PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Can Bowe Save The Chiefs?

Hammock Parties
12-16-2009, 11:20 PM
http://kan.scout.com/2/929915.html

When we last saw Dwayne Bowe, the Chiefs appeared to be turning the corner.

It was November 15, and Kansas City had not only beaten the Oakland Raiders 16-10, it might have been their most complete game of the season. The Chiefs threw for over 200 yards, ran for over 100 and Bowe was in the middle of it all, catching six passes for 91 yards, his second-best total in 2009.

Even without Bowe, the upswing continued a week later against the Pittsburgh Steelers in a thrilling 27-24 win. It might have been Matt Cassel (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4210794)’s best game this season, as he threw for 248 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions. At the time, it appeared as if the Chiefs perhaps didn’t need Bowe as much as some had previously thought.

Three weeks later, that hypothesis has been smashed to bits. Based on blowouts against the Chargers and Broncos, and a disappointing game against bottom-feeder Buffalo, not only do the Chiefs need Dwayne Bowe (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307406), they are desperate for him. If there is any hope that Kansas City can re-locate that corner they appeared to be turning a month ago and finish what they started, Bowe has to be a big part of it.

The numbers the Chiefs have posted this season bear out that when Bowe is on the field, KC’s passing game is markedly different. Without him, Cassel’s production drops by over 30 yards (197.4 to 164.8). Even more shocking is how his touchdown-to-interception ratio turns 180 degrees.

With Bowe, Cassel has thrown 10 touchdowns against six interceptions in eight games. That’s quite a stark contrast when compared to three touchdowns against seven interceptions when KC’s quarterback is Bowe-less. It all adds up to nearly a 10-point swing in quarterback rating, not to mention two wins against one.

The Bowe phenomenon goes much deeper than cumulative stats. Without him, in games against the Eagles and Broncos, the Chiefs posted their two worst outings in the passing game, as Cassel threw for just 90 and 84 yards. Along the same lines, two of Cassel’s three lowest-rated games in 2009 - against Denver and Buffalo the last two weeks - have come without Bowe in the lineup.

Bowe’s best games this season came against Washington and Oakland, and the Chiefs won both. His second and third-best games? Narrow losses to the Cowboys and Jaguars.

The message is clear – as Bowe goes, so the Chiefs go. Even so, there’s a statistical indication that perhaps Bowe isn’t capable of being KC’s Superman. Because what good is he, really, if his offense isn’t even averaging so much as a full point more when he’s in the lineup?

That’s where the numbers end up. For all that extra production in the passing game, Bowe’s presence only adds up to 14.9 points per game, against 14.2 when he’s missing. That doesn’t really inspire much confidence that things will change when he returns this Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

Can we find some other Bowe-centric ray of hope? Perhaps, in the odd timing of Bowe exiting KC’s starting lineup just as Jamaal Charles (http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=8&c=1&nid=4307409) was emerging as KC’s feature back. Charles ripped off his first 100-yard game of the season in Bowe’s last game, against Oakland. Was it coincidence that the Chiefs had one of their more productive days on offense as Charles’ emergence coincided with Bowe’s last game, which just happened to be one of his best?

There’s an argument to be made that with Chris Chambers drawing more deep coverage these days and Charles providing a legitimate threat in the backfield, Bowe’s presence as a possession receiver is the only element lacking for the Chiefs’ offense to reach its full potential. At least, for this season, because offensive line help isn’t on the way until the spring.

So, if you were looking for a glimmer of hope as the Chiefs play out their last three games, that’s it. There’s some proof that Dwayne Bowe is just what they need. It’s been a long season, but there’s still time to make progress. Maybe Bowe can be the catalyst.

Dave Lane
12-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Bowe can't save the Chiefs but he will definitely help.

cdirty
12-16-2009, 11:23 PM
i hope he has a big game.

for my fantasy teams sake.

LaChapelle
12-16-2009, 11:24 PM
...it might have been their most complete game of the season. The Chiefs threw for over 200 yards, ran for over 100...

I couldn't go on

Smed1065
12-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Interesting to see with CC too.

T-post Tom
12-17-2009, 12:19 AM
At this point, not even a team of tiny Ditkas coached by Chuck Norris could save this team. :deevee:

tyler360
12-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Only the holy Tebow can save us from this mess

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Bowe isn't a good receiver, and he drops too many balls/CP Moran Contingent.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2009, 03:06 AM
Only the holy Tebow can save us from this mess

Drafting Tebow as a Quarterback is where you learn that the "Messiah" is really the Anti-Christ, and your franchise hath been marked for eternal damnation.

Pioli Zombie
12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
In a way it would be fun to read the mental breakdowns on CP if the Chiefs lose to the Browns. It would be like doing a Progress Note audit of a State Hospital.
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Dawg
12-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Bowe is nobody at the position. I want him to be great but it doesn't seem like he ever will be. He's been in the dog house for his work ethic the whole season. He doesn't have the drive to be great. If he can't run routes and get open by now then he never will be able to. Not to mention his drops every game. Crabtree is already better than Bowe with no camp and in his first year. Can anyone think of a team that doesn't have a WR better than Bowe.

Red Dawg
12-17-2009, 07:26 AM
Bowe isn't a good receiver, and he drops too many balls/CP Moran Contingent.

This is 100% correct. If Bowe can't run routes and catch the ball by now he will never be good. He's not fast and never will be and there's nothing that can be done about it. It's well documented that he doesn't work hard at being great either. Crabtree with no camp is already a better WR than Bowe. I want him to be the man but it's just not going to happen. Can anyone think of team that doesn't have a better WR than Bowe?

We need a game changer at WR and Bowe ain't it.

BossChief
12-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Bowe is nobody at the position. I want him to be great but it doesn't seem like he ever will be. He's been in the dog house for his work ethic the whole season. He doesn't have the drive to be great. If he can't run routes and get open by now then he never will be able to. Not to mention his drops every game. Crabtree is already better than Bowe with no camp and in his first year. Can anyone think of a team that doesn't have a WR better than Bowe.ROFL

This is 100% correct. If Bowe can't run routes and catch the ball by now he will never be good. He's not fast and never will be and there's nothing that can be done about it. It's well documented that he doesn't work hard at being great either. Crabtree with no camp is already a better WR than Bowe. I want him to be the man but it's just not going to happen. Can anyone think of team that doesn't have a better WR than Bowe?

ROFL

Post more!!!

ROFL

OnTheWarpath15
12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
...it might have been their most complete game of the season. The Chiefs threw for over 200 yards, ran for over 100...

I couldn't go on

ROFL

Yeah, I had to stop there too.

HemiEd
12-17-2009, 10:44 AM
ROFL

Yeah, I had to stop there too.

x3 Coincidence? Probably not.

ModSocks
12-17-2009, 10:45 AM

WTF? are you kidding me? No he isn't fast. But neither was/is T.O, or Fitz, or Boldin. Bowe does not have bad hands, he has technique problems catching the ball. Bowe is a beast after the catch, has the ability to win many jump balls and make the athletic grab, actually has a fire to play the game.

He doesn't have the drive to be one of the best? I guess that would explain why he trained with Fitz in the offseason, whom he considers to be the best. Because HE doesn't wanna be the best right?

And a Team that doesn't have a better WR then Bowe? Sure, lets start in our division and branch our way out:

Oakland-Dropsies anyone?
Cleavland-Masa who?
St. Louis-Avery....midget ass WR is nowhere near Bowe's talent lvl
Tampon Bay....They have...Bryant? How long has he been in the league for and what has he proven?
Washington.....No game Changers here. Just a couple of guys who have already peaked and are nowhere near as dominant
Buffalo...........T.O is done, an old version of Bowe....Evans...meh, guy hasn't produced in forever
SAN FRANCISCO-No Crabtree is not better you idiot
J-Ville
NYJ.............Edwards? Really? Dude has worse hands then Bowe
Baltimore.........Who knows when Mark Clayton will show up...and Mason...Dude is retiring, old and slow
Miami.............Gin=bust
Dallas.............How long did it take Miles Austin to come to fruition? And Williams? ****a please....

Debatable:
Tenn
Seattle..........TJ is so ****ing old for a WR, and now looks like it in Seattle too..and how long did it take him to become a star?
San Diego.......Don't you think Bowe could out grab jump balls over shorter CB's all day long to? That's all the SD WR's do.
Atlanta.........Pretty close here

Oh and lets not forget, he had Huard and Thigpen throwing slants to him all day. He spent his last two years under Herm Edwards catching slants, with no Vet Wr mentoring him. And then you wonder why he is a little behind in his Route Running. How long did it take for Fitz to blossom?

Demonpenz
12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
watching the bad balls huard threw at bowe then watching the bad balls cassel throws bowe is going to help

SenselessChiefsFan
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
WTF? are you kidding me? No he isn't fast. But neither was/is T.O, or Fitz, or Boldin. Bowe does not have bad hands, he has technique problems catching the ball. Bowe is a beast after the catch, has the ability to win many jump balls and make the athletic grab, actually has a fire to play the game.

He doesn't have the drive to be one of the best? I guess that would explain why he trained with Fitz in the offseason, whom he considers to be the best. Because HE doesn't wanna be the best right?

And a Team that doesn't have a better WR then Bowe? Sure, lets start in our division and branch our way out:

Oakland-Dropsies anyone?
Cleavland-Masa who?
St. Louis-Avery....midget ass WR is nowhere near Bowe's talent lvl
Tampon Bay....They have...Bryant? How long has he been in the league for and what has he proven?
Washington.....No game Changers here. Just a couple of guys who have already peaked and are nowhere near as dominant
Buffalo...........T.O is done, an old version of Bowe....Evans...meh, guy hasn't produced in forever
SAN FRANCISCO-No Crabtree is not better you idiot
J-Ville
NYJ.............Edwards? Really? Dude has worse hands then Bowe
Baltimore.........Who knows when Mark Clayton will show up...and Mason...Dude is retiring, old and slow
Miami.............Gin=bust
Dallas.............How long did it take Miles Austin to come to fruition? And Williams? ****a please....

Debatable:
Tenn
Seattle..........TJ is so ****ing old for a WR, and now looks like it in Seattle too..and how long did it take him to become a star?
San Diego.......Don't you think Bowe could out grab jump balls over shorter CB's all day long to? That's all the SD WR's do.
Atlanta.........Pretty close here

Oh and lets not forget, he had Huard and Thigpen throwing slants to him all day. He spent his last two years under Herm Edwards catching slants, with no Vet Wr mentoring him. And then you wonder why he is a little behind in his Route Running. How long did it take for Fitz to blossom?

Just FYI. Crabtree has more yards, and more catches. He has played in one less game, and missed all of training camp.

And, if you every watch him, he has great technique. He makes the hard catches, but doesn't lose concentration on the easy ones.

Bowe is a middle tier WR right now. There are at least 10 other WR's I would rather have.

Now, I hope, I really HOPE that Haley can develop him. Haley has been total fail to this point... so I hope Bowe coming of age is the silver lining to the dark Haley period.

But, RIGHT NOW, he is a middle of the road WR. Yeah, he starts on most teams in the league. But, he isn't top ten.

ModSocks
12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Just FYI. Crabtree has more yards, and more catches. He has played in one less game, and missed all of training camp.

And, if you every watch him, he has great technique. He makes the hard catches, but doesn't lose concentration on the easy ones.

Bowe is a middle tier WR right now. There are at least 10 other WR's I would rather have.

Now, I hope, I really HOPE that Haley can develop him. Haley has been total fail to this point... so I hope Bowe coming of age is the silver lining to the dark Haley period.

But, RIGHT NOW, he is a middle of the road WR. Yeah, he starts on most teams in the league. But, he isn't top ten.

He also has a good TE in Vernon Davis to draw attention away from him, a running game that opposing D's must respect, and an O that probably see's a lot more time on the field thanks to there D. Crabtree has a better team than Bowe. So those number may be a bit misleading.

As far as training camp goes, that argument is void. Bowe hardly got to develop chemistry with Cassel thanks to Haley, and we threw everything they worked on during camp out the door the week before the season started.

Im willing to bet Bowe sees a lot more double teams then Crabtree does. This Browns game should be a bit more telling now that Bowe has Chambers opposite of him, hopefully reducing the attention that Bowe gets from the D. Either that, or Bowe will get that attention still, and Chambers will hopefully start putting up the numbers like when he first arrived here. Wishful thinking, i know.

Im not saying Crabtree is bad, but i still think Bowe is better.

ModSocks
12-17-2009, 01:27 PM

Oh, and i agree that Crabtree has better hands right now, but Bowe is a physical speciman that Crabtree is not. Bowe's hands will improve, but Crabtree isn't getting any taller and doesn't have the frame to pack on the mass that Bowe does.

keg in kc
12-17-2009, 01:28 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens Sunday. Maybe the turnover explosion is a coincidence. Maybe it's not.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2009, 03:34 PM
In a way it would be fun to read the mental breakdowns on CP if the Chiefs lose to the Browns. It would be like doing a Progress Note audit of a State Hospital.
Posted via Mobile Device

Progress note? Eh, more like final exam for Gimpy McNoodle-Arm. Bad game = please leave.
If you can't engineer this, you can't engineer period.

Red Dawg
12-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh, and i agree that Crabtree has better hands right now, but Bowe is a physical speciman that Crabtree is not. Bowe's hands will improve, but Crabtree isn't getting any taller and doesn't have the frame to pack on the mass that Bowe does.

Pack on the mass? Bowe is large enough. We have seen as good as Bowe will ever be already. I wish it wasn't true but that's the way it is. Slow, bad route runner and catches like shit. Top 10? He's not even top 20 in the league.

Red Dawg
12-17-2009, 05:04 PM
He also has a good TE in Vernon Davis to draw attention away from him, a running game that opposing D's must respect, and an O that probably see's a lot more time on the field thanks to there D. Crabtree has a better team than Bowe. So those number may be a bit misleading.

As far as training camp goes, that argument is void. Bowe hardly got to develop chemistry with Cassel thanks to Haley, and we threw everything they worked on during camp out the door the week before the season started.

Im willing to bet Bowe sees a lot more double teams then Crabtree does. This Browns game should be a bit more telling now that Bowe has Chambers opposite of him, hopefully reducing the attention that Bowe gets from the D. Either that, or Bowe will get that attention still, and Chambers will hopefully start putting up the numbers like when he first arrived here. Wishful thinking, i know.

Im not saying Crabtree is bad, but i still think Bowe is better.

Chemistry? Didn't seem to bother Favre. Bowe does not get open. That's his problem. easily covered.

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Chemistry? Didn't seem to bother Favre. Bowe does not get open. That's his problem. easily covered.

Cassel is not Favre. Not even close. Not even in a drug-induced, "Jim Morrison in the desert"- trip.

The FAIL. Dear God the FAIL. Oh sweet merciful Tebow the FAIL on your part.

ModSocks
12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Pack on the mass? Bowe is large enough. We have seen as good as Bowe will ever be already. I wish it wasn't true but that's the way it is. Slow, bad route runner and catches like shit. Top 10? He's not even top 20 in the league.

really dude? I agree, he's probably not top 5, maybe not top ten. He has the potential to be top ten. Not Top 20? Give me a break dude.

How can you tell me that a player, in his 3rd year, in his 3rd scheme, with his 4th QB, has maxed his potential? Route running comes with time. Comes natural in some players, some have to polish it. But it can be done. Speed, yeah, he's not getting that. I agree with you there. His hands are also something he could work at. He is not a Natural pass catcher, but his technique can be refined. T.O has stone hands. But he turned into a star, now didn't he?

so? Who are you're top 20 WR's that rank among Bowe?

DBOSHO
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM

So Nostradamus, does 2012 happen? When will the chiefs get to the playoffs? How many rings does sam bradford end up with?

Deberg_1990
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
The Chiefs have onely won 9 games since hes been in KC.

Why would he make a difference now??

SDChiefs
12-17-2009, 05:34 PM

Crabtree doesn't have the worst starting QB in the league throwing to him. Bowe does. Cassel couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

SDChiefs
12-17-2009, 05:37 PM

I want what you're smoking. Guy averaged 1000 yards his first two years. 3rd year he gets suspended and has no real QB throwing to him and hes past his prime. :shake:

DBoweFoSho
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
fuck all you dbowe haters... there is ALWAYS time and room for improvment. you are ignorant for thinking bowe is a bad receiver or hes peaked or whatever. your dumb. put him on the colts and see what happens. ... dumbass

stumppy
12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Have you resorted to pulling your nonsensical article topics straight out of your ass ?

WTF am I saying....................are you ever going to stop doing that ?