PDA

View Full Version : Computers Computer Problem. Please Help

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:02 AM
I came to work this morning and turned on my computer. The screen is blank and all it does is beep:cuss:

Any idea what the problem is? I am mostly a computer Ratard. Its a 3 year old Gateway desktop that I have never had a problem with in the past.

TIA

kaplin42
01-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I came to work this morning and turned on my computer. The screen is blank and all it does is beep:cuss:

Any idea what the problem is? I am mostly a computer Ratard. Its a 3 year old Gateway desktop that I have never had a problem with in the past.

TIA

If its just beeping, it sounds like a BIOS error. Can you tell us what the beeps sound like.

Example:

beep beep......beeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppp

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:05 AM
a repeating beeeeeeeeeeeppp about every 3-4 seconds

Fish
01-15-2010, 10:09 AM
What kind of computer? Do you have a model #?

And what are the beeps exactly? Is it 3 short beeps in a row? The length and number of beeps makes a difference.

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Ok, its one long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and then a short beep. After that its just a repeating long beep.

Its a gateway desktop. Model #GT5228

kepp
01-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Your work computer? Do you have an IT dept?

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Your work computer? Do you have an IT dept?

self employed. I am the IT department:D

Fish
01-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Looks like anything less than 4 beeps is memory related.

First, I would remove all the RAM sticks, and put them back in the same way and try it. Make sure they're secure. If that doesn't work, try just one at a time, trying each stick. Maybe one has wiggled loose. Maybe one has gone bad.

I'd reseat the video card as well. Just to be sure.

Give that a try and see...

kaplin42
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM

First, I would remove all the RAM sticks, and put them back in the same way and try it. Make sure they're secure. If that doesn't work, try just one at a time, trying each stick. Maybe one has wiggled loose. Maybe one has gone bad.

Bright side is if its RAM, its fairly inexpensive to buy new stuff.

Mr. Laz
01-15-2010, 10:30 AM
alot of times the beeps are a sound code to tell you the problem.

check here: http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/WME859199/WME859199faq2.shtml

Pants
01-15-2010, 10:32 AM

It's probably on-board video seeing as it's a 3 year old work computer by Gateway. If he does have a video card and it goes down, it would just kick in the on-board on a very low resolution. I'm willing to bet a lot of money it's just his RAM.

Fish
01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
It's probably on-board video seeing as it's a 3 year old work computer by Gateway. If he does have a video card and it goes down, it would just kick in the on-board on a very low resolution. I'm willing to bet a lot of money it's just his RAM.

You're right. Specs say integrated video. http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009153/1009153sp2.shtml

My money is on the RAM.

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help

Mr. Laz
01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
if you have more than one stick of ram ... remove 1 and see if it helps, then switch to the other.

if you have another basic video card laying around ... slip it in and see if that helps.

kaplin42
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
alot of times the beeps are a sound code to tell you the problem.

check here: http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/WME859199/WME859199faq2.shtml

I saw that too Laz, but its for a server and not a desktop. The codes may or may not be the same for the above desktop.

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I pulled out both sticks of RAM and blew out the inside of the computer. Stuck the ram back in and it booted up fine.

Thanks for the help fella's!

Pants
01-15-2010, 10:50 AM
I pulled out both sticks of RAM and blew out the inside of the computer. Stuck the ram back in and it booted up fine.

Nice work. I'm happy you didn't have to buy new stick(s).

kepp
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM

Heh...sometimes it works to just kick the tires ROFL

shitgoose
01-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Heh...sometimes it works to just kick the tires ROFL

Good thing it worked so I didn't have to actually start kicking it, which was probably plan B. ROFL

jjjayb
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM

The old nintendo trick works every time.

QuikSsurfer
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM

TIA

reseat the RAM

edit: nevermind - glad it worked!