PDA

View Full Version : Nat'l Security Obama making the same Mistakes as Truman, Bush, Lbj....

MarcBulger
01-17-2010, 08:51 AM
Sorry if this is a repeat.
War Presidents who tried to run the wars vs the Pres who let the Generals.....

I want a President who tells a General "This is the mission. What do you need?". Generals mostly know how to run the wars, they have been through years and years of training. Hell Obama has never even been a military supporter...

Look at wars that we won Rev, which was ran by a General, Civil (if your and aggression supporter, some of which I am), WWI and WWII. Operation Desert Storm, Presdients mostly stayed out of it, here is what I want accomplished, what do you need?

Look at Wars we "tied" or lost, or don't really know.... Korean War, MacAuther was fired over war stratagies, by Truman, that war ended (actually it has never been officialy ended) in a tie. LBJ and Nixon tried to run a political war in Vietnam telling Generals how to fight it...Bush was told they need more troops, for security, he finally gave in to the Generals on the ground and look how positive the SURGE has been..(Of which Obama voted against)

Now look at the War in Afghanistan, Obamas hand picked General asked for 10 fighting soldiers on the ground, he gets 6 and 1 social worker. I thought Obama was so smart...the telepromter pres...I see a long bloody battle in Afghan that will probably end with us leaving.....tail between our legs, and the Muslims celebrating...

donkhater
01-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I'd rather have a president who let the Congress decide who to declare wars on.

A declaration of war would happen so infrequently we wouldn't wringing our hands about whether or not who is calling the shots.

BTW, does anyone know when the last time Congress actually declared war on a country?

Sully
01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Lincoln stayed out of the Civil War?

Interesting.

HonestChieffan
01-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Lincoln stayed out of the Civil War?

Interesting.

It was Stan Lincoln. He ran off to Canada. Not kin to Abe.

banyon
01-17-2010, 10:44 AM
I'd rather have a president who let the Congress decide who to declare wars on.

A declaration of war would happen so infrequently we wouldn't wringing our hands about whether or not who is calling the shots.

BTW, does anyone know when the last time Congress actually declared war on a country?

Japan, December 1941.

(Actually it's our declaration of war on Romania in June of 1942, but Japan is the historical precedent)

SNR
01-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I was under the impression that Lincoln switched generals several times during the Civil War.

MarcBulger
01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Lincoln did change Generals, but it was after their plans failed. Presidents should tell Generals what they watn done, and let the Generals designthe stategies to do them....

HonestChieffan
01-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Lincoln did change Generals, but it was after their plans failed. Presidents should tell Generals what they watn done, and let the Generals designthe stategies to do them....

Ill Grant you that.

Saul Good
01-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Ill Grant you that.

I see what you did there.

RINGLEADER
01-17-2010, 01:47 PM
PERSIAN GULF WAR, AFGHANISTAN WAR, IRAQ WAR were all classified as Military Engagements Authorized By Congress but fell short of being declarations of war. Not sure if the application of force would have been different if the language was different but your points are generally correct. Though the Generals are not always immune to making bad decisions I agree that letting them determine what's necessary and not involving politics is the surest way to reach victory.

Royal Fanatic
01-17-2010, 01:59 PM
I see what you did there.
Oh Please. Stop Patton him on the back.

HonestChieffan
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Oh Please. Stop Patton him on the back.

Hey, tanks.