PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Did Coakley cross the line on this ad?

petegz28
01-15-2010, 10:31 PM
At about .04 it shows one of the WTC buildings while attacking Wall St. greed.

Seems shaky but it also seems to have got the attention of a lot of people in Mass.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wTgz_WRzvNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wTgz_WRzvNM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BucEyedPea
01-15-2010, 10:57 PM
I missed it first time through. Then I looked at your notation for the time to see it. But I was expecting airplanes flying through it. I don't have a problem with it.

I have more of a problem with the idea that Obama is going to change Wall Street. His solution won't be good...it'll be something that hurts everyone. Besides, he's a Wall Street guy owned by the big banks because they own the Ds.

petegz28
01-15-2010, 10:58 PM
I missed it first time through. Then I looked at your notation for the time to see it. But I was expecting airplanes flying through it. I don't have a problem with it.

I have more of a problem with the idea that Obama is going to change Wall Street. His solution won't be good...it'll be something that hurts everyone. Besides, he's a Wall Street guy owned by the big banks because they own the Ds.

I am not sure I have a huge problem with it. But it does add tot he list of gaffes by the Coakley campaign. And it seems several in Mass. didn't take a liking to it.

Mr. Kotter
01-15-2010, 11:22 PM
No problem....except in your paranoid world, Rush.

Taco John
01-16-2010, 01:56 AM
It was done on purpose for sure. The idea is to gently stir up the negative emotion that people feel at a subconsious level when they see the WTC buildings and juxtapose it with his face. It's a very subtle communications trick, and any outcry about it is easy to rebuff. The layman will say, "aw, that's ridiculous." But if you look at the other images that serve as part of the slide show, you can see that they're all images intended to stir negative emotion. A dirty, dingy, out of focus Wall Street street sign. The WTC tower. A bank foreclosure sign. Someone with a background in communications theory will recognize what they're doing in a hurry though.

It's not an effective ad though. It stirs up negative emotion, and then leads that negative emotion into a weak message about Obama's plan for change, with the closing message "your vote counts." It's practically serving as a get out the vote commercial for Brown in this regard. I'd explain my reasoning for that part in more detail, but I'm half asleep right now after a night having company over.