PDA

View Full Version : Life KC Urban Farming Illegal

NewChief
12-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Thought this might be an interesting read:

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/articles/2009/12/15/news/doc4b073fb706a76010380963.txt?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Urban farmers collide with city rules
By LYNN HORSLEY
The Kansas City Star
Saturday, November 21, 2009 4:07 AM CST
E-mail Print Comment + Font - Font
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Steve Mann doesn’t look like an outlaw as he cheerfully harvests giant rutabagas and luscious lettuce bunches from a friend’s garden in Kansas City, North.

But technically he is violating Kansas City ordinances as he prepares to sell the produce.

Brooke Salvaggio never dreamed that she and her husband, Dan Heryer, were running afoul of city codes when they used a few apprentices in their backyard garden business in south Kansas City.

These foot soldiers in the urban farming revolution have found that, along with locally grown food, they are cultivating a controversy.

While they try to capitalize on blossoming awareness about the benefits of turning lawns into fresh fruits and vegetables, they are colliding with city rules designed to protect Kansas City’s cherished neighborhoods.

Those are rules that the city will be rethinking. But for now, Mann is not allowed to sell produce from a residential property he does not own.

And Salvaggio and Heryer are not allowed to use apprentices in their garden business, dubbed BadSeed Farm, because city codes prohibit outside employees at home occupations.

Urban farming is an issue confronting cities all over the country.

How can they regulate gardening as a home-based business? And how can they manage the chickens, goats and other livestock that enhance a farming operation but prompt complaints about noise and odor from nearby residents?

In this area, people are hoping the Kansas City Council will take the lead in balancing these competing interests.

“Because of Kansas City’s desire to be a green city,” City Planner Patty Noll said, “this council has directed us to make (urban agriculture) a priority.”

Not so fast, says Dona Boley, a neighborhood and historic preservation advocate. She grew up on a farm outside Paola, Kan., and says agriculture doesn’t easily mix with many residential parts of town.

“We want to protect residential neighborhoods,” she said.

In June, the Overland Park City Council denied a permit for four backyard hens despite testimonials about fresh eggs. St. Louis is looking at outlawing roosters. Wyandotte County is considering some livestock restrictions after complaints about horses.

Yet across the country, many communities are welcoming urban agriculture for its small-business potential, especially in economically deprived areas riddled with underused vacant properties.

“Cities are looking at it as much as an economic development issue as a hobby or recreation,” said Alfonso Morales, a University of Wisconsin assistant professor of urban and regional planning who has studied local agricultural initiatives.

Among examples Morales cited: Cleveland and Boston allow urban agriculture districts within their city limits. Sacramento, Calif., has relaxed its rules about front-yard vegetable plantings.

Kansas City is not necessarily unfriendly to urban farmers. It has relatively liberal rules governing chickens and some other aspects of producing local food, noted Katherine Kelly, executive director of the Kansas City Center for Urban Agriculture, which has helped about 50 area urban farms.

But as the movement gains momentum, Kelly said she thought Kansas City’s code could be even more progressive and serve as a model for other cities.

Judging from the 100 people who packed a late October meeting at Salvaggio’s and Heryer’s BadSeed Farmer’s Market, 1909 McGee St., the urban farming movement here has a lot of support. City Councilman John Sharp, whose district includes Salvaggio’s backyard farm near Bannister and State Line roads, told the crowd that he thought Kansas City could tweak its rules on gardening businesses. He said the city would also look at modifying its restrictions on chickens and livestock, although he admitted that was likely to be more contentious.

“We don’t want to generate constant traffic, but if we allow people to grow vegetables for more than their own use, there has to be some way for them to sell them,” Sharp said in an interview.

“I think urban farming is an inevitable trend in the U.S. I think we can encourage more urban agriculture without destabilizing neighborhoods. In fact, if it’s done right, this will enhance neighborhoods.”

In Kansas City, gardeners can have up to 15 chickens and even two goats — if they meet certain distance restrictions from structures.

But as Salvaggio and Heryer found out when someone this summer called animal control, three goats can get you in trouble. (The urban farmers say three goats are more content than two.)

An August public hearing about the goats prompted the city to review its rules — and provoked passionate views from opponents and supporters.

“My wife and I strongly object to the use of this property for multiple goats,” witness Barry Seward testified. “And certainly, we have concerns about chickens and other wildlife or animals in the neighborhood.”

Supporters argued the 1-acre garden was a community asset and that the three goats were cleaner and better behaved than most dogs.

“It is a beautiful piece of property,” witness Jane Carol said, adding that it was a better use of the land than just a lawn.

Salvaggio and Heryer lost their appeal and sent the goats to a rural farm in Kansas. They subsequently learned about the rules prohibiting apprentices and barring customers from picking up their produce on-site. They are complying with those rules but are not sure they can run a successful farm under such constraints next spring.

Urban farmer Steve Mann, active in a Kansas City group Food Not Lawns, said the BadSeed Farm was the “poster child” for why Kansas City’s rules needed to be changed.

“This is how you build community,” he said.

Yet Boley, the neighborhood advocate, wondered where Kansas City would draw the line if it relaxed its rules for small commercial produce operations in residential areas.

“If you’re selling, it’s like you have a nursery, or a kennel,” she said. “It’s like parking a business down in a residential neighborhood. Business rules need to apply.”

Boley knows from her childhood on a farm that the issues concerning chickens, rabbits and other livestock are even more difficult.

“Chicken (excrement) is everywhere,” she said. “I don’t think it’s appropriate within residential zones.”

Carol Winterowd, a past neighborhood president who lives two blocks from the BadSeed Farm, also wants to ensure that Kansas City doesn’t jeopardize neighborhood stability.

“Everyone has their own picture of what a neighborhood should look like,” she said. “I just want to be sure the neighborhood quality of life is not compromised.”

Morales, the assistant professor, said urban agriculture needn’t threaten strong residential character and could increase property values. There are ways to impose distance and setback requirements, landscape screening guidelines and other restrictions to limit animal impact and make sure gardens don’t become unsightly, he said.

Sharp said he believed the city could deal with the home-based business issues before the next planting season, although animal issues may take longer.

Salvaggio and Heryer said they may need to find a new location with more acreage to run their business successfully. But they have no intention of disappearing into the country. Heryer said the urban farming debate could educate the public and benefit the community.

“It doesn’t have to be a point of division,” he said. “It can be a point of unity.”

NewChief
12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
And Badseed farms is pretty well known on the national level for urban farming. They were the ones that were doing that chicken butchering workshop with Novella Carpenter that I posted about a while ago.

Jilly
12-15-2009, 11:38 AM
So you can still grow it, just not sell it?

NewChief
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah, I think that's the gist of it.

MOhillbilly
12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
my stoopied hippie friend took a pig as partial payment for a job. Dumbass thought he was gonne keep it in town. Started talkin like he was farmer john. My Bro who happens to live next door was about to blow a gasket.
It now resides at the farm.

Jilly
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I think that's the gist of it.

can you share it....like a community garden?

Reaper16
12-15-2009, 11:40 AM
The KC area is quietly one of the best farm-to-table food scenes in the country (its quietly one of the top 10 overall food cities in the country too). But this stance on urban farming is something that needs to be corrected. KC has a gigantic list of problems that it should be more concerned with than people growing vegetables to sell.

Scorp
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM

You can legally sell it if you are in possession of a tax stamp, problem is you can't buy a tax stamp. Wait this isn't the same subject.....errrr nevermind.

Jilly
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
The KC area is quietly one of the best farm-to-table food scenes in the country (its quietly one of the top 10 overall food cities in the country too). But this stance on urban farming is something that needs to be corrected. KC has a gigantic list of problems that it should be more concerned with than people growing vegetables to sell.

Have you been to the Bluebird?

Reaper16
12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Have you been to the Bluebird?
Yeah. You go there a lot if you have a vegetarian girlfriend.

Jilly
12-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah. You go there a lot if you have a vegetarian girlfriend.

Poor you. Lydia's also uses a lot of KC grown veggies and dairy as well.....I didn't know that until I went there, not sure why we're so secret about these things.

Bob Dole
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
As someone who lives in a part of the country chock full 'o chicken farms, Bob Dole would be extremely vocal about anyone wanting to keep more than one chicken in a residential area. In quantity, chickens give hogs a run for their money in the stench department.

Reaper16
12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
As someone who lives in a part of the country chock full 'o chicken farms, Bob Dole would be extremely vocal about anyone wanting to keep more than one chicken in a residential area. In quantity, chickens give hogs a run for their money in the stench department.
It'd be a good way to cover up the stench of blood and spent crack vials in the streets.

NewChief
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM

There's a big difference in smell between a few chickens in a yard and a good old Tyson chicken house.

LaChapelle
12-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Goats reek
bad

NewChief
12-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Goats reek
bad

We always had goats growing up, though we kept them in a portable pen and used them to clear our woods (great method of land clearing, btw). I never remember them stinking, but we didn't really keep them in our yard either.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2009, 12:37 PM

I agree that municipal governments should rethink statutes that discourage urban farming within reason. And there's the problem: Within reason.

My grandmother kept bees, harvested from apple, pear, plum and cherry trees, blackberry and raspberry bushes, as well as a very bountiful vegetable garden, all in urban Cleveland. Her lot — and the "vacant" lot she owned next door, which was where the majority of her produce was grown — was the best kept property in the neighborhood. It would have been a shame had she not been able to operate her urban farm. (She gave away, bartered and sold some produce, as well as consumed it.)

She also had a small vineyard over her driveway which produced grapes that she made into wine (no problem in allowable quantities, which she certainly exceeded) and brandy (big problem in any quantity), but that's another matter.

Back to urban farming in general: If I were in a covenant-controlled neighborhood that did not allow urban farming, I'd have to support the home owners' will in this regard. Personally, though, I'd want side with the urban farmer and I'd have to be talked out of that prejudice on a case by case basis.

NewChief
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree that municipal governments should rethink statutes that discourage urban farming within reason. And there's the problem: Within reason.

My grandmother kept bees, harvested from apple, pear, plum and cherry trees, blackberry and raspberry bushes, as well as a very bountiful vegetable garden, all in urban Cleveland. Her lot — and the "vacant" lot she owned next door, which was where the majority of her produce was grown — was the best kept property in the neighborhood. It would have been a shame had she not been able to operate her urban farm. (She gave away, bartered and sold some produce, as well as consumed it.)

She also had a small vineyard over her driveway which produced grapes that she made into wine (no problem in allowable quantities, which she certainly exceeded) and brandy (big problem in any quantity), but that's another matter.

Back to urban farming in general: If I were in a covenant-controlled neighborhood that did not allow urban farming, I'd have to support the home owners' will in this regard. Personally, though, I'd want side with the urban farmer and I'd have to be talked out of that prejudice on a case by case basis.

Your grandmother sounds like an interesting lady. Very cool.

ClevelandBronco
12-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Your grandmother sounds like an interesting lady. Very cool.

Off-the-boat, old country Slovene. Yes, she was very cool.

Groves
12-15-2009, 01:00 PM
my stoopied hippie friend took a pig as partial payment for a job. Dumbass thought he was gonne keep it in town. Started talkin like he was farmer john. My Bro who happens to live next door was about to blow a gasket.

Springfield has some rules about keeping livestock in town: chickens, ducks, geese, horses, sheep, goats, cows......but there's only one rule about pigs.....NO PIGS in town.

Extra Point
12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like this guy Sharp is riding the fence. Rules is rules. I'm sure the city is collecting on the permit at 19th & McGee, so the city can help pay Sharp's salary. These "farmers" can't account for the help's hours, which would be a tax return nightmare-- gotta pay that city earnings tax.

In the city: plants, yes; livestock, no.

Mr. Laz
12-15-2009, 02:10 PM
vegetables are one thing ... livestock completely different.

i don't have a problem with having some control to the "business" aspect of all of it either.

you wanna grow a garden and feed yourself ... go for it.

you wanna grow a garden and start a business ... well there's much more to it.

Inspector
12-15-2009, 03:16 PM
One of my kids has a small farm with a bunch of chickens, several goats, horses, cats, dog, etc....

He keeps the whole family in free eggs.

And he lives in Independence MO. 5 acres.

NewChief
12-18-2009, 11:43 AM
More on seed consolidation:

http://civileats.com/2009/12/18/why-seed-consolidation-matters/

Why Seed Consolidation MattersBUSINESS AND TECHNOLOGYFOOD POLICYLIFE ON THE FARMDecember 18th, 2009 By Paula Crossfield
What would you say if I told you that one company is making decisions about what you eat? As it turns out, a new report [pdf] released last week by the Farmer to Farmer Campaign on Genetic Engineering reveals that Monsanto controls the genetic traits — and thus the seeds — of most of the corn, soy and cotton grown in the US; and that they are using their control of the market to raise prices on their products and limit access to non-genetically modified (GM) seed.

This means that farmers are unable to make decisions about what they grow, and also that they grow more to make ends meet, pushing more corn and soy on the market to be processed in to a proliferation of packaged foods — making up most of what is available to eat. This report details the history of seed consolidation (including excellent visuals mapping larger chemical companies’ acquisitions of smaller seed companies), provides recommendations, and importantly, gives a voice to some of the affected farmers from all over the United States.

It will be useful reading for the Department of Justice (DoJ) because as we wrote back in August, the DoJ is investigating Monsanto and other agribusiness companies for antitrust activity. In addition, the DoJ and the USDA will hold workshops all over the nation beginning in Iowa on March 12th, 2010, where farmers have been invited to discuss the issues of concern to them. In addition, the DoJ is taking public comments on the issue: you can email agriculturalworkshops@usdoj.gov to add you thoughts to the investigation before December 31st.

This report comes in the wake of many other striking information, including an investigation by AP into confidential contracts that showed how the agribusiness giant is “squeezing competitors, controlling smaller seed companies and protecting its dominance over the multibillion-dollar market for genetically altered crops.” We also reported a few weeks ago on new research revealing that the use of GM corn, soy and cotton seed raised pesticide use 318 million pounds in 13 years, increasing the prevalence of ’superweeds’ resistant to herbicides. Another report by the Organic Center also confirms that seed prices have been rising sharply.

As Tom Philpott reported over at Grist, Monsanto is taking this investigation seriously. In fact, the company has already hired a lawyer named Jerry Crawford, who happens to be a friend and financial supporter (to the tune of $150,000) of the USDA Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack.

Seeds used to be a widely available public resource. Since the Bayh-Dole act of 1980, universities have been able to patent plant genetics, and thus make them unavailable to the public domain. The DoJ investigations should not be about paving the way for corporate giants Syngenta and DuPont to compete with their own GM seeds — but focus on what is of interest to farmers and eaters: biodiversity.

Extra Point
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving seed consolidation: Further breeding the seed to fight the superweeds that the initial super seed fought.

Saw an interesting documentary about the sources of various foods we eat; for instance potatoes are from the Andes, corn is from Central America, etc. In that show, it was indicated that the specific Russet variety of potato that's grown for restaurant french fries, is subject to a possible blight. A possible blight would be more devastating than the European potato blight that starved Ireland in the 1880's, which was a major contributing force in the mass exodus to the US. The pesticides necessary for making sure that your fast food fries, has made some of the potato farmers grow their own, separate crop, as they know what they're putting in the soil, and down others' gullets.

Biodiversity is definitely important, to the extent that an original strain from Mexico saved European corn farming and consumption.

(Oh, shit, I watch too much TV.)

Iowanian
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM

*disclaimer if needed...grew up on farm raising pigs, cattle, chickens..and at various points goats, meat rabbits and horses.*

Some may recall when I made a move to my hometown, on the first day I caught a pig running at the edge of my dad's timber. I spent months and too much feed raising that damn thing. Single pigs don't do well at all, make a mountain of crap and would be terrible in town.

Some people have chickens in town and most don't cause any problems, however neighbors HATE a crowing rooster...especially one with a scratch on its' record that crows all day. 2 people in my town have cattle in the city limits(grandfathered in). 1 never causes any troubles and you wouldn't know they existed...the other has shitty fences and is a piss poor example.

Community gardens are a big deal now as are farmer's markets. I'd much rather an empty lot was gardened(if taken care of) than left vacant and occasionally mowed.

Common sense says leave these people alone, but reality says neighbors complain, some will be less responsible and fertilize with smelly manure etc...It's a no-win situation for the KC City Council.

NewChief
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
This is a great essay that, I think, addresses many of the arguments in this thread:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook6-2010jan06,0,6888223.story
The facts about food and farming
Let's not join one of the armed camps deeply suspicious of one another shouting past each other.
By Russ Parsons
January 6, 2010
E-mailPrint
Text Size

One of the more pleasing developments of the last decade has been the long-overdue beginning of a national conversation about food -- not just the arcane techniques used to prepare it and the luxurious restaurants in which it is served, but, much more important, how it is grown and produced.

The only problem is that so far it hasn't been much of a conversation. Instead, what we have are two armed camps deeply suspicious of one another shouting past each other (sound familiar?).

On the one side, the hard-line aggies seem convinced that a bunch of know-nothing urbanites want to send them back to Stone Age farming techniques. On the other side, there's a tendency by agricultural reformers to lump together all farms (or at least those that aren't purely organic, hemp-clad mom-and-pop operations) as thoughtless ravagers of the environment.

Well, at least we're thinking about it, so I suppose that's a start. But the issues we're facing are not going to go away, and they are too important to be left to the ideologues. What I'd like to see happen in the next decade is a more constructive give-and-take, the start of a true conversation.

With that goal in mind, I'd like to propose a few ground rules that might help move us into the next phase -- fundamental principles that both sides should be able to agree on.

* Agriculture is a business. Farming without a financial motive is gardening. I use that line a lot when I'm giving talks, and it always gets a laugh. But it's deadly serious. Not only do farmers have expenses to meet just like any other business, but they also need to be rewarded when they do good work. Any plan that places further demands on farmers without an offsetting profit incentive is doomed to fail.

* What's past is past. Over the last 50 years, American farmers performed an agricultural miracle, all but eliminating hunger as a serious health issue in this country. But that battle has been won, and though those gains must be maintained, the demands of today -- developing a system that delivers flavor as well as quantity and does it in an environmentally friendly way -- are different.

* Food is not just a culinary abstraction. No matter how much you and I might appreciate the amazing bounty produced by talented, quality-driven farmers, we also have to acknowledge that sometimes food is . . . well, just food. So when we start dreaming about how to make our epicurean utopia, we also have to keep in mind that our first obligation is to make sure that healthful, fresh food remains plentiful and inexpensive enough that anyone can afford it.

* There's no free pass on progress. Just because you've always farmed a certain way does not mean that you are owed the right to continue farming that way in the future. The days of a small or medium-sized farm making a decent profit growing one or two crops and marketing it through the traditional commodity route are long past. The world is changing, and those who can adapt are the ones who will be successful.

* The world is not black and white. The issues facing agriculture today are much more complicated than lining up behind labels such as "local" and "organic," no matter how praiseworthy they might seem in the abstract.

* No farm is an island. That's not literally true, of course; there are several island farms in the Sacramento Delta. But even there, farmers have to remember that they're living in an ever-more crowded state where their actions affect others. Assuming that what happens on your land is nobody's business but your own just doesn't work anymore.

* Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Holding out for an unattainable dream may mean losing a chance at a more easily realized goal. At the same time, just because an idea may not be the perfect answer, it doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to it. A completely locavore diet is, well, loco, but buying as much locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables as you can is just common sense.

* Quality is more expensive than quantity. Farming fruits and vegetables that are not just healthful but also have great flavor takes a lot of time and work and usually means not growing as much as a neighbor who doesn't focus on flavor. So when you're shopping, don't begrudge a good farmer a little higher price -- that's what it takes to keep him in business.

* You don't climb a ladder starting at the top rung. In a system as complex as our food supply, change is evolutionary. Remember long-term goals, but focus on what's immediately achievable. Any argument that begins, "All we have to do is rewrite the Farm Bill," is probably decades, if not centuries, from reality. But there are plenty of small things we can do now to start us down that road.

* Don't assume that those who disagree with you are evil, stupid or greedy. And even when they are, that doesn't relieve you of the responsibility for making a constructive and convincing argument.

* What's political is also personal. If you believe in something, you should be willing to make sacrifices to support it, even if it's expensive or inconvenient. Wailing about farmers who use pesticides and then balking at paying extra for organic produce is hypocritical because the yields in organic farming are almost always lower. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with doing the best you can whenever you can -- as long as you're willing to accept compromises from the other guy too.

* Finally, and most important: Beware the law of unintended consequences. Developing tasteless fruits and vegetables was not the goal of the last Green Revolution; it was a side effect of a system designed to eliminate hunger by providing plentiful, inexpensive food, but that also ended up rewarding quantity over quality. We should always keep in mind that when we're dreaming of a system that focuses on the reverse, we run the risk of creating something far worse than strawberries that bounce.