PDA

View Full Version : Education No surprise: Dick Cheney #1

patteeu
01-15-2010, 07:07 AM
The top 20 most influential conservatives in the US according to the UK's Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/6990965/The-most-influential-US-conservatives-20-1.html):

1. Dick Cheney (6 in the 2007 list ) Dick Cheney; most influential conservatives

Former Vice President of the United States

A low key and intensely loyal vice-president, Dick Cheney has emerged as the principal tormentor of Barack Obama in the past year, shaping the national debate on national security and forcing the White House to scramble to respond. Cheney signalled his intent way back in February when he stated that protecting America was “a tough, mean, dirty, nasty business” in which “evil people” would not be stopped “by turning the other cheek”. Having campaigned against the “politics of fear” and ridiculing the notion of a war on terror, Obama is finding out that the Islamist threat was not something dreamed up by Cheney and Bush. The President has been repeatedly rattled by Cheney, as illustrated by his decision last May to time a speech so that it would coincide with the former vice-president’s address at the American Enterprise Institute. It was Cheney who framed Obama’s delay on deciding his Afghanistan surge strategy as “dithering” – and the characterisation stuck.

Some Republicans are deeply uncomfortable about Cheney being the voice of national security for the party – and in many respects the main voice on any issue. They fret that he is old and white and grumpy and has low approval rating – making him, in essence, everything that Obama is not (though the gap between their approval ratings is narrowing). We judge that this is missing the point. Cheney’s role at this stage – before a new Republican leader emerges – is to energise the party base (and he will also be a prodigious fundraiser for 2010 and 2012), keep Obama on the back foot and engage in the “tough, mean, dirty, nasty business” of politics that some with their names on future ballots would prefer to sit out.

2. Rush Limbaugh (5)
3. Matt Drudge (3)
4. Sarah Palin (-)
5. Robert Gates (7)
6. Glenn Beck (18)
7. Roger Ailes (23)
8. David Petraeus (2)
9. Paul Ryan (-)
10. Tim Pawlenty (-)
11. Mitt Romney (10)
12. George W. Bush (21)
13. John Roberts (8)
14. Haley Barbour (16)
15. Eric Cantor (-)
16. John McCain (9)
17. Mike Pence (19)
18. Bob McDonnell (-)
19. Newt Gingrich (4)
20. Mike Huckabee (11)

41. Ron Paul (96)

blaise
01-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I think Cheney has a role to a point, but as it gets closer to the next Presidential election there's a diminishing return on any of the positives. Like you said, until a new leader emerges. They just better hope one does. Right now they're like a mediocre NFL team that needs a franchise QB.

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 07:16 AM
Wonder if Patreus might run. When's the last time we had a non career politician in the WH? Ike I guess.

Military leadership is no longer a path to the WH, really. Was common early in the Republic.

Chief Henry
01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm surprised Rove's name is not on that list.

patteeu
01-15-2010, 07:20 AM
I think Cheney has a role to a point, but as it gets closer to the next Presidential election there's a diminishing return on any of the positives. Like you said, until a new leader emerges. They just better hope one does. Right now they're like a mediocre NFL team that needs a franchise QB.

Yes, I agree with that, but to be clear I was quoting the article.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 07:28 AM
He's the top most influential NeoCon, largely because he was given powers a VP was never intended to have. Most of the list is NeoCons and RINOs. This country's had it with the current two-party system.

patteeu
01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
He's the top most influential NeoCon, largely because he was given powers a VP was never intended to have. Most of the list is NeoCons and RINOs. This country's had it with the current two-party system.

The only powers Cheney had during 2008 were his powers of intellect, persuasion, indefatigability, and charisma.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Dick Cheney sucks!

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 07:47 AM

The Constitution doesn't say much of anything about what powers a VP can or can't have, it just lists what he does have. It's up to the President to give him more if he wishes. Just as he can delegate authority to a cabinet officer, etc.

The Constitution isn't a straight-jacket on absolutely everything. It can't be, the whole damn thing is only about 4,000 words. It barely covers the basics...

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 07:47 AM
The only powers Cheney had during 2008 were his powers of intellect, persuasion, indefatigability, and charisma.

Apparently his powers were limited indeed, given the results of the 2008 elections. :p

patteeu
01-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Apparently his powers were limited indeed, given the results of the 2008 elections. :p

Oops, I mean 2009. :)

patteeu
01-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Dick Cheney sucks!

Clever argument!

Chief Henry
01-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Speaking of Dick Cheney. Why does Chris Mathews pronounce Cheneys name wrong ?
Disrespect ?

Mathews pronounces it as Cheeeny.

Velvet_Jones
01-15-2010, 08:08 AM
I'm surprised Rove's name is not on that list.

They don't put felons on the list because Rove was indicted two weeks ago or something.

HonestChieffan
01-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Speaking of Dick Cheney. Why does Chris Mathews pronounce Cheneys name wrong ?
Disrespect ?

Mathews pronounces it as Cheeeny.

When he sees dick he gets all flustered....

Velvet_Jones
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
When he sees dick he gets all flustered....

Shivers run down his tongue?

Chief Henry
01-15-2010, 08:11 AM
They don't put felons on the list because Rove was indicted two weeks ago or something.

I thought that was the mayor of Baltimore. :rolleyes: You know that powerful position in a major US city. She was a dem. and the national news media just about swept it under the table - for the most part.

Velvet_Jones
01-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I thought that was the mayor of Baltimore. :rolleyes: You know that powerful position in a major US city. She was a dem. and the national news media just about swept it under the table - for the most part.

I don't remember the details but Rove was involved and he was indicted and something about 2 weeks.

donkhater
01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Quite frankly I think this list is bunk.

What is the most influential movement in politics now? The tea party movement. despite what Democrats believe and Republicans hope, it is not just some right-wing promoted movement. It's genuine people from both parties and independants who are fed up with how government has been run.

Ron Paul has been instrumental in this movement. All Cheney has influenced is the inability of the Republican party to get away from war-mongering and corporatism and back to true conservative ideals.

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Just watching that lard azz lying Gibbs jump every time Cheney gives a speech is proof Cheney is even influential on the dem side.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Cheney needs a dose of French amour and food!

Taco John
01-15-2010, 09:31 AM
This would also make a good list of reasons why Republicans lose elections to community organizers.

NewChief
01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
God. That list is just painful. Darth Vader, Limbaugh, Drudge and Palin. Good grief.

Velvet_Jones
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Cheney needs a dose of French amour and food!

if its terrorist food - frankie knows how to cook it.

Chief Henry
01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't remember the details but Rove was involved and he was indicted and something about 2 weeks.

lol

patteeu
01-15-2010, 12:07 PM
God. That list is just painful. Darth Vader, Limbaugh, Drudge and Palin. Good grief.

Just for the record, God didn't make the top 20, but Dick Cheney did. Pretty impressive if you ask me. :)

SNR
01-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Cheney needs a dose of French amour and food!French food? Not a good idea. You DO know that he has high cholestoral and has gone through several heart surgeries, right?

Jenson71
01-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Actually, that is kind of a surprise, to me.