PDA

View Full Version : Obama Just 23% would "definitely" vote to re-elect Obama

wild1
01-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Majority Would Vote Against Obama
January 14, 2010 9:15 AM | Permalink | Comments (330) |

Share This
By Reid Wilson

A year into his tenure, a majority of Americans would already vote against Pres. Obama if the '12 elections were held today, according to a new survey.

The Allstate/National Journal Heartland Monitor poll shows 50% say they would probably or definitely vote for someone else. Fully 37% say they would definitely cast a ballot against Obama. Meanwhile, just 39% would vote to re-elect the pres. to a 2nd term, and only 23% say they definitely would do so.

Obama's first year in office has been marked by an unemployment rate that surged to 10%, an increased commitment of troops to Afghanistan and a health care battle that has taken a serious political toll on the WH.

Obama's approval rating is down to 47%, the poll showed, a 14-point drop since the April survey. 45% disapprove, up 17 points from April. Only 41% say they trust Obama more than Congressional GOPers, while 33% pick the GOP over the WH. That 8-point gap is down from a 21-point edge Obama sported as recently as Sept.

Just 34% say the country is moving in the right direction, down 13 points since April, and 55% say it is off on the wrong track, up 13 points over the same period.

But as GOPers focus on taxes and spending, that message seems to be causing Obama the most harm. Among those who believe Obama's policies have moved the country in the wrong direction, 45% cite spending and government regulation as a top cause for their opposition.

Meanwhile, those who think Obama's policies are moving the country down the right track largely cite long-term benefits of his initiatives.

In the meantime, health care legislation is by no means popular, but a majority of Americans don't oppose the legislation yet. 44% said they support the legislation under consideration, down 5 points from the last poll in Sept., while 46% oppose it.

The poll, conducted by Financial Dynamics, surveyed 1,200 adults between Jan. 3-7 for a margin of error of +/- 2.8%.

For more on the Allstate/National Journal Heartland Monitor poll, see Ron Brownstein's take on a distrustful America and the withering green shoots after a year under the Obama admin. Full poll results are available here [pdf].

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/01/majority_would.php

oldandslow
01-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree...even tho I am a 180 from you, I would hope that both voices from the right and left would either cleanse or flush the present system...Obama's policy choices have been so disappointing to me....

1) stimulus packages that are simply subsidies for bank and car corporations
2) a health care package that is a subsidy for insurance corporations
3) going to copenhagen and accomplishing....nothing.
4) Afghanistan - the new war without end - perhaps a subsidy for defense contractors
5) no energy policy. And that, imo, will be the straw that topples the hay stack.

Chief Faithful
01-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I agree...even tho I am a 180 from you, I would hope that both voices from the right and left would either cleanse or flush the present system...Obama's policy choices have been so disappointing to me....

4) Afghanistan - the new war without end - perhaps a subsidy for defense contractors
5) no energy policy. And that, imo, will be the straw that topples the hay stack.

If Oil prices go back up Pelosi is toast.

DJ's left nut
01-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Good god, 39% would STILL vote for him?!?!?!

This country is full of idiots.

ROYC75
01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
As much as I dislike Obo's policies and vision, there is time for him to turn things around. A lot is going to depend on who the GOP puts up to run against him, If the GOP takes back the house and the Senate, it would neutralize Obo's agenda and keep things conservative or slightly moderate.

If the Dems maintain control, Obo will go down in 2012.

wild1
01-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Above all we need to band together as voters and throw out people who don't keep their promises. Accountability is the foundation and we don't have it right now.

fan4ever
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
As much as I dislike Obo's policies and vision, there is time for him to turn things around. A lot is going to depend on who the GOP puts up to run against him, If the GOP takes back the house and the Senate, it would neutralize Obo's agenda and keep things conservative or slightly moderate.

If the Dems maintain control, Obo will go down in 2012.

I would say that's a pretty good take on the situation...bizarre, but Obama's best hope is to have the Republicans in 2010 reel in the spending and waste just in time for him to take credit for it. Of course if the economy still sucks, it won't matter.

Cannibal
01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
It's going to come down to who runs against him. Generic polls are meaningless.

Royal Fanatic
01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
It's going to come down to who runs against him. Generic polls are meaningless.
Obama is praying that the Republicans nominate Sarah Palin.

HonestChieffan
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Good god, 39% would STILL vote for him?!?!?!

This country is full of idiots.

That number is growing but the survey has to be conducted in Spanish.

Donger
01-14-2010, 11:58 AM
Obama is praying that the Republicans nominate Sarah Palin.

If the GOP is stupid enough to make her the nominee, or if the nominee picks her for the VP slot, I won't be voting in 2012.

Just because McCain chose her as his running mate does not mean she now has any business on a national ticket.

Period.

Taco John
01-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I know that I still wouldn't vote for McCain.

patteeu
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Thank you comrade, may I have another!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdFLPn30dvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qdFLPn30dvQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

wild1
01-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Because Obama has maintained most Bush-era foreign policies I would tend to agree that McCain wouldn't be much better, rather JM would have been an Obama Light.

Better than the heavy stuff though

Taco John
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you comrade, may I have another!

What can I say. Republicans don't care about republicanism until a Democrat is in the white house.