PDA

View Full Version : Music Any good music recommendations?

Mastashake
01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm open to suggestions. I like very energetic, high-intensity music. I listen to metal a lot, but my favorite is 90s Grunge. I like Nine Inch Nails, too.

I'm also not opposed to rap, though I rarely listen to it. I like Wu Tang, Nas and Jay Z and stuff like that (Hardcore?). Mostly cleaner beats and slower, enunciated lyrics. I actually like more laid back rap as opposed to the loud, angry stuff.

I know this is probably not the same type of music most people on here listen to, but its worth a shot. I'm just getting bored listening to the same old bands over and over, and want some new artists to listen to.

Inspector
01-19-2010, 05:35 AM
Vedera's latest album "Stages" has more of a pop sound but check out their first album, "Weight of an Empty Room" for a harder driving rock characteristic.

I really enjoy their entire body of work but they may not be the style you're looking for with a female vocalist and all.

Take a listen. See what you think. Link below has samples of the new album. Enjoy.

JD10367
01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Pandora Radio.

Mastashake
01-19-2010, 10:48 AM
These are good suggestions. I already know about Pandora. But when I put it on a Channel it seems like it only plays music I already know.

I like Deftones, Incubus, Chevelle, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Everclear's first two albums, stuff like that.

I also REALLY REALLY like System of A Down. Them and Nine Inch Nails are my favorite bands (but no one is like Nine Inch Nails, so I didn't bother with that). And I like Rage Against the Machine, but once again no one really sounds like them.

I don't get a chance to really listen to new rock where I'm at. All the stations are country, so even mainstream rock songs will help me out. I just am interested in new things.

KJROD20
01-19-2010, 11:19 AM
my 4 favorite bands are:

Bayside
Rise Against
Killswitch Engage
Thrice

I'd suggest those first since they're more or less up your alley.

MOhillbilly
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Sheer Terror

Radar Chief
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
I’ve been getting into Black Label Society lately. Zack Wilde’s band, and man that guy can play. No wonder Ozzy wanted to work with him.

Tylerthigpen!1!
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
people under the stairs- acid raindrops

KC native
01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
We have similar music tastes and if you want some high intensity music, check out The Mars Volta.

The best way to describe them is a wall of sound. They're sort of a harder version of Rush crossed with Pink Floyd. All of the instrumentation is amazing (they can get a little self indulgent on ambient noise at the end and beginning of songs on their albums but that's easy to avoid if you're not listening straight through). The lyrics are abstract and force you to go back and decipher them (don't try to understand them the first few listens though).

Amputechture is the album I would start with and move on to the others after that. It's their first album that doesn't have a unifying theme/storyboard to go with it. After that, I would go in order of release (deloused in the comatorium, frances the mute, bedlam in goliath, and octahedron).

Edit for video: Here is Tetragrammaton. They're doing it live and put a strange vocal effect on and give the song a slight twist from the album version but you can get the idea. That's actually one of the things that's awesome about them. I've seen them twice and they played a 3 hour set and 2 hours and 45 minutes and did some of the same songs but gave completely different twists to the songs compared to what's on the album.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I3TklzRULWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I3TklzRULWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

MoreLemonPledge
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Do you ever listen to Queens of the Stone Age? If not, check them out. While you're at it, you need to listen to Them Crooked Vultures.

Saccopoo
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Josh Homme's best side project (actually, one could probably say that everything he does is a side project) is The Eagles of Death Metal.

I've got two Mars Volta albums (Frances the Mute & Amputechture) and they get played as much as my Zappa albums, which is virtually nil. It's a hard, demanding listen and requires real focus to enjoy them. On the outside, it's a cacophony. Once you start peeling away the layers, the detail and complexity is tremendous, but it takes a lot of effort by the listener. Not for everyone.

The Dead Weather's new release, "Horehound," is rather interesting. Another side project of Jack White (White Stripes) and Dean Fertita (Queens of the New Stone Age), it's a hard funk rock sound that you might enjoy.

One album that I keep going back to time and time again is Black Mountain's "In the Future," which is a trippy, slightly heavy stoner rock sound. One of my top ten albums from last year, and I'm still really enjoying it and exploring it.

And if you want to go real trippy with some shoegazer meets Jesus and the Mary Chain meets folk on acid, go with Stephen McBean's (the main guy behind Black Mountain) other band - The Pink Mountaintops.

QuikSsurfer
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Grunge?
Check out "HUM" --- shame how overlooked this band was.
Also "Sunny Day Real Estate" album "diary"

QuikSsurfer
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Metal?
Check out "animals as leaders" song Cafo

thurman merman
01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
FOLK METAL!

Korpiklaani
Ensiferum
Tyr
Moonsorrow