PDA

View Full Version : Obama Obama keeping his distance from Massachusetts race

Donger
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jan/15/obama-keeping-his-distance-massachusetts-race/?feat=home_headlines

LMAO

Coming off stinging election losses in Virginia and New Jersey -- not to mention Copenhagen, where he failed to win the 2018 Olympics for his hometown of Chicago -- President Obama is staying away from what could become another painful loss.

Even though the campaign of Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley has been making quiet entreaties, the president has no plans to visit her in the last week of the special election to fill the Senate seat once held by the late Edward M. Kennedy.

"It's not on our schedule to go to next week," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said matter-of-factly.

With Mrs. Coakley flagging in the polls and Republican Scott Brown closing fast -- one recent polls puts him 2 points ahead -- Mr. Obama has decided to keep his fingerprints off a race that would be an embarrassment for Democrats should they lose, given that Mr. Obama won the state in 2008 by a 27 point margin.

Mr. Obama last year lost a high-profile bid to bring the Olympics to his hometown, even after he flew to Copenhagen to make a personal pitch. That slight followed the gubernatorial losses last November in Virginia and New Jersey, where Mr. Obama campaigned hard for the Democrats only to see them defeated.

While the president is taking a hands-off approach to the Massachusetts race, he did send an e-mail to supporters this week urging them to support Mrs. Coakley.

"We all need Ted Kennedy's seat to be filled by a champion for change -- and Martha Coakley is that champion," he wrote in the message. "The stakes are high. Time is short," he added. "And your role is essential."

Mrs. Coakley told the Boston Herald on Wednesday that she hasn't heard from the White House, but that she would welcome any public support from Obama.

"I welcome his support, but we've got a lot of support here in Massachusetts [and] I think he's got a lot on his plate in Washington," she told the paper.

On Thursday, Mr. Obama cut a video for the Democrat. "Its clear now that the outcome of these and other fights will probably rest on one vote in the United States Senate, Mr. Obama said in the message. "Thats why what happens Tuesday in Massachusetts is so important."

But not quite important enough for a presidential visit.

Chief Henry
01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Seams like i read somewhere this week Obama's only got about 36% approval for his handeling of health care...that alone would want Coakley to keep his butt out of Taxachusettes. Is Obama NOT king in that state anymore ? Whats up with that ?

Chiefshrink
01-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Seams like i read somewhere this week Obama's only got about 36% approval for his handeling of health care...that alone would want Coakley to keep his butt out of Taxachusettes. Is Obama NOT king in that state anymore ? Whats up with that ?

Precisely:thumb::thumb::thumb: This has to be tough on O's ego:D

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Right now I'm leaning towards Brown. It's not a rejection of Obama as much as a statement of utter dissatisfaction with the status quo and disinterest in Coakley as our Senator.

It's also a 2 year seat for Brown, and I would almost certainly vote Democrat in 2010.

Can't remember the last time I voted for a Republican for a federal office...

HonestChieffan
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
Right now I'm leaning towards Brown. It's not a rejection of Obama as much as a statement of utter dissatisfaction with the status quo and disinterest in Coakley as our Senator.

It's also a 2 year seat for Brown, and I would almost certainly vote Democrat in 2010.

What if Brown does a great job?

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 08:18 AM
What if Brown does a great job?

Obviously we'll see what he does, but in general I prefer to have Democrats in the Senate, especially given the Supreme Court implications.

thecoffeeguy
01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Hope Brown wins...Coakley is a farce

ROYC75
01-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Man, there is HOPE for you yet, that's CHANGE we can believe in! :D

Donger
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Is there a sense of backlash against the entitlement?

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Is there a sense of backlash against the entitlement?

Your question is vague, but if you mean is it possible that Brown is performing well because Massachusetts Democrats here tend to take things for granted and voters are extremely annoyed with the various corruption and other problems that have plagued them over the last few years, the answer is absolutely.

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Man, there is HOPE for you yet, that's CHANGE we can believe in! :D

Don't worry. At worst I would become a Massachusetts Republican, which is still a liberal by the definition of anyone in 90% of the rest of the country. :D

The sad reality is that either my party and I are drifting away from each other, or that what I hoped was my party was never really what I thought to begin with. And that is sad because it really will leave me with no party at all, because Republicans are NOT my party. I disagree with them on more issues than I do Democrats.

Obviously people and parties change over time. I'm not sure I'll be seeking a divorce, but we'll see how things go.

Of course, maybe all it takes is Shitty or some of the other right-wing bozos on here to drive me into the Democrats' arms. :p

Donger
01-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Your question is vague, but if you mean is it possible that Brown is performing well because Massachusetts Democrats here tend to take things for granted and voters are extremely annoyed with the various corruption and other problems that have plagued them over the last few years, the answer is absolutely.

Interesting. Thanks.

bkkcoh
01-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Chicago got the Olympics, right????

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

Remember that while this is a one party state, it's not impossible for Republicans to win office, especially state offices. We elected William Weld and then Paul Cellucci as governors for, whatever it was -- 8 or 12 years.

But yeah -- if Brown goes to the Senate and then votes in favor of abortion limitations and stuff, he'll be all done in a hurry. If he's a Republican like Snowe or Collins in Maine, then maybe he'll be around for a while.

I'd like to see more moderates and fewer extremists throughout government, to be honest.

The Mad Crapper
01-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

He can't bring himself to acknowledge his hero is toxic at this point.

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 11:20 AM
He can't bring himself to acknowledge his hero is toxic at this point.

Bill Belichick is toxic?

Seriously, you have no idea who my heroes are, but I assure you, none are policitians -- at least no living ones.