PDA

View Full Version : Obama APNewsBreak: AP sources: Obama to Massachusetts

petegz28
01-15-2010, 12:09 PM
BOSTON (AP) - His health care bill at stake, President Barack Obama plans a trip to Massachusetts to campaign for endangered Senate Democratic candidate Martha Coakley amid release of a poll showing an edge for the Republican Party in the race to fill a Senate seat Democrats have held for over a half-century.
Democratic officials disclosed the president's plans Friday on condition of anonimity because they were not authorized to pre-empt a White House announcement.

"If Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," Democrat Barney Frank, D-Mass., said, underscoring the stakes of Tuesday's special election.

A Suffolk University survey released late Thursday showed that Brown, a Republican state senator, with 50 percent of the vote in the race to succeed the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in this overwhelmingly Democratic state.

Coakley had 46 percent. That amounted to a statistical tie since it was within the poll's 4.4 percentage point margin of error, but it was far different from a 15-point lead that Coakley, the Massachusetts attorney general, enjoyed in a Boston Globe survey released over the weekend.

The Suffolk poll also confirmed a fundamental shift in voter attitudes telegraphed in recent automated polls that Democrats had dismissed as unscientific and the product of GOP-leaning organizations.

And it signaled a possible death knell for the 60-vote Senate supermajority the president has been relying upon to stop Republican filibusters and pass not only his health care overhaul, but the rest of his legislative agenda heading into crucial mid-term elections this fall.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

BOSTON (AP)—With President Barack Obama's agenda at risk, the White House on Friday weighed whether to send him to Massachusetts as a poll showed a shift in favor of the Republican Party in the race to fill a Senate seat Democrats have held for more than half a century.

"If Scott Brown wins, it'll kill the health bill," Democrat Barney Frank, D-Mass., said, underscoring the stakes of Tuesday's special election.

Mindful of such consequences, several Democrats said that an appearance by Obama in the state before Tuesday's special election was increasingly likely. White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel had placed calls to top Massachusetts Democrats to weigh the costs and benefits of such a visit.

Playing a role from a distance for now, the president taped an automated phone call asking Massachusetts to vote for Democrat Martha Coakley, and promising "She'll be your voice and my ally." It was the same message he made in a Web video e-mailed to his supporters on Thursday.

The Suffolk University survey released late Thursday showed Brown, a Republican state senator, with 50 percent of the vote in the race to succeed the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy in this overwhelmingly Democratic state.

Coakley had 46 percent. That was a statistical tie since it was within the poll's 4.4 percentage point margin of error, but far different from a 15-point lead Coakley, the Massachusetts attorney general, enjoyed in a Boston Globe survey released over the weekend.

The Suffolk poll also confirmed a fundamental shift in voter attitudes telegraphed in recent automated polls that Democrats had dismissed as unscientific and the product of GOP-leaning organizations.

And it signaled a possible death knell for the 60-vote supermajority the president has been relying upon to stop Republican filibusters in the Senate and pass not only his health care overhaul, but the rest of his legislative agenda heading into this fall's mid-term elections.

Brown has pledged to vote against the health care bill, and his election would give Senate Republicans the 41st vote they need to sustain a filibuster.

But Secretary of State William F. Galvin, Massachusetts' top election official, said certifying Tuesday's results could take more than two weeks. That delay could give Senate Democrats time to push Obama's signature legislation through Congress. Sen. Paul G. Kirk Jr., the interim replacement for the seat, says he will vote for the bill if given the chance.

Republicans are using the threatened delay as a rallying point to argue Democrats have been gaming the rules to pass the health care bill despite public opposition.

The third candidate in the race, independent Joseph L. Kennedy, had 3 percent in the Suffolk poll. The Libertarian businessman is unrelated to the senator, who died Aug. 25 of brain cancer.

"Although the results show a race within the statistical margin of error, Scott Brown has surged dramatically," David Paleologos, director of Suffolk's Political Research Center, said in a statement. "He is attracting independent support by a wide margin and even winning some Democrats who won't vote the party line this time."

Paleologos said Joseph Kennedy's supporters could end up being pivotal in the election's outcome.

"A late rotation away from Kennedy to one of the major candidates could have a significant impact," he said.

The survey of 500 registered Massachusetts voters was conducted in a three-day span ending Wednesday, when Brown enjoyed a surge after being widely seen as beating Coakley in their final debate on Monday. The question surrounding it and a number of recent surveys was whether the group sampled accurately reflected the likely field of voters Tuesday.

The election comes the day after the three-day Martin Luther King holiday weekend. Snow is also forecast for Monday, and many locals often head south for warmer weather or north to go skiing during the shortened work week.

Brown supporters, meanwhile, are mimicking Republicans and independents who shaped recent GOP victories in the Virginia and New Jersey gubernatorial races. They are showing a high degree of enthusiasm for their candidate, a relative unknown who has never run statewide, while Democrats have shown little passion for Coakley although she cruised in the four-way Democratic primary with nearly 50 percent of the vote.

Former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani urged voters who rallied in Boston's North End to elect Brown for his anti-terror credentials.

"His election, I believe will send a signal—and a very dramatic one—that we're going in the wrong direction on terrorism," said Giuliani, who opposes having the trial of Sept. 11 terror suspects in New York City.

Former President Bill Clinton was making two stops in Massachusetts Friday on behalf of Coakley later in the day.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9D8BJU04&show_article=1

petegz28
01-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I thought polls were just done by kids with crayons???

Donger
01-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Excellent.

HonestChieffan
01-15-2010, 12:13 PM
This just draws the distinction more clearly of the failed efforts to date by this president and the need for change to really take place.

Obama should be in Haiti not Boston.

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM

:-O Eh? Why? It's not a state.

wild1
01-15-2010, 12:22 PM
:-O Eh? Why? It's not a state.

Neither were any of the destinations on his world apology tour.

And neither is Copenhagen.

etc

wild1
01-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Donation incoming. :p

Radar Chief
01-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Obama hates black people. /Kanye, complete with a Mike Myers double take

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Neither were any of the destinations on his world apology tour.

And neither is Copenhagen.

etc

So you think the President should be in Haiti right now. Is that right?

wild1
01-15-2010, 12:27 PM

No, actually, with his poll numbers the way they are I like having him in Massachusetts.

Taco John
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I feel bad for the people in Haiti, but that's not where the American president should be right now. It's fine to send diplomats over, as well as any other relief workers that can be spared. But we don't need to send our president over there.

donkhater
01-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Quick! To the Obamamobile!

petegz28
01-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Obama should be on C-Span living up to his 8 times-promised televised negotiations of the health care bill.

donkhater
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9D8BJU04&show_article=1

Given that the majority of people in this country AND that state disapprove of this health care bill, why does a Democrat think that is an argument for Coakley?

donkhater
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
I feel bad for the people in Haiti, but that's not where the American president should be right now. It's fine to send diplomats over, as well as any other relief workers that can be spared. But we don't need to send our president over there.

Precisely. What would Obama do? Give them hope and change?

Bwana
01-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Obama should be on C-Span living up to his 8 times-promised televised negotiations of the health care bill.

No doubt......

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM

LMAO

petegz28
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Well, I am sure we are in for a weekend of media coverage from "the machine" and their bussed in supporters and such.

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, I am sure we are in for a weekend of media coverage from "the machine" and their bussed in supporters and such.

ROFL

Donger
01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
The irony is overwhelming. If Teddy had only lived longer, his dream of gaining more power over the lives of Americans (sorry, universal health care) would have come to fruition.

With his death and the potential loss of "his" seat, it might die.

Bob Dole
01-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Aftershocks...

petegz28
01-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Obama will be there on Sunday. Not a particularly good day to be stumping politics with playoff football and college basketball dominating the airwaves. Not to mention people just to don't pay much attention to Sunday politics until Monday morning. As well as a lot of catholics will be in church. LMAO

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Aftershocks...

Contemptible, if you're saying what I think you're saying.

patteeu
01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Start the Brown victory party. Obama, the CoMoChief of special elections, is on the move.

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 01:17 PM
The irony is overwhelming. If Teddy had only lived longer, his dream of gaining more power over the lives of Americans (sorry, universal health care) would have come to fruition.

It won't die. Even if Brown wins they'll never seat him quick enough to be a factor.

ROYC75
01-15-2010, 01:18 PM
He better watch out for that massive Tea Party in Boston!

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Start the Brown victory party. Obama, the CoMoChief of special elections, is on the move.

That's bad luck to celebrate before the Fat Lady sings!!! Don't do that!

HonestChieffan
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Another Bridge he did not cross.

petegz28
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM
That's bad luck to celebrate before the Fat Lady sings!!! Don't do that!

I am under no illusions that Brown is going to win. I just hope he makes it as close as possible. The People of Mass. will vote for a Dem they disagree with before they vote for a Repub they agree with.

KC Dan
01-15-2010, 02:16 PM
hehehe, didn't see this coming...

petegz28
01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
A Pajamasmedia Poll conducted by Crosstarget has Brown up by 15%.

Taco John
01-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I wonder what Massachusetteans think of Mitt care?

petegz28
01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
I wonder what Massachusetteans think of Mitt care?

I think they don't like it.

Amnorix
01-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I think they don't like it.

Actually, most are on the fence about it, as it's a bit early to tell whether or not its a good idea. Overall I would say the program has been moderately successly SO FAR, but costs are starting to escalate, and there are some real concerns.

HonestChieffan
01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Boston Globe last March didnt seem to high on it..

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2009/03/02/mass_healthcare_reform_is_failing_us/

talastan
01-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I think the Dem is going to get the seat, though if Brown keeps it close the Dems will only keep the seat with a repeat of the Coleman/Franken type recount. Brown will have to solidly win to get the Senate seat and then of course he won't be seated till much later after the Healthcare Vote. Nothing like giving Mass. citizens less of a voice in the Healthcare debate.

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't see how not seating Brown, should he win, would benefit the dems. They need 60 votes to break a filibuster, not 59. If he wins and the 40 current Republicans can hold together... well, let's call it waterloo.

The way I understand it is the guy that was appointed to fill Kennedy's seat would still occupy it until the new Senator is seated.

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 02:53 PM
The way I understand it is the guy that was appointed to fill Kennedy's seat would still occupy it until the new Senator is seated.

Oops. Never mind.

patteeu
01-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I had a brain-lapse and realized that's probably the case after I posted.

Donger
01-15-2010, 03:06 PM
But Secretary of State William F. Galvin, Massachusetts' top election official, said certifying Tuesday's results could take more than two weeks. That delay could give Senate Democrats time to push Obama's signature legislation through Congress. Sen. Paul G. Kirk Jr., the interim replacement for the seat, says he will vote for the bill if given the chance.

This is an interesting scenario. Would the Democrats really force the vote before Brown is seated?

petegz28
01-15-2010, 03:12 PM
This is an interesting scenario. Would the Democrats really force the vote before Brown is seated?

Is the Pope catholic?

Donger
01-15-2010, 03:22 PM
Heh. Chuckie Schumer calls Brown a "far-right tea bagger"?

petegz28
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Heh. Chuckie Schumer calls Brown a "far-right tea bagger"?

Yeah, I posted a thread about that. Kinda funny from the guy who threw a hissy fit about being called a "putz-head".

bluehawkdoc
01-15-2010, 03:41 PM

Do weebles wobble?

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I had a brain-lapse and realized that's probably the case after I posted.

Well at least I semi-documented the one time you were wrong about something.

RedNeckRaider
01-15-2010, 04:16 PM
This just draws the distinction more clearly of the failed efforts to date by this president and the need for change to really take place.

First off I hope the left get their ass handed to them and it would be great if it lead to the bill not passing. Why in the heck does Barry need to be in Haiti?

mlyonsd
01-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Maybe dem leaders should use the same tactic they're using for the health care debate and offer every voter in Massachusetts a big screen tv or a new car if the chick gets elected.

The Mad Crapper
01-16-2010, 09:03 PM

ROFL

The Mad Crapper
01-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Why in the heck does Barry need to be in Haiti?

Actually he should be in Kenya----

A village has been missing their idiot.

patteeu
01-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Well at least I semi-documented the one time you were wrong about something.

I thought I was wrong too, but who knows, maybe we were mistaken. ;)

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221906

Donger
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM

LMAO

mlyonsd
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
LMAO

The House and the WH now has to make a choice.

Wow, just wow.

The Mad Crapper
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Contemptible, if you're saying what I think you're saying.

It was a joke, lighten up.

ROFL

Saul Good
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

The same is true if he would have died sooner. The table wouldn't have been set for a Brown victory even a month or two age.