Everyone is looking at IT Outsourcing so it's not a bad field to be in and IT Sales can bring you phenomenal earnings.

I've enjoyed IT Sales since 1994 and I'm far from being the most technical or IT savvy person in the room, ever... but, I'm always in a situation where I have tremendous access to support when I need it.

So, aside from the typical questions about - commission schedules, benefits, expenses, cell, etc... you need to ask how they support you and how they help you get into companies. Granted - you're a hunter and in the end, it's all on you. But, what type of internal sales support (marketing, etc) will you receive?

If you have not been in IT Sales, I'm guessing your network is pretty minimal... what is going to make the CIO or the VP you are calling return your call? Who can you leverage to get in the door and what is the company giving you to compete?

Join LinkedIn if you're not already a member - it's free.

www.linkedin.com (http://www.linkedin.com) and join JigSaw - www.jigsaw.com (http://www.jigsaw.com) - these are two great places to network and find the names/numbers of people you are trying to contact.

Please don't take my questions above as an attempt to freak you out... just wanting to make sure you're mentally prepared. It's tough to pass up a potentially high paying gig when you need the money, but don't do this if you think you won't like it.

There will be long hours... lots of rejection or no replies at times from clients, but if you keep at it and don't take it personally... you can reap great rewards.

Selling is still a relationship deal... if you're a good guy that does right by his clients and you're honest, you'll do good things.

Good luck!

Mile High Mania
12-15-2009, 08:10 AM

Bingo... this is not a quick sales cycle, and with him being the first sales guy... it sounds like a new company.

I don't know where you live, but I'm in Dallas and the base range for this kind of job based on what I've seen is anywhere from $80-120k. It varies on experience obviously and Dallas is a competitive market.

But, IT sales is very lucrative...

Cannibal
12-15-2009, 08:43 AM
I just hope for your sake that Obama doesn't do something to sabotage you getting a job.

Dallas Chief
12-15-2009, 10:16 AM
What do you sell?

Consumer Electronics.

Dallas Chief
12-15-2009, 10:25 AM

I love my current Job

Six months after my first, and best, boss left our company we went out for dinner and drinks in Las Vegas. About two martini's in he leans over to me and says..."Dallas Chief- the Devil you know if a lot less scarier than the Devil you don't yet know" Basically telling me to NOT follow in his footsteps. I'm glad I listened because after 4 years he is looking for a new job (still employed) for the third time. Oh and he'll probably have to move again for the third time in four years. No thanks. Good luck on your decision though...