PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Panasonic Plasma ? Good buy or not

booger
01-16-2010, 01:21 AM
panasonic viera tc-p42x1

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-tc-p42x1/4505-6482_7-33490639.html

Sears has a deal on these 625 - 675 or so depeding on if i buy online or not either way a good deal for a Plasma. its the 720P instead of 1080 but i don't have HD satelite just regular and Plain DVD player no blu ray. Plus I read you can't tell the difference on a 42" like this. Rates like 71 out of 100 on CR and CR recommended buy but i need to run this past the CP techies first.

TIA

TigerPig
01-16-2010, 01:38 AM
panasonic viera tc-p42x1

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-viera-tc-p42x1/4505-6482_7-33490639.html

Sears has a deal on these 625 - 675 or so depeding on if i buy online or not either way a good deal for a Plasma. its the 720P instead of 1080 but i don't have HD satelite just regular and Plain DVD player no blu ray. Plus I read you can't tell the difference on a 42" like this. Rates like 71 out of 100 on CR and CR recommended buy but i need to run this past the CP techies first.

TIA

I like it. Its a good deal. Keep in mind two things. First, you are going to get a Blu-Ray player within the life of this TV, as well as HD satellite (probably). You said it doesn't matter on this size of TV, so you should be fine. Second, plasma doesn't last as long as LCD. I'm all for plasma, but you might want to do the research, see how much longer LCD lasts, and see if its worth the price difference.

But if you're like me you can't go around throwing Franklins on things like TVs. In that case I'd jump on this like a loose football.

TinyEvel
01-16-2010, 01:43 AM
I have this TV from 2005 (I paid $3,000 for it back then!) IT is great. Mine's 720P and looks great with my DIRECTV HD.

I also have a panasonic Viera 1080p 65" that is absolutely stunning. Panasonic is a top plasma maker right up there with Pioneer Elite.

booger
01-16-2010, 01:44 AM
that's interesting on the LCD VS Plasma life. Thanks, didn't know that.

Is it something that needs replaced on the plasma TV's or are they not able to be fixed then?

booger
01-16-2010, 01:46 AM
I have this TV from 2005 (I paid $3,000 for it back then!) IT is great. Mine's 720P and looks great with my DIRECTV HD.

I also have a panasonic Viera 1080p 65" that is absolutely stunning. Panasonic is a top plasma maker right up there with Pioneer Elite.

first thanks for the reply, also when you first got it was it too difficult messing with the color settings and all that stuff? Is that what they mean by calibration settings or is that something else?

booger
01-16-2010, 01:49 AM
also tiny, any problems with it in those 5 years?

TinyEvel
01-16-2010, 01:49 AM
first thanks for the reply, also when you first got it was it too difficult messing with the color settings and all that stuff? Is that what they mean by calibration settings or is that something else?

Yeah. You can buy calibration DVDs on the internet. it basically walks you through as it puts up various color screens and images then has you adjust your video and audio settings.

I never did all that. I just put it in and adjusted the settings based on something on screen. There's really not a lot of mystery to the things. There's an onscreen adjustment menu like any recent tube TV.

Miles
01-16-2010, 02:02 AM
that's interesting on the LCD VS Plasma life. Thanks, didn't know that.

Is it something that needs replaced on the plasma TV's or are they not able to be fixed then?

The life expectancy for LCD and non early generation plasma are roughly the same and pretty much a non issue.

booger
01-16-2010, 02:03 AM
Yeah. You can buy calibration DVDs on the internet. it basically walks you through as it puts up various color screens and images then has you adjust your video and audio settings.

I never did all that. I just put it in and adjusted the settings based on something on screen. There's really not a lot of mystery to the things. There's an onscreen adjustment menu like any recent tube TV.

That's good then. Nothing too tricky. I think there was some settings on the people that bought them then rated this model on consumer reports. I could always try that if i couldn't set it right.

booger
01-16-2010, 02:05 AM
The life expectancy for LCD and non early generation plasma are roughly the same and pretty much a non issue.

ok thanks. I'll probably pony up for the in home ext. warranty. should be around 150-200 or so in that price range of the tv. Never know if ya need those warranties but they are nice to have just in case.

Miles
01-16-2010, 02:07 AM
panasonic viera tc-p42x1

TIA

I don't know anything about the set but dell is selling it for $550 shipped.

booger
01-16-2010, 02:12 AM
I don't know anything about the set but dell is selling it for $550 shipped.

dell sells TV's too? didn't know that. I'll have to google it and check it out thanks!

wutamess
01-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Just took my TC-P54S1 back to Sears day before yesterday (Wednesday 1/13/2010).

I just couldn't do it any longer. I researched the hell out of TV's before I found a too good to be true deal from Sears before Thanksgiving. $1050 out the door with a 1080p 54 inch Panasonic (supposed to be top of the line) plasma.

Read all the reviews and couldn't find one that had issues with it.

Got it home bought a PS3 & TV stand the next day for it. Popped in the new Ice Age movie and I'm sorta digging the new TV. 1.5 months later I seemed to remember my aunt's T.V. WOWED me and my T.V. WHOAHED! me.

I then researched all the articles on how to calibrate the TV. What settings... How to access the service menu to calibrate the T.V. I thought I had it fixed. WRONG! The fugger still wouldn't POP or wow me. It was a little grainy. I've rented about 6-8 Blu Ray dvd's this week to see how the T.V. would perform.

All looked OK like a 720P picture instead of the wow factor I was looking for. I went to Best Buy during my lunch break Wednesday and spoke to someone about my situation. They seemed to be aware that Panny plasma's are the noisiest/grainiest of all the plasma's and Plasma's are more grainy in general. While there, I Saw Pixar's Up (blu ray) playing on an LCD and I was instantly WOW'd. I could see the little chin hairs on the old man's face the morning after they spent the night under the old man's house.

Later that day, I had a coworker help me load my Panny into my car to return it to Sears. The return was flawless, but the replacement T.V. is another story.

Another story: I then go to the Sears electronics department and there's one black guy there so I'm instantly thinking, Here we go... he's just here cause it's his job he doesn't really KNOW his job. You know, the stereotypical thoughts I'm sure you all think when in that situation.

Anyhow, he comes up and asks the standard, "Need any help"? I look him dead in the eyes and ask him, "how well do you know TV's"? He gives me a nervous grin so I'm thinking to myself, "awww, shit! here we go". I proceed to tell him I just returned my Panny because it wasn't giving me THAT picture. He looked at me like I was being a bitch about a T.V. I then took him to his Plasma blu ray display which had the movie Cars playing on it.

Now Cars is supposed to be one of the best blu ray movies you can get to test out your system. So we're looking at this plasma playing Cars and I attempt to plead my case that the picture isn't wowing me. He assures me that it's crystal clear. So to prove my point I take him over to the LCD display which had a blu ray demo disc on it. I ask him if I can take the Cars dvd out and put it on that T.V. to see if I get that WOW factor.

I put the dvd in, flip forward a few chapters and it's like this fugger has an epiphany. I didn't have to say one word. He's instantly wowed and immediately saw the difference I was referring to while I felt like a retard trying to explain it to him a few moments ago. So then we're on to select my LCD as a replacement. I chose the Sony Bravia 3rd generation.

I wasn't about to leave out of there without seeing Cars on my T.V. so I had him take a blu ray player and hook it up to the 52" Sony I was interested in purchasing. While the blu ray was playing I was tweaking the picture settings. While doing so it was like a light shown from above on my T.V.

It was truly breathtakingly perfect.

You could see Every dust particle under Lightning McQueen's fender and the tar when they were paving the streets was SO detailed.

Longer story shorted: I'm now loving the LCD.

Only drawback is my eyes now have to get used to how bright it is.
A coworker says it takes 2-3 weeks or so.

Movies now look like they're in 3d.

Unless plasmas lose their graininess, the edges of objects will not be crystal clear to create that, "you're holding the shooting camera" wow effect.

At best, with the Plasma I was able to obtain a 720p type picture while playing blu ray dvd's. Now it's like I'm watching Avatar 3d. 1 small victory this week. $550 more in the hole, but I got my T.V..

booger
01-16-2010, 02:48 AM
lol i was just rechecking some sony's and samsung LCD's before i looked back in this thread.

sears better have a cars dvd on hand.

lol

Thanks man

TigerPig
01-16-2010, 03:05 AM
lol i was just rechecking some sony's and samsung LCD's before i looked back in this thread.

sears better have a cars dvd on hand.

lol

Thanks man

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and tell you to keep going with your initial choice. It may not be perfect, but I have a feeling its SERIOUSLY better than what you have. Don't price yourself out looking at super-nice TVs, and then look at yours and think its a piece of crap. Likewise don't get bogged down on certain features missing and stuff like that. Its an HDTV, its nice, its big, and it will make your movies look GREAT. There is better, but for the price its a good choice.

wutamess
01-16-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm going to play Devil's Advocate and tell you to keep going with your initial choice. It may not be perfect, but I have a feeling its SERIOUSLY better than what you have. Don't price yourself out looking at super-nice TVs, and then look at yours and think its a piece of crap. Likewise don't get bogged down on certain features missing and stuff like that. Its an HDTV, its nice, its big, and it will make your movies look GREAT. There is better, but for the price its a good choice.

Not a choice of better. It's a choice of preference. I'm sure he can get LCD's of that size for around that price also (at Sears). Nebraska Furniture Mart has a pretty good scratch and dent section when it comes to that stuff I'd check out also.

Back to choice... I'd go LCD over Plasma all the way. Before I got in my pickle no one could convince me otherwise.

Smed1065
01-16-2010, 03:18 AM
own 2 Panny's and no problems in 4 years. One is a 720 but it is 50 inches and looks great. IMO

I love plasmas. Depends on use and room conditions though.

ExtremeChief
01-16-2010, 05:16 AM
I have a 42" Samsung Plasma 1080i and love the blu ray and HD Dish on it. My fear was burn in when I purchased it two years ago but I haven't had any problems. I researched for months before buying and Samsung had the best plasmas around. That may have changed in the last couple years though.

jjjayb
01-16-2010, 06:14 AM
I have a Samsung plasma, just got my in-laws a Panisonic plasma. I can see the difference easily. Much like the above poster, the Panasonic looks just okay. My Samsung has the "wow" factor. Funny enough, my Samsung is only 720p vs the Panasonic being a 1080p.

MoreLemonPledge
01-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I've argued plasma vs. LCD way too many times on this board, so I'll just say I got a 42" Panasonic plasma to replace my Samsung LCD and I couldn't be happier.

edit: Just noticed I actually have the same TV as what you're looking at. Terrific value.

googlegoogle
01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
depends on how bright your room is.

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Pioneer doesn't make plasmas anymore, so....

'Hamas' Jenkins
01-17-2010, 02:28 PM
The Panasonic G and V series plasmas are the best plasma TVs made, and annihilate the Samsungs. The X and S series are value lines.

gblowfish
01-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Last year I bought a 46" and 50" Panasonic Plasma, both were 1080i. I really haven't looked closely at the 720 stuff, but I really like the Panasonic product. Had very good luck with it.

BryanBusby
01-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Pioneer doesn't make plasmas anymore, so....

This. Pioneer got out of the plasma business and sold their technology to Panasonic.

This TV is actually cheaper with 20% Bing cashback btw

booger
01-17-2010, 03:53 PM
ended up getting it at sears. Happy with the choice so far and got the ext. warranty.

thanks for the advice and tips everybody!

BigMeatballDave
01-18-2010, 06:32 AM
The Panasonic G and V series plasmas are the best plasma TVs made, and annihilate the Samsungs. The X and S series are value lines.I have a Samsung plasma. 50". Bought it about a yr ago. I'm quite pleased with it.

kepp
01-18-2010, 07:18 AM

That's probably good advice. You'll certainly be able to find a $2K TV that looks better. IMO, the bottom line is that this is a really good deal on a solid TV. Personally, I've had a 50" Samsung plasma (720p) for three years now and it's been flawless. People told me that it has a shorter life expectancy, burn-in, glare, blah-blah-blah, but I haven't seen any of those things. I still have it set on 40/100 brightness and the picture hasn't degraded in 3 years.